Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

Just received a text from a friend that has just spoken with some friends in SJU. The friends work at a restaurant very near the Marriott Stellaris. They say they are doing wonderfully....they have phone, power, and food and are looking forward to folks coming.

This is "third hand info" I know....but my friend is a very reliable source! Just passing it along FWIW.

Unfortunately SJU airport is a disaster, and this we know for a fact.

After reading some remarks and snippets of the posts here, it seems that who cares about flights landing on schedule, Some of you can just grab your BROOMS and come Non-Stop to San Juan !!!

My broom is well maintained and probably already has SJU in the GPS from so many previous trips.:D

Some of us have been on these boards for years and understand that there are almost always two-sides to every story. There are very helpful posters and then there are the posters that just want to be snarky in every thread/reply. Information is provided to the best ability of most posters. It doesn't always turn out to be true but it was given out with good intentions. Only rarely is there "misinformation" given out intentionally by "trolls". Most information is shared willingly and in most cases is true and very helpful to other cruisers. These forums are meant to be a "sharing" of information. They are meant to build friendships and help each other out with info, suggestions, advice, experiences, etc. I have learned so much over the years from these boards. Many, many times I get information here long before my I get an email or call from RC or my TA with news.

Were did you see St Thomas? I saw the article on St Maarten saying the 11th they will welcome back cruise ships. Now the cruise lines need to determine if that is what they wish to do.
I read that St. Thomas is focusing on cleaning up shops in the main shopping area to be ready for cruise passengers. Of course, the roads between the docks and the downtown have to be ready too.

My broom is well maintained and probably already has SJU in the GPS from so many previous trips.:D

Some of us have been on these boards for years and understand that there are almost always two-sides to every story. There are very helpful posters and then there are the posters that just want to be snarky in every thread/reply. Information is provided to the best ability of most posters. It doesn't always turn out to be true but it was given out with good intentions. Only rarely is there "misinformation" given out intentionally by "trolls". Most information is shared willingly and in most cases is true and very helpful to other cruisers. These forums are meant to be a "sharing" of information. They are meant to build friendships and help each other out with info, suggestions, advice, experiences, etc. I have learned so much over the years from these boards. Many, many times I get information here long before my I get an email or call from RC or my TA with news.

So, far I've seen alot of what you've said to be true...with alot of " The sky is falling " from many....... I appreciate your posts. they are informative !

I'm a Hurricane Irma victim. My town was in the EYE. My house still stands, but I have $$$$ in damages. My neighbors got their roofs caved in. It took a week to get electricity. Gas was unavailable, and policemen had to monitor the 1 or 2 stations that distributed it, to keep rioting at bay in an area of 150k people. The fear was enormous. The evacuation: looking around my house beforehand, deciding what to put in my car vs. what to abandon forever... it was a horrible experience.

I am grateful for the NWS warnings ahead of time, and grateful for everything Fl Gov Scott and Trump did afterward, to keep order in our destroyed towns. Those of you who complain about your money "being held hostage" have never been held hostage by a foreign power or psychopath. You shouldn't even use the word "hostage".

How many people here would be willing to do a cruise excursion in San Juan or St Thomas in which the customers do some rebuilding? i.e. cleaning up garbage, doing some digging in the dirt, getting really sweaty, helping to rebuild? Most of these ports will have nothing scenic to offer cruisers in the near future. Perhaps cruisers could be givers, instead of takers. If you are cruising, would you be willing to spend a day helping to rebuild? You would get filthy. Really, really filthy. Would you be willing to go on that kind of an excursion, if you didn't have to pay for it? Instead of paying $70 for a bus tour, you could pay $0 and take a bus ride to a place where you could help the hurricane clean-up.... are you willing to do it?

How can we make this happen?

Plenty of cruisers in the U.S... how can we get them to help the destroyed islands?

Those of you so worried about your money held hostage are disgusting to me. Have you no heart? Have you ever given of yourself to help destroyed people? Have you ever interacted with anyone whose home & career has been destroyed by an uncontrollable event?

Or do you think you are a genious for living in a low-risk area? Where's your trip insurance now?

I am on the 10/21 cruise out of San Juan and wish they would make a decision as well. Given the news coming from Puerto Rico it's hard to imagine it will be ready for cruises in 3 weeks. They can't get supplies and food to the people who live there. How are they going to supply a ship (or if they can don't --give it to the people of San Juan!) Give me my credit and let me move on to try to salvage some sort of vacation instead of playing this waiting game.

I agree.

I am getting tired of being told where to vent my anger and frustration. The conduct of RCI and the hurricane's disastrous result are two entireely separate things. Are you scheduled for a cruise out of SJ right now , not knowing if you are going or not and being held hostage because they have your money? If not, then you might want to stop criticising those of us in that situation. I guarantee you would be feeling stressed. RCI has no right bringing tourists to go on a luxury vacation when these people have nothing and some in danger of dying. They have no right to load a huge ship with food, water and fuel when this is in a shortage. I appreciate their humanitarian efforts and think that is appropriate. I think they should continue, but let us booked off the hook!

The media is ramping up reporting of this disaster and I agree that some may be sensationalized but if that is what is needed to get attention, so be it.

I have donated to relief efforts and will continue to do so. SO, don't tell me to think about these people in PR. I think of them daily and my heart breaks for them

Thank's for posting this. I agree with you 100%.

Just got off the phone with JetBlue...we are scheduled to sail on 10/14 and fly in 10/13....was hoping to change flights to Sat 10/14 but they are booked solid AND all flights from Boston to SJU are cancelled thru 10/10. At this point I am kind of hoping it gets extended to 10/13 so our flight is cancelled, our insurance for the cruise will kick in and we can choose another destination and move on. This waiting is making me crazy :(

I'm a Hurricane Irma victim. My town was in the EYE. My house still stands, but I have $$$$ in damages. My neighbors got their roofs caved in. It took a week to get electricity. Gas was unavailable, and policemen had to monitor the 1 or 2 stations that distributed it, to keep rioting at bay in an area of 150k people. The fear was enormous. The evacuation: looking around my house beforehand, deciding what to put in my car vs. what to abandon forever... it was a horrible experience.

I am grateful for the NWS warnings ahead of time, and grateful for everything Fl Gov Scott and Trump did afterward, to keep order in our destroyed towns. Those of you who complain about your money "being held hostage" have never been held hostage by a foreign power or psychopath. You shouldn't even use the word "hostage".

How many people here would be willing to do a cruise excursion in San Juan or St Thomas in which the customers do some rebuilding? i.e. cleaning up garbage, doing some digging in the dirt, getting really sweaty, helping to rebuild? Most of these ports will have nothing scenic to offer cruisers in the near future. Perhaps cruisers could be givers, instead of takers. If you are cruising, would you be willing to spend a day helping to rebuild? You would get filthy. Really, really filthy. Would you be willing to go on that kind of an excursion, if you didn't have to pay for it? Instead of paying $70 for a bus tour, you could pay $0 and take a bus ride to a place where you could help the hurricane clean-up.... are you willing to do it?

Plenty of cruisers in the U.S... how can we get them to help the destroyed islands?

Those of you so worried about your money held hostage are disgusting to me. Have you no heart? Have you ever given of yourself to help destroyed people? Have you ever interacted with anyone whose home & career has been destroyed by an uncontrollable event?

Or do you think you are a genious for living in a low-risk area? Where's your trip insurance now?

I'm very sorry this happened to you. A natural disaster can happen to anyone, no matter where they live and it's a terrible thing to deal with.

No one here has said they don't have compassion for the people of Puerto Rico. I think a lot of us here are upset with RCCL for not canceling or rerouting the cruises from PR because we don't see the sense in having 2000 +/- passengers coming to an area that can't support them. I, personally, just don't see the logic in it. Flights are being canceled and hotels are canceling reservations and RCCL thinks we can call just fly into PR and jump on the ship, without any problems. I'm one of the luckier ones. My cruise isn't until the end of October, so I can wait it out a bit to see if things improve.

I am getting tired of being told where to vent my anger and frustration. The conduct of RCI and the hurricane's disastrous result are two entireely separate things. Are you scheduled for a cruise out of SJ right now , not knowing if you are going or not and being held hostage because they have your money? If not, then you might want to stop criticising those of us in that situation. I guarantee you would be feeling stressed. RCI has no right bringing tourists to go on a luxury vacation when these people have nothing and some in danger of dying. They have no right to load a huge ship with food, water and fuel when this is in a shortage. I appreciate their humanitarian efforts and think that is appropriate. I think they should continue, but let us booked off the hook!

The media is ramping up reporting of this disaster and I agree that some may be sensationalized but if that is what is needed to get attention, so be it.

I have donated to relief efforts and will continue to do so. SO, don't tell me to think about these people in PR. I think of them daily and my heart breaks for them

Yes, I am booked for 2 cruises out of San Juan and think RCI is doing a fantastic job under the circumstances. You booked during hurricane season and took a risk and are now wineing because RCI refuses to act the way you want them to. A lot of folks say RCI should do the right thing (for them) l think they are doing the right thing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand you are hurting but most of us do not lead a charmed life. What were you doing when My Mother died ,my sister, my Nephews,...what were you doing when I was diagnosed with cancer? What were you doing when I was in between jobs? Did you stop your life? Did you donate time and money to me? Of course not! My life has not been easy either, as I am sure many others have not.

I am sure you did not stop your life for the tragedy in mine. We donate, we try to help but we do not stop living as you did not in my tragic moments.

Peace ,Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Yes, I am booked for 2 cruises out of San Juan and think RCI is doing a fantastic job under the circumstances. You booked during hurricane season and took a risk and are now wineing because RCI refuses to act the way you want them to. A lot of folks say RCI should do the right thing (for them) l think they are doing the right thing!

I am SICK of being told that I booked during hurricane season. SO this does not allow me to want my cruise cancelled so that RCI can continue with their humanitarian work rather than bring 3000+ tourists in to a disaster zone? I am not alone in this feeling and I am not "wineing" , That would be whining, BTW! Your opinion is just that. In the NE we have the danger of being snowed in from Nov to March,. When would you suggest we book???? I am not saying that they are not doing a good job with their aid. That is a totally separate issue.

I am SICK of being told that I booked during hurricane season. SO this does not allow me to want my cruise cancelled so that RCI can continue with their humanitarian work rather than bring 3000+ tourists in to a disaster zone? I am not alone in this feeling and I am not "wineing" , That would be whining, BTW! Your opinion is just that. In the NE we have the danger of being snowed in from Nov to March,. When would you suggest we book???? I am not saying that they are not doing a good job with their aid. That is a totally separate issue.

Where is the LIKE button? I guess this will do. (y)

kathy

As of today.

The following sailing is being cancelled:

Adventure of the Seas:September 30

Given the impact of Hurricane Maria, we are cancelling this cruise to utilize the ship for evacuation and humanitarian efforts. The ship will operate humanitarian calls in San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Croix to aid in the evacuation and donate critical supplies to each destination. The ship will bring evacuees to Fort Lauderdale before returning to San Juan on October 6 to prepare for the October 7thcruise.

We are very sorry for the impact this storm has had on your vacation. The cruise fare and fees will be 100% refunded to the original form of payment, and we are also offering a 25% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare, if a new cruise is booked in the next 30 days. Pre-booked shore excursions will also be refunded to your original form of payment.

Future itineraries:

Given Hurricane Irma’s impact to St. Maarten and St. Thomas, as well as Hurricane Maria’s impact to San Juan, we are altering the following ports for future sailings until these islands have fully recovered.

As the recovery effort remains fluid and each island is working diligently to get back to normal operations, we will continue to communicate any port changes approximately four weeks prior to departure.

Adventure of the Seas:

10/7 – St. Croix to Martinique

10/14 – St. Croix to Antigua

10/21 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/28 – St. Maarten to Martinique

We understand that limited hotel availability in San Juan may cause you to alter your travel arrangements. Airlines are being flexible with waiving change fees, so please check with your carrier, and do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Well there you go ..all your fault for living in the NE! JK Western Mass here! Got a cruise out of PR Nov 26th booked two days hotel ahead because we could get snow ...now stuck in limbo!

Good luck!

Reader

Well there you go ..all your fault for living in the NE! JK Western Mass here! Got a cruise out of PR Nov 26th booked two days hotel ahead because we could get snow ...now stuck in limbo!

Good luck!

Reader

Thanks ! Yep damn living in PA narrows my window for a cruise to about one week in April according to some who feel the need to criticize.

Good luck with your cruise

Very well said. (y)(y)(y)

I think your post is out of line. Having empathy for/helping disaster victims and worrying about a long-awaited vacation aren't mutually exclusive. I too live in a hard hit area (Harvey), and although my home was spared, hundreds of my neighbors weren't so lucky. I've spent much of the last 5 weeks donating time, food, and cash.

I'm also cruising very soon. I'm excited and more than ready to leave the stench of mold and mountains of debris for a few days. Yes, I would be upset and worried if I thought my trip was in jeopardy. That doesn't make me greedy, insensitive, or disgusting. I have a heart and give generously when and where I can. For you to assume anyone worried about a vacation is somehow morally and ethically inferior is wrong.

Edited by Cindy

I think your post is out of line. Having empathy for/helping disaster victims and worrying about a long-awaited vacation aren't mutually exclusive. I too live in a hard hit area (Harvey), and although my home was spared, hundreds of my neighbors weren't so lucky. I've spent much of the last 5 weeks donating time, food, and cash.

I'm also cruising very soon. I'm excited and more than ready to leave the stench of mold and mountains of debris for a few days. Yes, I would be upset and worried if I thought my trip was in jeopardy. That doesn't make me greedy, insensitive, or disgusting. I have a heart and give generously when and where I can. For you to assume anyone worried about a vacation is somehow morally and ethically inferior is wrong.

Very nicely said!

We all have empathy and compassion for the people of PR and affected islands.

However, as a cruiser on the 10/7 sailing of the AOS in a week, I question the safety of bringing 3000 passengers into SJU airport when it does not appear to be operating at 100%. Still on basic generator power, no a/c, no water and long lines.

The mayor of San Juan was on all national news networks yesterday saying "We are dying" in San Juan and other areas of PR and need help, but RCI is still going forward with the 10/7 sailing.

We all have empathy and compassion for the people of PR and affected islands.

However, as a cruiser on the 10/7 sailing of the AOS in a week, I question the safety of bringing 3000 passengers into SJU airport when it does not appear to be operating at 100%. Still on basic generator power, no a/c, no water and long lines.

The mayor of San Juan was on all national news networks yesterday saying "We are dying" in San Juan and other areas of PR and need help, but RCI is still going forward with the 10/7 sailing.

That is scary! No one should be flying in unless they are there to help...what is wrong with these money hungry companies?

Edited by Reader0108598