Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

The reason they are not cancelling is that the situation is so fluid. Unless there's another hurricane, it's just going to get better. Just now, I found out that my family in Ponce has power. And the reach of power turning back on is growing every day.

We had flights booked on Delta that we no longer need (going to help, not for vacation). Delta reassured us that they were going in and out- and their logs showed that, too.

It's not going to perfect 100% before hurricane, and never will be. But it will be operating.

It's MORE likely that the airport will increase capability every day. Not get worse.

We also got news that more hotels in Ponce were opening up. Again, it's likely that hotels will open up- we've already seen more than one say that they are accepting reservations post Nov 1. The issue for booking right now is probably more about FEMA people than anything else.

This isn't what happened with Harvey, where the meteorologist missed the boat when it came to predicting what the hurricane would do. This is almost 2 weeks after a hurricane, where the situation is far, far, far from static and getting better by the day. That is why they have not canceled the cruise.

(besides, when you say you want to rebook- are you saying the exact same week? I doubt there are 1200 cabins available each week for all the cruises out of US mainland available, let alone the same booking class. This isn't like planes where there are multiple flights a day, these are once a week trips- it's really hard to move everyone at the last moment)

I've explored the possibility of boarding the ship at the first port of call, just in case I can't get to San Juan (St. Kitts). I'm doing everything I can to get to San Juan, but unfortunately I can't control the airlines. As of right now my flight is "suspended" so I can't just get my money back and rebook on another airline. I was told to check back after 10/6, as all flights through 10/6 have been canceled and they would hopefully have more information then.

I was told that it would be up to RCL if I missed the ship in San Juan as to whether or not I can board in St. Kitts. They make the decision on a case by case basis and they could say no.

I really don't know what they expect us all to do. If I can't get a flight to San Juan how can I possibly board the ship!

If your flight is cancelled, then your trip insurance would kick in.

From https://sea-distances.org San Juan to Port Everglades 922 NM 1 Day 22 hours @ 20 Kts. You really shouldn't post things that you don't research. BTY NYC to PE is 938 nm only 16 nm longer.

I was ON the freaking ship! I think that’s pretty damned good research or are you calling me a liar???

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The reason they are not cancelling is that the situation is so fluid. Unless there's another hurricane, it's just going to get better. Just now, I found out that my family in Ponce has power. And the reach of power turning back on is growing every day.

We had flights booked on Delta that we no longer need (going to help, not for vacation). Delta reassured us that they were going in and out- and their logs showed that, too.

It's not going to perfect 100% before hurricane, and never will be. But it will be operating.

It's MORE likely that the airport will increase capability every day. Not get worse.

We also got news that more hotels in Ponce were opening up. Again, it's likely that hotels will open up- we've already seen more than one say that they are accepting reservations post Nov 1. The issue for booking right now is probably more about FEMA people than anything else.

This isn't what happened with Harvey, where the meteorologist missed the boat when it came to predicting what the hurricane would do. This is almost 2 weeks after a hurricane, where the situation is far, far, far from static and getting better by the day. That is why they have not canceled the cruise.

(besides, when you say you want to rebook- are you saying the exact same week? I doubt there are 1200 cabins available each week for all the cruises out of US mainland available, let alone the same booking class. This isn't like planes where there are multiple flights a day, these are once a week trips- it's really hard to move everyone at the last moment)

Good post, very well said.

I've been following this thread as we are scheduled to sail on Jewel on a back to back cruise on departing December 3rd. Wondering if anyone on the October 7th, Adventure sailing has reached out to Michael Bayley's office regarding the condition of the San Juan Airport, lack of available flights and limited number of local hotels for pre or post cruise passengers.

When we sailed on Adventure on September 9th the Staff Captain told us 40 to 50% of Adventure passengers are residents of Puerto Rico. I don't think a lot of people from Puerto Rico are vacationing right now.

Seems like the ship is going to be sailing very empty if a limited number of commercial flights are landing and the normal Puerto Rico residents aren't sailing???

I've been following this thread as we are scheduled to sail on Jewel on a back to back cruise on departing December 3rd. Wondering if anyone on the October 7th, Adventure sailing has reached out to Michael Bayley's office regarding the condition of the San Juan Airport, lack of available flights and limited number of local hotels for pre or post cruise passengers.

When we sailed on Adventure on September 9th the Staff Captain told us 40 to 50% of Adventure passengers are residents of Puerto Rico. I don't think a lot of people from Puerto Rico are vacationing right now.

Seems like the ship is going to be sailing very empty if a limited number of commercial flights are landing and the normal Puerto Rico residents aren't sailing???

I really don't think he would give a damn. They are resting on the laurels of their humanitarian works. Not discounting the good because it is admirable but the treatment to those of us booked in October is not good. Seems like no regard for the passengers other than providing shuttles. How about cancelled flights? What about the people who cannot get to San? How about the possibility of cancelled return flights? They are still selling for Oct 14 and the price is higher than the 21st and 28th Ridiculous!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe they had a cruise with 2 sea days between San Juan and somewhere else.

Nope! We left NY in the evening. Had 2 sea days with no stops and sailed into San Juan harbor the next morning. Why are you all arguing with me? My point was that it shouldn’t take 2 days to get to FL (the person I was responding to said FL not where in FL) when you can get to San Juan from all the way up in NYC in 2 days and a few hours.

I. Was. On. The. Ship. I have the invoice with the itinerary. I probably have the freaking Fun Times (it was the Carnival Legend)

I’m done with you people. Just came here for some info on what was happening in San Juan. I’m not sailing until March and I’m so glad I’m not sailing on RCCI!

Nope! We left NY in the evening. Had 2 sea days with no stops and sailed into San Juan harbor the next morning. Why are you all arguing with me? My point was that it shouldn’t take 2 days to get to FL (the person I was responding to said FL not where in FL) when you can get to San Juan from all the way up in NYC in 2 days and a few hours.

I. Was. On. The. Ship. I have the invoice with the itinerary. I probably have the freaking Fun Times (it was the Carnival Legend)

I’m done with you people. Just came here for some info on what was happening in San Juan. I’m not sailing until March and I’m so glad I’m not sailing on RCCI!

Bye.

southwest has been going for days....our flight is going...all air is sold out and other ships are full..not many choices plus .we are arriving Friday... boarding ship

..no prob

Two days= 48 hours. A search of cruises in December from NYC to San Juan shows the fastest time at 72 hours. San Juan is 1400 NM from NYC. The Legend has a top speed of 22 knots. Assuming the ship leaves port and goes from 0 to 22 knots immediately, and arrives in San Juan going from 22 knots to 0 through the harbor and to the dock, then 63.64 hours is the minimum time the Legend could arrive from from NYC (not happening). I'm sure you had two seas days, but discounted the hours of the first day of the cruise, and fourth day before arrival.

The good news is that Royal released another update at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/US/en_US/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates . The bad news (for some of you) is that I don't see where they actually changed anything from the last update. That means it looks like they're bound and determined to sail from San Juan on Saturday. Will the airport be ready? Will the airlines be ready? Will the port be ready? Wiil the employees on the ground be ready? I'm guessing their crystal ball gives them enough positive answers to give this a try. Someone has to be first. I wish them well.

No one is arguing with you, the facts state it takes 1 day & 22 hours to transit from San Juan to Port Everglades.

Port_distance.jpg

Nope! We left NY in the evening. Had 2 sea days with no stops and sailed into San Juan harbor the next morning. Why are you all arguing with me? My point was that it shouldn’t take 2 days to get to FL (the person I was responding to said FL not where in FL) when you can get to San Juan from all the way up in NYC in 2 days and a few hours. ...

Assuming you left at 5pm on day 1 and arrived at 8am on day 4 (days 2 and 3 are sea days), that's more than 2.5 days (63 hours) to San Juan. This would require around a 22 knot speed.

Edited by Host Clarea

Interestingly, in my mind I would jump on that cruise ASAP if I were a resident of Puerto Rico. Air conditioning, hot food, clean bathrooms. I'd take it.

and if someone wants to jump on me. I've lived in Florida since 1987. I've been through multiple hurricanes (Andrew, Wilma, Irma, etc), power losses lasting upwards of 2 weeks, albeit not as bad as some in PR. But If I had the opportunity to jump on a cruise ship with those things mentioned above after being without power, a/c, and hot food. i would certainly take it!

Interestingly, in my mind I would jump on that cruise ASAP if I were a resident of Puerto Rico. Air conditioning, hot food, clean bathrooms. I'd take it.

and if someone wants to jump on me. I've lived in Florida since 1987. I've been through multiple hurricanes (Andrew, Wilma, Irma, etc), power losses lasting upwards of 2 weeks, albeit not as bad as some in PR. But If I had the opportunity to jump on a cruise ship with those things mentioned above after being without power, a/c, and hot food. i would certainly take it!

It's just like evacuating, but actually fun. ;)

For those insistent that RC should let them change cruises, have you actually provided them the following documentation?

Doc from the airline that your flight has been cancelled and they do not have seats to get you there before the sail date/time

Doc from hotel that states they have cancelled your previously booked hotel reservation

If I had these docs in print (not just verbal), then I would call RC and ask for resolutions and then ask the resolutions rep for his/her email address. I would email the docs while I still had them on the line....and then ask them to review and please consider allowing a change to XYZ ship on XYZ date in XYZ cabin.

Without providing those docs, you are just asking them to waive "unallowed" changes based on "hypothetical" "what ifs".

Will the airport be ready? Will the airlines be ready? Will the port be ready? Wiil the employees on the ground be ready? I'm guessing their crystal ball gives them enough positive answers to give this a try. Someone has to be first. I wish them well.

Best I can tell from news reports the airport is operating at near normal levels. (though FEMA is controlling traffic and only allotting a certain number of landings for commercial traffic.)

The port, and by that I mean the Pan American pier should be fine. Royal said they only suffered minor damage.

(Carnival reported severe damage to their terminal building at the OSJ pier and they cancelled cruises right away.)

Adventure of the seas docked and evacuated people. I didn't see it noted in any news story that it was the pan

american pier, but I think it's a safe assumption.

Can they staff a terminal? We'll find out soon enough. We're not due to sail out of PR for another 6 weeks, but I have high hopes for anyone on the October 14th and beyond sailings.

Best I can tell from news reports the airport is operating are near normal levels.

The port, and by that I mean the Pan American pier should be fine. Royal said they only suffered minor damage.

(Carnival reported severe damage to their terminal building at the OSJ pier and they cancelled cruises right away.)

Adventure of the seas docked and evacuated people. I didn't see it noted in any news story that it was the pan

american pier, but I think it's a safe assumption.

Can they staff a terminal? We'll find out soon enough. We're not due to sail out of PR for another 6 weeks, but I have high hopes for anyone on the October 14th and beyond sailings.

Checking online at the departures/arrivals area of the SJU website, the airport is still suffering many canceled flights.

AOS docked at the downtown pier, not at its normal pier, when it boarded 2,000 people dying to get out of there less than a week ago.

Checking online at the departures/arrivals area of the SJU website, the airport is still suffering many canceled flights.

AOS docked at the downtown pier, not at its normal pier, when it boarded 2,000 people dying to get out of there less than a week ago.

I wasn't there, but the fact that they docked in OSJ, might just be because the people they were trying to evac were near there, since the pan american pier is not near much population.

On Oct 14 sailing.Called today to see if I could get an upgrade (LOL) , Was told that all of the suites are booked except an owner's suite which is not available for upgrade. I find it hard to believe that they are all booked

On Oct 14 sailing.Called today to see if I could get an upgrade (LOL) , Was told that all of the suites are booked except an owner's suite which is not available for upgrade. I find it hard to believe that they are all booked

You might try onboard,. There will surely be more than the usual number of no-shows and RCL would love to charge for the room twice.

Just a quick update directly from PR. They situation is still critic. While they are reporting some ports opened with restrictions, those restrictions are: they are open for volunteers and supplies coming in. Also people that want to leave the island to Florida.

The airport is cancelling a lot of flights as they go because they are monotoring the situation. Flights are not available at night because the runway does not have power. Limited flights are coming in bringing volunteers and helping people get out. Tough situation. They are hoping day by day the power will come on.

Condado does not have power does are generator and San Juan only has power near the Governor's House and some street.

Only area right now with limited power is Levitown which is on the outside of San Juan.

Helping out here is very tough and sad!

San Juan tourism just announced via twitter that this week's sailing is a definite go. How RCL will deal with people without the ability to make it to the ship because their flights are cancelled is anyone's guess. Mine would be that RCL will advise them to join the ship in the first port, which is Martinique. Is that airport open yet?