Changing from suit and tie to casual wear after dining in MDR on Formal Night? Do you

Kingofcool1947

I was referring to the comments about removing their jackets in the MDR because they are uncomfortable eating in a suit jacket.

Oh.

Yea, most guys do remove their jackets in the DR.

To me it's the strangest thing to eat dinner with a jacket on.

Why bother to pack & lug a coat only to wear it for 1 1/2 hours while eating? Something about it just doesn't seem normal but it does make some on them happy to pretend.

Oh.

Why bother to pack & lug a coat only to wear it for 1 1/2 hours while eating? Something about it just doesn't seem normal but it does make some on them happy to pretend.

Why bother to pack & lug a coat only to wear it for five minutes while walking to the table? If the jackets hanging on the back of chairs in the MDR creates some special "ambiance', why not buy chairs with sewn in jacket sleeves? Then every night would be formal night and these stupid formal wear threads would go away.

The height of absurdity happened a couple of years ago on RCI. They ran out of jackets on Anthem to give to gentlemen without jackets of their own to wear in their 'formal only' dining room. The wait staff responded to this crisis by giving those gentlemen a jacket to carry over their arm while walking to their table. The waitstaff then took the jacket from the gentlemen so that others could also have a jacket to carry to their table. My suggestion was the matre'd could accomplish the same by simply carry a jacket around the dining room on a stick and waving it at every table. The formal wear crowd didn't find that amusing.

Why bother to pack & lug a coat only to wear it for five minutes while walking to the table? If the jackets hanging on the back of chairs in the MDR creates some special "ambiance', why not buy chairs with sewn in jacket sleeves? Then every night would be formal night and these stupid formal wear threads would go away.

The height of absurdity happened a couple of years ago on RCI. They ran out of jackets on Anthem to give to gentlemen without jackets of their own to wear in their 'formal only' dining room. The wait staff responded to this crisis by giving those gentlemen a jacket to carry over their arm while walking to their table. The waitstaff then took the jacket from the gentlemen so that others could also have a jacket to carry to their table. My suggestion was the matre'd could accomplish the same by simply carry a jacket around the dining room on a stick and waving it at every table. The formal wear crowd didn't find that amusing.

If I didn't know better it's sounds like a made up story. LOL :D;);)

Oh.

My husband only takes a blazer anymore. He wears it on the plane so it doesn't have to be packed; usually the stewardess will hang it if he wants, or her has laid it on top on our carryon. One less thing to pack in checked bags.

I would comply to peer pressure, bring and wear dark suit to formals. MDR are usually too warm for me, so jackef off during dinner. After dinner, get change and enjoy on board entertainment. I was a pencil pusher all my life, to me suits and ties were "uniforms"... And bears no personal enjoyment.

Frank & Annette using CC Forums mobile app

I like being dressed up- my wife likes me dressed up. The dress code is for the night.

For you, the clothing recommendations may be for the night, but just to dispel any misunderstandings, on Princess the formal recommendations/requests apply only to the main dining rooms and nowhere else on board. Of course anyone is welcome to be formally dressed anywhere anytime, but not part of the policy.

My husband only takes a blazer anymore. He wears it on the plane so it doesn't have to be packed; usually the stewardess will hang it if he wants, or her has laid it on top on our carryon. One less thing to pack in checked bags.

Yes, when I take a jacket, I wear it on the plane. Always leaving from cold weather so it helps that way. Then fold or hang on the plane. But it does get packed for check-in and embarkation as that is shorts and t-shirt dress for me.

I would comply to peer pressure, bring and wear dark suit to formals. MDR are usually too warm for me, so jackef off during dinner. After dinner, get change and enjoy on board entertainment. I was a pencil pusher all my life, to me suits and ties were "uniforms"... And bears no personal enjoyment.

Frank & Annette using CC Forums mobile app

If you want to get technical, there is no "peer pressure", just some on these threads. If your peers are your fellow cruisers, some believe in dress-to-the-max while others prefer smart casual all nights. Go with what you and your wife are going to be comfortable with and don't worry about the rest of us. There will be others more dressed and less dressed than you, no doubt.

So, how many years ago was that? :)

IDK what "White Night" is relative to Princess, but I would have to see documented picture-proof that a passenger was seated in the DR on a formal night - or any other night for that matter - in a bathrobe.

Ok, well it was on White Night....you were supposed to wear white. A whole table full of 8 came into the dining room in the white robes from their cabin!!! I wouldn't give in to their attention grabbing attitude by taking their picture, but trust me, they were in their robes and sat through the entire dinner service in their robes. Everyone was laughing at them.

Surely you are not saying that I am making this up?:o

LOL! Very funny!! :')

Isn't it just great that the only way people can make a point is to insult others.

It's so funny reading your incredibly inane remarks! Where in that post did I insult "anyone" in particular?? Of course, since you feel it's you I'm insulting, by all means please keep it up! It just shows the other pax the type of person you are.. All my love to ya!

Edited by keithm
more fun

You know what the simple answer to this is?? Most ships have multiple dining rooms, right? Make one "Formal Only". You don't meet the code, you don't get in, period. Same thing for casual. If it's casual dress only, no admittance if you're "over dressed". Whole thing just fades away!

You know what the simple answer to this is?? Most ships have multiple dining rooms, right? Make one "Formal Only". You don't meet the code, you don't get in, period. Same thing for casual. If it's casual dress only, no admittance if you're "over dressed". Whole thing just fades away!

That has been suggested multiple times and usually rejected by those who like formal nights. Some say it would ruin the ambiance or it would be too complicated or too confusing. Perhaps some in a party or at a table would want to do formal and others would not. One said that if there was a choice, then it would cause dissension in their group. It might also settle the argument over the popularity of formal nights.

You could also designate late traditional as the sitting that observes formal nights. Many options are possible. I believe that a compromise like that is the best way to preserve formal nights..

By the way, that story about the jackets was on Anthem when they had the Dynamic Dining where one dining room was always formal. There were four dining rooms. One was always formal and the others always casual. You rotated through the four dining rooms so every fourth night was formal. Your formal night depending upon the sequence. You might have only one formal night or two at most on a seven day cruise.

Ok, well it was on White Night....you were supposed to wear white. A whole table full of 8 came into the dining room in the white robes from their cabin!!! I wouldn't give in to their attention grabbing attitude by taking their picture, but trust me, they were in their robes and sat through the entire dinner service in their robes. Everyone was laughing at them.

Surely you are not saying that I am making this up?:o

No, I believe you. I didn't realize from the first post that the White Night and robes were connected. Never heard of this theme on Princess for dinner. Maybe those folks thought it was a fun night of some sort like those old toga parties. Anyway, thank goodness it was an exception case and not the rule. Hope they had something on under the robes. :eek: