Hurricane Irma Watch

Enchantment was the story, she is still in the Miami port. Heard a 9am today departure, but she is still there and I don't see any movement around the ship.,

The Carnival Victory next to her is moving now.

On marinetraffic Victory is moving, no destination listed, but enchantment does have SAFE WATERS listed.

I'm currently on the Harmony approaching Costa Maya and woke up to the news that there was an earthquake in Mexico not that far from us. My Central Florida home is in the direct path of hurricane Irma and I am on a cruise ship that is near an area where there was just an 8.1 earthquake. Not sure if the only two ports in Florida will be open to welcome us home on Tuesday morning or how the conditions in Florida will be to drive home. I don't even know if I should get off the ship! I'm feeling very defeated.

That earthquake was in the pacific coast. Nothing for you worry about. That would be like being in Phoenix and worry about a quake in the pacific. Really no where near you.

I'm really concerned about the Keys. There's no elevation there, so storm surge is their biggest threat. Most of the newer houses were built to withstand 180 mph winds, but no one wants them to be tested. Every single one of my close friends down there have evacuated.

Ok. This is maybe a dumb question. (But then I'm from Ohio and never experienced a hurricane). So are there lots of people that would actually not evacuate the Keys?? I can't imagine being stranded there in case something happens to US1

That earthquake was in the pacific coast. Nothing for you worry about. That would be like being in Phoenix and worry about a quake in the pacific. Really no where near you.
I'm not sure whether you measured that or not, but that's right on target, figuring the earthquake was the same distance off from the shore. (y)

I'm really concerned about the Keys. There's no elevation there, so storm surge is their biggest threat. Most of the newer houses were built to withstand 180 mph winds, but no one wants them to be tested. Every single one of my close friends down there have evacuated.

We have friends in Marathon that have never left but are leaving for this one. Below is our house in Marathon after Wilma We were lucky and only lost a washing machine

Wilma house 2005.pdf

just heard from my Tampa friends on their way to Dallas. They are stuck in traffic in Alabama, no gas anywhere...they have gotten off at almost every exit trying to find it. They've been on the road since yesterday noon. They just piles all the furniture in the middle of the house covered the windows/doors and left. She is so frightened I can't tell you....

just heard from my Tampa friends on their way to Dallas. They are stuck in traffic in Alabama, no gas anywhere...they have gotten off at almost every exit trying to find it. They've been on the road since yesterday noon. They just piles all the furniture in the middle of the house covered the windows/doors and left. She is so frightened I can't tell you....

Alabama is a good place to be "stuck" right now.

Ok. This is maybe a dumb question. (But then I'm from Ohio and never experienced a hurricane). So are there lots of people that would actually not evacuate the Keys?? I can't imagine being stranded there in case something happens to US1

There is always going to be a group of people who would not evacuate. Depends on what you mean by "lots." I think most are leaving.

Updated forecast and my

cb862af805c92a5d3cfc50cb6e1ba03e.jpg

Sent from Middle Earth.

We are sheltering in place west of you near Zephyrhills. Praying for everyone in Irma's path. Our next cruise isn't until October but DH and I are scheduled to fly out of Tampa on Wednesday to travel to Europe. Probably not going to happen. Stay Safe 🙏🏻

This gas shortage thing is scary. I don't know how the people in Florida are expected to evacuate.

I am on the north side of Orlando (Apopka/wekiva springs area), I wanted to fill my tank up again this morning just to be safe, the first three gas stations I went to were out of gas but the fourth one had gas, I was able to get gas in and out in under 10 minutes, so gas is getting limited but is still available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the Coast guard has a presence there, Law Enforcement maybe? In case you didn't know, you can see whats going on there today at http://keywestharborcam.com I hope to see you in about 10 day!

We have all of our shutters up. Ready for the nightmare as we'll ever be. Actually decided to open the office today and most staff came in to work. I think people, if they are done with preparations, want to just get out of the house anyways. Let's see what happens, hopefully everything is still here when the storm is over.

Through 2004-2005, I learned that a Cat 3 is the absolute max I would stay for. If I still lived in the Keys, I would certainly evacuate for this one. But yes, even at a cat 5, some people would stay.

We have friends in Marathon that have never left but are leaving for this one. Below is our house in Marathon after Wilma We were lucky and only lost a washing machine

I had 4 ft of water in my lower enclosure during Wilma. We were on stilts, so we were mostly good. But I lost a car and all the contents of my garage and a spare bedroom that were in the enclosure.

I think the Coast guard has a presence there, Law Enforcement maybe? In case you didn't know, you can see whats going on there today at http://keywestharborcam.com I hope to see you in about 10 day!

USCG maintains a very minimal staff during a storm like this. They're starting to stage rescue teams now outside the state. Law enforcement maintains almost a full staff in the Keys.

http://www.keywestharborwebcam.com/ not showing anything at present but thanks:)

OK, it is now, who would guess what's on their horizon soon ?

http://www.keywestharborwebcam.com/ not showing anything at present but thanks:)

OK, it is now, who would guess what's on their horizon soon ?

If you are not familair, there are links at the bottom to 2 Miami cams, Port Canaveral, Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale, and Tampa. I plan on watching a lot this weekend with probably at least 1000 or more others.

So far no change, yes, an earthquake! Can you believe it! Shocking!

Waters calm, just docking in Costa Maya, beautiful sunrise. A sea day tomorrow en route to Cozumel again, Sunday. To date still expecting to return Ft Laud on Tuesday, but that could change... might be another day at sea, or re-route if port damaged, who knows.....

Just gotta wait and see.

Thanks for the update:D

I am sincerely asking this question out of ignorance after seeing the news this morning. Overhead footage of the congestion on the northbound Florida highways while the southbound lanes were largely empty makes me wonder why the authorities didn't arrange for lane reversal on some of the southbound lanes?

This gas shortage thing is scary. I don't know how the people in Florida are expected to evacuate.

Maybe where you are, but not on the highway where they went Gainsville.....she said they finally found gas at a Sams Club just over the boarder with Alabama, that should get them into Texas but no guarantee after that. They were in line for a couple hrs to get it and she said they ran out 2 cars after they filled up.

We are still dealing with the gas thing here in South Texas.

I am sincerely asking this question out of ignorance after seeing the news this morning. Overhead footage of the congestion on the northbound Florida highways while the southbound lanes were largely empty makes me wonder why the authorities didn't arrange for lane reversal on some of the southbound lanes?

I've not heard this addressed, but I'm guessing they were waiting for the last 24 or 48 hours to do that.