Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

I'm a Hurricane Irma victim. My town was in the EYE. My house still stands, but I have $$$$ in damages. My neighbors got their roofs caved in. It took a week to get electricity. Gas was unavailable, and policemen had to monitor the 1 or 2 stations that distributed it, to keep rioting at bay in an area of 150k people. The fear was enormous. The evacuation: looking around my house beforehand, deciding what to put in my car vs. what to abandon forever... it was a horrible experience.

I am grateful for the NWS warnings ahead of time, and grateful for everything Fl Gov Scott and Trump did afterward, to keep order in our destroyed towns. Those of you who complain about your money "being held hostage" have never been held hostage by a foreign power or psychopath. You shouldn't even use the word "hostage".

How many people here would be willing to do a cruise excursion in San Juan or St Thomas in which the customers do some rebuilding? i.e. cleaning up garbage, doing some digging in the dirt, getting really sweaty, helping to rebuild? Most of these ports will have nothing scenic to offer cruisers in the near future. Perhaps cruisers could be givers, instead of takers. If you are cruising, would you be willing to spend a day helping to rebuild? You would get filthy. Really, really filthy. Would you be willing to go on that kind of an excursion, if you didn't have to pay for it? Instead of paying $70 for a bus tour, you could pay $0 and take a bus ride to a place where you could help the hurricane clean-up.... are you willing to do it?

How can we make this happen?

Plenty of cruisers in the U.S... how can we get them to help the destroyed islands?

Those of you so worried about your money held hostage are disgusting to me. Have you no heart? Have you ever given of yourself to help destroyed people? Have you ever interacted with anyone whose home & career has been destroyed by an uncontrollable event?

Or do you think you are a genious for living in a low-risk area? Where's your trip insurance now?

Truly odd post.

PR isn't asking for cruise vacationers to go to their island so they have to keep safe and support that many more people. Where woud they sleep?

My husband had cancer when we were 26 years old and with an infant, living a day's drive from family, and he was out of work for 6 months. Did you help me? Life ain't a bowl of cherries, dear. Go live along the upper Mississippi during a flood, or Oklahoma during an F-5 tornado.

Life is full of tragedy. That is part of why we vacation.

Pull up your big kid underwear and stop lashing out at the wrong people...

Also, you seemed to have missed the point that RC is holding money hostage and they are not you.

This is an update as of Sept. 29 @ 7:00 p.m. from Puerto Rico Tourism:

http://puertoricoxnow.seepuertorico.com/

This is a quote from the PR tourism page: “If you have a trip scheduled for this upcoming week and through October 15, we recommend you call your hotel or travel agent directly and consider rebooking for a later date.”

Our government (Canada) also has a travel advisory against traveling there, meaning that those who do will likely void whatever travel insurance they have. Airlines and hotels have waived change fees. RCL seems to be the only company insisting it’s business as usual, in terms of those with travel scheduled soon. Will they cancel those cruises? Most likely. In the meantime, they drip out information a few days at a time, making people wait and leaving them unable to plan. Some here seem to feel that’s okay and understandable. I do not. If anyone can give examples of other travel providers behaving this way, I’d love to hear it.

We all have empathy and compassion for the people of PR and affected islands.

However, as a cruiser on the 10/7 sailing of the AOS in a week, I question the safety of bringing 3000 passengers into SJU airport when it does not appear to be operating at 100%. Still on basic generator power, no a/c, no water and long lines.

The mayor of San Juan was on all national news networks yesterday saying "We are dying" in San Juan and other areas of PR and need help, but RCI is still going forward with the 10/7 sailing.

Exactly right. It makes no sense to add thousands of people to a destroyed and fragile infrastructure, when the citizens need resources.

Truly odd post.

PR isn't asking for cruise vacationers to go to their island so they have to keep safe and support that many more people. Where woud they sleep?

My husband had cancer when we were 26 years old and with an infant, living a day's drive from family, and he was out of work for 6 months. Did you help me? Life ain't a bowl of cherries, dear. Go live along the upper Mississippi during a flood, or Oklahoma during an F-5 tornado.

Life is full of tragedy. That is part of why we vacation.

Pull up your big kid underwear and stop lashing out at the wrong people...

Also, you seemed to have missed the point that RC is holding money hostage and they are not you.

Right! Sorry for this person but we did not cause the problem. I have donated money and supplies. As I said do not remember them stopping their life when I had major tragdies in my life.

Right! Sorry for this person but we did not cause the problem. I have donated money and supplies. As I said do not remember them stopping their life when I had major tragdies in my life.

I know parents whose children died and they would rather go through 100 natural disasters than to lose a child.

None of us have any idea why another is going on a cruise-- whether purely recreational or respite from something. The cruise I took 4 months after my dad died was exactly what I needed: to not have to cook or clean, and to be able to grieve and rest whenever I wanted. It was salve for an open wound.

From a fellow cruiser on my Roll Call Board:

From a Department of Defense update about two hours ago...

-- Power has been restored to San Juan airport and marine terminals.

-- Eight hundred and fifty-one of 1,100 retail gas stations have reopened and purchase limits have been lifted. Forty-nine percent of grocery and big box stores are open.

-- Erosion repairs to the Guajataca Dam are scheduled to begin Oct. 1-2.

-- The Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort departed Norfolk, Virginia, yesterday and it is estimated to arrive in Puerto Rico on Oct. 4.

-- Five of six FEMA-priority sea ports are open or open with restrictions; surveys of Ponce and Roosevelt Roads are ongoing.

I think your post is out of line. Having empathy for/helping disaster victims and worrying about a long-awaited vacation aren't mutually exclusive. I too live in a hard hit area (Harvey), and although my home was spared, hundreds of my neighbors weren't so lucky. I've spent much of the last 5 weeks donating time, food, and cash.

I'm also cruising very soon. I'm excited and more than ready to leave the stench of mold and mountains of debris for a few days. Yes, I would be upset and worried if I thought my trip was in jeopardy. That doesn't make me greedy, insensitive, or disgusting. I have a heart and give generously when and where I can. For you to assume anyone worried about a vacation is somehow morally and ethically inferior is wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you! My feelings exactly.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/TJSJ

FlightAware is great. This is a list of the flights scheduled in/out of SJU airport as well as the recently arrived and departed, so you don't really have to speculate. JBU is JetBlue, DAL is Delta, AA is American, FFT Frontier, SWA Southwest, then there are a variety of private jets, and I even see an Etihad. You can look at Arrived, Departed, and more. I used this site earlier in the week to figure out who had the most flights and advise a friend whose daughter was stranded in San Juan and needed a flight out. At that time, JetBlue had the most flights and they were able to call and get her a confirmed seat.

With the damage to the flight control systems, they have had to space flights out more than normal. I'm happy to see they're able to get more flights out per hour now. But San Juan airport has a long, long way to go.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/TJSJ

FlightAware is great. This is a list of the flights scheduled in/out of SJU airport as well as the recently arrived and departed, so you don't really have to speculate. JBU is JetBlue, DAL is Delta, AA is American, FFT Frontier, SWA Southwest, then there are a variety of private jets, and I even see an Etihad. You can look at Arrived, Departed, and more. I used this site earlier in the week to figure out who had the most flights and advise a friend whose daughter was stranded in San Juan and needed a flight out. At that time, JetBlue had the most flights and they were able to call and get her a confirmed seat.

With the damage to the flight control systems, they have had to space flights out more than normal. I'm happy to see they're able to get more flights out per hour now. But San Juan airport has a long, long way to go.

Etihad? I understood that SJU wasn't re-opened to international flights yet.

So she didn't get out? Jet Blue is still cancelled. I believe United cancelled one route to SJU next week. I saw that on the roll call.

Errrm. No. Thats not correct about Jet Blue. As he/she pointed out there have been flights. There are flights today and they booked a confirmed flight for their friend. Take look at the link which was posted.

Whilst it's true that there have been many cancellations it's also erroneous to keep on insisting there are no flights into or out of SJU.

And three more inches of rain coming.

kathy

That ought to wash the mosquito larvae out of the area.

We had the same problem after Harvey and they used Air Force planes to spray the whole area and they are not bad.

I know parents whose children died and they would rather go through 100 natural disasters than to lose a child.

None of us have any idea why another is going on a cruise-- whether purely recreational or respite from something. The cruise I took 4 months after my dad died was exactly what I needed: to not have to cook or clean, and to be able to grieve and rest whenever I wanted. It was salve for an open wound.

Exactly, when my 28 year nephew died from cancer ...I would have done anything to stop it! When my 35 year nephew died from complications of diabeties...I would have gladly gone through any number of disasters ...we never know what someone else has endured .

Reader

I understand much confusion still persists. While FlightAware does list flight arrivals and departures, the number of airframes is greatly reduced from a normal schedule. Also, at the top of the page, is written:

Luis Munoz Marin Intl (SJU / TJSJ) is currently experiencing an airport closure until Friday at 06:00AM AST.

The above is stated on Sunday, October 1, so that leads me to believe the passenger loads will continue to be affected until at least Friday, October 6. Of course, the situation is fluid as conditions are reassessed.

I understand much confusion still persists. While FlightAware does list flight arrivals and departures, the number of airframes is greatly reduced from a normal schedule. Also, at the top of the page, is written:

Luis Munoz Marin Intl (SJU / TJSJ) is currently experiencing an airport closure until Friday at 06:00AM AST.

The above is stated on Sunday, October 1, so that leads me to believe the passenger loads will continue to be affected until at least Friday, October 6. Of course, the situation is fluid as conditions are reassessed.

It said the same thing last Thursday about being closed until Friday @6AM. This seems like a general post that hasn't been changed yet. The airlines may still be the best source on SJU airport openings . I think the airlines are being too selfish not letting people cancel flights to PR for the remaining year without fees or penalties. We are being held hostage week to week. The cruise lines are not much better, by making week to week cancellation announcements.

This island is in a state of emergency . 8-12 weeks is not enough time for this island to safely return to normalcy. Cruisers will get the least consideration if something doesn't go right concerning transportation. On a Sat and Sun in November, 5000 people will be disembarking each day and probably going to the airport to go home. Is there anybody here that thinks this will go off smoothly without a hitch?

Edited by bananawindnj

I didn't realize there was more and I don't know how to edit on tap talk...

Did you know there's a cruisecritic app? I de I found it I deleted Tapatalk.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/27/554057314/flights-are-picking-up-at-puerto-rico-airport-but-the-faa-is-concerned-about-rad

FAA is concerned about radar

(Article from the 27th)

1bad7d34bff08eac08a06b56d8e34260.png

ec76c7ada676c0ef645ca8a3b73f1e9a.png

(Snipped)

And this today:

49536ca86edcfeade1d6e9b94071d310.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One of those articles said sju is the only airport open.

Which is not what is said here. http://puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com

Jet Blue is telling people that the airport is closed to commercial traffic.

They have also told one person there won't be a commercial flight until 2018 to SJU

What is JB smoking? Check out kayak.com. United and delta have flights scheduled (not available immediately)...and going forward they have more. And that's just checking the Boston route.

Food, water an electricity are riot worthy.

I agree though, WHY post it on twitter? I guess he figures no one else on the island will see the tweet?

Except hesnim SJ and is tweeting. And that's how a lot of info is getting out. I've been following Lin-Manuel Miranda on FB and that's how he has heard from his family, is through social media. It's getting confusing to have pix of people holding cellphones up to towers etc when news is getting out all over the place, people are tweeting and phoning and giving info, and that obviously means there is power and cell and satellite services in places.

I'm pointing out that the media is saying weird things right now. They seem to be getting confused.

Just got off the phone with JetBlue...we are scheduled to sail on 10/14 and fly in 10/13....was hoping to change flights to Sat 10/14 but they are booked solid AND all flights from Boston to SJU are cancelled thru 10/10. At this point I am kind of hoping it gets extended to 10/13 so our flight is cancelled, our insurance for the cruise will kick in and we can choose another destination and move on. This waiting is making me crazy :(

When you say they say "all" flights, are they meaning all JB flights to sju? Has to be because kayak shoes flights in the timeframe you're discussing. Not even expensive ones.

Now, getting home will be more expensive, but airlines are still selling tickets.

According to Southwest, those are humanitarian missions and not commercial flights.

Then why are airlines selling tickets to the public?

I don't think it will either be fine or it will get cancelled. I mean, yes, you are right in a way that passengers have to be patient because cruises will continue to get cancelled as time goes on and if conditions don't improve bigly.

However, with Harvey, RC did cause passengers to get stuck in Houston in a disaster zone and during the storm because they didn't cancel a cruise. They were also unable to leave Houston after the storm because of storm related issues.

Also, people will still have to pack and pretend a cruise is happening, even if it gets cancelled days before. I find packing for a cruise to be stressful. Packing for an imaginary cruise would be worse.

And, finally, because of RC and Harvey, for passengers who do go to San Juan if this cruise is still scheduled to depart in *7* days, there is a large chance (in all liklihood in my opinion), that they will fly into an unsafe area with lack of infrastructure for human habitation. That is NOT fine. That is not ok.

People have the right to be concerned for their physical and medical health and safety going to San Juan next week. Absolutely.

They also have the right to be concerned about getting a flight off the island when the cruise is over.

Fine meaning the travel providers will feel they can get you there. Not that it'll all be peachy.

They'll say ok or they'll say no. Either way the traveler needs to decide what THEY will do.

If I want to travel to Barcelona after an attack or to some random town after a gunman kills people in America, if the airline is letting me go, then I get to make that choice. If I do NOT want to go there after that and the airline is letting me go, I get to make that choice. Everyone has their own thresholds. So make the choice either way.

Agreed because I also found out on twitter that the only people evacuated on RC the other day were families of employees and stranded tourists!

Well, yeah. There have been people-from-elsewhere trying to get home. They have other places to be. They have their families to get back to.

The only disingenuous thing I've seen Royal doing is calling it a ship for evacuees, which makes it sound like they are taking PR residents who want to be gone from the island. Tourists from elsewhere are evacuees too, yes, but they aren't really telling the whole truth

Errrm. No. Thats not correct about Jet Blue. As he/she pointed out there have been flights. There are flights today and they booked a confirmed flight for their friend. Take look at the link which was posted.

Whilst it's true that there have been many cancellations it's also erroneous to keep on insisting there are no flights into or out of SJU.

No one ever said there were no flights in and out of SJU. They are up to about 30 flights a day into SJU.