drinking package - each adult have to purchase it - allure january 7 2018

Keep in mind, that I've sailed with Royal long enough that I understand, call 10 times, you'll probably get 10 different answers, but first answer I received is, because it allowed me to purchase just for DD, then I won't be charged. He's put me on hold, taking bets on whether or not he comes back with a different answer... ha ha... so, all guests must purchase. He's making a note for an exception for me, since I don't drink. How much do you want to bet I get charged and have to fight the charge?

Edited by Candleonwater
add on to post

Keep in mind, that I've sailed with Royal long enough that I understand, call 10 times, you'll probably get 10 different answers, but first answer I received is, because it allowed me to purchase just for DD, then I won't be charged. He's put me on hold, taking bets on whether or not he comes back with a different answer...

Yesterday somebody from our sailing called in and they said it did not apply to allure at all, and was only for a couple of ships, which is obviously wrong, since it is enforced on our cruise planner.

Yesterday somebody from our sailing called in and they said it did not apply to allure at all, and was only for a couple of ships, which is obviously wrong, since it is enforced on our cruise planner.

When you say "enforced", what do you mean? It is stated in our cruise planner, but I was able to purchase for just one adult, when in fact the new rule is already in place on our ship.

I think this is kind of sneaky on the part of Royal. No warning.

I'm always at the break even point. Always enjoyed not needing to sign for each drink. Now, I'm turning Diamond, I was on the fence for the 2018 cruise since I get a few free drinks. My wife drinks 1 drink a day, and only gets the soda package. She can't medically, drink that much. I know I will be able to get her exempt. At the end of the day, this change does not bother me, or affects me, but it sure does annoy me.

I also want them to bring back the beer and wine package. That, I might get.

When you say "enforced", what do you mean? It is stated in our cruise planner, but I was able to purchase for just one adult, when in fact the new rule is already in place on our ship.

I think this is kind of sneaky on the part of Royal. No warning.

I am saying that if I go to purchase, it automatically selects both adults, and will not let you remove one. If you click on one, it says all adults over 21 must purchase if one does.

As for being sneaky, that makes sense, if they announced they were going to do it, then people would have just gone and purchased for one before it went into effect.

I am saying that if I go to purchase, it automatically selects both adults, and will not let you remove one. If you click on one, it says all adults over 21 must purchase if one does.

See, that's what I don't understand. For my sailing it didn't do that. So it still sounds like it might not be fleetwide at this point.

Yep, very sneaky. Will not affect my wife and I as were are together in buying it or not. But a friend and his wife we are traveling with was wanting to buy it and I told him to hold off and see if it went on sale. Now I feel bad as he could have probably purchased it a while back and not had to also buy for his wife, who does not drink and was not thinking about getting the plan. We sail Jan 7 on the Liberty

Just went and purchased it for our upcoming Anthem cruise (25 Nov) and was able to buy just one for our stateroom of 2 guests (over 21). Not sure what will happen upon check-in, but I wasn't forced to purchase for all individuals in our stateroom.

Let's see. We have an upcharge for specialty dining (and specialty items in the MDR), return of the corkage fee, room service delivery charge and now all adults in a stateroom must buy a drink package. Wonder what's next? That'll be $.50 for catsup on your burger. Extra rolls at dinner are $1 each. Sorry, you've used your allotment of toilet paper for the cruise. You have to pay for more.

Let's see. We have an upcharge for specialty dining (and specialty items in the MDR), return of the corkage fee, room service delivery charge and now all adults in a stateroom must buy a drink package. Wonder what's next? That'll be $.50 for catsup on your burger. Extra rolls at dinner are $1 each. Sorry, you've used your allotment of toilet paper for the cruise. You have to pay for more.

Swipe your SeaPass card to use the bathroom? To enhance our cruising experience.

i did buy it when it was $55 + tips b/c I was afraid they were going to do this and my friend drinks a couple glasses of wine a day and plans to bring a bottle with her and me take one on also. Then if the price went down I would have cancelled and rebooked or if it did not go down, I would have canceled and bought on the ship with my 30% D+ discount.

But now, I will just leave it alone since I have it and she doesn't. I am going to call 2 or 3 times and verify that if one person bought the pkg before this went in effect, the other person will not be forced to purchase it. If they don't grandfather in, then I will have to cancel and go to plan B. But hoping it doesn't happen.

Can you inform us when you have the answer please? Im not very good in english to call :) thanks!

As for being sneaky, that makes sense, if they announced they were going to do it, then people would have just gone and purchased for one before it went into effect.

I just tried doing a dummy purchase and the same thing happened to me. This was for Oasis Jan. 7, 2018. I was thinking about purchasing for just me, since hubby does not drink. Guess I will just pay as I go.

I just tried doing a dummy purchase and the same thing happened to me. This was for Oasis Jan. 7, 2018. I was thinking about purchasing for just me, since hubby does not drink. Guess I will just pay as I go.

Not sure how they handle it (if they flag the seapass), but you can still purchase over the phone, and just have him exempted as he doesn't drink...

Not sure how they handle it (if they flag the seapass), but you can still purchase over the phone, and just have him exempted as he doesn't drink...

Has anyone tried this yet? Do they really make an exception if you tell them your roommate/wife does not drink and allow you to buy only one beverage plan?

Well I’m guessing that when one person was buying the package and the other person just paying as they go, the non-package passengers were ‘buying’ less drinks, partly because some bar staff were assuming both passengers had the package and didn’t charge for the second, partly because of sharing, and partly because they just didn’t actually drink as much when they had to actually pay for it each time because it made them stop and think about it a bit more. So they figure they are probably going to go through the same amount of drinks, but now everyone will be paying for them.

Does anyone have the OFFICIAL list of dates/ships when this starts?? Just because the front screen says everyone has to buy, this seems to be on all cruises irrespective of sail dates.

And what is the OFFICIAL line about being grandfathered in ( if they are going to do this)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is effective 12/31/17 fleet wide

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see it as the reverse... not that she MUST but rather unless they all want to buy her husband CANT

(Sorry not shouting, caps for emphasis)

You can opt out for various reasons - religion, pregnancy, recovering alcoholic or personal preference not to drink. I think Royal is hoping not everyone will know this and sell more to the no drinking parties and/or less people will buy it.

You can opt out for various reasons - religion, pregnancy, recovering alcoholic or personal preference not to drink. I think Royal is hoping not everyone will know this and sell more to the no drinking parties and/or less people will buy it.

What if one adult person in the stateroom purchased the drink package and the other person in the stateroom opted out because they said they were a recovering alcoholic. Wonder what RCI would do if that person who claimed they were a recovering alcohic and then used their free 3 drink vouchers to get alcoholic drinks!