Alaska in September

Canberra forever !

We have booked a Southbound Alaska cruise for 8th Sept 2018 (our first trip to Alaska) the date was chosen to coincide with our wedding anniversary trip to Canada but... I have read several posts commenting on rough seas at that time of year and would welcome any of your views, experiences and comments on the seas, and the cruise in general in September time.

Although I have cruised a lot I still do not do well in rough weather ! we could change to the 1st September sailing ??

Hope you can help, many thanks

We have booked a Southbound Alaska cruise for 8th Sept 2018 (our first trip to Alaska) the date was chosen to coincide with our wedding anniversary trip to Canada but... I have read several posts commenting on rough seas at that time of year and would welcome any of your views, experiences and comments on the seas, and the cruise in general in September time.

Although I have cruised a lot I still do not do well in rough weather ! we could change to the 1st September sailing ??

Hope you can help, many thanks

We've never been there in Sept but from feedback from friends you should expect rough seas and even more wet weather than Aug for sure.

No guarantees but I would go for the earlier date if it's easy for you to switch.

Best time of the year to go (we've done this four times)! Fewer ships in port, lots of sales since the stores are trying to get rid of stuff before winter. The sea day near Vancouver can be rougher but last fall ours were just fogged in. You will ALWAYS get rain in either Ketchikan or Juneau, and probably some in Glacier Bay.

"Rough" is a pretty slippery term. You will feel some rocking of the boat when not inside the passage. But one week difference in schedule isn't going to make any difference at all. Alaska cruises are generally the smoothest we have been on, and all of ours have been the last couple of cruises of the season.

Hi

We did the southbound itinerary which left on 17 September 2016 - which, I believe was the last one for Princess that season.

We had no rough seas whatsoever! The weather was good, apart from a foggy start in Skagway which soon cleared, and rain during the afternoon in Ketchican.

From what the crew said the weather was bad the week before - it's all a bit of a lottery really ;).

Brenda

We did a 7 day DIY tour of Alaska before getting on the ship on the 4th of September. We encountered rain during the 2 days prior to boarding the ship in Seward.. We had no rough seas or rain during our southern cruise back to Vancouver B.C.

Dress in layers & be ready for every type of wind & weather during September. We took warm hats & gloves & were very happy we did so. We lucked out on the weather which made for a great trip...

Happy Travels, John

We did a 7 day DIY tour of Alaska before getting on the ship on the 4th of September. We encountered rain during the 2 days prior to boarding the ship in Seward.. We had no rough seas or rain during our southern cruise back to Vancouver B.C.

Dress in layers & be ready for every type of wind & weather during September. We took warm hats & gloves & were very happy we did so. We lucked out on the weather which made for a great trip...

Happy Travels, John

Seward?

Before booking our Alaska cruise for the first week in September, we asked three other friends who had taken three separate cruises to Alaska. Each one told us that the weather was rainy or foggy for at least 5 days of the trip. None of them were able to see the glaciers, as the weather was fogged in. They had all cruised in either August or September. They told us not to expect clear skies, as it is rarely clear, especially later on in the season.

Each of our friends also told us that in Alaska, the ship doesn't have to cover a lot of sea miles from port to port; therefore, they tend to sail a little more slowly, which helps for a smoother ride.

For our cruise leaving Sept. 3, we are taking parkas with hoods, sweatshirts, gloves, and umbrellas. It's a lot to haul around, but better safe than sorry.

Have a great cruise, and please keep us updated about the weather. - EBC

We did a cruise in 2012 on Coral from Whittier starting sept 9. The seas were not rough at all. Don't hesitate to go in September . In fact we had fabulous weather in Glacier bay and all ports except Skagway . Also the precruise in Denali from sept 6-8 had gorgeous sunny days .

Parkas!!! You don't need no stink'n Parkas. Unless you are going for a day at a glacier. We have been on many Alaska cruises without anything more than a basic coat for her and a light jacket for me. Layer up and this will take care of everything. Now if you are a "cold" person, then bring two parkas per person.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Forums mobile app

Parkas!!! You don't need no stink'n Parkas. Unless you are going for a day at a glacier. We have been on many Alaska cruises without anything more than a basic coat for her and a light jacket for me. Layer up and this will take care of everything. Now if you are a "cold" person, then bring two parkas per person.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Forums mobile app

:cool: LOL ! :pWe are in California and own "California weight" parkas, so they're nothing like parkas from the midwest or east. Right now, we're broiling in triple-digit summer temps, so when we get to Alaska, even if the temps are in the 50's, it'll probably feel freezing cold to us. :p We are really looking forward to this first cruise. EBC

We have also taken many Alaska cruises..........

Here in Colorado experiencing extreme weather changes in a matter of minutes is a regular thing. We can go from 70 plus one day to 20 and heavy snow the next day we are well aware of layers and clothing requirements for cold weather climates. Alaska is the same way. Wait 10 minutes and things will change. We spend hours on our balcony and have needed heavy coats/parkas/hats/gloves etc a few times. We have sat out in snow/sleet/rain etc. We are not "COLD" people. I wear shorts pretty much all winter :o And have been known to shovel snow in shorts We have also had Alaska cruise with 60's and 70's.

Our September Alaska cruising experience was sailing in a fog bank for two weeks. Visibility was about 2 feet beyond the balcony railing the entire trip, and then there was some rain, and some drizzle. There was no scenery because of the fog. On the other hand, we have enjoyed pretty great weather in May and June when we have gone - usually skies are clear and the scenery can be appreciated.

Take warm gloves, a warm hat or scarf, and layers to prepare to the changing temps, and just in case you don't have, make sure everyone has an excellent set of binoculars.

Thank you so much for all the brilliant advice :) looks like we're just going to have to go for it ! but be prepared with lots of layers etc, we live on top of a mountain in Wales so we're used to 'variable' weather.

Just can't wait to go now, wish it was this September ! I keep checking the countdown on Cruise Personaliser :) counting the days already

We have been to Alaska five time the first cruise out and the last cruise out and we are going sept 17. I cant remember but one day of bad weather not cold or hot perfect. The passage has calm waters most of the time with maybe misty rain after all up the entire north west coast is a rain forest. Check weather a week before you go to get an ideal what to pack,still no guarantees. You do get the best prices on the last cruise out so have plenty of money and have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

September must be a real crap shoot reading these posts. We had a regretful experience in 2016 on the last Alaskan cruise of the Ruby. It was foggy and socked in almost the entire trip. Didn't see anything from the ship (No a single glacier) due to ice activity and fog. We have a helicopter glacier landing booked in Skagway that was also cancelled.

Our first trip was in late June and completely opposite, saw everything and really enjoyed it.

We have been to Alaska five time the first cruise out and the last cruise out and we are going sept 17. I cant remember but one day of bad weather not cold or hot perfect. The passage has calm waters most of the time with maybe misty rain after all up the entire north west coast is a rain forest. Check weather a week before you go to get an ideal what to pack,still no guarantees. You do get the best prices on the last cruise out so have plenty of money and have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fab thank you :) you're making me feel more confident in my choice of dates. I know the weather is always a lottery so fingers crossed :) & at least the shopping will be good :') I will check the weather just before that's a great tip .... waterproofs and bobble hats at the ready !

September must be a real crap shoot reading these posts. We had a regretful experience in 2016 on the last Alaskan cruise of the Ruby. It was foggy and socked in almost the entire trip. Didn't see anything from the ship (No a single glacier) due to ice activity and fog. We have a helicopter glacier landing booked in Skagway that was also cancelled.

Our first trip was in late June and completely opposite, saw everything and really enjoyed it.

As you say the weather is a lottery :( sadly the one thing I can't pre book :(

I went during the week of Labor Day and the weather was wonderful. Hopefully you will be just as lucky.

Also, going in September you'll have less kids on the ship since they'll be in school and the Alaskan port shops will be having great sales since you'll be cruising at the end of the season.

Our first Alaska cruise was September. Actually like the 3rd week of September. Except for the early dark, I'd go again at that time. We were the last cruise ship in all ports for that season, the store discounts were great. Yes, some stores in port were already closed for the season, but there were plenty still open.

We found the weather on our mid-Sep cruise very similar to our early June cruise a couple of years later - mid 50s to low 60s with drizzly/grey weather in Glacier Bay and Juneau.

We did a 10 SF/Alaska round trip that sailed on September 7, 2011. Not a bit of bad weather. Clear skies and I was wearing a tee shirt in Ketchikan. We did get a very tiny and light bit of rain just as we boarded the bus at Butchart Gardens to return to the ship but it was extremely light and very short.

We did Alaska again last June with a 6 day land tour followed by the southbound to Vancouver and also had perfect weather. I wore short sleeved shirts for the entire 6 day land tour. I bought a lightweight sweatshirt in Talkeetna so I would have something warmer to wear in Glacier Bay.

We just got back day before yesterday from a 7 week and 2 day road trip in our little teardrop trailer and part of the trip was driving the Alaska Highway from start to finish and then on up to Fairbanks.Naturally, since we were camping, it rained probably 3 out of every 5 days!

We did an inside passage on the second to last sailing of the season around mid September. First port of call was Juneau and though the morning was fine, the afternoon had heavy drizzle for our whale watch tour. Luckily we could do that from inside the boat, so didn't get too wet. There was some early morning fog around in Skagway and I thought our late morning helicopter glacier hike was going to be cancelled, but the clouds lifted and we were able to take the tour. The scenic cruising day and our seaplane adventure in Ketchikan had pretty decent weather. We even had shorts and t-shirts on as it was so warm in Ketchikan that day.

Luck of the draw I guess!

Thrak - Years ago we did a one month round trip Huntington Beach - Alaska with a 3/4 ton truck with a cab over camper. We only had rain on us about 3 times. It was out there but it was either before or after we were in an area. Was a fantastic trip. Didn't lose any tires but windshield was pretty bad. Lots of gravel and trucks throwing. Quacker Don