Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

Given that PR tourism has advised people not to come in the first half of the month, you are not being negative by being stressed. By pushing forward and not allowing you to switch sailings, RCL has done little to lessen your stress

Apparently, passengers have been told that if their hotel is closed and they arrive a day early, they can stay on the ship since it will already be there. Also, passengers will be driven from the airport to the ship by Royal Caribbean free of charge. That might seem nice to the passengers but I’m not exactly sure how Royal Caribbean thinks this helps the people of Puerto Rico at all if their passengers never come into contact with them long enough to spend money. This seems to be more about RCL not giving refunds than anything.

I understand some want a full refund, but others would like to go if it is possible on the vacation they may have been planning. I know everybody would like to know months in advance whether their vacation will be perfect, but unfortunately, that is just not possible. They are doing their best to make sure people can get the vacation they planned if possible. It may well be that com wednesday or thursday, it will be determined that PR is just not ready, but all reports seem to show that at least SJ is improving each and every day, and it may well go off okay by then.

I understand some want a full refund, but others would like to go if it is possible on the vacation they may have been planning. I know everybody would like to know months in advance whether their vacation will be perfect, but unfortunately, that is just not possible. They are doing their best to make sure people can get the vacation they planned if possible. It may well be that com wednesday or thursday, it will be determined that PR is just not ready, but all reports seem to show that at least SJ is improving each and every day, and it may well go off okay by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A little perspective: I think anyone who has travelled understands that no vacation is perfect. You sometimes have noisy neighbors, sometimes the food or weather is not so good, and sometimes the entertainment is poor. Royal Caribbean is asking people to come and join a ship in a city that is telling people they should not be there for the first half of this month. There is a curfew in place and so even if people do travel to Puerto Rico, they won’t be able to go out and have dinner and support the city. RCL is forcing the issue so that it does not have to cancel vacations and give refunds. That is a very different thing. For myself, we don’t sell until next month but at this point, our country has a travel advisory against going to Puerto Rico. That means that for any Canadian who does, they risk voiding their travel insurance because they are going into an unsafe area by their own choice. RCL has also pledged to return to ports like Saint Maarten, which look nothing like what they did before and which will not provide the vacation people think they purchased. I am all for supporting those people and will do so through humanitarian donations but Royal Caribbean is acting unethically in my opinion and I have no hesitation in calling them out on it.

Of course I want to go on the vacation I planned. I am willing to rebook asap but I cannot do that unless RCI cancels. Too much money to lose! What is hard to understand here? They are not doing their best. It is not a good situation but they insist on sailing. Wednesday or Thursday before sailing is absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for knowing the situation. It is not going to drastically improve over night

I'm on the 10/7 sailing of the AOS. The least RCI can do is email a personal letter to the 10/7 passengers advising us of the current conditions at the airport, port area and general San Juan area.

They must be 100% confident in ALL airlines being able to arrive on 10/6 or 10/7 and able to depart on time on 10/14.

They must be 100% confident in all airport operations and logistics of transferring 3000 passengers to and from the airport & cruise port in a safe and timely manner.

If RCI cannot make these promises, they must cancel.

On their Facebook, they are patting themselves on the back for "not putting their passengers in harms way".

Of course I want to go on the vacation I planned. I am willing to rebook asap but I cannot do that unless RCI cancels. Too much money to lose! What is hard to understand here? They are not doing their best. It is not a good situation but they insist on sailing. Wednesday or Thursday before sailing is absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for knowing the situation. It is not going to drastically improve over night

I think your measured frustration at Royal Caribbean is completely justifiable, as expressed here. They have had a habit, the last couple months in particular, of delaying decisions and keeping their customers in limbo. Three days before sail away is WAY TOO LATE to be cancelling a cruise, when the evidence was there much further in advance.

IMHO, today, five days in advance of Adventure's sail away is the last possible date Royal Caribbean should make a decision...if there's an emergency in any home port five days in advance, they should make contingency plans.

And if Royal is going to be stubborn and string their passengers along, maybe it's time that pressure be applied to CLIA to add a 'five day in advance' rule to their 'Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights':

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/bill_of_rights.pdf

I'm on the 10/7 sailing of the AOS. The least RCI can do is email a personal letter to the 10/7 passengers advising us of the current conditions at the airport, port area and general San Juan area.

They must be 100% confident in ALL airlines being able to arrive on 10/6 or 10/7 and able to depart on time on 10/14.

They must be 100% confident in all airport operations and logistics of transferring 3000 passengers to and from the airport & cruise port in a safe and timely manner.

If RCI cannot make these promises, they must cancel.

On their Facebook, they are patting themselves on the back for "not putting their passengers in harms way".

While I agree 100% that they 'must' cancel if logistics for Adventure aren't operational, unfortunately Royal Caribbean has proven over the last couple of months that they can't be trusted to make such decisions in the best interest of their passengers. The October 7th Adventure cruise is only the most recent sailing where they've strung along passengers, with the lack of changes or even acknowledgement of potential contingencies suggesting 'everything is fine'.

One thought - has anyone due to sail on October 7th on Adventure called up Royal or their travel agent and asked to switch to another cruise (either this weekend out of Florida, or at a later date)? Their latest update invites passengers "do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions"...if it were me, I'd look at alternative cruises and then take them up on that opening and call and ask them "can I change to cruise X without penalty?"

I think your measured frustration at Royal Caribbean is completely justifiable, as expressed here. They have had a habit, the last couple months in particular, of delaying decisions and keeping their customers in limbo. Three days before sail away is WAY TOO LATE to be cancelling a cruise, when the evidence was there much further in advance.

IMHO, today, five days in advance of Adventure's sail away is the last possible date Royal Caribbean should make a decision...if there's an emergency in any home port five days in advance, they should make contingency plans.

And if Royal is going to be stubborn and string their passengers along, maybe it's time that pressure be applied to CLIA to add a 'five day in advance' rule to their 'Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights':

Thank you! I have been skeptical about these cruises ever since the storm. I am not a negative person but I am also realistic. I have pretty much been blackballed from my roll call for expressing my doubts and presenting the situation as it appears to be . Refreshing to be understood and not criticized

I guess my crystal ball is not working as well as yours at this point. I understand you want your money back, and had you purchased insurance that covered you for not wanting to go, then you would be able to get your money back.

If the situation in SJ improves enough, then RCI is offering an option for free transport from the airport and even an extra day on the ship if needed. If the situation stays the same, or deteriorates, then they will likely cancel.

I understand it is stressful, and many would just love all their money back. There is a reason my wife and I would likely never travel to the Caribbean during hurricane season, because of the extra stress and risk. Others can feel they are OK with the risk, and take that risk upon themselves, that is the choice everybody must make, just like RCI must try to decide whether it is safe to go. Right now, we still just do not know what it will be like tomorrow let alone in 5 days. Others are wanting their cruise for weeks from now fully refunded, and it just does not make sense imho, but I (gladly) am not the one that has to make those calls. It is a difficult situation all around, and not as black and white as some would have you believe. According to the briefings from the US government, everything is going great in PR.

Thank you! I have been skeptical about these cruises ever since the storm. I am not a negative person but I am also realistic. I have pretty much been blackballed from my roll call for expressing my doubts and presenting the situation as it appears to be . Refreshing to be understood and not criticized

I agree too.

We ALL WANT it to be going well in Puerto Rico, but wanting to know the truth is not negative.

I thought lack of radar was a main problem at the airport. RC saying "The Show Must Go On" won't make more flights come in if there is still a problem. And, a LOT of cruisers come FROM Puerto Rico. How the heck are they supposed to go?

My cruise isn't until Christmas, so there is time for me. (NOT HURRICANE SEASON, for all the people saying tough luck.) I feel for the people who have been dealing with this close to time.

Renee

When we decided to sail during hurricane season, our concession was we might get a swap out of ports, not that we would have to be strung along by RCL on whether the cruise itself was a go, despite all other indications pointing to the opposite. We knew that St, Martin might get swapped for St. Kitts and so on. Fine. What we did not bargain on was RCL insisting cruises would go ahead and then canceling on short notice. We also did not bargain on RCL being determined to operate a cruise from a port with a curfew and to which international flights are not currently flying. I think that's a fair distinction to make.

--For those of you who really NEED this cruise, I hope you get it.

--For those of you who are willing to help the islands you desperately wanted to visit, I hope you will... I hope you're willing to experience the island, not just expect it to prostitute itself to you.

--For those of you who feel your money is held hostage, I hope you pay more attention to contracts you sign in the future. The only person who tied up their money is you.

--For those of you who plan to stay at a hotel prior to cruising.... Can you change your flight? Airlines have been allowing changes without fees. BUT DO IT SOON. Skip the overnight SJU stay, instead try to fly in the same-day-of-embarkation if it'll arrive before 10am. Overnight at MIA or ATL instead.

P.R. is in fiscal disarray, not just structural disarray. The electrical outages happened frequently before Hurricane Maria. Crime is rampant, and was rampant before Maria. The problems being televised right now are due to labor strikes. It sucks to have your vacation being altered so substantially.... but realize that your vacation is departing from a nation that is financially bankrupt. Consider the level of risk you can tolerate prior to making travel plans. And yes, not only is P.R bankrupt but they are in the hurricane belt. If you purchased a vacation in the Carribbean and didn't know about hurricanes, then congratulations, you are getting an education. We get them every year. Please, PLEASE continue to remember that the world has risks, and many of the avid cruisers on CruiseCritic live in FL. That means most of the people who read your posts about "vacation-uncertaintly" have INCURRED DAMAGES which we'll be paying for, for years. You are worried about your vacation but half the people on CruiseCritic are going to be paying for damages to their homes and workplaces, for a long time.

If you want to vacation in the Caribbean, then please realize how hostile it can be. I'm sure many people want only the good, only the drinking, only the partying, only the sunshine. Congratulations, you've been marketed to. :)

I hope all of you eventually get the cruise you've always dreamed of. In the meantime, I hope some of you will consider volunteering at the islands you desperately wanted to see...

No one needs a cruise.

I highly doubt half the posters on CC are from Florida. In fact I'd say that's a wild exaggeration.

Desperate to see a Caribbean island? I doubt most are desperate.

This is not at all true. You have been brainwashed by an orchestrated slander against organized labor. The only evidence of this is a Puerto Rican guy on YouTube saying it's happening.

If there was a strike or any sort of labor action, the Teamsters would not be organizing drivers to go to PR to move freight. Wouldn't happen. Period.

While I agree 100% that they 'must' cancel if logistics for Adventure aren't operational, unfortunately Royal Caribbean has proven over the last couple of months that they can't be trusted to make such decisions in the best interest of their passengers. The October 7th Adventure cruise is only the most recent sailing where they've strung along passengers, with the lack of changes or even acknowledgement of potential contingencies suggesting 'everything is fine'.

One thought - has anyone due to sail on October 7th on Adventure called up Royal or their travel agent and asked to switch to another cruise (either this weekend out of Florida, or at a later date)? Their latest update invites passengers "do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions"...if it were me, I'd look at alternative cruises and then take them up on that opening and call and ask them "can I change to cruise X without penalty?"

My husband did call RCI and were told until they cancelled the cruise, he explained how airplanes are unable to get into the airport. All we wanted to do was switch from AOS to Harmony same dates and was told NO. Even went up the ladder 3 levels of management and got the same response.

If there was a strike or any sort of labor action, the Teamsters would not be organizing drivers to go to PR to move freight. Wouldn't happen. Period.

Exactly. Many of the roads are precarious for cars. Imagine driving an 18 wheeler full of gas.

My husband did call RCI and were told until they cancelled the cruise, he explained how airplanes are unable to get into the airport. All we wanted to do was switch from AOS to Harmony same dates and was told NO. Even went up the ladder 3 levels of management and got the same response.

That's really unfortunate. I had hoped Royal Caribbean had started offering some flexibility to their passengers since they added that passage to their website, but apparently not. I applaud you for trying.

I also feel compelled to point out that this really smacks of an awful way to build loyalty and retain your paying customers. The airlines that have waived change fees for ticketed passengers well into the new year (up to April 2nd with American) seem to get this imperative to build good customer relations - it's really unfortunate that Royal Caribbean does not.

When we decided to sail during hurricane season, our concession was we might get a swap out of ports, not that we would have to be strung along by RCL on whether the cruise itself was a go, despite all other indications pointing to the opposite. We knew that St, Martin might get swapped for St. Kitts and so on. Fine. What we did not bargain on was RCL insisting cruises would go ahead and then canceling on short notice. We also did not bargain on RCL being determined to operate a cruise from a port with a curfew and to which international flights are not currently flying. I think that's a fair distinction to make.

Agreed...but with a Nov. 26th sail away, you're also just barely, technically still within hurricane season. This is all about the time needed to recover from a few unlucky direct hits by major hurricanes on three ports of call plus our embarkation port. The risk of a hurricane hitting the Southern Caribbean in late November is extremely low.

november.gif

source: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/

That is the best and most sensible idea I have read on this thread.

I guess my crystal ball is not working as well as yours at this point. I understand you want your money back, and had you purchased insurance that covered you for not wanting to go, then you would be able to get your money back.

If the situation in SJ improves enough, then RCI is offering an option for free transport from the airport and even an extra day on the ship if needed. If the situation stays the same, or deteriorates, then they will likely cancel.

I understand it is stressful, and many would just love all their money back. There is a reason my wife and I would likely never travel to the Caribbean during hurricane season, because of the extra stress and risk. Others can feel they are OK with the risk, and take that risk upon themselves, that is the choice everybody must make, just like RCI must try to decide whether it is safe to go. Right now, we still just do not know what it will be like tomorrow let alone in 5 days. Others are wanting their cruise for weeks from now fully refunded, and it just does not make sense imho, but I (gladly) am not the one that has to make those calls. It is a difficult situation all around, and not as black and white as some would have you believe. According to the briefings from the US government, everything is going great in PR.

Very well said!!!!

Unfortunately.....everything you listed was always a possibility. It is a possibility on any cruise, on any cruiseline, on any date....but especially during hurricane season!!!! Very unfortunately, the very itsy bitsy teeny weeny small print in the contract allows the cruiseline to handle the situation this way. You "accepted" that contract. I truly do feel for you....but...unfortunately....they really aren't doing anything "wrong". Granted, it isn't what some folks would prefer....but "it is what it is". As I have said previously, for every person that wants the cruise cancelled there may be others that want them to do the sailing. There may be PR booked that don't have power, water, etc and are booked to go and still want to go. There may be folks that have flights and hotels that are all "good to go" that "can" and "want" to "make the ship".

In an earlier post you indicated the ship sailing "wasn't doing anything for PR". I am not sure what....but I would "assume" that there are definitely "fees" paid by RC to sail in and out of PR each sailing. Those funds go to PR.

Also, you mentioned the curfew and said folks that do have a hotel can't have dinner out. I thought it was determined earlier today that the curfew has been changed to 9:00 pm. I saw where at least some restaurants are serving dinner until 9:00 pm.

I just called the AC Hotel to confirm my reservation at the end of the month. The hotel is open and are they are "awaiting our arrival." The gentleman I spoke with there said that most of the Condado area had power back. Things are getting better day by day and he expects that San Juan will be pretty much back to normal by the end of the month. He told me that the only thing that was still difficult are the lines for gas. It can still take up to four hours, which is better than what it was just days ago.
After reading your post I called the hotel myself again to see what was going on since they just told us it was closed.

There was a nice gentleman who answered the phone who said they're not accepting any reservations before November 1st.

He said the only reservations they are accepting now is from FEMA or anybody associated with the recovery effort.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

After reading your post I called the hotel myself again to see what was going on since they just told us it was closed.

There was a nice gentleman who answered the phone who said they're not accepting any reservations before November 1st.

He said the only reservations they are accepting now is from FEMA or anybody associated with the recovery effort.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I'll call again.

Very well said!!!!

Unfortunately.....everything you listed was always a possibility. It is a possibility on any cruise, on any cruiseline, on any date....but especially during hurricane season!!!! Very unfortunately, the very itsy bitsy teeny weeny small print in the contract allows the cruiseline to handle the situation this way. You "accepted" that contract. I truly do feel for you....but...unfortunately....they really aren't doing anything "wrong". Granted, it isn't what some folks would prefer....but "it is what it is". As I have said previously, for every person that wants the cruise cancelled there may be others that want them to do the sailing. There may be PR booked that don't have power, water, etc and are booked to go and still want to go. There may be folks that have flights and hotels that are all "good to go" that "can" and "want" to "make the ship".

In an earlier post you indicated the ship sailing "wasn't doing anything for PR". I am not sure what....but I would "assume" that there are definitely "fees" paid by RC to sail in and out of PR each sailing. Those funds go to PR.

Also, you mentioned the curfew and said folks that do have a hotel can't have dinner out. I thought it was determined earlier today that the curfew has been changed to 9:00 pm. I saw where at least some restaurants are serving dinner until 9:00 pm.

We will need to agree to disagree. While RCL is dripping out information a week at a time, all other providers have recognized what a horrible situation it is and have allowed passengers to change their plans. I find that unacceptable, you don’t, and we will have to learn to live with that

Bill

Just curious...."accepting" (as in "new" "to be booked") reservations or "honoring" (as in "already/previously booked") reservations?

Hotels profit well when govt "comes to town". The maximum federal per diem rate for San Juan is $167 in Oct (although hotels can actually force the govt to pay much higher, if all hotels raise their rates simultaneously). Tourists may not be able to get rooms with the already 12,000 Feds there (of course, many feds may not be in hotels). Or, tourists may have to offer "more mo".