Galveston weather concerns

Carnival people won't know RCI's processes and systems and those systems won't be available in New Orleans. RCI would have to charter in their own people and set up a mobile outpost. Not easy and not efficient when you're debarking 3,500 people.

At this point easy and efficient aren't all that important.

I seem to recall quite a few people saying all was fine in Houston and Galveston and that the weather people were blowing it way out of proportion. Hope no one followed their advice.:rolleyes:

Well, Royal Caribbean was among those saying that in effect. They seemed to have no issue advising me that I should go there and be ready to sail today.

The other factor at play here is the Jones Act. I would hope the government would waive the per passenger fine for this situation. I don't know if that can happen. Going to a different port is horrible for everyone. It's horrible for the cruise line and the passengers on board. I think we can safely assume the next scheduled cruises won't happen at this point. However, this is approaching the level of an unprecedented disaster for the region. Not even sure there is enough places for four cruise ship worth of people to stay right now. Hotels will be jammed by locals who have been forced out of their homes.

It's a matter of public safety now. This overrides the massive inconvenience to the current passengers and cruise lines.

The Jones Act does not apply to this situation. It is the PVSA - Passenger Vessel Services Act that would apply in this case.

No dog in this fight whatsoever, however, RCI is approaching this event as if 'THE SHOW MUST GO ON'

RCI is not taking into consideration the impact the individual traveler who is disembarking or embarking will have on the region. Best guess is that most travelers are not from the local Galveston area, so most will either need a freeway/highway or a transportation hub to go to the port or to go home. That is roughly 6000 extra people traversing that region while torrential downpours and flooding are common place.

What if they cant make it to these places? Then what? Why would RCI choose to displace that many people? Why would you further burden 1st responders?

Carnivals wait-and-see approach, that they have communicated to their guests is by far the most responsible approach.

From a safety standpoint, Royal Caribbean should leave its passengers on the ship, off the coast until things have calmed down. They should have communicated to their upcoming cruisers to stay at home until they hear different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more! I get so freaking angry when stupid people who live in areas which flood refuse to leave their homes before a major weather event and then call for rescue (ie my husband) involving taking a boat through floodwaters to pull their sorry behinds out and take them to a shelter. It should just be left to Darwinism.

There are over TEN MILLION people in the area with the flood warnings...and not all of them in NORMAL flood zones. If someone has lived an area for 100 years, that has never flooded before...all of the hotels are FULL...they live in a 2 story house an hour from the coast... They then have to decide...do I have enough GAS to get OUT of the city? (Even a full tank may not be enough to get to the NEXT gas station. I know for a fact that 2 major gas stations, one being a supercenter WMT are out of gas in Palestine, TX 4 hours from port.) What if they are stuck in traffic trying to leave? What if the roads are already flooded and they make things worse?

There are many factors that may preclude getting out of Houston. Some people can't afford to leave and don't make decisions until the power goes off. Last night, speaking to 2 relatives in different parts of Houston metroplex, everything was fine in their areas, power still on. And then the rain hit, as projected by the Weather Center.

While people were wondering if they should go (RCL ALWAYS lags behind Carnival on good weather related decision making. -opinion, not supported with facts, but research could probably do.)...and try to make the next cruise... overnight, all the worst case predictions are coming into fruition. The port authorities are well aware of people ON the cruise ships. They want them in asap. BUT, they are not paying attention to the next week people. They probably assume incorrectly that no one in their right mind will be ABLE to get there. Galveston has only two ways to get to it. Ferry, which is closed until further notice. And the I45 freeway. Anyone who DOES get off the ship (my guess is Wed/Thrs.), won't be able to get through Houston to get anywhere until the rains stop.

POINT being... all the local news agencies have been saying...STAY PUT. So, if you are staying put because it looked like the best option at the time...you might find yourself in a previously unknown flood zone. It looks like Katrina from the pics coming in across the state. On a TEXAS sized proportion. Realistically, where could 10 million people have gone TO? ( Darwinism... Bless your pea-picking heart.)

Due to Mother Nature, there are zero solutions. Houston area is under water, airports closed, no transportation. Galveston is the best choice due to proximity, remaining on ship in homeport and safety. The Island drains! We are fine.

No one - ZERO is moving in Houston.

Hey there. I know this is tough, but what are the chances that RC can pull of a 3PM departure tomorrow based on what you know? I am seriously asking because we are holding off on our cruise credit for now.

Thanks

Maybe in a couple of weeks, we will know what really happened and how and why certain decisions were made....for now, nobody really knows.

Amen. This is a three act play and we're only half way through the second act.

Perhaps but better communication and customer service/empathy yesterday and today would have gone a long way to alleviating the issues and concerns now and for weeks/months/years to come. We are cruising on Oasis in late December and I will definitely think twice about booking with RCI again. I don't want my family anywhere near a company that has treated its customers as RCI has in the past 24-48 hours (speaking about those that were expected to try to get on a cruise that was supposed to leave today).

Lol, I was wondering if you saw his post pertaining to u.

Seriously. There are a bunch of people posting here scraping things off the Internet to paint whatever picture they want to paint. Most of them are "doom, futility, and destruction", and intentionally contra to RCI and CCL's actions or communications.

They are pure opinion, speculation, and not even remotely helpful. Those people also have no dog in this hunt. This is a highly visible and active thread. Those types of threads always draw "15 minutes of fame" seekers.

Shout out to the people on the ground in Houston and Galveston providing practical and non-emotional updates and advice. Those of us on the Liberty appreciate it.

Hey there. I know this is tough, but what are the chances that RC can pull of a 3PM departure tomorrow based on what you know? I am seriously asking because we are holding off on our cruise credit for now.

Thanks

Where will you fly into if you try to get to the cruise? Houston airports are closed, Bush until Monday noon CT and Hobby until Wednesday 8am CT.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/delays

Roads around the parking lots in Galveston are flooded according to port authorities.

No way that ship leaves tomorrow if it even gets into port tomorrow.

EBFURR, there is NO WAY you are making the cruise tomorrow. Hobby airport is closed till Wednesday (runways flooded) and Bush (IAH) airport is closed till Monday at noon: area is flooded all around. If you could get a flight into Houston the only way to Galveston is I-45 which is under water and cannot be used to get to the port. and when I say under water I am not talking about 2-3 inches. I am talking about 5-6 feet or more in places. I recommend you take the credit.

I think they meant fare buckets. There are typically three for each flight.

Yes, there is a difference between a fare class and a seat class. Most airlines have at least two fare classes for each seat, non-refundable and fully refundable. Most airlines also have two classes of seats, economy and first class. Some have more [economy, enhanced economy (basically more legroom), business and first class].

Southwest does have three fare classes, but only one seat class.

The Jones Act does not apply to this situation. It is the PVSA - Passenger Vessel Services Act that would apply in this case.

I get a lot of these old acts confused. But it does appear there would be an exemption in this case. Based on other posts. IANAL.

Here's what is happening on the ship. The morning was kind of geared for disembarkation. Nothing open but breakfast and the pools and public areas were closed.

After the port announeced just now that it was remaining closed for 24 hours the ship is gearing up for the day. Bars are opening, activities happening, and lunch announced. Everyone onboard is taking this all in stride.

It hasn't been said officially but it looks like we're overnighting in our current position. There is supposed to be yet another conference call happening soon.

Here's what is happening on the ship. The morning was kind of geared for disembarkation. Nothing open but breakfast and the pools and public areas were closed.

After the port announeced just now that it was remaining closed for 24 hours the ship is gearing up for the day. Bars are opening, activities happening, and lunch announced. Everyone onboard is taking this all in stride.

It hasn't been said officially but it looks like we're overnighting in our current position. There is supposed to be yet another conference call happening soon.

So will they be doing the "welcome aboard" show again tonight? (Sorry, just trying to insert a bit of levity.) :)

Seriously. There are a bunch of people posting here scraping things off the Internet to paint whatever picture they want to paint. Most of them are "doom, futility, and destruction", and intentionally contra to RCI and CCL's actions or communications.

They are pure opinion, speculation, and not even remotely helpful. Those people also have no dog in this hunt. This is a highly visible and active thread. Those types of threads always draw "15 minutes of fame" seekers.

Shout out to the people on the ground in Houston and Galveston providing practical and non-emotional updates and advice. Those of us on the Liberty appreciate it.

Heh. 15 minutes of fame seeker. I only worked 15 years as a first responder for catastrophes. I've been on the ground in the aftermath of storms like Hugo, Andrew, and Katrina. I don't care about fame. I care about keeping people safe. I have no financial ties to any travel related company. But when the NWS is calling the situation extremely dangerous and beyond precedent, I tend to listen to them as official sources.

Airport status. One report says Hobby HOU closed until Wednesday but not confirmed elsewhere.

http://www.fly2houston.com/hou/alerts/

updated 4 hours 10 minutes ago

HURRICANE HARVEY IMPACTS FLIGHTS AT THE HOUSTON AIRPORTS

Over the next few days, severe weather caused by Hurricane Harvey may impact flights at IAH and HOU. The Houston Airports advises passengers to stay in touch with their air carriers for the most accurate information regarding specific flight status.

UPDATED 8/27/2017 at 7:30 a.m.

Flights at the Houston airports are being affected by Hurricane Harvey. The reported affected flights are as follows:

IAH - Our air carriers have decided reduce flight operations for the next few days to allow passengers to adjust their travel plans and prevent unnecessary trips to the airport during the adverse weather conditions.

HOU - The runways at Hobby are currently unusable and no flights are operating at this time. Contact your airline for rescheduling/waivers

updated 2 hours 3 minutes ago

TRAFFIC STATUS AT THE HOUSTON AIRPORTS

Roadways and traffic may be affected this weekend due to severe weather from Hurricane Harvey.

UPDATED 8/26/2017 at 9:30 a.m.

IAH - Will Clayton Parkway inbound and outbound into IAH is closed at Lee Road. JFK is passable. However, road conditions around the City of Houston are much less certain, and we urge all passengers to consider the safest option before heading to the airport.

HOU - All roads leading into William P. Hobby are closed due to high water

Due to Mother Nature, there are zero solutions. Houston area is under water, airports closed, no transportation. Galveston is the best choice due to proximity, remaining on ship in homeport and safety. The Island drains! We are fine.

No one - ZERO is moving in Houston.

As long as the island has food, water and medicines.... once that runs out, and hopefully it won't.... things could get hairy. I doubt that would happen, but in a disaster you never know

I'd buy you a drink if I could...

RCI is not taking into consideration the impact the individual traveler who is disembarking or embarking will have on the region.

A perfect example of what I'm referencing. You aren't affected by this situation at all and just posted a wall-o-text of righteous indignation.

I'm less indignant than you are and *am* actually affected.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.