Galveston weather concerns

guess is they will move very slowly into Miami (cheaper to have people stay on ship) and of course Miami is very busy so need a berth...and probably want to get in very early so that as many as possible can get flights out and back home same day ...then deal with the rest who can't get flights or want to go back with the ship to Texas. Not sure per their contract if they have to pay for hotels or what there but doubt they will keep everyone on board. Maybe Barry can report back with options.

I hope that people who have cars at the port would be given that option. It would certainly be far less complicated than trying to get people back to Galveston by air or bus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also hope that they offer that to those of you that have cars there! But you *might* be able to spend more money and get back to your cars sooner if you fly out of Miami on Thursday..it might depend on the condition of the cars by then what you do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the models I was looking at were showing the bulk starting late Saturday and running steadily through Wednesday. It just bombed out and dropped the entire three days of rain forecast in one night last night. We've gone from 25" of rain forecast to 50" now by the end of the week. But winds and seas were always going to make the port questionable. So, yeah, they were hoping for a forecast bust so they could cycle through to the next cruise.

On Thursday, there was some lady spreading rumours on social media about how the govt officials are lying to everyone cause they don't want to cause a panic and that we're gonna get 50' of rain and not 25'. It was quickly denounced by state and city officials. Looks like she may be right.

I'm pretty sure he was saying that because that's what they were being told all day.

Seriously, why do people keep attacking and/or insulting the people who are stuck on the ship? I actually saw people on here go after some poor person who commented about running out of medication onboard. They were just inquiring about it. Didn't say they actually had run out. But, there were posters who basically responded that they were stupid for not bringing extra. Please just stop it! All the arguing isn't helping anything. Are any of you gonna sleep better now because this gentleman ended up being wrong & you were right? Are all of you also going over to the Carnival board & arguing with anyone onboard those ships, as well?

I thought we were all adults here.

The outrageous arrogance of the poster who insisted they'd be back in port today not just based on what he was being told but also his opinion looking at how the weather was clearing, etc. is why people are making comments. Now that same person is "oh woe is me" because he has a job and a dog, etc. Frankly I"m whatever. If he didn't ahve the common sense to see this storm and understand that it wasn't just going to go away, I have no empathy. Except for the dog. And the coworkers stuck doing his job for him.

I stand by my comment about traveling without extra medication. That is travel 101. Just like not placing car keys and medications in checked bags.

Where will you fly into if you try to get to the cruise? Houston airports are closed, Bush until Monday noon CT and Hobby until Wednesday 8am CT.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/delays

Roads around the parking lots in Galveston are flooded according to port authorities.

No way that ship leaves tomorrow if it even gets into port tomorrow.

San Antonio and Dallas would be good options. Since Dallas is a hub for American Airlines, I would recommend that.

I have to say, we were really looking forward to our first Royal Caribbean cruise in spring 2019 on the Navigator of the Seas, but seeing how RCI has handled this situation, we are seriously considering cancelling that trip and going with another option. Royal has done some serious damage to their image, and Carnival really stepped up to the plate (so far). I feel so bad for those that traveled to Galveston because of Royal's poor direction, and are now stuck, with no way to get home. Richard Fain should be stepping in and offering to cover all the issues they have caused, and RCI should find a way to make things whole for those impacted due to their refusal to allow cancellations or reschedules days ago, like Carnival did. What a PR nightmare!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A perfect example of what I'm referencing. You aren't affected by this situation at all and just posted a wall-o-text of righteous indignation.

I'm less indignant than you are and *am* actually affected.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I'll speak for myself but I suspect there are a few who'd agree with me: my "righteous indignation" (empathy) has zero to do with those on the Liberty now. It's for the out-of-state travelers on the next sailing who were told yesterday am that they'd better be in Galveston by Sunday's sail away or lose their money. Not until mid afternoon yesterday, as many were on their way to airports, were they requested to wait until further notice. Those are the folks that have my empathy. Not you.

You actually doubted info from people who are ON the ship? :rolleyes:

Seeing as how the Royal Caribbean website itinerary update still shows the information posted last night about the next cruise departing from Galveston tomorrow, I thought it would be good to share a response from an official source.

I get a lot of these old acts confused. But it does appear there would be an exemption in this case. Based on other posts. IANAL.

Waivers are up to the CBP, and that would be between the cruise line and CBP.

I wonder what happened to that RCL meteorologist James Van Fleet. Hes been awfully quiet today and he was the one assuring all RCL passengers last night that the Liberty has no trouble docking in Galveston today and only 1' to 2' of rain was forecasted. So of course passengers on board believed him over us even though we're the ones here locally seeing everything.

Royal just confirmed to me via twitter the rerouting of Liberty to Miami is true:

Did you think what they told us on the ship was questionable? I was pretty sure it was true when we started sailing away from Galveston. :rolleyes:

I'd buy you a drink if I could...

The ship has a helipad. Just find a helicopter that is not otherwise employed and is for hire and you can be there in twenty minutes. Good luck getting permission to land.

Seeing as how the Royal Caribbean website itinerary update still shows the information posted last night about the next cruise departing from Galveston tomorrow, I thought it would be good to share a response from an official source.

Understood :cool:

I don't get why they can send out a tweet, but not update their website. Of course, I shouldn't expect too much from a company who listed shore excursions for a sea day on one of my recent cruises. :confused:

The outrageous arrogance of the poster who insisted they'd be back in port today not just based on what he was being told but also his opinion looking at how the weather was clearing, etc. is why people are making comments.

Maybe the arrogance is based on what Royal Caribbean posted on their web site yesterday and is still there Sunday afternoon:

August 26, 2017 (Saturday)

Due to Tropical Storm Harvey and weather conditions around the Galveston/Houston area, as well as the port's current closure, Liberty of the Seas will arrive to the Port of Galveston tomorrow later than originally scheduled. Because of this, boarding for the next cruise will now take place on Monday, August 28 between noon and 3 p.m.

Busing people back to Galveston is ludicrous at best. It's at minimum a 17 hour trip--that's without stopping for meals or emptying the holding tank for the lavatory. It would require a change of driver at about halfway due to Federal rules on driving hours.

RCL over the years has a reputation in the industry for going thru some weather conditions that many other ships would avoid and take the delay whatever that costs. This is a perfect example of where they were going to try at all costs to get back despite the fact their customers would be in major danger and trouble trying to get out of the port area...their meteorologists are paid to say the right thing to keep on schedule and save money...now they are busted because I don't think the port will let them come.

Uh yeah. I know. I'm A-List on WN and former million mile CP on US which rolled over to million miler on AA--not that it means anything anymore with the dilution of their FF program.

According to the pilot of Trans Global Airlines he had three million air miles. According to George Kennedy he also had three feet on the ground.

The Captain just announced we have three medical emergencies onboard and that he's working with the Coast Guard to render aid. That'll delay our departure and arrival in to Miami

This is starting to feel like the Poseiden Adventure.

Weren't you the one yesterday insisting that the ship would be in port this morning?

There were a lot of people claiming that Royal Caribbean got it right. There were a lot of people claiming Royal Caribbean got it wrong. There were also a lot of people who loaded up on popcorn and took a wait and see attitude.

The problem was caused when Royal Caribbean took the position that it was going to dock today and too bad for anyone that couldn't get there and missed their cruise. Carnival took a much more customer friendly approach. Now if only Carnival had more ten and eleven night cruises. I prefer the longer cruises. My last cruise was eleven (NCL), my next cruise is ten nights (Princess - yes I know, Carnival owes Princess), the cruise after that is 12 nights (Princess).

For all of you who thought you were more than just $$$, I hope this opens your eyes. Lowly Carnival acted correctly and immediately when it became apparent how dire the situation was. RCL, on the other hand, sugar coated it and baited people to ignore common sense and try to get to Galveston or loose all their payment, until this morning.

wow...following this thread...thanks for the update BarryH...CNN should get in touch with you!! Frankly I can see that this could create some "medical emergencies" just in terms of stress reactions. I even hate planes that are in a holding pattern..just want to be headed somewhere. Keep us posted.