NCL stop at Port Canavral

philpcruiser

We are contemplating a cruise in the near future on an NCL ship (Escape) that makes a call at Port Canaveral. It docks at 1P, all aboard is 9P. I'm thinking at least 2-1/2 to 3 hours will be spent traveling, leaving only 5 hours available to enjoy the park(s). We were wondering if it pays to take the ride over to WDW (and pay $100+ each for admission) for only a few hours. Has anyone done the trip (PC to WDW)?

We are contemplating a cruise in the near future on an NCL ship (Escape) that makes a call at Port Canaveral. It docks at 1P, all aboard is 9P. I'm thinking at least 2-1/2 to 3 hours will be spent traveling, leaving only 5 hours available to enjoy the park(s). We were wondering if it pays to take the ride over to WDW (and pay $100+ each for admission) for only a few hours. Has anyone done the trip (PC to WDW)?

Depends on when you travel (due to crowds), if you can get good FastPast+ rides, and such. It does make for a very quick trip, with little time to do much.

Strongly suggest you pick another excursion (ship's or on your own). Been to PC 3 times and it takes awhile to get in and out of the terminal to get to your transportation. Unless you enjoy spending most of your port time getting to and from plus the $$$$$ I would not advise it. Better to take separate trip to WDW for a few days and stay in a hotel near the park.

MARAPRINCE

NCL docks at 1 pm and sails at 9 pm. I called NCL and the phone representative said the last bus going back to the ship from the parks leaves at 6:30 pm. If you get to the park at 2:30....that's only 4 hours. Can that be right?

Remember you need to back on board an hour before sailing.

HLR

Strongly suggest you pick another excursion (ship's or on your own). Been to PC 3 times and it takes awhile to get in and out of the terminal to get to your transportation. Unless you enjoy spending most of your port time getting to and from plus the $$$$$ I would not advise it. Better to take separate trip to WDW for a few days and stay in a hotel near the park.

MARAPRINCE

I agree with you about picking another excursion, but wife and daughter may out vote me😟. Wondering why NCL gives you relatively very little time in PC to enjoy the orlando area attractions? In comparison, we are stopping at PC for a stop on a disney cruise this November. We dock at 8:30am, all aboard is 11:59PM. Tons of time to enjoy a trip to orlando with no rush to get back to the ship.

I DID do Universal Studios [one park] last December on RCL. But we docked at noon and sailed at 9:30...the last bus leaving at 7:30 pm. I had almost 6 hours in the park, but I was solo and with the single rider lines I did great. I also didn't sit down for a meal. I found out though that you miss a lot of pre-show cool stuff when riding the single rider line.

HLR

NCL docks at 1 pm and sails at 9 pm. I called NCL and the phone representative said the last bus going back to the ship from the parks leaves at 6:30 pm. If you get to the park at 2:30....that's only 4 hours. Can that be right?

Remember you need to back on board an hour before sailing.

HLR

I agree with your guess about arriving at the park at 2:30 (at best!). I'd wonder why the last bus leaves at 6:30? Assume it takes a little over an hour to get back to PC, why do they want you back on board 1.5 hours before sailing?

Port Canaveral is kinda weird, the layover time. I personally feel I don't have enough time to even see the space station. I take a bus to Cocoa Beach or go for an airboat ride, see the gators and such. The port itself does not offer much within walking distance.

Once upon a time, NCL ships like the Dawn that sail from NY on this 7 day run would arrive at PC at 9 AM (actually, a little earlier for docking) and sail again at 8 PM (that's 11 hours at the port) for Miami, then GSC and stop #4 being Nassau for 1/2 day, leaving at 1 PM - and make it back to NY ... on time.

Obviously, Miami as a stop has been eliminated - we did a tour to Little Havana then ... cigar factory & Cuban coffee, etc. fun. GSC's pier wasn't built or upgraded, you actually jump into the beach to walk a few steps onto dry land/sand.

On the Jewel & BA (2014) - scheduled arrival was 12 noon (again, usually a little early) and left at 9 PM (all abroad 8:30 PM ... fun watching pier runners w. beach tote & shopping bags dashing out of the taxis)

Most recently on the Gem, there was at best a dozen or so motorcoach or buses waiting across the way at the cruise terminal, to go somewhere ... anywhere. Many with children/teens concluded it was just NOT worth the money & upsurge in the pricing to do the parks ... those on our Roll Call voted with their wallet & feet (we had a great afternoon onboard, not really a quiet ship ... pool deck was quite busy, no complaints that I heard about chair hogs ;p )

Both the mid-size Gem/Jewel/Dawn class ships and the mega ships have the speed to get into PC earlier on the day of arrival - but, it's upper management's choice & decision to slow it down for fuel economy ... it was prompted most to not get adventurous by booking independent tours & trips to the theme parks, and to pay NCL's current pricing for bus transfers alone and/or the bundled prices ... to not miss the sailaway time.

Keep in mind, someone has to be on the last bus leaving PC to get to Orlando and someone has to be on the first/earliest bus to return to PC - departures are staggered ,,, If you just 1/2 way inside the park, it's easily 15 minutes just to walk out to the exit (without stopping for restroom) & another 10 to 15 minutes to get back to your bus/pickup location to board ... subtract another 20 to 30 minutes from bus departure time (and in warm months, 90 degrees + temperature, humidity & hot sun.)

Instead of burning that money, save it and/or do something else - like KSC and/or even do Atlantas' day passes, etc.

We just got back from cruise on the Gem and we went to the Orlando Eye complex. The bus ride is one hour. You get three attractions there for $99. The Eye is good. It goes as high as 400. And you can see a lot from up there. In same building is an aquarium that's small and a lot of fun for kids. Then there is the wax museum which is good. There are a number of places to eat and get gifts there. The bus leaves at 6:30 we hit a little traffic and got back at 7:45. On board at 8:00.

I would not go to Disney land as there is not enough time to do a lot. A few years ago we went to universal park and got the express pass and saw all the main attractions. Now NCL only sells transportation to parks. So if you miss the bus you miss the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your guess about arriving at the park at 2:30 (at best!). I'd wonder why the last bus leaves at 6:30? Assume it takes a little over an hour to get back to PC, why do they want you back on board 1.5 hours before sailing?

Traffic! They budget 1 and a 1/2 hours. I'm bummed! I wanted to see Hogwarts! I'll have to wait until next May when I am on RCL and have that extra hour of park time to make it worthwhile.

HLR

I agree with you about picking another excursion, but wife and daughter may out vote me[emoji45]. Wondering why NCL gives you relatively very little time in PC to enjoy the orlando area attractions? In comparison, we are stopping at PC for a stop on a disney cruise this November. We dock at 8:30am, all aboard is 11:59PM. Tons of time to enjoy a trip to orlando with no rush to get back to the ship.

A Disney cruise giving you enough time to give the Mouse more money. Hmmm

We sailed out of Port Canaveral a couple years back, and we visited the Space Center at Port Canaveral. If you haven't been there before, it's really interesting and you would have plenty of time to get there, explore and return to the ship. We really enjoyed it. Just a thought!

Unless you are a frequent Disney visitor with an annual pass it is not worth the cost or travel time. Personally I would go to KSC (Kennedy Space Center) or the beach.

I agree with you about picking another excursion, but wife and daughter may out vote me😟. Wondering why NCL gives you relatively very little time in PC to enjoy the orlando area attractions? In comparison, we are stopping at PC for a stop on a disney cruise this November. We dock at 8:30am, all aboard is 11:59PM. Tons of time to enjoy a trip to orlando with no rush to get back to the ship.

The time in port is usually dictated by where the ship phas been and where it is going next.

but for $100 per person for 4 hours in a place with numerous lines and you have to be back at the ship one hour before the ship leaves and who knows the travel time to and from the park.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

I was on a November cruise on the Breakaway and it was supposed to arrive in PC at 8 am, but arrived at 10 am and we still were leaving at 6 p.m.! Even a trip to Kennedy Space Center which was closer seemed too tight a time schedule to accomplish.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

May I suggest you pick another excursion and then plan a future vacation to visit WDW. There is so much at Disney 4 to 5 hours wouldn't do it justice.

I live an hour from the port and about 1 1/2 hrs from Disney. This would be a horrible excursion given those hours. Most of your day will be spent on a bus. At Port Canaveral I would only recommend Kennedy Space Center or stay on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums