Silver Wind Northern Europe & British Isles (Norway) July 14-31

WesW

Yes, I believe that is the policy unless the cruise is a L'École des Chefs voyage

You don't know how happy that makes me. I'm going on http://www.silversea.com/destinations/asia-cruise/hong-kong-to-singapore-3728/ in September, and it's marked "Ecole des Chefs / Gourmet Cruises." Do you think that meets the requirements?

Liptastic/Jean, Les37b/Les, rpfarris/Rich, SilverSpectre/Mr. Silver, RachelG/Rachel, Stumblefoot/Brian, thanks again for your cruise/health well wishes. Ida and I both were ecstatic to get the health clearance to continue to travel (cruise/fly). Rachel, am about 50% olfactory efficient, and the doc told me not to blow nose for 3 weeks. Will see an ENT pro in ATL when we get home next week tho.

Good Morning Stavanger, Norway!

Welcome to the Sardine Capital of the World, "Stavanger has always prospered from the riches of the sea. During the 19th century, huge harvests of brisling and herring helped put Stavanger on the map. During the past three decades a different product from the sea has been Stavanger's lifeblood--oil. Since its discovery in the late 1960's, North Sea oils hasn't just transformed the economy; Stavanger has emerged as cosmopolitan and vibrant, more bustling than other cities with a population over one hundred thousand people."

Norway's most international city, Stavanger has attracted residents from more than 90 nations Along the length of the harbor, on Torget, is a small daily market with colorful stands of flowers, fruit and vegetables. The area around the eastern side of the harbor makes up the towns shopping district, a bright mix of spidery lanes, pedestrian streets and white timbered houses now occupy the site of the original settlement of medieval Stavanger. Credit to Silversea Silver Wind daily newspaper, July 29, 2017.

Later this morning, Ida and I will enjoy a walking tour of Old Stavanger (Northern Europe's largest and most preserved wooden house settlement) and the Canning Museum.

Late this afternoon will meet with the Executive Chef (Frank Salazzo, from Southern France) and visit the Galley so we can profile hard working Silver Wind Crew members that are directly responsible for the terrific cuisine we have enjoyed over the past two+ weeks. And tonite we have our last Formal nite and the Captain's Farewell Speech and Crew parade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before sharing a few photos of the Silversea Silver Wind Captain and leaders docking the Silver Wind here in Stavanger let's take a look at the another beautiful port--our last port--in Norway.

Also, first see some snaps of Ida/us from last nite prior to another delish dinner in the Restaurant (Dover Sole, Chicken Oscar, paired with what we consider the most tasty Italian wine on the complementary list, 2014 Valpolicella Ripassa)

Snapped a series of shots of our Captain (Captain Arma) docking the Silver Wind earlier this morning. Next time will also take a vid of his masterful docking skills.

9ed17efb0b1a30072698c9f72066884e.jpg

36067cbf72b5c9b34e3c08ce26a50ad4.jpg

ea567eb4bab4ba47c628bce2fff4faba.jpg

d5bcf59d720896a9aa5d2c161d4b6207.jpg

Wes,

Great to see you both looking happy and of course elegantly casual.

Franck Sallazzo and his terrific cheffies created a wonderful meal of Indian cuisine when we were last aboard the Spirit.

Jolly Jones and David English USA enjoyed it with us!

I am looking forward to your galley visit pictorial and profiles.

Good Morning Stavanger, Norway! Welcome to the Sardine Capital of the World, "Stavanger has always prospered from the riches of the sea. During the 19th century, huge harvests of brisling and herring helped put Stavanger on the map. During the past three decades a different product from the sea has been Stavanger's lifeblood--oil. Since its discovery in the late 1960's, North Sea oils hasn't just transformed the economy; Stavanger has emerged as cosmopolitan and vibrant, more bustling than other cities with a population over one hundred thousand people." Norway's most international city, Stavanger has attracted residents from more than 90 nationsk

Appreciate, Wes, this added background on Stavanger, Our July 2010 cruise did not visit there. How do you rate this town compared to Bergen, Aleseund, Trodheim, etc.?? In your picture, it looks like you are healing and looking better. Right?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 218,349 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Spinnaker2/Candy; Thanks again for your kinds words--we did enjoy casual dress for yesterday's full day at Bergen. Candy, did mention to Chef Frank that y'all enjoyed the special Indian meal his talented chefs made on your recent cruise.

TLJOhio/Terry...Ida and I both loved Stavanger (after the North Cape, and Olden) Stavanger is in the top3 of 11 Norwegian ports we have visited this voyage. Will soon post some pix from our walking tour in Stavanger.

Silversea Silver Wind Crew profile

Frank Solazzo, Silver Wind Executive Chef.

Chef Frank is from Southern France is married and has been working with Silversea for about ten years.

His principal duties as the SW Xchef are supervising the 27 members of the galley team, 14 of which work in the Restaurant Galley. He manages 9 Chef De Patie's (in order the ranking chefs are: Exec Chef, Sous Chef, Chef De Patie and fourth in rank order is the one assistant chef on board the Silver Wind). So, about a third of his galley team (two work in La Terraza, one Chef De Patie is the Chef at the pool grill) are these hardworking Chefs (Sous Chef Vijay and Martin one of Chef De Patie's are two members of the Galley team Chef Frank selected to be profiled next).

Chef Frank tells me an average dinner meal the galley prepares about 170plates, for formal nite (e.g. Tonite) they plus up about 15% to about 220 plates. Each Silver Wind guest generally has about 5-6 plates each at dinner. Thus, the SW Galley prepares over 1000 plates at each dinner meal.

Chef Frank runs his Galley as the leader of a well trained team that executes (prepares) breakfast, lunch and dinner meals (and room service) flawlessly. When I asked Chef Frank to pick two galley crew members to profile, he loudly calls out in the Galley for Namaste, his nick name for Vijay his Sous Chef. Within seconds, Vijay appears with a broad smile (pls see a picture of Chef Frank and Vijay below)

When asked what is the hardest job he has as theSW Exec chef, he tells me to execute a dinner meal on a slow nite. The reason is the galley works like symphony during meals where he main dining room is near capacity (like tonight) and quiet when the dining room is less than half full (like late nites in ports like yesterday in Bergen (ship disembarked at 11pm)

I asked Chef Frank is Novovirus is a problem in his career on Silversea. Chef Frank he has not seen Novovirusbreak out on any ship he is on. However, he did mention there have been just a couple of guest,crew cases of Novovirus he has seen during his tenure with Silversea. Chef Frank explained they have a special sanction solution at high speed that is used to sanitize all fresh produce before prepared for meals.

Finally, Chef Frank showed me how a meat order is prepared by the Entremetier (meat cook).

There is a automated digital machine hanging in the galley that prints the order that is taken by a SW waiter. If the guest wants his/her rib eye medium--the Chef De Patie then sticks a colored peg in the paper and places it on the table # (63 tables) out in the dining room.

Sincerely, appreciated Chef Frank giving me a fascinating, marvelous Galley tour as he expertly

Explained how the SW Galley team works like a well rehearsed symphony -- endstate for this Norther Europe and British Isles voyage has been absolutely delicious.

Please enjoy a snap of Chef Frank, and then a couple of Chef Frank with his Sous Chef (Vijay) and one of his nine Chef de Patie's (Martin). Chef Frank stands in front of plate types made for tonight's meal. He has every type of dish/plated for his daily meal tasting (he tastes every plate whether served at Breakfast,Lunch or Dinner)

729a752325bb852eb37182448f9b4664.jpg

2ba027a6d5b2d048fe9c6d752924bee1.jpg

a9774c7edf80a3bc4217d5a65de52eab.jpg

76f520fb6060e337ddea7e8e79ea3580.jpg

f0961fae7334884bea75a8a2b15c72a2.jpg

Here is Jiu, a proud member of the Galley Pastry team standing in front desert plates he is preparing for tonight. In the back ground is the ice cream machine that the SW Galley team uses to make our Ice Cream we enjoy on board. Chef Frank let me know that the only ice cream they have to purchase is Zero-Zero.

be5fbaf2bedf2cb56470a5f668fb0adc.jpg

Edited by WesW

Please remember, our intent in profiling Silversea Silver Wind crew members is to generally profile those crew who don't get told Thank You by the guests due to working behind the scenes (Galley below decks)

Silver Sea Silver Wind Crew Member Profile, let's meet the Silver Wind Sous Chef

Vijay, is the Wind's Sous Chef and has been working on Silversea ships since 2009. He likes all the Silversea ships to ply his talented Sous Chef skills but is slightly partial to cheffing on board the Silversea Silver Spirit.

Vijay, hails from Bangalore India and is a newly wed--he got married just ten months ago. He keeps in touch with his beautiful wife via internet and told me his is very thankful for the new Silversea crew internet policy of allowing each crew member 30 minutes of internet time daily.

What led to Vijay becoming a chef? He developed his love/passion for cooking during his time at the Indian academy of catering.

Vijay' principal duties as the Silver Wind sous chef is supervision of the six cooks that make up his team and the Chef de Patie (Martin). Vijay' fav dishes to prepare are Dover Sole (can tell you our cruise friends Gary and Carol had the Restauran't Dove sole special ordered last nite 24 hours early and told Ida and I it was outstanding) and making Lamb (fav recipe is Lamb made with parmesian crust, marinated in Dijon mustard and seasoned with a variety of chopped herbs

When I asked Vijay what what his hardest duty as the Wind Sous chef, he quickly answer, "nothing, I love cooking."

My impression after spending about an hour+ in the Wind Galley -- Chef Frank's team led by his second ranked chef Vijay are responsible for a content/happy galley team that has led to extraordinarily delicious cuisine.

Thank You Vijay!

59287de48ea97ad8ca6080fd2b181ba9.jpg

9b79b9262baff4878981f06014a76bed.jpg

Silversea Silver Wind Crew Member profile, Chef de Partie (Martin)

Please meet one of nine Chef de Partie's on board the Silver Wind. Chef De Partie's (french words) are the 3rd ranking chefs on board the SW. The Exec Chef, Sous Chef and then Chef de Parties (last & fourth rank is the Assistant Chef) are the levels of cheffing on board the Silver Wind

Martin has been serving with Silversea for just two months, he hails from Germany (near Berline) and has served previously on luxury cruise ships (Hapag-Lloyd, and Europa2,). Martin is single and looking for a life partner/wife.

When asked what his Chef De Partie main duties were, Martin told me he is responsible for all room service orders and preparing the vegetarian dishes for dinner meals before handing them off the Entremeiter for final cooking.

Martin tells me--there is really no hardest duty of his chef duties--he enjoys cooking.

Thank You Martin (Ida and I generally order the vegetarian dish every nite at dinner--along with a delish main course (most often fish)

59182a986cea2c7d79bd4c76bee78ba7.jpg

31a7c2184812b99b389cfe45172ba9df.jpg

Other folks may have different opinions but I do like the SS ice cream. I usually finish off lunch with it and sometimes dinner. Now if I could figure out a way to have it for breakfast. Great to know that it's made on board!

Thanks for all these profiles,

Melissa

Hi Wes Great that you are recovering and hopefully you will be back to full operation soon. If you see Vijay again please pass on our greetings to him (mr John & Mrs Joy) he was excellent at making meals which made our taste buds tingle. We always say hello to every crew member we meet during the day. Thank you for speaking to Albert .

Once again thanks for the pictures of your adventures perhaps we will meet somewhere in the world .

MHF/Melissa, joe_90/Mr. John And Mrs. Joy; our pleasure to share a little more about the background of the hard working Silver Wind crew. Mr. John/Mrs. Joy--will pass your very warm regards along to Vijay today (our last seaday before arriving at London Tower Pier early tomorrow morning.

Good Morning from the North Sea as we head to our final port of call this cruise, Vic London Tower Bridge as the Tower Pier, London.

We should arrive about 3 a.m., tomorrow morning, per Marine Traffic app as head south from Stavanger, Norway to the United Kingdom and then down the river Thames to the Tower Pier.

Yesterday, we enjoyed a wonderful walking tour of Old Stavanger, Norway and it renowned Sardine Canning Museum.

Stavanger is a simply beautiful Norwegian city nestled in a compact small Harbor that the SilverWind comfortable docked in next to a mammoth AIDA cruise ship.

We started our walking tour (was raining for first time in 15 days) heading in Stavanger's city center. Our exceptional guide Catherine briefly explained that in the 60's/70's Stavanger was undergoing hard times, however Philips petroleum asked the Norwegian Government to look for oil and found it--leading to then and now a very prosperous Norway in General and Stavanger in particular.

We headed to the famed brightly painted/colored shops/bars along the busiest street for tourists/locals in Stavanger. Next we meandered in front of Stavanger's Valberg Tower/cathedral--the oldest cathedral in Northern Europe. Ida noted the beautiful flower container gardens in front of this magnificent old cathedral.

As we continued to be guided in beautiful, Old Stavanger by ourwonderful tour guide Catherine. She regaled us with the entertaining history of Stavanger's Harbor area. Catherine then took us to the famed "White Wooden House" Neighborhood. Here there are approximately 170 Century+ old (beautiful restored on outside, and kept up with modern interiors of today) while wooden homes.

we headed to the main harbor before heading to Stavanger's Sardine Canning Museum.

Please enjoy some photos our our Stavanger Walking tour below.

9fe1ae4c8adfaaf13a9cf887afcce021.jpg

2f2a0d38e22302823b04d73a0d62cddc.jpg

5d93ec315cd06e1497a5315d612ebb56.jpg

dd8fb40baf2394d864ab2797d51289ed.jpg

bc1c39e93a996f26c61ae276be49c7d6.jpg

9582a72bc4648f09645ca73af3dd8ae0.jpg

WesW,

Really fascinating overview of the team who is responsible for great food on Silversea! The experience is much more interesting when you get to know everyone behind the scenes.

I wish SS provided a profile overview of the people in the galley prior to boarding so I could better understand their potential area of specialty (Indian, French, etc.). Looking forward to the experience.:ship:

Glad to see that overall you had a great trip.

Thank you mdpa; as I was listening to the Sous Chef last nite--pined that we did not order Dover Sole during this voyage or have a special Indian meal. Frankly, Ida and I were consumed with enjoying the stunning beauty Norway's coast/fjords offer 24/7.

This Norway voyage on Silversea's Silver Wind was outstanding plus due to the visual beauty actually stunning visual beauty of Norway's majestic fords. However, having Chef David, Silversea's L'ecole des Chefs on board kicked Ida and my enjoyment of this voyage up many notches.

David has conducted about a half dozen exceptional done cooking demonstrations for us during our sea days. Yesterday Chef conducted an appetizer workshop and today he presented his final cooking demonstration. The head sommelier Wolfgang (exceptionally talented/knowledgeable of SS wines) poured two delightful complementary wines that paired seamlessly with the appetizers.

After Chef David was done with this morn's cooking demo, he offered the fish he prepared (Turbot with Morel mushrooms) to any guests who would like some. Geez, about two dozen guests crowded the Parisian lounge stage as David dished out this tasty fish treat.

Please enjoy some snaps from yesterday's Chef David's appetizer workshop and today's final cooking demonstration. Bravo Chef David for enhancing our Silver Wind experience by sharing (teaching & training) your culinary skillset with eager Silver Wind guests.

3035c03d91f4ccf31b50987048a24876.jpg

1dfff89903996e7e7680a9b91b3e8567.jpg

868515de135fc8b410f11721a6a460ed.jpg

7548759424d008ffb2ef72509bb35712.jpg

c0f6b30ee2de86df9ed3b7c412d7449e.jpg

f7c104c3cb9a18dd1bcd3258495d8a9f.jpg

Wes, thanks for the great writeup about the chefs. Enjoyed cruising along with you. Sorry it's almost over, but enjoy the sail up the Thames.

We just changed planes in Atlanta on our way home from SFO. So leisurely...didn't even have to change terminals. You'll probably be back here soon too. Safe journey home, and hope that broken nose continues to heal nicely.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

TLJOhio/Terry...Ida and I both loved Stavanger (after the North Cape, and Olden) Stavanger is in the top3 of 11 Norwegian ports we have visited this voyage. Will soon post some pix from our walking tour in Stavanger.

Appreciate this follow-up and how both of you so loved Stavanger. Good to know about this town and its qualities. Also, super love the pictures and details about the kitchen staff, their skills. Great reporting and sharing!!

Looking forward to visuals and details for when you are sailing up the Thames.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,148 views for these postings.

Jpalbny/Jp, Spinnaker2/Candy, Flossie/009/David & Susan, Emtbsam/Victoria, TLCOhio/Terry; Wonderful to have had y'all join us on this wonderful Silver Wind Norway cruise--thank you for your keen interest and comments too! And a very special thanks too for your safe travel home well wishes. Jp, speaking of enjoying the cruise up the Thames tomorrow morning--just learned from Clive (Silver Wind outstanding Shore Excursion Manager) that instead of arriving about 3a.m, we will now arrive about 9 a.m (Tides). Some pax anxiety level has now gone up since they booked flights that depart early. Hope Les37b is reading, believe LDA (Les Drone Air) will now have good viz to film the arrival of the Wind into Millennium/Tower Pier. Will also be up and take some snaps of our last hours on board this terrific voyage.

An hour ago, enjoyed Cruise Director Big Bob's lecture, "Adventures in a 30 year career as a cruise director." Very entertaining walk back into Bob's experience with the cruise industry in the mid eighties (Costa, Celebrity, Crystal, The World, and now Silversea) to today. Most significantly, Bob ended his talk, sharing (included CBS new vid) that his wife Colleen and he have a non profit. Free2BeMeDance.com. This remarkable non-profit dance company is focused on teaching children with Down's syndrome how to dance (Ballet, Jazz, Hip Hop, et.al.). Amazing, when we learn more about our Silversea Crew leaders and how they give back to make a positive difference in lives of others.

Edited by WesW

Wes, that's great news about your arrival time (as long as flights onwards are all ok.) Missing out as you did at the start, I guess this is great compensation! I think arriving is nicer with the music sounding out rule Britannia as you sail through tower bridge.... and with daylight, you will have people waving and cheering.... as long as they checked the timings have changed!

Unfortunately, I'm not able to see you in ... though definitely would have done if I was at home and able to. (Sorry!)

Bumps and bruises aside plus the initial start failure causing the missed port, it's safe to say we know you had a wonderful time on the Wind and along with everyone else, would like to thank you so very much for bringing us along with you both plus your crew portfolios which are a great touch.

Have a safe flight home and say a special farewell to Albert.....