Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

Thus far, zero interest among cruisers in taking a free excursion on your cruise to help with town clean-up.

If I'm going to go into a major disaster area to help, I'm going to do so through a not-for-profit with experience in disaster relief. An NGO like Habitat for Humanity, the Red Cross, Best Friends, Doctors Without Borders, etc.

The last thing I'm going to do is to go through some "feel good about yourself while pretty much being in the way" sponsored by a for-profit enterprise with absolutely no real experience in sending volunteers into disaster areas. Yup, let's just send a bunch of people with no training, no current vaccinations against tetanus and Hep A, and no clue into a major disaster zone.. Sounds like a great idea. "Brownie, you're doing a heckuva job."

spleenstomper - you do realise that people can look up those flights without you posting screenshots of every one. Only two days ago you were claiming no flights into SJ. When people pointed it out you now realise there are flights and are providing all this info - which is widely available anyway. Step back please and let this thread continue with the stuff people want to know about. The title of the thread is 'Any update on crises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico' not can someone please post continual updates of flights into San Juan :rolleyes:

And when is your flight into SJU or your cruise from there?

Assuming that the eight planes which were scheduled to land or had landed that travel to and from the mainland US actually do arrive, and assuming that the same number of mainline planes have already or will take off today, that's a total of about 1300 passengers per day that are actually getting on or off the island to and from the mainland US. Seaborne and Cape Air only fly inter-island in the Caribbean and don't fly to mainland US. Additionally Cape Air are small prop planes that only carry nine passengers.

spleenstomper : Regardless of how some people feel, I am most interested to know what flights are taking off and landing in San Juan and I appreciate finding that info here -- a page I am already following -- rather than having to search for it myself. Obviously, flight availability is relevant to our upcoming cruises (unless someone knows of another way that thousands of us can get to Puerto Rico!)

kathy

spleenstomper : Regardless of how some people feel, I am most interested to know what flights are taking off and landing in San Juan and I appreciate finding that info here -- a page I am already following -- rather than having to search for it myself. Obviously, flight availability is relevant to our upcoming cruises (unless someone knows of another way that thousands of us can get to Puerto Rico!)

E

kathy

I agree. The Cape Air flights almost “don’t matter” for our purposes since they are mostly inter island flights. I am keenly wondering when international flights will resume, since that affects us and many who hope to reach their cruises, should they go.

Be careful trusting Kayak... just because flights are advertised doesn't mean the airline will actually sell them. Prior to Irma hitting, I tried many times to buy plane tickets. They were advertised on Kayak but each time--halfway through the purchasing process--the website quit working. I finally called the airlines direct and they said the seats weren't for sale.

Travel resellers are unreliable during high-usage episodes. After Irma hit us, there were rooms listed on Kayak, Trip Advisor and Travelocity, even though the hotels were actually not even OPEN! And advertised vacancies were also unbookable during the Eclipse a few weeks ago...

Spleenstomper has provided a lot of fact filled and relevant information these past few weeks. He's not some crying kids in my lounge, emerald in my pool chair poster. No one has the right to try to censor his relevant content.

Be careful trusting Kayak... just because flights are advertised doesn't mean the airline will actually sell them. Prior to Irma hitting, I tried many times to buy plane tickets. They were advertised on Kayak but each time--halfway through the purchasing process--the website quit working. I finally called the airlines direct and they said the seats weren't for sale.

Travel resellers are unreliable during high-usage episodes. After Irma hit us, there were rooms listed on Kayak, Trip Advisor and Travelocity, even though the hotels were actually not even OPEN! And advertised vacancies were also unbookable during the Eclipse a few weeks ago...

There's wisdom there. You only have to go on Expedia to see hotels that are closed being still sold.

We have a cruise scheduled for Dec. 17-24. On the Royal website it states that they will inform passengers 4 weeks ahead if the cruise takes place. We are still hopeful, but won't be surprised if it's cancelled. We have flights booked through AA a couple of days before the trip.We would dearly like to leave some $$$ to any hotel/restaurant that might be open by then. The only change with them, so far, is a departure time change and a different layover. So sad.

We have a cruise scheduled for Dec. 17-24. On the Royal website it states that they will inform passengers 4 weeks ahead if the cruise takes place.

No, unfortunately that is not what their web site says.

" ... we will continue to communicate any port changes approximately four weeks prior to departure ...

... refers to a port being changed from one island to another. Our itinerary leaving 10/21, for example, was scheduled to visit St. Maarten and is now scheduled to stop at St. Kitts. They didn't cancel the 9/30 sailing until a few days before (Does anyone know exactly when they announced the cancellation? I'm not sure.) and they continue to insist that the Oct. sailings (10/7, 10/14, 10/21, and 10/28) are still "a go". That is why some of us are so upset right now, because RC won't announce cancellations in time for pax to make other plans.

Just FYI.

kathy

No, unfortunately that is not what their web site says.

" ... we will continue to communicate any port changes approximately four weeks prior to departure ...

... refers to a port being changed from one island to another. Our itinerary leaving 10/21, for example, was scheduled to visit St. Maarten and is now scheduled to stop at St. Kitts. They didn't cancel the 9/30 sailing until a few days before (Does anyone know exactly when they announced the cancellation? I'm not sure.) and they continue to insist that the Oct. sailings (10/7, 10/14, 10/21, and 10/28) are still "a go". That is why some of us are so upset right now, because RC won't announce cancellations in time for pax to make other plans.

Just FYI.

kathy

I believe they cancelled the September 30th cruise on September 26th.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks, Bill. I thought it was 3 or 4 days prior.

k.

You're welcome. Changed our flights today. We were supposed to fly in on the 20th. Changed it to the day of the cruise at RCI's suggestion. At least from their statement you have to figure the hotel situation is bleak.

Supposed to land a little after noon. Hopefully we can get our luggage and onto the shuttle quickly.

Bill

--For those of you who really NEED this cruise, I hope you get it.

--For those of you who are willing to help the islands you desperately wanted to visit, I hope you will... I hope you're willing to experience the island, not just expect it to prostitute itself to you.

--For those of you who feel your money is held hostage, I hope you pay more attention to contracts you sign in the future. The only person who tied up their money is you.

--For those of you who plan to stay at a hotel prior to cruising.... Can you change your flight? Airlines have been allowing changes without fees. BUT DO IT SOON. Skip the overnight SJU stay, instead try to fly in the same-day-of-embarkation if it'll arrive before 10am. Overnight at MIA or ATL instead.

P.R. is in fiscal disarray, not just structural disarray. The electrical outages happened frequently before Hurricane Maria. Crime is rampant, and was rampant before Maria. The problems being televised right now are due to labor strikes. It sucks to have your vacation being altered so substantially.... but realize that your vacation is departing from a nation that is financially bankrupt. Consider the level of risk you can tolerate prior to making travel plans. And yes, not only is P.R bankrupt but they are in the hurricane belt. If you purchased a vacation in the Carribbean and didn't know about hurricanes, then congratulations, you are getting an education. We get them every year. Please, PLEASE continue to remember that the world has risks, and many of the avid cruisers on CruiseCritic live in FL. That means most of the people who read your posts about "vacation-uncertaintly" have INCURRED DAMAGES which we'll be paying for, for years. You are worried about your vacation but half the people on CruiseCritic are going to be paying for damages to their homes and workplaces, for a long time.

If you want to vacation in the Caribbean, then please realize how hostile it can be. I'm sure many people want only the good, only the drinking, only the partying, only the sunshine. Congratulations, you've been marketed to. :)

I hope all of you eventually get the cruise you've always dreamed of. In the meantime, I hope some of you will consider volunteering at the islands you desperately wanted to see...

You're welcome. Changed our flights today. We were supposed to fly in on the 20th. Changed it to the day of the cruise at RCI's suggestion. At least from their statement you have to figure the hotel situation is bleak.

Supposed to land a little after noon. Hopefully we can get our luggage and onto the shuttle quickly.

Bill - Are you on AA? We are currently booked on the 8:20 am out of PHL on Friday. I am seriously tempted to book a flight to Bonaire and meet up with the ship there, then fly home from St. Kitts. But I am skeptical that this cruise is going to sail at all. If it does it will sail without many of its pax who couldn't get hotel rooms and (unless things drastically improve at the airport) will have their "day of" flights delayed or cancelled.

k.

The problems being televised right now are due to labor strikes.

This is not at all true. You have been brainwashed by an orchestrated slander against organized labor. The only evidence of this is a Puerto Rican guy on YouTube saying it's happening.

Bill - Are you on AA? We are currently booked on the 8:20 am out of PHL on Friday. I am seriously tempted to book a flight to Bonaire and meet up with the ship there, then fly home from St. Kitts. But I am skeptical that this cruise is going to sail at all. If it does it will sail without many of its pax who couldn't get hotel rooms and (unless things drastically improve at the airport) will have their "day of" flights delayed or cancelled.

k.

Yes that is the flight we were on from philly on A A.

That would wind up costing more than the cruise if we switched to flying into Bonaire and home from St Kitts.

Would wind up with a 5 day cruise and pay the additional airfare.

Bill

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app