Over the counter medications

jillewood

My upcoming cruise on Carnival Elation will be my first. I have a question about over the counter medications--can you bring unsealed medications onboard--things such as ibuprofen, tums, Benadryl? Also, should they be carried on or in other luggage that will be delivered? Thank you for any assistance you can give me--I couldn't find any clear answers on Carnival's website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can take prescription meds and OTC meds on your cruise.

You may put them in your carry on or in your checked luggage.

I use my carry on just to be sure I have them when I need them if my checked luggage is delayed.

Happy sailing.

But...the OTC meds need to be unsealed or brand new? That's my real question--thanks so much--I'm leaving tomorrow for Jacksonville!

Either, it really doesn't matter if you bring a store box, an individual blister pack, or loose pills thrown into a bottle or a weekly day to day container.

Carnival really doesn't care, and if you brought just enough for the cruise plus an extra JIC, US Customs shouldn't mind either at debarkation.

Does the same apply for prescription meds? I thought I read somewhere that prescription meds had to be in the original container, not in a pill box or loose. Thanks for any information on this.

I always take my prescription meds in the daily container. For my own comfort I have a list of them with daily dosage, but never had a worry about having them divided out into the handy daily container.

I don't take the original bottles or a copy of the actual prescriptions.

I take opened, partially used bottles of OTC meds all the time. Advil and Bonine are expensive on board!

I put all my prescriptions in one or two weekly pill boxes.

Then, just in case, I have copies of the top half of the scrips description and bill to carry with.

I have never been asked to show them , though.

I take a lot of meds and my first cruise I had a whole suitcase just with my prescription bottles. I got questioned for having so many meds. :o I learned my lesson. Now I parcel out what I need in a travel size daily medicine case and make sure i have a few extra just in case we decide to take an extra day or two to get home. However, if you have any prescribed controlled substances you are planning on bringing then YES you need to bring those in the original container in case you are stopped.

Save

Does the same apply for prescription meds? I thought I read somewhere that prescription meds had to be in the original container, not in a pill box or loose. Thanks for any information on this.

For the Caribbean, I use a pill box. I print a list of my prescriptions from my pharmacy and tuck it in my bag. And I usually have a couple of extra days worth with me too, just in case.

Carnival is not in the business of monitoring your prescription or over-the-counter medications. They are not a DEA agent.

Unless you use a "scheduled" narcotic, carry them and pack them however you wish.

Some of you are really over-thinking this or are just "worriers".

Not worrying just wondering since I'm new to this.

Do what makes you comfortable since you're obviously not trying to smuggle illegal drugs.

Let your biggest worries be do you want a welcome aboard drink, and how many appetizers do you want at dinner.

Hope you have a great cruise and that you come back afterwards and tell us all about it.

Happy sailing.

My upcoming cruise on Carnival Elation will be my first. I have a question about over the counter medications--can you bring unsealed medications onboard--things such as ibuprofen, tums, Benadryl? Also, should they be carried on or in other luggage that will be delivered? Thank you for any assistance you can give me--I couldn't find any clear answers on Carnival's website.

Yes you can.

Some of you are really over-thinking this or are just "worriers".

lol, I was thinking that too.

For most people, unless you are bringing a few kilos of "medicine", nobody is going to give a flying flip about it.

OP enjoy your cruise. It is smart to bring OTC medications with you as they charge an arm and a leg to buy it onboard.

I bring OTC with me just for the sake of not having to by them on the ship if I need them. My last cruise on the Elation I came down with a bad sinus infection the second day and had to suffer through it because I was to cheap to by it on the ship. I ended up buying some medications in Nassau, and the drug store nearest to the dock only takes cash and what the had was expired.

I bring a travel tube of pain reliever, small bottle with benadryl in it. Supplements are put into one of those weekly pill minders. Prescriptions are in prescription bottles. I had my pharmacist print a label & put it on the smaller bottle and I put what I need for my trip plus a few days extra (in case we were late due to weather, etc.). I've never been questioned on a ship or a plane. By the way, one of the supplements I take is ginger capsules morning & evening just in case of rough waters.

All meds/supplements are packed in carry on luggage since they would be more difficult to replace if my luggage were lost.

I put most of my meds in a pill box. The 2 that I have that are controlled substances I take in the bottles with labels. If anyone ever wants to know what all the other ones are all I have to do is log on to my pharmacy app and there's my Rx history. In all my travels I've never been questioned tho, and I don't know anyone who has.

We have a small bag of OTC meds that we take on all cruises, just in case. DH has come down with sinus issues on a couple of trips, not fun.