Hurricane Irma Watch

My parents have a place in Marathon in the Keys. Luckily they don't live there full time. My dad was just down there to bring their boat back. I think the Keys are going to be leveled. Most places are only 3-4 ft above sea level.

We have a flight to FLL on Wed and Cruise is scheduled on 17th Sept but we are worried (as many other) that Irma would make very big damages as it look now (direct hit to area). How vulnerable Port Everglades or FLL is for hurricane damages? What about the major hotels next to Port (e.g. Hilton, Hyatt etc.)?

According the RCCI Chief meteorologist, Allure will sail if infrastructure damages does not prevent it. How fast do you think that RCCI will inform about the possible cancellations? Two days would be not enough for us because we would be traveling earlier than that.

I think the Keys will be inundated. The question is how well was infrastructure build to withstand what will be what is now a Category 4 hurricane. The biggest concern would be US1, the Overseas Highway. If there is any significant damage to the highway then not only is access cut off but the ability to effect recovery and repair would be hampered.

I'm currently on the Harmony approaching Costa Maya and woke up to the news that there was an earthquake in Mexico not that far from us. My Central Florida home is in the direct path of hurricane Irma and I am on a cruise ship that is near an area where there was just an 8.1 earthquake. Not sure if the only two ports in Florida will be open to welcome us home on Tuesday morning or how the conditions in Florida will be to drive home. I don't even know if I should get off the ship! I'm feeling very defeated.

I'm currently on the Harmony approaching Costa Maya and woke up to the news that there was an earthquake in Mexico not that far from us. My Central Florida home is in the direct path of hurricane Irma and I am on a cruise ship that is near an area where there was just an 8.1 earthquake. Not sure if the only two ports in Florida will be open to welcome us home on Tuesday morning or how the conditions in Florida will be to drive home. I don't even know if I should get off the ship! I'm feeling very defeated.

Can't fly home even if you wanted to, no certainty when or where the ship will return. I'm sure it's hard to find any happiness on your vacation:loudcry:. No words will help but your cruise critic family is hoping for the best for everyone caught up in this.

I have some friends currently on the Harmony. I was worried when I heard about the earthquake. Has it affected the ship? Where are you guys headed next?

On Harmony too.... feel your pain. My home by water,

Tampa/St Pete, been flooded twice this year with just regular storms.....alone with no one to help or look out for house.... worried sick and very scared.

Thought about getting off but flights etc impossible as connections FLL or MIA which likely closed now.

Nothing we can do but wait and see what happens...ugh.

I have some friends currently on the Harmony. I was worried when I heard about the earthquake. Has it affected the ship? Where are you guys headed next?

So far no change, yes, an earthquake! Can you believe it! Shocking!

Waters calm, just docking in Costa Maya, beautiful sunrise. A sea day tomorrow en route to Cozumel again, Sunday. To date still expecting to return Ft Laud on Tuesday, but that could change... might be another day at sea, or re-route if port damaged, who knows.....

Just gotta wait and see.

Waking this morning, and seeing the damage from Irma in St. Thomas, and elsewhere, I have never seen such devastation. The whole Caribbean is rocking from this storm. Hard to figure just where the next weeks ships are going, where people could go ashore.

But there are also pics of the people really getting after it, sawing and removing debris this morning. Looking back at Mexico and Wilma and what they accomplished back in 2005, these islanders will survive and flourish again, and quickly. Cozumel was receiving cruisers within 3 weeks! And those cruisers were tendering in while they rebuilt the piers and came with their arms full of supplies and gifts for the people of Cozumel.

It was devastated also. This is really nothing new, just greater than normal. Sugar plantations and new settlers hundreds of years ago had to deal with this every year before cars and chemicals and global warming was ever thought of. Hundreds of ships were blown away and sunk by hurricanes with no warning whatsoever. The planet is a machine and this is the mechanism that drives it. We have been left alone for these last few years and now we're catching up. If anything the last few years were a reprieve. But humanity chooses to live on the ocean and the ocean just does its thing. There is a price for living in Paradise.

I just pray that they rebuild with stronger construction, but I have no doubt they will rise wiser and stronger than before.

My prayers to all of them. And if you find yourself cruising soon, contribute in some way. Cruisers/tourists are the life's blood for some these islands and are extremely important to them.

To Florida about to experience this storm, I pray for safety and courage. People are leaving southern Florida in droves and at least they have a place to go, can you imagine an island! No where to go. It must've been so frightening.

My parents have a place in Marathon in the Keys. Luckily they don't live there full time. My dad was just down there to bring their boat back. I think the Keys are going to be leveled. Most places are only 3-4 ft above sea level.

I'm really concerned about the Keys. There's no elevation there, so storm surge is their biggest threat. Most of the newer houses were built to withstand 180 mph winds, but no one wants them to be tested. Every single one of my close friends down there have evacuated.

Royal has an employee evacuation cruise. Anyone know which ship?

Enchantment was the story, she is still in the Miami port. Heard a 9am today departure, but she is still there and I don't see any movement around the ship.,

The Carnival Victory next to her is moving now.

Florida is not out of gas at this time, but supply is very spotty. Stations will be out for many hours and then someone will post online or to a neighborhood app that such and such station just got a tanker at 11PM; long lines, and they are empty in an hour or two.

State Govt is telling residents under evac orders to just go inland and find a place, do not try driving out of county because of traffic and refueling issues. Currently a 3 hour trip to Orlando is taking about 9 - 10 hours. If you have difficulty finding fuel on that less than 200 mile drive you could be in a lot of trouble.

I stopped looking for hotel rooms yesterday; I had searched up to Nashville to no avail so we are staying in place. We have two full tanks and some spare full 5 gallon tanks, but realistically if we had to sit in logjam traffic we are not going to get very far. Then what comes next? Very difficult to know the answer or right thing to do.

At least in South Florida it hasn't been "that" bad getting gas. Everyone I know has been able to get it with less than 20 - 30 minutes of waiting.