Specialty Dining Cancellation Fee?

This is a term and condition on a TA booking site:

• Please note that effective immediately, Norwegian Cruise Line will assess a $15.00 USD per person (subject to change without notice) cancellation fee for specialty restaurant reservations cancelled inside 24 hours. Reservations made on embarkation day will not be assessed the $15.00 USD per person fee if the reservation is cancelled prior to 5:00 pm.

Is this new?

• Please note that effective immediately, Norwegian Cruise Line will assess a $15.00 USD per person (subject to change without notice) cancellation fee for specialty restaurant reservations cancelled inside 24 hours. Reservations made on embarkation day will not be assessed the $15.00 USD per person fee if the reservation is cancelled prior to 5:00 pm.

Is this new?

Yes, it's new. I wonder if the TA got an email from NCL? I haven't seen that anywhere else.

Personally, I think the cancellation time should be more like six hours rather than 24. If someone cancels by noon it's plenty of time for someone else to book the slot.

Yes, it's new. I wonder if the TA got an email from NCL? I haven't seen that anywhere else.

Personally, I think the cancellation time should be more like six hours rather than 24. If someone cancels by noon it's plenty of time for someone else to book the slot.

I agree that the restaurant themselves can easily fill that spot if cancelled by noon, but passengers are making plans for port or on the ship based on the Dailies received the night before...... they may be making reservations at an alternate restaurant etc..... 24 hours is respectful to other passengers.... I don't want to be on an excursion and trying to make dinner reservations

Is this new?

I think it is great. Those restaurants are often full of EMPTY tables. I know some are due to staffing planning, etc. But lots are due to people that change their mind and do not call.

Personally, I am amazed how people plan which restaurant and what time they will eat months in advance. Most of my family has no idea what they want to eat tonight - LOL!

NCL is setting themselves up for still greater criticism of 'nickel-and-diming" their customers. Many hotels (worldwide), with much more at risk, don't require 24 hours notice. So a few what-ifs:

• You are on an NCL excursion that returns late causing you to miss your reservation, do they slam you with this charge?
  • If another cruiser is there to take the time-slot, do they still hit the first party with this fine? (Note: NCL lost nothing in this case.)
  • So $15pp - I don't think there are any (or very few) single person tables in these restaurants, so its really a $30 minimum hit for a couple. Will cruisers start booking for one, but show up as a couple?
  • If, god forbid, you take ill after lunch, do you get hit with this fine?

If the objective is to maximize the availability of specialty restaurant seating (a reasonable goal), there are more rational approaches. This is an unnecessary policy, fraught with issues, that will only earn NCL a bad name for "customer service."

I see it as an incentive to plan carefully rather than a fine. We've often tried to make reservations to be told they are fully booked and then find empty tables and room to be accommodated. Hopefully it will stop the approach of booking just in case. We've sailed other lines where if you don't give 24 hours notice, you're charged the full cover charge. It's only a concern if you don't plan well. The other line happily moved your booking for free for illness.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the thing that kinda sucks is that with the new ships you don't really know what is on the daily schedule until the day of. On smaller ships, I know the show is twice daily (7:00 and 9:30) and generally there are some late night activities between 9pm and close. Therefore, I book an early dinner to try to get to everything. With the Aways, I really don't know what any given night will look like.

This has been way too long in coming.

The whole freestyle concept went out when reservations came in. So many times we tried to get tables in empty restaurants to be told no, it is full. Full of no show bookings it seems. So many times we have entered Cagneys or Le Bistro to find ourselves plus 2 other couples for the entire duration of our meal.

I know some will complain but in reality if you make a reservation you should turn up as you are selfishly depriving someone else of the opportunity to dine in your place. This will mean people will need to plan better and stop making speculative reservations that they have no concern about fulfilling or doing something else.

Welcome back Freestyle. I missed you.

I see it as an incentive to plan carefully rather than a fine. We've often tried to make reservations to be told they are fully booked and then find empty tables and room to be accommodated. Hopefully it will stop the approach of booking just in case. We've sailed other lines where if you don't give 24 hours notice, you're charged the full cover charge. It's only a concern if you don't plan well. The other line happily moved your booking for free for illness.

I agree, I've read posts were folks will make reservations for two restaurants (under different names), because they just don't know which one they will want to go to. Also, folks have posted that they make reservations, just in case they want to go. I think this is great and hopefully it makes people think.

Didn't they have a similar policy before a la carte came into play?

I think the thing that kinda sucks is that with the new ships you don't really know what is on the daily schedule until the day of. On smaller ships, I know the show is twice daily (7:00 and 9:30) and generally there are some late night activities between 9pm and close. Therefore, I book an early dinner to try to get to everything. With the Aways, I really don't know what any given night will look like.

So this will benefit you. This charge is for people who book several weeks or months in advance and then just don't show up. It prevents people like you from booking a specialty restaurant on the day of, because someone who has no intention of eating at that time has already booked that slot. Many of the other cruise lines have this cancellation penalty and NCL is finally catching up. I

NCL is setting themselves up for still greater criticism of 'nickel-and-diming" their customers. Many hotels (worldwide), with much more at risk, don't require 24 hours notice. So a few what-ifs:

• You are on an NCL excursion that returns late causing you to miss your reservation, do they slam you with this charge?
  • If another cruiser is there to take the time-slot, do they still hit the first party with this fine? (Note: NCL lost nothing in this case.)
  • So $15pp - I don't think there are any (or very few) single person tables in these restaurants, so its really a $30 minimum hit for a couple. Will cruisers start booking for one, but show up as a couple?

If the objective is to maximize the availability of specialty restaurant seating (a reasonable goal), there are more rational approaches. This is an unnecessary policy, fraught with issues, that will only earn NCL a bad name for "customer service."

No, many hotels now require 48-96 hours notice to cancel reservations. The majority have gotten away from same day or 24 hour cancellation policies.

So this will benefit you. This charge is for people who book several weeks or months in advance and then just don't show up. It prevents people like you from booking a specialty restaurant on the day of, because someone who has no intention of eating at that time has already booked that slot. Many of the other cruise lines have this cancellation penalty and NCL is finally catching up. I

I guess that's a fair point, obviously assuming that it decreases reservations. People could potentially eat the fee, or perhaps there is so much demand and not enough supply that they are still booked. In that event, same screwed up situation where you are throwing darts at a dartboard trying to make reservations months before you know the schedule.

I don’t see any issue with a 24 hour cancellation policy.

Other than if your are sick there shouldn’t be any reason to cancel.

I was always able to find something on any restaurants menu on a cruise that I liked and it isn’t as if you have to drive anywhere or you missed the boat.

Just common courtesy to honour your reservation or make the effort to cancel if you can’t, hotel, restaurant or whatever.

This new policy has nothing to do with making reservations more accessible for guest. This does add to the $$'s that NCL will make on the cruise. Anyone who thinks this kind of charge is for any other reason is fooling themselves.

This new policy has nothing to do with making reservations more accessible for guest. This does add to the $$'s that NCL will make on the cruise. Anyone who thinks this kind of charge is for any other reason is fooling themselves.

You are entitled to your opinion but it does not matter to me if NCL profits from this. What matters is that more people will be able to enjoy their cruise by eating at times they prefer.

I don’t see any issue with a 24 hour cancellation policy.

Other than if your are sick there shouldn’t be any reason to cancel. ...

A problem we have run into a few times is that after we are in our cabin and get the newsletter with next day info sometimes the timing of an activity or the subject of evening entertainment causes us to cancel the next night's reservation. According to these new rules we'd have to miss the activity or entertainment or be dinged $15 each. That's why I think requiring 24 hours is too long a time frame.

I think they should've made the cancellation time after the delivery of the daily.

A lot of people (myself included) would only cancel at the last minute if sick or if an activity we were interested in was listed in the daily at that time.

I have never been on these ships but I definitely understand how customers not showing up would cause Norwegian to make less money and make the trip less enjoyable for people who can't eat dinner at a restaurant that isn't even full. I just wish the cancellation window was bigger.

It's not a big deal though. Many people will just stop making reservations. Then they'll have more people waiting to get in the restaurants and perhaps if it becomes a problem they'll revisit the cancellation window. If it works out fine then it will be more like the freestyle approach that they marketed.

Is there any penalty for canceling MDR reservations? If not then advance planners will just book in there.

Is this new?

Nothing new about it, but it has not been enforced.

I think they should've made the cancellation time after the delivery of the daily.

A lot of people (myself included) would only cancel at the last minute if sick or if an activity we were interested in was listed in the daily at that time.

I have never been on these ships but I definitely understand how customers not showing up would cause Norwegian to make less money and make the trip less enjoyable for people who can't eat dinner at a restaurant that isn't even full. I just wish the cancellation window was bigger.

It's not a big deal though. Many people will just stop making reservations. Then they'll have more people waiting to get in the restaurants and perhaps if it becomes a problem they'll revisit the cancellation window. If it works out fine then it will be more like the freestyle approach that they marketed.

Is there any penalty for canceling MDR reservations? If not then advance planners will just book in there.

This policy was already in effect on my Sept 1 sailing and so I just made reservations at the MDRs in advance, like you just mentioned. There is no penalty associated with the MDRs.

I happen to think it is a good idea, maybe not 24 hours but certainly by early morning. Plan your longer excursions for days you will not plan on eating in specialty dining rooms and visa versa. As for your comment on hotels and cancellations, this is not always the case. I am retired from a large, well known hotel chain, yes, the do often charge you if you do not cancel 24 hours in advance, if you are booked on a special rate and for other reasons. No, not all the hotels and not always, but many times there is a cancellation fee.

Before the advent of à la carte, there was already a note about cancellation penalties for specialty dining in the Daily, but I don't know if anyone was ever charged it (as long as they actually cancelled as opposed to just no-showing). I think this $15 penalty will also be more of a deterrent than a strictly-applied policy. Of course if your NCL excursion gets back late and causes you to miss your reservation, they won't charge you the penalty. And of course if you get sick they don't want you coming to the restaurant. I really suspect that will hardly ever charge anyone the $15 penalty for canceling within 24 hours. Only the really obnoxious guests.