First time Caribbean for mom and daughter

marina.diom

Hi everyone,

As many other first-time cruisers, I'm getting overwhelmed. I've called a few travel agents and looked at some websites as well as here on CC but thought it might be better to ask the experienced people.

Here are a few details about us:

1. We've never been on a cruise, I live in DC area. My mom is from Ukraine (not much english but I"ll be there to translate).

2. Looking to go in winter around January - February (I was told prices are better in January, second week).

3. Willing to fly to Florida and leave from there.

4. Budget for a cruise (without flights/hotel to and from Florida) would be up to $2500. That would include cruise, drinks, and stops at ports. Is that a realistic budget?

Here are some questions I have now:

1. It seems that most frequent cruise lines that come up are Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Norwegian, Holland America. But I'm not just dedicated to that. Which ones would you recommend? I know there are fans of each.

2. I called Costco travel agent and they had some interesting deals for Celebrity. What are people's experience with those? Is it worth it?

3. Is it true that Eastern Caribbean might be better for nicer/not super crazy party/activity? As compared to Western? I'm flexible on destinations. But would love the advise about at sea vs. port times, and which ports would have nicer beaches (east vs. west, or even south?).

4. My mom would like probably a wow factor (ship entertainment, cool shows) but I don't want to have too many children or younger people partying all the time around. Would Celebrity be better?

5. It seems that NCL is not that high end. Costco travel agent had a deal with on-board drinks for about $2,000. That seemed interesting. We are not heavy drinkers but would like to have a few, probably 5-6 a day tops.

6. Am I right in thinking that interior room would be fine if we want to spend time outside of the room? Is my money better spent on port excursions or elsewhere on the ship?

I think I'll stop now. Would love to hear advise. Thanks so much to anyone responding in advance.

Carnival, RCI and NCL will have a goodly number of families with kids. Bear that in mind. Celebrity, Princess and HAL....some kids, but not quite as many, generally speaking. Not as many "bells and whistles" on their ships, either. I mean, are you looking forward to a rock climbing wall or zip-line? That's what the newer, more expensive, bigger ships have...and part of the reason they cost more!

All of the cruise lines have evening entertainment...no worries!

If you are only going to be drinking 5-6 drinks per day, then you will really need to weigh the drink package prices...it may not be worth it to pay the package price...simply buy the drinks you want, when you want them.

Yes...an inside cabin is almost always the least expensive way to go. There are PLENTY of "public" areas with grand views! Once you get ready to book, check the deck plans for the sq. footage of the cabin you'll choose....the sizes can vary from teensy, to simply small! Ship cabins are nowhere near the size of a hotel room, until you get to the "suites"!

ANYPLACE in the Caribbean will be fine! We prefer the Eastern route...gorgeous beaches and seas!

I recommend you get a guidebook on your potential ports (libraries are great!), and decide what interests you. Rarely do you need to pay for excursions, either thru the ship or privately. US Dollars are accepted everywhere, and with few exceptions, English is widely spoken! A DIY day is the cheapest way to have fun...but research is key to the fun...get a guidebook!

Go to a local travel agency and ask for some brochures....get a "feel" for each cruise line. They can really give you some good advice, too!

Hi there and welcome. :) First things first, we are not permitted to name or discuss travel agents/agencies on these boards. Just a heads up.

You'll get a lot of differing advice but that's because you are right, we all have our favorite lines and ships. I'll address a couple of your points instead of saying go with this cruise line or that cruise line. You'll have to do your research and make up your own mind. Having said that, I feel a cruise is what you make it, and no one line suits absolutely everybody. We have cruised four different lines and have likes and dislikes about each.

Our favorite line is Royal, but we have cruised with Celebrity and loved them as well. They are a step up from RCI with (arguably) better food and service, but usually being more expensive. PLUS there is no indoor smoking allowed anywhere and that is wonderful if you are at all sensitive about smoke.

An interior room is great for some, and a definite "no" for others. We had one our very first cruise and did not like it; hubby kept leaving the room to see where we were, what the weather and temperature outside was, and for other reasons. We felt cramped and claustrophobic, but others LOVE them because they are cozy and dark and less expensive. See? Up to you. ;)

What I would also suggest is that you have a day or two at the beginning of your cruise in your embarkation city in Florida. In January, frequent snowstorms can cause chaos and you may be delayed getting into Florida. My advice is do NOT plan to fly in the same day as your cruise leaves. It's awesome to have a few days in Florida to relax and unwind before starting your cruise.

Others will come along shortly with their advice. Have fun planning. :)

Welcome to CC. We started with interior cabins which were just fine and did sleep really well. Have since cruised in a variety of cabins including ocean view, balcony and even a suite for very special occasions - enjoyed each one and were able to stay in budget. On Caribbean stops we rarely do an excursion - research the internet for information about the stop and you can plan a day that meets your needs. If you want to wow your Mom you might consider one of the newer, mega ships like Allure or Oasis. Finally, the second week in January is a great time to cruise, kids back in school and warm weather when it might be winter at home. Good luck.

Finally, the second week in January is a great time to cruise, kids back in school and warm weather when it might be winter at home.

Welcome to CC!!

I agree that later January/early February is a good time to cruise as kids will be in school.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you everyone who responded! Very helpful.

The more research I do, the more I change my mind. But I've got time and will continue doing so. It does seem now that wow factor (bigger ships/entertainment) brings me to RCI - Harmony, Allure, Oasis. I think it would be exciting to watch some cool shows, Solarium on those ships looks great and more relaxing if we want to escape the kids.

I just seem to think now that Celebrity has greater food/more stylish, but not as much entertainment. Basically that it would be too quiet.

I think by now I'm pretty set on Eastern Caribbean as destination. So it will be the matter of finding better deals.

Speaking of RCI - does anyone have experience with sailing out of NY or Baltimore? Those are more limited options but they are closer to us. So I need to assess those compared to Florida ones. Are they just not as good of cruise experiences?

It does seem now that wow factor (bigger ships/entertainment) brings me to RCI - Harmony, Allure, Oasis. I think it would be exciting to watch some cool shows, Solarium on those ships looks great and more relaxing if we want to escape the kids.

The WOW factor can also be found on the ships in Freedom class and even Voyager class, in my opinion. Beautiful centrum areas, Royal Promenade (like a mall down the center of the ship) without the cost of the newer ships.

Speaking of RCI - does anyone have experience with sailing out of NY or Baltimore? Those are more limited options but they are closer to us. So I need to assess those compared to Florida ones. Are they just not as good of cruise experiences?

I did a quick search on the website and there are several cruises from both Baltimore and Cape Liberty, New Jersey. They are all 9 + nights, and remember that the first and last couple of days will be very cold sailing from and back to those ports in January. ;) If you want warmth in January, you might want to start in Florida.

You can go to the website and search, or have a travel agency do this for you.

Sailing out of New York is a great option if you live near the city. The savings on flight (and hotel , because you NEVER want to fly to the port on sailing date -especially in winter) can be used on better accommodations on the ship.We've done it a number of times - by afternoon of the first full day you will most likely be in 60 - 70 temps. Your last full day will be chilly.

If "wow factor" and good entertainment are tops - Royal Caribbean is a good option. Eastern Catibbean has much better beaches and more interesting ports. NCL from Manhattan does not have as good food or service unless you pay for specialty restaurants -also their ships tend to feel very crowded.

For five or six drinks per day, the package might not make sense - -especially considering the in port days with many hours ashore.

Probably better fares and fewer children will be from mid-January to mid-February. You really do not need to pay for ship's excursions - most islands you can do on your own using taxis - for much less cost. Take the time to read up on each port, so you can plan in advance your activities.

Once you select a cruise, join the Cruise Critic roll call to get ideas from fellow passengers and possibly plan joint activities.

Our own preference would be Celebrity or HAL - for atmosphere, food and service, but I am inclined to think you would be happy on Royal Caribbean.

Congratulations, you've picked a wonderful way to spend your vacation dollar. You have a daunting task ahead of you, but by doing research and planning properly you should make it through your first time unscathed. The fact that you even know about Cruise Critic is a great thing because you have a major leg up on others that fly blind or just take the advice of an agent who possibly steers clients toward those cruise lines that they make the biggest commission on.

If you're going to be enjoying six drinks per day, don't necessarily dismiss the drink packages. Depending upon the line you choose, many are all inclusive and include bottled water, hot and cold espresso based coffee drinks and other drinks as well.

Celebrity and Norwegian both have packages that include these as perks. Good luck with your research.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I would not focus on the big and new ships. Look for value and itinerary. You have never been on a cruise. ANY ship will seem huge to your Mom, and They will all have wow factor. I'm going to go against everyone and recommend Carnival. Carnival Glory has a good eastern Caribbean itinerary out of Miami. At that time of year, it will not be a party crowd. I would not take a 7 day cruise from the northeast in Jan/Feb. because they won't get you farther than the Bahamas, which would have the same basic weather as Florida. Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose the east coast and Florida departure ports, then you dates. See what there is to choose from. EM

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the magical and addictive cruising! I would agree with others that leaving from NY or the other up East ports will likely result in you only seeing the Bahamas. Nothing wrong with that, but there are far better ports further south. One suggestion would be to do a "mock" booking for whatever cruise line/ship/itinerary you are thinking about. Some have been shocked when they realize that the prices quoted on cruise line and TA sights often do not include port taxes and fees and gratuities. By doing a mock booking you can see the total cost. I also agree that from what you have said, the drink package may not be a justifiable expense for you. Most packages only get to a break even point when you plan on having several more drinks per person per day that you indicated. Your first cruise will be an exciting adventure for you and your Mom! Get it booked then relax and enjoy the ride!

It won't be cold.... you'll be farther south than Florida! It will be a great time to cruise, and the ships will be decorated for Christmas. Another plus is that you'll be sailing before schools break for winter holidays.

Seriously I think you are over thinking the ship aspect. Pick the one which has the price you are willing to spend! Pick the one that has ports you want to visit. They all offer good food, they all offer interesting decor and they all offer shows and entertainment. Pick the one that you won't have to pay an arm and a leg for to get to the port.

First, don't overthink this......really any cruise line will be fine, although RCI really does have a nice Wow factor. The line you pick for your first cruise is not that big of a deal. You will probably be so overwhelmed and in awe of everything that any line will be amazing to you. We started with RCI then decided that was not what we were really looking for in a cruise, you will learn as time goes (and you try various lines) what works best for you.

Sounds like you are looking for a get away and wanting to give your Mom something nice. I would fly to Florida or Puerto Rico and go from there, because as others have said, you want to go south in Jan/Feb. I would look for a line that offers a cruise that interests you at the price you want to pay. I would calculate what you think you might spend per day on drinks and then determine if a drink package makes sense...it usually is a better deal to pay as you go, but not always.

As for the room type....are you a person that will rarely spend time in the room? Then inside will be great for you. But, if you are someone who wants to hang out in the room most of the day then an inside might not be your best choice. We always book inside and love it - but it isn't for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruise booked, RCI Allure in December with some complimentary dining at specialty restaurants and a small credit for beverages; sodas. So excited. Now onto exploring our ports and planning for that. Thanks to everyone who patiently answers newbie questions. My mom and I can't wait!

You certainly picked a ship that has the wow factor that you were looking for. Remember to sign up for your roll call and get others opinions as to what they will be doing in each port. Maybe you'll be able to get involved with an independent tour from the roll call. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I am going on a September cruise - Royal Caribbean, Oasis of the Seas (this ship alternates eastern and western Caribbean), 7 night leaving from Port Canaveral (people fly into Orlando) and paid about $1800 for two for a balcony (taxes and port charges included but not tips). You may want to take a look at that ship. I love Royal Caribbean.

I am going on a September cruise - Royal Caribbean, Oasis of the Seas (this ship alternates eastern and western Caribbean), 7 night leaving from Port Canaveral (people fly into Orlando) and paid about $1800 for two for a balcony (taxes and port charges included but not tips). You may want to take a look at that ship. I love Royal Caribbean.

Oops, sorry. I just read that you booked the Allure, which is a sister ship of Oasis. you are going to have a blast!