Allure of the seas, crippled

It must be an unscheduled dry dock as we sailed on it, back from it's last dry dock 2-3 years ago. Normally they go in every five years.

Probably so. Someone who works on the ship told us that they will likely be doing dry dock early next year.

Actually, the requirement is that the underwater areas be surveyed "twice in 5 years", so drydockings every 2.5 years on average. But, ships less than 15 years old, like Allure, can waive the mid-period drydocking if they do an underwater diver survey of all underwater mechanicals and the entire hull structure, called a UWILD (Underwater survey In Lieu of Drydocking). If they have to repair a pod at this time, they could just schedule a drydocking instead of the underwater survey, which is normally done over several turn-around days.

If this is another thrust bearing failure, just 3 years after Allure's last azipod failure, she may become the "snake bit" ship of RCI's fleet, like the NCL Star is with repeated azipod problems.

Hello- Ok question for all you experts out there. This engine problem do you think that they will be crippling along until dry dock as an early poster mentioned? This was talked about on another page and some seemed to think they may cancel some up coming cruises to fix issue. Just curious what your thoughts are. We are schedule to sail on the 9/3/17 sailing and it makes me nervous they will cancel last minute. Not trying to panic people just honestly have no idea about ship engine issues. lol

Hello- Ok question for all you experts out there. This engine problem do you think that they will be crippling along until dry dock as an early poster mentioned? This was talked about on another page and some seemed to think they may cancel some up coming cruises to fix issue. Just curious what your thoughts are. We are schedule to sail on the 9/3/17 sailing and it makes me nervous they will cancel last minute. Not trying to panic people just honestly have no idea about ship engine issues. lol

There has been no official announcement by the cruise line announcing a drydock or even acknowledging a problem, as far as I know. Anything that people are posting is tidbits of what some have heard on the ship and speculation.

You could post to Royal Caribbean on Facebook and see what response you get. Those questions are usually answered pretty quickly.

Really no way of knowing what is going on until they decide to make an official announcement.

The ship is not really "crippling" along. If one azipod has failed (a propulsion motor system, not an "engine"), she can still make about 75% of her rated speed, about 17-18 knots, which is as fast or faster than 90% of the world's ships. With 3 separate propulsion systems, having one down does not render the ship unseaworthy, so as long as the itineraries, as modified, can be met, they will not do anything to repair. As for a last minute cancellation, this is not likely as the number of drydocks that can handle Allure (and there's only one in the Western Hemisphere, and that one really can't handle her, see the video linked above), are limited and drydocks are typically booked years in advance, so getting a "last minute" spot requires that the ship is in an emergency condition. Given her timeline, I would suspect an April to June 2018 time frame for a docking. Since this is a mid-period docking, and most of the requirements could be done in the water, and the cofferdams are built for the Oasis class ships to use the Freeport dock, this would likely be a one week drydock.

The ship is not really "crippling" along. If one azipod has failed (a propulsion motor system, not an "engine"), she can still make about 75% of her rated speed, about 17-18 knots, which is as fast or faster than 90% of the world's ships. With 3 separate propulsion systems, having one down does not render the ship unseaworthy, so as long as the itineraries, as modified, can be met, they will not do anything to repair. As for a last minute cancellation, this is not likely as the number of drydocks that can handle Allure (and there's only one in the Western Hemisphere, and that one really can't handle her, see the video linked above), are limited and drydocks are typically booked years in advance, so getting a "last minute" spot requires that the ship is in an emergency condition. Given her timeline, I would suspect an April to June 2018 time frame for a docking. Since this is a mid-period docking, and most of the requirements could be done in the water, and the cofferdams are built for the Oasis class ships to use the Freeport dock, this would likely be a one week drydock.

So basically the Allure has a boo boo.

There has been no official announcement by the cruise line announcing a drydock or even acknowledging a problem, as far as I know. Anything that people are posting is tidbits of what some have heard on the ship and speculation.

You could post to Royal Caribbean on Facebook and see what response you get. Those questions are usually answered pretty quickly.

Really no way of knowing what is going on until they decide to make an official announcement.

They were very slow announcing it last time.

We were on the cruise when it went last time. Nothing was said at all on board we just noticed our time in port was a bit shorter than we expected.

It was only when we got back home the was a thread running on this board saying what had happened. It was some time after an announcement was made about the repairs from my recollection.

Ouch! When the Azopods go out it is usually bad news. I guess since the Allure has 3 that might be able to run on 2 for awhile but at some point they will probably have to repair it and that means a canceled cruise unless it has a 5 year dry dock coming up.

Watching that video was interesting. Much more complicated than on smaller ships. Back in April they did a swap on the Summit. They just replaced the whole unit in 1 piece. Took about 3 days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Someone onboard last week posted that the Captain Answered questions onboard about the propulsion issue. He informed them that, in short, all of these rumors and guesses and dramatic headlines are incorrect. Lol

The Captain stated one of the propellers on one of the azipods was damaged and was removed during the extended port time mentioned in an above post (where they weren't supposed to leave until midnight but ended up leaving earlier). He further stated they were able to build an underwater "bubble" of sorts around the azipod, enabling them to be able to preform maintenance which previously required dry docking. He stated this reduced the top speed of the Allure by only a few knots, and the ship will remain in that state until a replacement can be manufactured. The replacement will then be installed in the same manner the old one was removed, no dry dock required.

On the current sailing, which promoted this dramatic post, it was announced pre-cruise to all passengers that they would be leaving Nassau 1 hour early and arriving in St. Thomas 1 hour late, and those were the only itinerary modifications necessary.

I trust the Captain here. We will be sailing on Sept 3 and have complete faith that we won't even notice anything is amiss.

Have a great night everyone, and happy sailing!!

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Forums App

Someone onboard last week posted that the Captain Answered questions onboard about the propulsion issue. He informed them that, in short, all of these rumors and guesses and dramatic headlines are incorrect. Lol

The Captain stated one of the propellers on one of the azipods was damaged and was removed during the extended port time mentioned in an above post (where they weren't supposed to leave until midnight but ended up leaving earlier). He further stated they were able to build an underwater "bubble" of sorts around the azipod, enabling them to be able to preform maintenance which previously required dry docking. He stated this reduced the top speed of the Allure by only a few knots, and the ship will remain in that state until a replacement can be manufactured. The replacement will then be installed in the same manner the old one was removed, no dry dock required.

. . .

The process they used in the "Project Atlantis" video previously posted in this thread sounds strangely similar to what the Captain was talking about here- I wonder if they're fixing the 1 azipod that they didn't fix last time :)

The last time this happened, they were able to make the repairs by building a cofferdam so the ship didn't have to go to Europe. The videos of it were neat to watch.

Edit: Here is the video:

Thanks for posting!

The process they used in the "Project Atlantis" video previously posted in this thread sounds strangely similar to what the Captain was talking about here- I wonder if they're fixing the 1 azipod that they didn't fix last time :)

No, those repairs were to the thrust bearings. It sounds from the above that it is a bent propeller blade, and they have removed the blades to reduce drag, much like they did on Liberty a couple of years ago. I'm a bit surprised that RCI doesn't have spare set of blades for the Oasis class ships, as many ships carry their own spare set of blades.

Not sure about the "bubble", but the propeller blades don't require drydocking to change out anyway, and is typically done underwater by divers, without a cofferdam "bubble".

I'm sailing this Sunday, the 13th.

I will try to post on here, possibly before we leave PE and let you know what, if anything is said.

I went to the Port Everglades web cam last Sunday at 4:30 p. m. EDT and watched Allure sail out; it's pretty cool to watch.

Google Port Everglades web cam.

If not, I have VOOM next week and will attempt to comment during the week.

I have an Iphone, so can anyone give me a quick and dirty on how to use it next week without being dinged by my provider for international fees? I'm guessing airplane mode, but should blue tooth be on or off? Also, is only phone option for calling using face time and what about texting?

I know this is not the thread for these questions, but if you want updates next week, then bare with me here.

That video was really cool, thanks for posting.

I have an Iphone, so can anyone give me a quick and dirty on how to use it next week without being dinged by my provider for international fees? I'm guessing airplane mode, but should blue tooth be on or off? Also, is only phone option for calling using face time and what about texting?

If available, set up WiFI calling now, at home. Then on the ship, once you connect to WiFi (in airplane mode, BT doesn't matter) and login, you'll be able to use your phone as if you were connected to a cell tower and all functions should work normally.

OMG YES

Love it.

We will find out for ourselves this Sunday.........................and will post updates.

Sea Ya

I'm sailing this Sunday, the 13th.

I will try to post on here, possibly before we leave PE and let you know what, if anything is said.

I went to the Port Everglades web cam last Sunday at 4:30 p. m. EDT and watched Allure sail out; it's pretty cool to watch.

Google Port Everglades web cam.

If not, I have VOOM next week and will attempt to comment during the week.

I know this is not the thread for these questions, but if you want updates next week, then bare with me here.

That video was really cool, thanks for posting.

Thanks! I'm on a couple sailings after your sailing so I'm looking forward to any information on this potential issue with keen interest.

Are you doing the Western Carib next week? I could be wrong, it's was a while ago, but I seem to recall Allure's last azipod problem didn't impact the Western itinerary as much due to the less nautical miles of the Western Itinerary.

Edited by The Grumpus

Thanks! I'm on a couple sailings after your sailing so I'm looking forward to any information on this potential issue with keen interest.

Are you doing the Western Carib next week? I could be wrong, it's was a while ago, but I seem to recall Allure's last azipod problem didn't impact the Western itinerary as much due to the less nautical miles of the Western Itinerary.

It is a western and a couple days ago we got our e-mail about the boarding times (which we ignore) we always get to port early.

And the three other e mails I got also had no mention of problems.

One from C & A loyalty, one from concierge and one about purchasing stuff.

Now mind you they were probably form letters but still.

Sea Ya

If available, set up WiFI calling now, at home. Then on the ship, once you connect to WiFi (in airplane mode, BT doesn't matter) and login, you'll be able to use your phone as if you were connected to a cell tower and all functions should work normally.

Thanks Biker19, I have it set and ready.

I will post about any traversing and to answer the other post, it is a Western sailing.

One thing I will tell you. If you have T-Mobile you can use it in the ports, FREE, and then, if say Diamond Plus, use your 2 free days on the ship. If you have a full suite (Oasis class) or Pinnacle you get gratis Internet. When you use ship's Wi-Fi, put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on Wi-Fi and login. Phone will go over Wi-Fi if you have Wi-Fi calling turned on.

If you want to use your computer through your phone, look at PDANet.

Ugh!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the report, MR TIME.

Any additional info about this you that can pass along throughout the week is much appreciated! :)

Heading back to FLL @20.3 knts. Everything went fine.

When we left FLL on 8/6 on the Allure, we were told we had speed problems and port visits would be shortened. We left Nassau at 1:30 instead of the usual time. Don't know what the problem is but life is good.

Mr Time

If I was on a ship visiting Nassau, I would be happier if it left at 9:00am.

If I was on a ship visiting Nassau, I would be happier if it left at 9:00am.

Agree....the ship could just circle the island a few times then head on its way.

Nassau needs to be dumped from all itineraries....

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk