Skipping Great Stirrup Caye?

Peachypooh

I was wondering what types of conditions would make the ship skip Great Stirrup Caye and how often that happens. This would be on the Gem. I am mentioning that because it might make a difference how big the ship is. It wouldn't particularly bother me as I don't like tendering but I think my family would be very disappointed. Thanks.

The only reason that you would miss it is for weather that would cause a danger in the tendering process. It has nothing to do with the size of the ship...the weather will affect the tenders waaaaaay before it ever affects the cruise ship itself. Any seas or winds that would affect the tenders and thus affect the safety of the tendering passengers would be enough to cause a cancellation.

Thank you so much everyone for your answers. Looks like thunderstorms the week we will be in that area so I am assuming they would not run tenders with the chance of thunderstorms in the area but that is just a guess.

I don't think the size of the ship matters per se, it probably has more to do with the tenders. When we were on the BA and missed it the seas didn't seem to high to me but it was pretty windy so maybe that was a factor.

I wouldn't worry about weather forecast of t-storm for the week coming up ... this is approaching peak season for hurricane for the region. T-storm, rain/showers, etc. typically will pass thru the small island rather quickly - unless it is a massive weather system.

Size of the ship, as noted, irrelevant. We're on the mega Breakaway 4 years ago, beautiful & sunny sky, calm wind - ship came to a full stop at the usual anchor spot - planned to tender & then the Captain announced over PA system that due to currents & safety consideration - we will get to enjoy a "Fun Day at Sea" instead. Pulled up anchors - poor souls had lined up for hours on the staircase, bags packed & eager to rush ... but, no can't do.

Did a quite a bit of figure 8 loops slowly as no berths available over at nearby Nassau, finally sailed in & let anyone wishing to hit the pavement around 7:30 PM ... shops already closed but bars & restaurants around the dock were open. We've missed it twice only out of 6 planned stop (3 different ships) - not bad ... have your Plan B, just in case.

Thank you so much everyone for your answers. Looks like thunderstorms the week we will be in that area so I am assuming they would not run tenders with the chance of thunderstorms in the area but that is just a guess.

Take this off your list of things to worry about it. You can't control it and you most likely won't find out until the last minute if the island stop gets cancelled. I'm sure all of you will still find ways to have fun anyway. :)

Take this off your list of things to worry about it. You can't control it and you most likely won't find out until the last minute if the island stop gets cancelled. I'm sure all of you will still find ways to have fun anyway. :)

Thank you. You are right.

I was wondering what types of conditions would make the ship skip Great Stirrup Caye and how often that happens. This would be on the Gem. I am mentioning that because it might make a difference how big the ship is. It wouldn't particularly bother me as I don't like tendering but I think my family would be very disappointed. Thanks.

It has been our experience ships seem to miss the private Islands often. We have missed one in RCI, 1 on HAL and twice on NCL. The weather, high winds, rain or rough seas are reasons to miss the islands. I will assure you, as you probably know, it isn't the end of the world. In fact the last couple of times we have chosen to stay on the ship when the port is a private island.

• 4 weeks later...

We made it to Great Stirrup Cay afterall. It was great. On the return tender the waves had picked up

quite a bit so it took a long time to secure the tender with ropes upon return and there was quite a bit of up and down movement. It took a loooong time to get off once we were tied off but they were just being careful and I appreciated it.

We made it to Great Stirrup Cay afterall. It was great. On the return tender the waves had picked up

quite a bit so it took a long time to secure the tender with ropes upon return and there was quite a bit of up and down movement. It took a loooong time to get off once we were tied off but they were just being careful and I appreciated it.

Thanks for the update

So what happens if Great Stirrup Cay is your last port and they don't let you off? Do they stop at Nassau or just head back to home port? I was on the Sky last December and we were not able to get off at Great Stirrup Cay, we had extra time in Nassau, but this upcoming cruise on the Epic in November, Great Stirrup Cay is the last port.

So what happens if Great Stirrup Cay is your last port and they don't let you off? Do they stop at Nassau or just head back to home port? I was on the Sky last December and we were not able to get off at Great Stirrup Cay, we had extra time in Nassau, but this upcoming cruise on the Epic in November, Great Stirrup Cay is the last port.

Sea Day