Hurricane Irma Watch

We do not, but my in-laws do, 15 minutes away. Their house is not as sturdy as ours.

Update 11PM

bacbcd7d46e2c4d2636e73e43d75ec26.jpg

Sent from Middle Earth.

Urgh, stay safe. We are prepared here but how prepared can you be? Am approx 10 miles south west of West Palm International Airport...the storm tracks all day have basically passed over my home (between turnpike and 95)

Just as an FYI, Celebrity just cancelled our excursion in St. Thomas at the end of November. Figured we wouldn't be going there. Haven't heard yet where they may take us or if Ponce or St. Kitts is cancelled. Oh well. Planned on Sapphire Beach and a food tour in St. Thomas. Just have to go with the flow and figure out what to do wherever we are going.

Still, prayers to those islands hard hit and hope Jose doesn't bring more devastation!

I wasn't speaking about the hurricane i.e. fake new, it was that Florida was out of gas. That simply isn't the case. Maybe read a little further back before you attack someone.

I read back before I commented. I did not attack. I have heard first hand that in some places there is a gas shortage that they are trying to alleviate by bringing in more tankers and encouraging dealers to stay open. There is n o media frenzy, just trying to get people to behave responsibly and evacuate.

I wasn't speaking about the hurricane i.e. fake new, it was that Florida was out of gas. That simply isn't the case. Maybe read a little further back before you attack someone.

Florida is not out of gas at this time, but supply is very spotty. Stations will be out for many hours and then someone will post online or to a neighborhood app that such and such station just got a tanker at 11PM; long lines, and they are empty in an hour or two.

State Govt is telling residents under evac orders to just go inland and find a place, do not try driving out of county because of traffic and refueling issues. Currently a 3 hour trip to Orlando is taking about 9 - 10 hours. If you have difficulty finding fuel on that less than 200 mile drive you could be in a lot of trouble.

I stopped looking for hotel rooms yesterday; I had searched up to Nashville to no avail so we are staying in place. We have two full tanks and some spare full 5 gallon tanks, but realistically if we had to sit in logjam traffic we are not going to get very far. Then what comes next? Very difficult to know the answer or right thing to do.

Never mind that Republican senators are coming on tv and telling people to get out...all just a bit of fake news by the networks...

Sen Rubio was on earlier - when they asked him if he was preparing to evacuate, he hesitated and then said No, they were staying put....

Given the importance of cruises, I would fully expect them to rebuild REALLY quickly. It may not be 100%, but it will be enough to bring in visitors.

And when the visitors get there, what will there be for them to see and do?

Reports from

St. Maarten “We know that the four most solid buildings on the island have been destroyed, which means that more rustic structures have probably been completely or partially destroyed,” French Interior Minister Gerard Collomba told AFP.

St. Martin "An official said 95% of the island was destroyed."

I suspect that the first efforts will not be to get tourist sites back in operation. They will be to get housing for the population, hospitals back in operation, electricity for the island, airport and roads restored, etc.

Florida is not out of gas at this time, but supply is very spotty. Stations will be out for many hours and then someone will post online or to a neighborhood app that such and such station just got a tanker at 11PM; long lines, and they are empty in an hour or two.

State Govt is telling residents under evac orders to just go inland and find a place, do not try driving out of county because of traffic and refueling issues. Currently a 3 hour trip to Orlando is taking about 9 - 10 hours. If you have difficulty finding fuel on that less than 200 mile drive you could be in a lot of trouble.

I stopped looking for hotel rooms yesterday; I had searched up to Nashville to no avail so we are staying in place. We have two full tanks and some spare full 5 gallon tanks, but realistically if we had to sit in logjam traffic we are not going to get very far. Then what comes next? Very difficult to know the answer or right thing to do.

As I said earlier, friends left Boynton this morning and had no trouble getting up to Savannah this afternoon. Left with a full tank and topped off the fuel tank three times along the way with no issues or gas lines. I never said there were any issues getting fuel in FL. I believe they found a b&b in NC to stay though out this ordeal. After riding through Andrew, Wilma and many others, they decided to sit this one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sen Rubio was on earlier - when they asked him if he was preparing to evacuate, he hesitated and then said No, they were staying put....

He kind of needs to be in the area though. And I'm sure he spent plenty to get his house built right, and will have a helicopter on stand by to get him out if needed.

They can't? My Accord gets over 500 miles on a tank

Evacuations are also being done ahead of the storm in Georgia and the Carolinas, so finding accommodations and gas in those states is also a problem. Any accommodations that had been available are already booked by those whoi have already fled Florida, Georgia and the Carolina. 500 miles will only get you 2/3rds of the way from Miami to Charlotte and one needs get past Charlotte to find a place to stay.

That may be a bit of a Media exaggeration, a good friend of mine left Boynton Beach at 5:00 AM today and is up to Savannah at this point. He said he's stopped three times to top-off the tank and never had to wait in line.

https://news.google.com/news/video/k5panWvPEOA/dVUcjJyCF8oSk4MHOEIFWgn1TypbM?hl=en&ned=us

Since I live on Brickell up on the 43rd floor and we had mandatory evacuation we left. Our building was shutting down garbage, water, elevators and AC as of Saturday morning and I broke my ankle sunday night. Walking down 43 flights wasn't going to work!! It took us 11 hours to get from there to Orlando today.

Stay safe!

As I said earlier, friends left Boynton this morning and had no trouble getting up to Savannah this afternoon. Left with a full tank and topped off the fuel tank three times along the way with no issues or gas lines. I never said there were any issues getting fuel in FL. I believe they found a b&b in NC to stay though out this ordeal. After riding through Andrew, Wilma and many others, they decided to sit this one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not my experience today. Gas out in many places in Miami and all along our way up to Orlando. It took us 11 hours to get here. Many gas stations were out and others had long lines. A gas station up here had gas, regular only and thankfully no lines when we finally made it up here at 9 pm

Not my experience today. Gas out in many places in Miami and all along our way up to Orlando. It took us 11 hours to get here. Many gas stations were out and others had long lines. A gas station up here had gas, regular only and thankfully no lines when we finally made it up here at 9 pm

For those not familiar, Miami to Orlando on a "normal" day should be 3.5 to 4 hours.

And for someone else saying their car gets 500 miles to a tank; yes if you are cruising at a steady speed with light load. Fill the car with your stuff and sit in a lot of traffic and your range will drop significantly.

There's a fairly decent stretch of the Turnpike between Miami and Orlando without service plazas or exits. I could see where a shortage near Port St Lucie or Fort Pierce and then sitting in traffic after that could definitely cause issues; there is like a 40+ mile stretch with nothing.

Hope you and yours stay safe

And when the visitors get there, what will there be for them to see and do?

Reports from

St. Maarten “We know that the four most solid buildings on the island have been destroyed, which means that more rustic structures have probably been completely or partially destroyed,” French Interior Minister Gerard Collomba told AFP.

St. Martin "An official said 95% of the island was destroyed."

I suspect that the first efforts will not be to get tourist sites back in operation. They will be to get housing for the population, hospitals back in operation, electricity for the island, airport and roads restored, etc.

Not to say they weren't hit hard as they were, bad on French side. But don't think 95% of St Martin is destroyed, damaged possible. Been looking at videos all day on it, the after Hurricane ones. Now 90-95% Barbuda defiantly destroyed, they are starting to evacuate the Island... Also not sure a typo but Saint Martin is French side, Sint Maarten the Dutch. Been there dozens of times,8 times last 4 yrs and supposed be there in Nov/Dec. Was there over 20 yrs ago after they took big hit, cruise ships returned soon after but had to tender in while they replaced the Pier... Praying for all there on the Islands and the US next couple days...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Since I live on Brickell up on the 43rd floor and we had mandatory evacuation we left. Our building was shutting down garbage, water, elevators and AC as of Saturday morning and I broke my ankle sunday night. Walking down 43 flights wasn't going to work!! It took us 11 hours to get from there to Orlando today.

Stay safe!

Wow, glad you made it, sorry about the broke leg. Now at 2am Miami to Orlando now looks like only one back up Ft Pierce to Yeehaw Junction. But sure in couple hrs more will be on the road again. Slow moving now is from Ocala to Valdosto.

St Maarten

Looks a mess on this island from post hurricane footage that is available and it is so sad to see 😢

I'm guessing that whilst yes they need to rebuild houses and infrastructure for residents first, the nation (s) will be keen to get hotels and cruise facilities back up ASAP as they rely so heavily on tourism for their economy

St Maarten and all other affected islands in our thoughts and prayers 🏝

On Allure now - anyone have any idea if Miami takes a hit will this effect the cell service and Voom? The crew on board seems unclear whether the facilities in Miramar are required for this technology to function. Obviously just hoping to keep in touch with family back in Florida, as much as they can on their end.

I am just outside of Savannah, no gas here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. We were talking about Florida and so I was referring to the governor of Florida.

Having said that even folks in Florida should realize that they were having trouble getting gasoline distributed and that is why the governor took the action that he took. They were working to try to improve the situation but that doesn't mean that every gas station would immediately have gasoline.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.