MDR shots

aprilbs1960

We were on the Imagination in January with YTD. It was a nightly thing when server would come around and repeat "shot time" over and over and over. They were all the test tube shots. Personally, we found it annoying as they would repeat it so many times and were very pushy. We laugh about how pushy they were when we we see anyone now with a shot at a restaurant at home. :)

On the Breeze in January 2016 the shot guy would come around with a tray of shots and yell, "Shots! Shots! Shots!" in broken english...amazing since it's a mono-syllabic word. You could hear him coming and it was annoying at first but eventually grew on me enough that I would go to the balcony and pour a shot and mutter Shots to myself.

Been on 3 cruises and never seen this or heard about it on these boards. Do you get to keep the shot glass?

Yes, you may keep the glasses, we like Carnival's glasses. It appears to be hit and miss if they do this in the MDR. On our last 6 cruises it was a 50/50 split of offering the shooters after dinner.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Forums mobile app

Thanks to everyone who helped me! We have YTD so hopefully we will see them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With YTD, you might see them but will unlikely be offered them. Their trip through the dining room is synched with the pace of the fixed time dinner service. Servers focus on the main dining room level (as on the Pride the upper level is for YTD) and is where they can sell the most. If they also made a round through YTD, it would likely be when many diners are at different stages of their meals and sales potential diminished.

In our experience, the servers made a full leisurely trip every night in the fixed-time dining room and only two nights (out of 7) made a mad dash through the YTD dining room selling none.

The selling of booze shots in the MDR is a fairly recent development (in the last few years). I've seen it started and then stopped on the longer cruises I've been on.....maybe Carnival will just target certain shorter cruises with this practice, or it could be a ship to ship decision.

I wondered what carnival does with all the poured booze in the shot glasses if no one buys them?

To me, the hawking of the shots was a small discomfit interrupting my dinner, just like the photographer who comes around pleading to take pictures.

The selling of booze shots in the MDR is a fairly recent development (in the last few years). I've seen it started and then stopped on the longer cruises I've been on.....maybe Carnival will just target certain shorter cruises with this practice, or it could be a ship to ship decision.

I wondered what carnival does with all the poured booze in the shot glasses if no one buys them?

To me, the hawking of the shots was a small discomfit interrupting my dinner, just like the photographer who comes around pleading to take pictures.

I agree, both of these irk me....but the photographer is definitely the worst. They interrupt conversations, make you pose and and smile, and are just plain disruptive to the dining room tables.

I have been sailing on Carnival for seven years and they have been selling shots in the main dining room during dinner the whole time. It is hit or miss sometimes, but if you ask your team headwaiter, he or she can get them for you. I was on the Dream a few weeks ago and there was a guy that came by every night.

Good luck!

We've gotten them on our past cruises. I can't recall our cruise on Glory in 2010 and prior, but on our three most recent cruises (Valor in 2013; Liberty in 2014; Liberty in 2015), they came around with them right between dinner and dessert. On our cruises, they weren't pushy about it but I always got one. Some of the liquors were very good. On our cruises, the cost was $8.50 and you keep the shot glass, obviously. We were told that the bar in the atrium would have them if you missed one. We've seen a total of five colors. I have seen recent reports that Carnival now has a new design of cordial shot glasses, so the ones pictured may no longer be available.

enhance

The selling of booze shots in the MDR is a fairly recent development (in the last few years).

We too have seen this come and go, the one point I'll add is it isn't new. Carnival did this in the Mardi Gras in 1976 and our second cruise in 1987.

Don't you love the photographers and the pirate that comes by... said no cruiser ever.

We've got one of just about every color. I think they are offered every night, it's just a matter of whether you are still at dinner when they come around. I know once they came by & we weren't ready for one & asked them to come by later, but they didn't. Royal Caribbean & Princess have them as well. They are a bit pricey, but you keep the glass. I usually only get one or two per 7 night cruise - don't really have anyplace to keep the additional shot glasses.

We switched to anytime dining several years ago. I don't recall if they came through every night that we dined but probably more often than not. Even though we went to anytime dining when it became available, we typically show up about the same time each evening, shortly after early seating would start. Like a previous poster, the first time we encountered them it seemed like the same 2 people would come through with a tray of room temperature shots saying "shots,shots,shots" very quickly. We typically book 7 day cruises.

With YTD, you might see them but will unlikely be offered them. Their trip through the dining room is synched with the pace of the fixed time dinner service. Servers focus on the main dining room level (as on the Pride the upper level is for YTD) and is where they can sell the most. If they also made a round through YTD, it would likely be when many diners are at different stages of their meals and sales potential diminished.

In our experience, the servers made a full leisurely trip every night in the fixed-time dining room and only two nights (out of 7) made a mad dash through the YTD dining room selling none.

We've done YTD since they started offering it & have always been offered the shots at some point during the cruise. It's just dependent on whether you are still dining when they come around.