Carnival Dress Code & other questions

Kingofcool1947

Hello,

We are thinking of trying a short 4 day cruise out of Los Angeles down to Baja Mexico. First time sailing with Carnival.

A few questions:

Carnival Dress Code. Is it enforced Ie. "no tank tops/shorts in MDR'a for any meal?" (Is breakfast or lunch served in any MDR's?)

There is one formal night (called "cruise elegant") on each of the four- and five-night cruises and two formal nights on the seven-night sailings. Otherwise, dress is casual during the day and a trifle dressier at night. Carnival's material asks for "resort casual" for dinner in the dining rooms, and most people comply. If you look presentable, jeans are not an issue. No tank tops or shorts allowed in the main restaurants for any meal.

Cabins: Will an Oceanview cabin sleep 3 single adults? What is the sleeping arrangement? 2 twin beds+pull out sleeper sofa, or 2 twin bed + bunk bed?

Ports: Ensenada. Worth seeing? Recommend shore excursion?

Hotel in LA (Long Beach): Recommendation?

Thank you.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
Carnival Dress Code and other questions

Carnival Dress Code. Is it enforced Ie. "no tank tops/shorts in MDR'a for any meal?" (Is breakfast or lunch served in any MDR's?)

This is referring to dinner, everyone wears shorts to breakfast and the Sea Day Brunch

This is referring to dinner, everyone wears shorts to breakfast and the Sea Day Brunch

Thanks!

I usually wear cargo shorts and they are fine for the MDR unless it's elegant night. One of the dining rooms will have breakfast and lunch service most days and there isn't really a dress code.

OV cabins vary but yes twin beds and a sleeper sofa in most cases.

Personally I'd look at one of the cruises that also go to Catalina Island. They aren't much more expensive and I know it's really nice.

I usually wear cargo shorts and they are fine for the MDR unless it's elegant night. One of the dining rooms will have breakfast and lunch service most days and there isn't really a dress code.

OV cabins vary but yes twin beds and a sleeper sofa in most cases.

Personally I'd look at one of the cruises that also go to Catalina Island. They aren't much more expensive and I know it's really nice.

Thanks for the info re: dress code.

And, I forgot to add the itinerary includes a port stop at Catalina Island. :)

Sometimes I get annoyed at those who post the dress guidelines from the Carnival FAQ page, but in this case let's look at accurate information. Here's the text and link.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well: Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

I wear shorts to every casual meal in the dining room and switch to khakis and a polo on the cruise elegant nights. It's a wide range of dress you will see. Relax, don't over pack.

I was on the Carnival Victory last week in an Oceanview Room.

We had the option of two beds or one queen bed when I did our reservation online. There is also a pull out sofa.

As far as dress code, I posted my Victory review on this thread and I saw no one turned away and practically every rule broken. In the Main Dining Room. On Elegant Night.

Sometimes I get annoyed at those who post the dress guidelines from the Carnival FAQ page, but in this case let's look at accurate information. Here's the text and link.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well: Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

I wear shorts to every casual meal in the dining room and switch to khakis and a polo on the cruise elegant nights. It's a wide range of dress you will see. Relax, don't over pack.

Thanks. Good to know.

I was on the Carnival Victory last week in an Oceanview Room.

We had the option of two beds or one queen bed when I did our reservation online. There is also a pull out sofa.

As far as dress code, I posted my Victory review on this thread and I saw no one turned away and practically every rule broken. In the Main Dining Room. On Elegant Night.

Thank you. I'll see if I can book a OV cabin with twin beds and pull out sofa.

I usually bring a sports coat and tie when I cruise on Princess and Celebrity. So I should be fine on Carnival. :).

Not enforced at all.

There were two guys on either side of me in their 40's/50's wearing shorts in the MDR during elegant night. They were nicer shorts, but shorts none the less.

One even topped it off if leather flip flops and a sport coat. Looked like an idiot.

You can wear shorts for dinner on every night other than formal

Hello,

We are thinking of trying a short 4 day cruise out of Los Angeles down to Baja Mexico. First time sailing with Carnival.

A few questions:

There is one formal night (called "cruise elegant") on each of the four- and five-night cruises and two formal nights on the seven-night sailings. Otherwise, dress is casual during the day and a trifle dressier at night. Carnival's material asks for "resort casual" for dinner in the dining rooms, and most people comply. If you look presentable, jeans are not an issue. No tank tops or shorts allowed in the main restaurants for any meal.

Cabins: Will an Oceanview cabin sleep 3 single adults? What is the sleeping arrangement? 2 twin beds+pull out sleeper sofa, or 2 twin bed + bunk bed?

Thank you.

Hello,

A few questions:

Thank you.

Cruise casual nights shorts are allowed in the dining room.

Think resort casual and you get the Vibe. A 4 day cruise out of cali will be fairly low key