Silver Wind Northern Europe & British Isles (Norway) July 14-31

WesW

No Les, not sailing, we've had an invite for lunch but still awaiting full details

I'm sure that you will have an invite with all your pro-Silversea films and comments, they

must give you some sort of thanks

I think I've been overlooked! lol

I have put in an official VS request though... and emailed the form to GS.

I've unfortunately been too late to get on at Tower Bridge when the Wind returns at the end of this Cruise. At the end of July on its return I've missed the boat - literally.

Bon Voyage, Wes & Ida. Hope you have a fabulous cruise :D

So glad to hear that your flight on VA, organised by Silversea, was comfortable and on time.

Nice touch by Silversea to find a hotel where you could freshen up before boarding, rather than waiting around at the pier.

Watch out for errant drones as you head down the Thames :eek:

All the best

S&D

Hmmm ... I've not got the wrong sailaway date have I? Tower Bridge lifting times shows19.15 ana a two hour journey means it should be here now!

Looking at marine traffic, it's still at tower bridge! That's often unreliable!)

In the meantime there are now restrictions in place that covers Dartford bridge and to the west and much to the east, so definitely no close encounters. Light is fading fast now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea why the Wind has not sailed, but the tugs apparently sailed up the Thames on time, but then sailed back to their Woolwich den just after 8pm alone. Have checked the Port of London Authroity website, and they have the Wind sialing at 6 am tomorrow.

Dougburns..thanks Doug--Lynn is missed on board..well u too a little :).

Liptastic/Jean; Flossie009/David & Susan, Orange County Murphy; thanks so much for your Wind Bon voyage well wishes.

Les37b; we sped by u missed us..darn...no seriously--we were on deck 8 patio shooting pix/vid's. Waiting for the moment we would sail through the London Tower Bridge onwards towards Norway..about ten minutes after sail away time, Captain Arma came on and said due to a Nav tech glitch and tides we now would not sail away until 6 a.m. Just a minor hiccup as we will still make Haugesund on time Sunday or maybe just an hour late. Besides can u think of a worse place to spend a nite in London than the fab Silver Cloud.

JP..Monteza (head sommelier in LT) and Billie Ray (our server) provided us the absolute best/intuitive wine/cuisine service we have ever had on a near 200 days on SS. Asked antonio the restaurant mgr to come over to our table, and expressed to him our verbal kudos to Monteza and Billie Ray. We will make sure to pass on Chris and your very warm regards to Monteza.

Pls enjoy a pix of Ida & our almost sail away from London Tower Bridge, and some delish food & italian wine snaps from tonite's truly exceptional dinner in LT.

Btw, we met Ana (International Hostess) at lifeboat drill and hugs abounded even in our life jackets. Also, we spoke with Clive (shore excursion mgr) on boarding to synch our Norway excursions and to invite him to dinner. He surprised us with a dinner invitation at the Captain's welcome dinner tomorrow.

Also, took the time to speak with Lester (our HD) before the lifeboat drill. He is going to work our request to help profile members of the laundry, provisions, deck washing and galley teams. Lester also let me know SS is seriously considering stretching the Sprit from 538 pax to the Muse pax capacity 596/98 at next dry dock.

27a2af1f1a993b91641bddfb13a53b84.jpg

73a9c1c0945c392b9ecd7ee027ae2490.jpg

3a76ffa10648adc3cbdad04db54e7248.jpg

6e341ba7e9fde92171284789476ab542.jpg

c2377b950a74ce7a7ddfce904e9849b3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No idea why the Wind has not sailed, but the tugs apparently sailed up the Thames on time, but then sailed back to their Woolwich den just after 8pm alone. Have checked the Port of London Authroity website, and they have the Wind sialing at 6 am tomorrow.

Wes has drank all the Champers so they're having to wait for a new delivery!

I finally gave up st about 9.45 light was poor by then. In fact I was near packed up st 9.30 when I could see something in the distance, so got everything assembled again and alas it was s cargo vessel.

Unfortunately, marine traffic can be unreliable, so even though it showed she was still there, I couldn't be certain.

The tide here was very very low, so maybe that was the reason.

Rotten start though. Leaving st 6am won't be as nice as 19.15 . Not just for the crowds waving, but the sun will be head on.

Bon voyage 11 hours late!

Edit... ah... technical glitch then!

Are you on the right ship Wes?

Food (and Drink) look wonderful!

Thanks for saying hi to Albert. He is still leaving at the end of your cruise?

Besides can u think of a worse place to spend a nite in London than the fab Silver Cloud.

Edited by les37b

Les, and we enjoyed every drop of the Heidseck Blue top Champagne...btw..we let Albert know the "gadget guy" sends his warm regards..he was very happy. Albert and Zach are going to make us their best drinks (Zach--Margarita, Albert--Cosmo and or skinny Margarita) tomorrow prior to the Captain's welcome dinner.

Lester also let me know SS is seriously considering stretching the Sprit from 538 pax to the Muse pax capacity 596/98 at next dry dock.

Could you please inquire further. This would be a major undertaking, hardly possible (I should think) during the fairly brief Spirit dry dock scheduled for next year. Presumably they would not carry over the Muse dining arrangements. Or would they?

Wes; You and Ida are having way too much fun! Wish we were there, but, as you know, Miss Lynn has to have her CA mountain vacation with her sister for 5 weeks. Here I sit sweltering in the AZ summer heat baching it. Oh well, now she owes me. Have a great cruise. I'll enjoy following along.
Hop in your hot rod and head north a few hours into southern Colorado. Telluride is perfect right now!

Lester also let me know SS is seriously considering stretching the Spirit from 538 pax to the Muse pax capacity 596/98 at next dry dock.
If they move in that direction, I hope they reconfigure the suites like they've done on the Muse so that the lovelies that like to prepare for dinner at the foot of the bed on the Spirit won't be blocking passage of the gents. The Muse looks to have fixed this issue in spades.

73a9c1c0945c392b9ecd7ee027ae2490.jpg

Attaboy... duck on night number 1!

Good Morning London!

Brief note as we are sailing from London Tower Bridge (I hope) within the next half hour.

Rachel, our first dinner in LT was simple gustatorily speaking outstanding and service truly exceptional.

Observer--will talk with Lester (Hd) more tonite at Captain's Welcome dinner.

Doug, Brian/Stumbleknees idea is a keeper.

Today we have a culinary demo by Chef David, enrichment lecture by Capt William Wells on Norway. Tonight is Captain's Welcome then "Mind the Gap" show by the Silversea Singers.

Here are some Tower Pier snaps taken at 5:30 a.m as we prepare to head to Haugesund, Norway

896d980b394a1cd87abc68cfc534dedd.jpg

98eb1f4c90ac76b6d8e93db01fe2ff1d.jpg

5f387fe1079aa24e6c5c41c42ee70f5c.jpg

Thanks Les for the the terrific Wind graphics and fun well wishes.

Silver Wind Crew Member Profile:

Today please meet Roldan an Able Seaman who has worked as a crew member for Silversea Cruises for almost 17 years. Roldan started with Silversea in 2001 and is a proud member of the General Maintenance team.

Roldan's duties include (as pictured below) ensuring the Silver Wind's flags are hoisted and fly properly. He also performs maintenance duties across the ship from painting and fire patrol. His fav SS ship are both the Silver Shadow and the Silver Whisper.

Roldan is from the Philippines, is married to his beautiful wife Lunes. They are raising two active boys age 13 and 11 and will welcome their first girl to the family in September.

When asked what Roldan like most about serving/working on Silversea ships, he enthusiastically states, "Seeing the World for free and meeting such interesting people (guests and fellow crew)

7c56c6b0baf25eb4cc3087f43753dbf4.jpg

0061f255cc5bd67967bea36b14972c8e.jpg

89d33f021a8c70dab17baa8580e6fd0f.jpg

I certainly recognise Roldan. I'm sure they will appreciate the recognition their efforts don't go unnoticed.

You were certainly making up for lost time on your turnaround at Rotherithe. They usually take an age to get that completed. You were away and on your way after 30 minutes from leaving Tower Bridge. It's usually an hour!

You're in open sea right now (4 hours later) off the Kent coast north of Whitstable.

Did you spot the little white building when you turned? Called the Prospect of Whitby.

a88f88e041395af085f3b872d54d53ff.jpg

I'd just like to say that each tiime we head off on a cruise I have every intention of posting one of these CC diaries - a resolution that doesn't even last until boarding!

So great kudos to you, Wes, for taking us along on your trip and I especially appreciate the crew vignettes that you post. It is, after all, the crew that make SS special.

Thanks Tothesunset for your kind Words..seriously our pleasure

to share.

Mr. Silvers--we also hope the Norwegian weather gods smile on us.

Update, since we had to leave Tower pier about 12 hours late, we have canceled Haugesund port and are sailing straight to Flam.

Tonite was our first formal nite. We enjoyed having pre dinner drinks with Albert in the main bar (for les37b). We then enjoyed the Captain's Welcome before having dinner at the table of the Shore Concierge Manager, Clive. Pls enjoy a few snaps:

Mr. Silver will absolutely pass Mrs Silver and your warm regards along to Chef David.

4e33bf84c2049a033ff8180d6d74806f.jpg

7770d56a039a15ed2b8a457e45d57f03.jpg

bb05fdbe0dd0cd6dc4d1c443704cfa15.jpg

82b512d65ff42b83b3e75e4724c672ef.jpg

We are enjoying our second sea day since our first Norwegian port was canx'd due to a navigational tec challenge while docked @ the London Tower Pier. As Capt. Arma explained even tho our problem was fixed two hours after our debark time Friday at 5pm we missed the tides to safely allow us to cruise down the Thames to Norway.

We had an enjoyable dinner at the Restaurant last nite at the Shore Excursion Manager's hosted table. Exceptional cuisine (lobster 4 din, cherries jubilee ), wine, and lively conversation led us to be the last table to leave the Restaurant.

Ida and Sally (one of our hosted table mates) then adjourned to the main bar where they also closed the bar enjoying Albert's libation concoctions and Ida enjoyed few dances.

Both yesterday and today's sea days highlights included our L'ecole des chef, David Bisland

And featured enrichment speaker, Captain (Retired) William Wells (49 years at sea). Pls see the presentations his cooking demonstrations featured in the pix below (Chocolate Parfait, Poached Pineapple, Rum -Raisin ice cream;

Captain Wells does an excellent job giving guests highlights of the Norwegian ports we will soon visit. Today's lecture featured tomorrow's port, Flam and Alesund Norway. We look forward to experiencing the flam railroad ride as we recently enjoyed another stunning railroad ride in Dunedin, New Zealand.

Also, we enjoy Clive Jellico's outstanding shore excursion briefs daily at 5:30pm--he helps whet our excursion appetitive by sharing his experience in pix/words during his presentations.

Silver Wind Crew Member Profile (please see snap of the Wind's Stage Manager below)

Stage Manager, Silver Wind, Donald Cataluna

Has been working with SS since 2005, twelve + yrs.

What he loves best about SS, loves his work as stage manager, working with the broadcast/audio equipment. When asked after practicing his audio/broadcast tradecraft, what he likes most about working on SS, Donald emphatically mentioned, "he gets to see the World."

Donald is married and has two children both girls ages 20 and 17

When asked which is Donald's fav Silversea ship, he said, "Still looking, but looking fwd to working on the. Silver muse."

Upcoming Silver Wind crew member profile will be either the Wind Laundry or the Wind provisions team.

Tonite we have invited Chef David for dinner in the Italian restaurant on board, La Terraza.

2dee555b0604b64fb522a33955eced76.jpg

2649fe6bb80c8ea6848ef77536c8537d.jpg

8fd63bbf33536b339bc2fede33b5420e.jpg

95e4088e7f4d9bcbc1d351f87263cc1e.jpg

Thanks Tothesunset for your kind Words..seriously our pleasure

to share.

Mr. Silvers--we also hope the Norwegian weather gods smile on us.

Update, since we had to leave Tower pier about 12 hours late, we have canceled Haugesund port and are sailing straight to Flam.

Tonite was our first formal nite. We enjoyed having pre dinner drinks with Albert in the main bar (for les37b). We then enjoyed the Captain's Welcome before having dinner at the table of the Shore Concierge Manager, Clive. Pls enjoy a few snaps:

Mr. Silver will absolutely pass Mrs Silver and your warm regards along to Chef David.

4e33bf84c2049a033ff8180d6d74806f.jpg

7770d56a039a15ed2b8a457e45d57f03.jpg

bb05fdbe0dd0cd6dc4d1c443704cfa15.jpg

82b512d65ff42b83b3e75e4724c672ef.jpg

Wes,

I've been very much enjoying "going along with you" on your Wind cruise through your postings, since I will be on the Wind in September. I wondered if I might re-ask a question I had asked in a previous thread (to which you were so kind to reply). Your wife looks absolutely beautiful in her formal night dress. My question is whether there were other women that night who were wearing long gowns. As before, I'm wondering whether to take long gowns for our 3 formal nights. I would love to take them, but don't want to be the only one.

Thanks again for your help.

Sweetpea711423, thank you very much for your very kind words--we're very happy you're enjoying cruising along with such. We estimate about 5% of the beautifully dressed women wear long gowns, most of the other very well dressed women have nice cocktail dresses on.

We enjoyed a wonderful Italian meal with the Silversea L'Ecole des Chef, David Bilsland in

The Silver wind's La Terraza.

First, tho we headed for pre dinner cocktails in the Panoram lounge where the Head Bartendar, Zach promised to make us his very special Margarita--delish! A photo of David, Ida, Zach and I is shown below.

We then headed for dinner where we all ordered the outstanding Veal Milanese (lightly breaded veal loaded with fresh arugula). Thanks to Wolfgang (Head Sommelier on the Wind) and the La Terraza sommelier, Tes) we paired our veal milanese with a remarkable 2012 Antinori Guado de Tasso.

We capped our meal with some very nice Dark chocolate grappa, then Ida and I headed to the main bar to enjoy the trio and pianist as we danced.

WE arrive in Flam Norway about 7:30a.m (excited to finally be touring our first of 11 Norwegian ports). Ida and I have signed up for the Flam Railway and lunch at Valnathalsen. We will return from this excursion about 2 pm.

Thanks to Hotel Director Lester, I will meet with the Wind laundry team about 5pm to profile the next Silver Wind crew members.

Chef David, Ida, Zach, Wes

c515b324ae57cdf1865619c1d28f4666.jpg

Chef David, La T sommelier Tes, and Ida

f4dcb9c8b28674a9fa0c7ee221cdd13e.jpg

Duck Ragout--tho a slightly different sauce

1c2e139133a0997c7206e2ca74f03121.jpg

Delish Veal Milanese

4234bbb61356ad3fcaf60f9a5d92ebbb.jpg

Observer, you are welcome so much--we especially enjoy showcasing the very deserving Silver Wind crew. This afternoon at 5pm, fortunately get to interview the Wind Laundry team then hopefully take some snaps in their laundry work area.

JP, Tez (as Chef David affectionately refers to Monteza) continues to provide the most attentive sommelier service we have experienced on any Silversea or Regent ship. She collaborated with Wolfgang (Wind head sommelier) prior to our La Terraza meal to help select the delight pairing we enjoyed with Veal Milanese.

Good Morning Flam Norway.

Please enjoy a few snaps taken as we sailed about 5:45 a.m, down the Aurlandsfjorden--a branch of the Sognefjorden leading to our first Norway port stope--Flam.

Credit goes for these words goes to our daily Silver Wind newspaper, "Flam is a village in Flamsdalen, at the inner end of the Aurlandsfjorden. The name Flam is documented as early as 1340 as Flaam. It is derived for the Old Norse word fla meaning "plain flat piece of land."

7dfd643dd128a83e8f94e8dad2dfe779.jpg

1786d1fc61de9f70957d6e2d061150ac.jpg

aa95ff1773c1ac7c8a9fc2edcfb5c6f6.jpg

5eebb5a181f924b49397619c8f8a5e0b.jpg