Jewlery Shopping

I've heard of "fantastic prices on jewelry" in the Caribbean...Looking for suggestions on the best place in St Thomas to find the best deal on diamond rings or even just to buy a diamond.

THANKS!

My jeweler is Imperial see Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had very good luck and prices at Alpha Jewelers. A smaller shop with top notch jewelry and honest salespeople and owner. We have purchased some very high end diamond jewelry that at home formally appraised much higher than what we paid.

Ballerina Jewelry, I have several lovely pieces from them. If anything happens they repair and ship both ways on their dime. I broke my bracelet ( totally my fault, I smacked against a metal bed post hard walking by ) and they were on the spot sending a fed ex overnight package to me to then send to them and it was back repaired cleaned and on my arm in a week. If you get to St Maartin they are there too>> The Jewelry Boutique (sister store). Ask for Ronnie and mention Judi and Mike sent you.

Ballerina Jewelers in St. Martin on the left side of the port dock. Ask for Mac and tell him Vicki from LI, NY sent you. Excellent values, expertise and no hassle. A sheer joy to feal with. Honest pricing, patience and excellence. V.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you're also stopping in St Maarten, our jeweler is Mike st Princess World Jewelers. We've bought many pieces from him through the years. He and his wife are very nice, honest, good people and I highly recommend them!

I have read lots of bad about Diamonds International.. just as an FYI.. because the cruise ships do recommend them in their shopping presentations... however, many that have purchased with them say they are not honest and it is very difficult to impossible to get anything done about it after the fact with them..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have read lots of bad about Diamonds International.. just as an FYI.. because the cruise ships do recommend them in their shopping presentations... however, many that have purchased with them say they are not honest and it is very difficult to impossible to get anything done about it after the fact with them..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bought my wife's engagement ring from DI in Jamaica. It was a very, very pleasant buying experience as they ended up giving me what I thought was a very fair price for the ring that she wanted, plus they provided 0% financing for 12 months (which isn't really helpful since I paid it off immediately after getting home, but I didn't want to put it on my CC) and all of the paperwork which eased my mind about making such a large purchase in a foreign country. I've since had it independently appraised and the appraisal was within 10% of the sales price, so I was happy with that. They even provided us with free Jamaican Red Stripe beer during the purchase process and champagne afterwards to celebrate.

I've not had any post-sale issues with the ring or with their service so I can't comment on that.

Ballerina Jewelers in St Thomas or St Maarten (all family owned). We've bought and upgraded several pieces through them. We've also had only positive experiences with DI, but honestly, their selection isn't unique and just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

I've heard of "fantastic prices on jewelry" in the Caribbean...Looking for suggestions on the best place in St Thomas to find the best deal on diamond rings or even just to buy a diamond.

THANKS!

Don't believe everything you hear. Unless you know jewelry, I'd be very careful. The "fantastic' comment is probably a result of prices and practices of the past.

are very knowledgeable

I bought my wife's engagement ring from DI in Jamaica. It was a very, very pleasant buying experience as they ended up giving me what I thought was a very fair price for the ring that she wanted, plus they provided 0% financing for 12 months (which isn't really helpful since I paid it off immediately after getting home, but I didn't want to put it on my CC) and all of the paperwork which eased my mind about making such a large purchase in a foreign country. I've since had it independently appraised and the appraisal was within 10% of the sales price, so I was happy with that. They even provided us with free Jamaican Red Stripe beer during the purchase process and champagne afterwards to celebrate.

I've not had any post-sale issues with the ring or with their service so I can't comment on that.

I am one of those victims of Diamonds International. Just an FYI if your appraisal is only 10% higher than what you paid I would say that is a rip off. You should not pay anything near the appraisal price for jewelry.

I try to find cruises that do go to St. Thomas, just because of Imperial Jewelers.:eek:

We have been going here for years , got engaged on a RCCL ship in 1990, next day we picked ring together at Imperial jewelers , they did not have exact thing we wanted had them adjust one of there rings and mailed it to us, got really good deal. Have been there many times since.

THANKS!

I've used a family owned jewelry for over 25 years in st. thomas... Dynasty... the owner's name is Raj... . everyone that I know that has used them has no complaints... quality is excellent and service is great... you can get loose or set diamonds.. don't forget to do some homework first... check your local jewelers and also look at the stone thru the loop for any black or white "clouds"...

We have been going here for years , got engaged on a RCCL ship in 1990, next day we picked ring together at Imperial jewelers , they did not have exact thing we wanted had them adjust one of there rings and mailed it to us, got really good deal. Have been there many times since.

Oh I agree that Imperial Jewelers is an excellent store. I try to avoid it because it ends up costing a bunch if we go there.

I am one of those victims of Diamonds International. Just an FYI if your appraisal is only 10% higher than what you paid I would say that is a rip off. You should not pay anything near the appraisal price for jewelry.

None of you all understand what jewelry appraisals are.

So why not be helpful and teach us all something.

Pricescope.com

Start researching.

NEVER buy jewelry in the Caribbean.

Appraisals are ONLY for INSURANCE replacement costs and should be for the amount purchased.

Appraisals DO NOT indicate what a jewelry piece is worth.

Inflated jewelry appraisals are a SCAM to make you feel happy about a purchase.

OP, don't be a fool. Only fools buy jewelry in the Caribbean.

Please go to pricescope.com and educate yourself on how to buy jewelry. It is the largest prosumer network on the internet.

Doesn't it all depend on the reason for buying a piece in the first place? Jewelry pieces often have some emotional investment that goes a long with them. Someone might prefer to have a diamond that reminds them of their visit to an island rather than one that reminds them of a visit to Amazon.com. Does that necessarily make them a fool even if they might spend more for the island diamond?