Silver Wind Northern Europe & British Isles (Norway) July 14-31

WesW

Sweetpea711423, thank you very much for your very kind words--we're very happy you're enjoying cruising along with such. We estimate about 5% of the beautifully dressed women wear long gowns, most of the other very well dressed women have nice cocktail dresses on.

Thank you so much, Wes, for your helpful reply. I appreciate your taking the time to do that.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Best,

Barbara

Mr. Silver, we finished the wonderful Flam Railway trip just a few hours ago. We had moderately cold/rainy weather for our Flam excursion, meaning today's Silver Wind's tea time was the perfect event to warm our souls.

Ida and I just finished a stunningly beautiful Flam Railway trip. Please enjoy these borrowed words and our snaps helping show this gorgeous Norwegian train ride.

Credit to the Flam Visitor center brochure for these wonderfully descriptive words. Alas, the free wifi here at the Visitors center precludes downloading pix--so will post our snaps when we return to the Silver wind. An incredible Norway train journey -- a train journey making the steepest climb in the World The train journey from Myrdal to Flam provides a panoramic view of some of wildest and most striking examples of Norwegian Mountain landscape. Rivers cut through deep ravines, waterfalls cascade down the side of steep, snow-capped mountains, and mountain farms cling dizzily to sheer slopes.. At the foot of the mountains you can enjoy the sheer beautify of the Flam valley and admire the majestic Aurlandsfjorden a branch of the world's largest fjord, the Sognefjord.

The train ride takes about one hour to cover the 20 kilometer long track, through 20 tunnels totaling a distance of six kilometers

Nowhere in the world is there an adhesion-type railway on normal tracks with a steeper climb.

The Flam Railway is one of the Norway's major and most spectacular tourist attractions

Will post pictures in a few minutes....spoke with Lester our HD and will interview the provisions team tomorrow and

the Laundry team on Wednesday. So, was hoping to post another Silver Wind crew member profile snap along with the

Flam pix below--SW crew snap will have to wait until Tuesday evening.

The train ride takes about one hour to cover the 20 kilometer long track, through 20 tunnels totaling a distance of six kilometers. Nowhere in the world is there an adhesion-type railway on normal tracks with a steeper climb. The Flam Railway is one of the Norway's major and most spectacular tourist attractions. Will post pictures in a few minutes.

Appreciate your great postings, details, staff profiles, etc. Really looking forward to seeing your Flam Rail adventure pictures. We super loved that trip seven years ago while on the Silver Cloud. Keep up the wonderful sharing!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 217,836 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Love the Flam railway. Too bad it was rainy. When we were there, it was a lovely sunny day. We rode the railway all the way up, then hiked part way back down and picked up the train again. I was stressed out because we had to be at a certain spot at a certain time to catch the train, and I thought George was dilly dallying too much looking at stuff and taking pictures. But we made it.

Pix of The rapidly moving river twists and turns

e716a8d6d224f2db073d03525fd89c5c.jpg

This spectacular waterfall had the largest vertical drop of

120m

c0986e1d5b541ce1c5dc0c302dd75fbb.jpg

c421b6209dde854e36d1de3564c4f1a6.jpg

Ida is giving the Kjosfossen Waterfall a very big thumbs up

e0230590a3e79d7b598fca6b23bc466d.jpg

Ida doing her best to win over these two Flam tolls to ensure we have good weather in tomorrow's port--Alesund.

bc741a3404babc306e334ea9fcc1f183.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good afternoon Alesund, Norway.

Today's Chronicles referenced Fodor's Alesund summary: On three islands and between two bright blue fjord is Alesund, home to 38K residents and one of Norway's largest harbors for exporting dried and fresh fish. About two thirds of its over 1000 wooden houses were destroyed by a fire in 1904. In the rush to shelter the 10K homeless victims Germany's Kaiser Wilhelmina II led a swift rebuilding that married German art Nouveau with Viking flourishes, Winding streets are crammed with buildings topped with turrets, spires, gables, dragon heads nod curlicues. Today, Alesund is considered one of the few art Nouveau cities in the World.

This morning prior to meeting Ida for lunch prior to our Walking tour of Alesund with emphasis on its art nouveau architecture

decided to do a late morning run. Decided to turn left out of our Alesund port area, believing our walking tour will go left

where the preponderance of beautiful German influenced art nouveau buildings are.

Did note the Norwegian Jade berthed in front of the Wind. The Norwegian Jade has a little over 2400 pax, about ten times

the size of our beloved Silver Wind (currently we have 267 pax out of 290 on board)

Before turning left up Mt. Aksla, encountered the memorial "Seaward" and took a few snaps. Seaward features an Alesund fisherman's widow with her hand raised to her forehead looking anxiously out to sea. 33 Alesund seamen lost their lives across Seven fishing boats who died during a severe storm over a century ago.

Then I left for the Fjellstua viewpoint, where there are very well maintained 418 steps up to the near top of Mt. Aklsa.

This viewpoint at the top of Mount Aksla provides a panoramic view onto Ålesund, the archipelago, and surrounding mountains

Please enjoy a few snaps taken from the Fjellstua viewpoint including one that a Norwegian couple kindly offerd to take of me.

4983fb33794f013870aa0d1685d5b93c.jpg

c6832843f2172eeb5707d727b0295207.jpg

f8d0f5057fa3795740e5afdf55bd3942.jpg

71230f78a7888d62ac8b27543976c02f.jpg

4c6178e14b3cff58dfd25bc3d7a2e81f.jpg

Edited by WesW

love the pic of the tiny Silversea ship beside the monstrosity.

Hehe..... I was thinking the same.

Well, this trip has got me looking at flights and hotels to Oslo and Bergen for easy access to the region and sample at leisure. Might plan for next June though rather than this year.

Loving the review and photos Wes.

love the pic of the tiny Silversea ship beside the monstrosity.

Agree!! Super contrast in size between the Silversea ship versus the much larger one in that Alesund port. Appreciate these added pictures from Wes. Looks like your weather was a little challenged. Fortunately when we visited both Flam and Alesund in 2010 on the Silver Cloud, it was fairly sunny and clear. Good luck for improved weather and bright skies.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 183,365 views for this posting.

Thanks Rachel, Les and Terry for your kind words.

Later will post about our outstanding Walking Art Nouveau Alesund Walking tour.

Silver Wind Crew Member profile--Wind Provisions

Today let's me Nino, Provisions Man for the Silver Wind. Nino hails from the Philippines about an hour south of Manila. Nino leads a four man team, Issac (from India), Neil and John (both from the Philippines.

Nino is married to the beautiful Maya and he has four children two active teenage boys ages 15, and 17, and two very active girls ages 18 (18, 3)

Nino has worked with Silversea since 2003. He has served on almost every ship in his 14 years Silversea service. The first Silversea ship Nino had his first contract, the Whisper is also is favorite ship to serve on.

As the Silver Wind Provision Man Nino manages meats, poultry,seafoods, dry foods, freshProduce, hard spirits, wines,soft drinks, water, dairy products and paper products. Asked,

What he likes best about serving as Provision Man, he quickly answers he gets satisfaction knowing his team is helping satisfy Silversea guests food & beverage preferences.

Finally Nino let me what he like best about working on Silversea is working with the crew. He tells me Silversea treats all crew the same, making us feel like we are brothers and sisters in a family that is well taken care of.Like most about SS, crew

Thanks Nino & the Provision Team for making our Silversea on board cuisine & adult beverage dreams possible.

And thanks to Oliver, Hotel Stores Manager for the photo assist.

Provisions team (L2R) John, Neil, Nino, and Issac

aef1b5f6c6a7c73b7a4e6b893025974f.jpg

838bd32fd637b49ad83f628ffbcf1e24.jpg

8e4c9fc6156a2437a9c3ff6b7155694d.jpg

Nino heading Jovi, member of the sommelier team some spirits.

57cfc3f86c45d7668ada4f92b7e9b364.jpg

I really love these crew snapshots. Sometimes we forget that, like any complex machine, each part is essential to the operation of the whole. And I think it's a very special thank you to these wonderful people to feature the behind the scenes personnel along with the front of house staff. Keep 'em coming, Wes.(y)(y)

Thanks so much Brian, Cruisin Pashmina, and Tothesunset--really our pleasure to help showcase the hard working Silver Wind crew that toils for guests (especially below decks).

Alesund Norway is beautifully placed among several island at the entrance of world's most famous fjords and natural attractions.

Alas, in 1904 a devasting fire destroyed all thousands of Alesands wooden homes leaving 10,000 residents homeless. An immediate need to rebuild the city excisted. Thanks to German influence Alesund quickly rebuilt in the Art Nouveau architecture style. This meant all buildings had not sharp edges but were curves, decorated with turrets, spires and curlicues.

We enjoyed our three hour Alesund Art Nouveau walking tour yesterday. Please enjoy a few snaps and one of Ana (international Hostess), Ida, and I enjoying pre dinner cocktails in the Panorama Lounge.

eaa82da51828f324d93f39917af660c8.jpg

8770cec04ddee796b6f4874c155e4888.jpg

e356002db2d2d425db3909d909b09bab.jpg

6ae35cac370c4a257cf9b807ee04c6ae.jpg

84b8e60573f960c82b684f35c66694e6.jpg

Yes, Karen am following the WD (Wayne Dresscode) : )

Today, let's meet the Silver Wind Laundry Team.

Putra is one of the five members of the Silver Wind Laundry Team. *Putra serves as a Silver Wind Laundry Man (Washer)

Putra got married just three months ago--he is a newlywed!

Putra began is Silversea career in 2009, so now he has enjoy working over eight years with Silvers He started Silversea service back in 2009 and he began his laundry service as a Silver Spirit crew member when theSpirit sailed its maiden season. *This is the first time he has worked as a Silver Wind laundry tream member.

When asked what Putra likes best about working on Silversea,he tells me the the crew works/lives like a big family. *Putra also emphasizes his *supervisor treats the Wind Laundry team well.

Putra's Laundry Team duties include assisting his fellow (nite washer) of washing about 1000 towels a day, helping wash*30 bags of guest laundry, table linens

(over 1000 napkins and 1000 table clothes. *Putra's fellow Laundry team members include Kadek (the Silver Wind nite washer), Jamal (Laundry Master--he is overall

in charge of the Laundry team), Tondo and Subaheri who are the pressers (often using irons) to press the thousands of items the Laundry team washes daily.

When asked what is the toughest aspect of working in the Laundry--he emphatically mentions Transition day--since they have to wash/press all bed linens).

A hearty thanks goes out to the unsung heroes of the Silver Wind Laundry Team for helping us enjoy the Silversea experience by daily wearing

freshly washed/pressed clothes and sleeping in crisp/freshly washed linens. *

Thank you Putra, thank you Kadek, Thank you Tondo, Thank you Subaherii, and Thank you for leading the Wind Laundry Team Jamal.

Silver Wind Laundry Team (L2R, Petra, Tondo, Jamal, Subaheri

7809310368287922d217f8a44cc8a9cb.jpg

2733896a6ed6ef13fbc6fec6ed93c196.jpg

137f78c1234548c51fe227109a5de983.jpg

743d4dc8205e3c0b2611c6e398c33201.jpg

You know, of all the unseen hands that make our voyages I have often thought that the laundry team must be the hardest working but, maybe, the least appreciated. I find it astonishing that 5 people manage to take care of the laundry for the whole ship and still find time to iron my shirts to military specification!

You know, of all the unseen hands that make our voyages I have often thought that the laundry team must be the hardest working but, maybe, the least appreciated.

YES, that laundry work is very challenging. On another ship earlier this year, we did a "behind the scenes" tour, including for the laundry area. WOW!! It's hot and humid there!! We do not realize the number of sheets, towels, etc., that a cruise ship needs cleaned every day. AND, that work requires so much heat, moisture, etc. That makes the conditions there difficult. Great that you are recognizing the staff, saying thanks to them. Keep up the great sharing. Nice to see the familiar visuals from Alesund.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580