re meat pies

3 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Yes, have used it in the past when nothing else was available, don't mind it at all. As a matter of fact there is a jar in the pantry that is lined up for next usage. I also use Krakus (Polish) or a German one, when I can get it, that I can't spell the name of but starts with a H.

Thanks this is the one I bought, Always Fresh is the importer, they do a lot of stuff in jars, onions, cucumbers etc.

th (1).jpg

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Thanks this is the one I bought, Always Fresh is the importer, they do a lot of stuff in jars, onions, cucumbers etc.

th (1).jpg

Have always found "Always Fresh" products to be good. We also use, correction I always use their Stuffed Green Olives and Black Kalamatta Olives on my salads.

• Like 1

I still remember the MASH episodes with the Kimchi, It was only recently that I actually tried it. I only recently tried Korean food and really should try a few different places, so far I have tried a few different things but all from the same restaurant. The kimchi added a little zip to the dishes. I doubt either sauerkraut or kimchi would enhance a meat pie. Les did you start us on this sauerkraut detour or did I once again send this off track?

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I still remember the MASH episodes with the Kimchi, It was only recently that I actually tried it. I only recently tried Korean food and really should try a few different places, so far I have tried a few different things but all from the same restaurant. The kimchi added a little zip to the dishes. I doubt either sauerkraut or kimchi would enhance a meat pie. Les did you start us on this sauerkraut detour or did I once again send this off track?

I plead not guilty Lyle, or should I plead insanity. I cannot remember if I started the sauerkraut thing.🤡 He has escaped again.🤡

As for Korean food, never tried it. Any cruises going to North Korea? 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I plead not guilty Lyle, or should I plead insanity. I cannot remember if I started the sauerkraut thing.🤡 He has escaped again.🤡

As for Korean food, never tried it. Any cruises going to North Korea? 

It could turn out to be one way.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

If the Kimchi only "added a little zip to the dishes" then you were served Kimchi for Roundeyes. The real stuff for Koreans has a bite worse than the way the Thais have their chilli. Been known to send roundeyes cross eyed and screaming for their mother.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Matter of fact I could go one now, a nice pie that is. Even an Apple pie with cream would do.

Wont Mrs Gut feed you mate, keep some frozen ones and long life cream. Bingo.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Get a few 🍷 into you old son, Doctors orders.

Gave it up a long time ago uncle Les was heading down the path to alcoholic land (a bit of family history with that problem) even now I am a big drinker of anything I drink, never could just have the one, easier to quit all together.

Though some nights when the pain is unbearable I am tempted to get a slam of bottle of V and get 5s17 faced.

27 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Gave it up a long time ago uncle Les was heading down the path to alcoholic land (a bit of family history with that problem) even now I am a big drinker of anything I drink, never could just have the one, easier to quit all together.

Though some nights when the pain is unbearable I am tempted to get a slam of bottle of V and get 5s17 faced.

You were strong willed giving up the demon drink.  Sometimes solace can be found in a bottle, all about control. I am regimented, never drink before 5pm, at home, on cruises, or away elsewhere, a drink or two which could be wine or scotch or cider, before evening meal which is around 6.30pm, one glass of wine with meal and none after.  So I am not a lunch person, much prefer going out to dinner.

That is why on the many cruises we did my wife and I never took the drinks packages, absolute waste of money for us.  Pay as you go, our daily booze bill or budget for the two of us was around $50.  Drink before dinner, wine with dinner, often keeping half the bottle for the next night, well the waiters store it for you.  Alcohol prices on the ships are marked up way over the top, in my opinion, although others would disagree.

Edited by NSWP

On 8/11/2020 at 11:33 AM, NSWP said:

th (1).jpg

Well my friends, i cracked the above sauerkraut with a big pork cutlet tonight. The kraut was tasty, reasonable crunch and not too sour or spicy. Recommended, now i have to eat the rest of the jar in a week. Danke, guten nacht.

On 8/10/2020 at 4:28 PM, NSWP said:

Rose was never our drink. Uncle Dan has everything, I am like a kid in a lollyshop when I enter those portals and my bank balance is always a couple of hundred dollars lighter when I exit. Re the Mateus bottle, People stick candles in the neck when empty, quite attractive and very retro.

DM's the only place I've been able to find Matso's ginger beer.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I hadn't heard of Matso's ginger beer.  Where is it made?  Bundaberg ginger beer is a popular choice here in Queensland. 

Matsos is alcoholic ginger beer. Bundaberg ginger beer is soft drink, I put rum with it, make dark and stormy.

33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Matsos is alcoholic ginger beer. Bundaberg ginger beer is soft drink, I put rum with it, make dark and stormy.

Thank you.  My grandmother used to make her own ginger beer.  I could never understand the bug, which started the process.  I'll always remember the time the bottles exploded their contents.  I take Bundaberg ginger beer cordial with me when I travel overseas, as well as raw ginger. 

12 hours ago, NSWP said:

Well my friends, i cracked the above sauerkraut with a big pork cutlet tonight. The kraut was tasty, reasonable crunch and not too sour or spicy. Recommended, now i have to eat the rest of the jar in a week. Danke, guten nacht.

Next time, assuming you cook it before eating, add a few Carroway seeds to it before cooking. Not too many to start and work up to your taste.

When you've got the seeds sorted then start trying Juniper berries, give them a light crush first. For a single serve I would suggest no more than 5.

EDIT. Thick fried potatoes go well with 'kraut.

Edited by Russell21

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I hadn't heard of Matso's ginger beer.  Where is it made?  Bundaberg ginger beer is a popular choice here in Queensland. 

It's brewed in Broome and is my favourite tipple when there. The brewery also has a restaurant which is very good. If it's not too busy you can get a table out on the veranda with ocean views, but be warned, it can be hot outside even in the shade. Put it on your list the next time it's your cruise port of call.

https://matsos.com.au/products/ginger-beer