currency help

Tika

We are going on an all inclusive river cruise on the Seine and would like to know what would be a safe amount of Euros we should have for personal tipping, off the ship dinners, gifts in the towns and other miscellaneous expenses . Any input would be gratefully appreciated.

We are going on an all inclusive river cruise on the Seine and would like to know what would be a safe amount of Euros we should have for personal tipping, off the ship dinners, gifts in the towns and other miscellaneous expenses . Any input would be gratefully appreciated.

REally hard to say, how many meals will you eat off the boat, how expensive and how many gifts, how big a tipper are you.

I'd budget 50 euro a day but expect to come home with a fair chunk of it, or splurge towards the end.

You could have 50 people respond to this and get 50 different answers. Especially since none of us know your spending habits.

Getting Euros isn't difficult. As long as your bank debit card (ATM card) works in Europe, and you've told your bank ahead of time where you are travelling to. Go to an ATM on arrival in France and take out a couple hundred Euros. If you run out of cash on the cruise, go to another ATM at your next port. They're all over the place ( However, I prefer to use ATMs at a bank, during bank hours, just in case of a machine malfunction).

Most restaurants and shops will take Visa or MasterCard. Markets may only take cash (and some shops won't take CCs for amounts under €5-10). When we travel in Europe, most of our purchases are with a CC. Cash is for tips or the odd cup of coffee.

As mentioned above, a debit card is the easiest way to get cash (and therefore not have to carry a lot of cash on you). You also usually get the best exchange rate. Some banking institutions even give back the money most machines charge to use it (I bank at a Credit Union that gives you back the cost). Just be sure not to use your credit card to get cash from the ATM - money advances usually have exorbitant interest rates that start the moment you take out the money ( a friend made the mistake of doing this:eek:).

It's really a personal decision.

Whatever you do bring extra USA currency with you so if you have a situation where you can't use your ATM to get money that you can always get to a money store to exchange money.

If you plan to do make some small purchases in addition to whatever you do you may wish to bring a couple of hundred euros with you.

You can add to that with the local ATM machines.

Keith

Thank you all so much for responding to my question. We are not big spenders ( I like to think) but just want to be prepared '. I read somewhere here you even have to pay to use the restrooms in Europe.:)

Thank you all so much for responding to my question. We are not big spenders ( I like to think) but just want to be prepared '. I read somewhere here you even have to pay to use the restrooms in Europe.:)

yes that is true so keep some coins handy :halo:

I think you've got the drift from previous replies.

Consider getting just a few euros before you travel, as long as you can get a small quantity ($50-worth max) at a reasonable exchange rate. That can avoid having to hunt for an appropriate ATM as soon as you arrive for silly little things like a porter tip or a rest-room or a taxi hop from the airport.

Use your debit card in ATMs to top up your euro cash.

But avoid airport ATMs - many at airports give truly awful exchange rates.

But in the main use your credit card for as many purchases as you can, certainly places like restaurants and shops.

Visa and Mastercard are accepted pretty-well everywhere in France, but don't rely on Amex or Diners.

Cards will generally give you the best exchange rate, as well as avoiding the need to take a fat wad of cash.

And take a reserve fund in USD, enough to last you a few days in case of grief with your plastic.

A few things to note:

- Some credit cards don't charge foreign exchange fees, do consider getting one of those cards for the trip. Your fellow-Americans can suggest which cards.

- Do remember to tell your card issuers about your trip, to avoid the risk of them putting a block on transactions for fear of fraud. And ask your bank which French banks / ATMs are their partners, to avoid ATM fees

- Don't rely on just one card, take at least one more as a reserve.

- When using a foreign card, there's an increasing number of outlets that will offer to convert a charge into your card's currency "for your convenience :rolleyes:". Decline those offers. Leave the charge in euros and let your card issuer convert to USD at a significantly better exchange rate. That advice for both purchases ashore and your on-board account.

JB :)

John Bull says it all.

I want to emphasize the need to have back up cards. Bank glitches can happen (It did to us the other year when our account was mistakenly flagged) and you don't want to be caught without access to some money or credit.

Yes, that is true about restrooms, but you can generally find ones that do not charge if you are in museums.

yes that is true so keep some coins handy :halo:

90% of restrooms have a charge in Europe no matter where they are. I have even had to pay at Maccas. I have lost count of how often I have bailed travellers out at restroom entrances because they have no ready cash. Life is very different in sone of these countries the money the restroom attendants collect is all they get.

In some South Pacific countries you pay at entrance for your toilet paper, none provided in cubicle.

All cultures are different, take that open mind with you.