Need to cancel cruise due to hurricane

rosyjen22

My husband and I are booked for this weekend's Bahamas cruise on the Sky. We live in South Florida and category 4 Irma is a major problem for us. I am hoping NCL cancels the cruise. But if they do not, there is no way we can leave our children behind in this storm. We DO have trip insurance through Expedia but it doesn't cover for any and all cancellations, and I'm not sure it will cover for this.

Does anyone have any advice on addressing the issue with NCL? Have you experienced anything like this? I am wondering if they will issue a voucher or something to apply the cost of this cruise to a future one?

Why another thread. You have already posted on the other thread that you are going to stay home with your kids.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53978744&posted=1#post53978744

As far as NCL, they operate every cruise. Some have to leave late (like last year when the Port of Miami closed for a day). Or some of the POA cruises last year departing early last year to avoid hurricanes.

No advice needed. You don't address the issue with NCL when you use a Travel Agent...the TA owns the booking, so you have to address any and all issues with them. Between your TA and your travel insurance provider, you should be able to come to a result that most satisfies everyone.

You have to remember, since you did schedule a cruise during hurricane season, and since you apparently do not have cancel-for-any-reason insurance, that this may result in a loss for you. That has to be expected. However, you can't simply push that loss off on NCL.

Exactly. The net is that without Cancel-Any insurance, any call to cancel the cruise prior to the cruise line making the call will be considered a voluntary cancel for insurance purposes and is not covered by the vast majority of such policies.

Your best bet is to wait until the cruise line makes any announcement as to options and choose the one with least impact.

My husband and I are booked for this weekend's Bahamas cruise on the Sky. We live in South Florida and category 4 Irma is a major problem for us. I am hoping NCL cancels the cruise. But if they do not, there is no way we can leave our children behind in this storm. We DO have trip insurance through Expedia but it doesn't cover for any and all cancellations, and I'm not sure it will cover for this.

Does anyone have any advice on addressing the issue with NCL? Have you experienced anything like this? I am wondering if they will issue a voucher or something to apply the cost of this cruise to a future one?

Hi there - How stressful. I'm super sorry. I would wait it out and see what the cruise line has to say – giving you the best options that have a least impact to you. And just ignore those that are snarky – I get it. Your mom and you're worried about your kids and you want to make sure that this post gets the most coverage. Hang in there.

You have to deal with the insurance company.

Exactly. The net is that without Cancel-Any insurance, any call to cancel the cruise prior to the cruise line making the call will be considered a voluntary cancel for insurance purposes and is not covered by the vast majority of such policies.

I don't think the mis-named "cancel for any reason" will let you cancel because you are afraid of a hurricane, possible hurricane, or feel it is ethically right to stay home rather than leave in the event your house gets damaged. Every policy is different, but usually they are insuring your TRIP and the DESTINATION, not your HOME. From Steve's TripInsuranceStore.com:

Trip Cancellation – you have to completely cancel your trip. Some plans require a 12 hour while others require a 24 hour shut down of common carrier service. TravelSafe Classic and Plus allow you to cancel your trip within 36 hours of your Scheduled Departure Date and time if your Trip destination is under a Hurricane warning issued by the NOAA National Hurricane Center, provided the cancellation of your Trip occurs more than 15 days following the effective date of coverage for your plan. Travel Insured Worldwide Trip Protector and Plus allow you to cancel your trip within 48 hours of your Scheduled Departure Date and time if your Trip destination is under a Hurricane warning issued by the NOAA National Hurricane Center, provided the cancellation of your Trip occurs more than 15 days following the effective date of coverage for your plan.

So, for the OP, don't worry about having the "right kind of insurance". It is unlikely you could find a policy that would cover you for this. Bad weather is one of the events with a lot of exclusions. You will most likely lose what you've paid, but get a refund on the portion you have paid that is port fees and taxes. There is no harm in asking your insurance company first, then NCL, but I suspect you won't get any satisfaction from them.

It's painful, but family is more important than money.

So, for the OP, don't worry about having the "right kind of insurance". It is unlikely you could find a policy that would cover you for this. Bad weather is one of the .

Lots of "cancel for any reason" Policies. Even NCL will give you 75% back as credit for any reason.

OP what a situation you are facing. I too would not want to leave my kids. Family is more important than a few $$S or even a few thousand. There is never any guarantees something will not go wrong, especially when it comes to weather conditions. All you can do now is wait and see what happens. Living in Florida you certainly know threats are one thing, actual hurricanes hitting are something totally different. You are at the mercy of mother nature. NCL will make a decision in another few days, nothing you can do til then. To be honest, chances are you will lose your money with the exception of taxes and port charges but maybe NCL will offer a voucher for a future cruise or something. Good luck, we are all watching to see what Irma does.

It's true that NCL will not talk to you if you've booked through a TA, which we always do. The other day I had a most general question about a future cruise we booked. Nothing specific, no changes. I emailed NCL. I got a phone call back the next day. That's the good news. Bad news, very nice customer service lady said I must ask even my simple question through my TA who could then research it through NCL.

From NCL Facebook page:

9/5, 9:30 ET:

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. The company is continually closely monitoring weather systems, including the tropics, and all Norwegian Cruise Line ships offer state-of-the-art radar and weather equipment. In the event of inclement weather, our ships will sail a route around the affected area, to have the least impact to our guests and crew. At this time, all of our ships are sailing as scheduled but please stay tuned for specific details regarding Norwegian Sky 9/8 sailing & Norwegian Escape 9/9 sailing. Should there be any updates, guests will be advised and updated information will be posted on www.ncl.com.

I don't think the mis-named "cancel for any reason" will let you cancel because you are afraid of a hurricane, possible hurricane, or feel it is ethically right to stay home rather than leave in the event your house gets damaged. Every policy is different, but usually they are insuring your TRIP and the DESTINATION, not your HOME. From Steve's TripInsuranceStore.com:

So, for the OP, don't worry about having the "right kind of insurance". It is unlikely you could find a policy that would cover you for this. Bad weather is one of the events with a lot of exclusions. You will most likely lose what you've paid, but get a refund on the portion you have paid that is port fees and taxes. There is no harm in asking your insurance company first, then NCL, but I suspect you won't get any satisfaction from them.

It's painful, but family is more important than money.

It's really up to the individual policy - you need to read the entire thing to see what is covered. The policies I have bought include both issues at the destination AND issues at home. I'd read the policy bought and read it very carefully to see what may or may not be covered.

Cancel for any reason truly allows you to cancel whenever you want - the caveat is that you may only get 50-75% of it covered if the cancellation is not due to one of the major hazards specifically written in the policy. In which case, wanting to stay home with kids definitely qualifies under "for any reason," but you may only get a portion back rather than the full cruise amount.

Ok this is ridiculous. NCL will not place their ships and employees and passengers in the line of a hurricane. If Florida will be affected, they will cancel the cruise. They will have all their ships far away anywhere near the hurricane. You need to relax and wait this out.

Yes, I have been on a cruise that was cancelled due to a hurricane. They will not have their ships anywhere near a hurricane. Obviously.

Ok this is ridiculous. NCL will not place their ships and employees and passengers in the line of a hurricane. If Florida will be affected, they will cancel the cruise. They will have all their ships far away anywhere near the hurricane. You need to relax and wait this out.

Yes, I have been on a cruise that was cancelled due to a hurricane. They will not have their ships anywhere near a hurricane. Obviously.

But the hurricane might hit Florida after the ship departs, and the OP is worried about leaving kids during a hurricane.

You may still be able to take your children on the sailing if there has been a cancellation by another passenger.

NCL may send your sailing up to Canada, shorten it or just cancel. No way of knowing but definitely keep on top of it with your TA who will probably know before you. I would just hang in there until you find out what NCL decides to do about your sailing. Otherwise you may lose out on a future cruise credit and getting money back on your current sailing.

Don't give up yet.:)

MARAPRINCE

You're in luck:

• Norwegian Sky, September 8 from Miami: The ship’s three-day Bahamas cruise has been cancelled. We will be providing a full refund to all guests, plus a 50% future cruise credit.

You're in luck:

• Norwegian Sky, September 8 from Miami: The ship’s three-day Bahamas cruise has been cancelled. We will be providing a full refund to all guests, plus a 50% future cruise credit.

Man, I'd take that. 50% future credit. Heck yeah.

Obviously having probably looked forward to the cruise FOREVER like most of us that book a year out or more, that part would stink.

Hi there - How stressful. I'm super sorry. I would wait it out and see what the cruise line has to say – giving you the best options that have a least impact to you. And just ignore those that are snarky – I get it. Your mom and you're worried about your kids and you want to make sure that this post gets the most coverage. Hang in there.

Thanks for the empathy!! We had looked forward to my "birthday cruise" for quite some time. So relieved we won't lose the money and can rebook.

You're thread topic is misleading. You WANT to cancel, not NEED to cancel.

However:

No, "need" is the correct word. But thanks for the input.

From NCL Facebook page:

9/5, 9:30 ET:

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. The company is continually closely monitoring weather systems, including the tropics, and all Norwegian Cruise Line ships offer state-of-the-art radar and weather equipment. In the event of inclement weather, our ships will sail a route around the affected area, to have the least impact to our guests and crew. At this time, all of our ships are sailing as scheduled but please stay tuned for specific details regarding Norwegian Sky 9/8 sailing & Norwegian Escape 9/9 sailing. Should there be any updates, guests will be advised and updated information will be posted on www.ncl.com.

I think OPs concern is with leaving her kids behind, in case of the hurricane hits, not anything else particularly; certainly not the route the ship takes. As for yesterday it looked pretty bad for Florida and the gulf coast, but the op can pretty well be assured by this time tomorrow we will all know what to expect. At least have a good idea.

Now I see my post doesn't apply as we know what NCL is doing.

Edited by newmexicoNita