Princess Cay after hurricane

sonomaphil

This may or may not help you out as lot for info, but here's a link for posts during the last hurricane hit. Irma sounds like it's one monster of a hurricane and by looking at pics online, it's horrific. Branson who owns his own island, got wiped out. Branson owns Virgin Airlines.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2420126

I remember it being closed for several months after Hurricane Noel in 2007. There was another hurricane that damaged it in 2004, but we were not sailing then. In 2007, we were diverted to Nassau (with prior knowledge). Apparently some folks on the ship had not been told about the substitution and were not happy.

This may or may not help you out as lot for info, but here's a link for posts during the last hurricane hit. Irma sounds like it's one monster of a hurricane and by looking at pics online, it's horrific. Branson who owns his own island, got wiped out. Branson owns Virgin Airlines.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2420126

Richard Branson hunkered down with his staff in his wine cellar on his island. I bet he needs to re stock !! Best wishes and good luck to all affected on the Caribbean Islands and in Florida.

Richard Branson hunkered down with his staff in his wine cellar on his island. I bet he needs to re stock !! Best wishes and good luck to all affected on the Caribbean Islands and in Florida.

Yeah, I wished I was in that wine cellar! ;p

From recent online reports, it looks like the Bahamas (home of Princess Cay, which I think is on Eleuthera) missed the worst of it. Can't say the same for the rest of the ports on a typical 7-day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. Things look really devastated on St. Maarten/St. Martin & St. Thomas.

From recent online reports, it looks like the Bahamas (home of Princess Cay, which I think is on Eleuthera) missed the worst of it.

Um ... never believe what you read on the internet?

If the bahamas were to be impacted, it would be Saturday overnight into Sunday.

Although, the predicted track has inched west over the last few reports.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/093751.shtml?cone#contents

And the predicted winds for New Providence are not extreme:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIAPWSAT1+shtml/081450.shtml?

Likely it will be quite a while before Princess Cays is operational again. Besides being hit by Irma, Jose is right behind it.

If I recall rightly the hurricane previously had taken the sand off the beach.

One thing for certain, it didn't remain in the water near the edge of the beach.

It now appears (subject to Mother Nature changing her mind) that Jose is going to possibly hit some of the leeward islands and then veer off to the north Atlantic. Irma is moving west right now and appearing to make landfall on the western side of Florida which would spare Princess Caye the worst of this record storm.

From recent online reports, it looks like the Bahamas (home of Princess Cay, which I think is on Eleuthera) missed the worst of it. Can't say the same for the rest of the ports on a typical 7-day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. Things look really devastated on St. Maarten/St. Martin & St. Thomas.

From what I have been able to gather, St. Martin was hit pretty bad. Sint Maarten not so much.

From what I have been able to gather, St. Martin was hit pretty bad. Sint Maarten not so much.

While the devastation on the St. Martin side of the island was terrible, things weren't too good on the St. Maarten side either. The local government posted some photos at https://sxmgovernment.com/2017/09/07/new-photos-hurricane-irma-destroys-oyster-pond-st-maarten/#jp-carousel-39647. I believe Irma made a direct hit on the north side of the island where St. Martin is, but still caused a lot of damage on the south side as well. The entire island is only about 10 mi by 10 mi in size (course it's not a square--those are just the greatest distances from E to W and from N to S),

Princess Cay iss North and East of Lauderdale - I don't think it is there yet and from what I see it will be going up the west side and center of Florida

Not exactly: P Cay is on the southern tip of Eleuthera, which is SE of Lauderdale. Grand Bahama is ENE of Lauderdale and Great Abaco is pretty much E of Lauderdale. The rest of the Bahamas are SE. At any rate, there were thankfully spared from Irma's wrath.