Changing from suit and tie to casual wear after dining in MDR on Formal Night? Do you

Kingofcool1947

I have a friend who has been on a HAL cruise for naturists. They are required to wear clothes in the MDR so sitting on the napkin is not required. He has a picture of the group he was with taken on the lido deck in all their magnificent glory. Clothes must also be worn while boarding and leaving the ship. The crew is fully clothed per usual.

We were actually next to a ship in port and they were with no clothes! My husband said that woman is in the dining room with no top on. I thought he was kidding. Not the case.

Well, that would definitely cut down on luggage! At this point, not willing to go without clothes!

I have been asked by my DW to dress up and wear a suit and tie when dining in the MDR on Formal Night on our next cruise. 15 day Panama Canal Cruise Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco. It’s been years since I’ve worn a suit and tie to dinner in MDR on Formal Night. On recent cruises, I’ve worn a Guayabera shirt for dining in the MDR on Formal Night. But pressure to wear a suit and tie prevails. :( FWIW, I just feel more comfortable dining without wearing a suit and tie. That’s just me, YMMV. :)

So my question is: Do many of you change out of your suit and tie after dinner in MDR on Formal Night to casual wear to enjoy the entertainment and walking around the ship? Is it appropriate to change into a tee shirt and shorts?

I will be sailing on the Coral next week for 15 day Panama Canal cruise. I anticipate it will be very warm weather to wear a suit and tie all evening.

Thanks for guidance re: after dinner Formal Night dress rules.

Hope you're enjoying your cruise. I stay in my tux for the duration of the evening.....:):):)

Bob

We were actually next to a ship in port and they were with no clothes! My husband said that woman is in the dining room with no top on. I thought he was kidding. Not the case.

Well, that would definitely cut down on luggage! At this point, not willing to go without clothes!

My Travel Itineraries for 3 cruise bookings B2B2B all state 0 formal nights and 0 smart casual nights. It's either anything goes or perhaps I booked a nudist voyage and didn't know it. :eek:

(I confess that these are "logical voyages" and form a 60-night cruise which originally listed 5 formal and 55 smart casual - I can live with that, especially when 1 will likely be knocked off the list on 2nd night out).

My Travel Itineraries for 3 cruise bookings B2B2B all state 0 formal nights and 0 smart casual nights. It's either anything goes or perhaps I booked a nudist voyage and didn't know it. :eek:

(I confess that these are "logical voyages" and form a 60-night cruise which originally listed 5 formal and 55 smart casual - I can live with that, especially when 1 will likely be knocked off the list on 2nd night out).

Or maybe Princess has dropped its dress code.:cool: To get in line with Celebrity.

Apparently not seeing as he posted he hasn't done it for years in the MDR on formal night

One would have thought the Princess Dress Code Police would have got him at the MDR Door over the years. Once they were proactive.:evilsmile: But rarely these days. I think they have given up and don't want confrontation.

Waiting to disembark the Regal Princess right now. There was no enforcement in the MDR on both formal nights. Guess the Jan Swartz reply to a poster did not get down to the staff of this ship. Ate every night in the MDR with no clothing problems seen. Basically it looks like page 16 no longer applies.

What happens if you go to a wedding or funeral?

While people in SW Florida do own suite & jackets, you hardly see them being worn. Maybe to very formal functions that we don't attend but wedding & yes even funerals are dress down in this section of the country.

In our church some people do wear suit jackets but are outnumbered by those in casual dress with many in shorts almost year round.

I have been asked by my DW to dress up and wear a suit and tie when dining in the MDR on Formal Night on our next cruise. 15 day Panama Canal Cruise Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco. It’s been years since I’ve worn a suit and tie to dinner in MDR on Formal Night. On recent cruises, I’ve worn a Guayabera shirt for dining in the MDR on Formal Night. But pressure to wear a suit and tie prevails. :( FWIW, I just feel more comfortable dining without wearing a suit and tie. That’s just me, YMMV. :)

So my question is: Do many of you change out of your suit and tie after dinner in MDR on Formal Night to casual wear to enjoy the entertainment and walking around the ship? Is it appropriate to change into a tee shirt and shorts?

I will be sailing on the Coral next week for 15 day Panama Canal cruise. I anticipate it will be very warm weather to wear a suit and tie all evening.

Thanks for guidance re: after dinner Formal Night dress rules.

I take a black sport coat, black slacks and 1 black bow tie. On cruises that have a formal night, those items, with a white shirt have, drawn compliments on my “tux.” No one even notices the brass buttons on the sport coat. Stuff the bow tie in a pocket and you have dressed down for the evening without even having to return to the stateroom. Remove the sport coat, and the white shirt and black slacks go on an excursion or anywhere else. I will say, however, the I enjoy dressing up a bit occasionally for dinner. The bottom line, though, is for you to do what makes YOU comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Then 'policy' or 'code' perhaps. Whatever they call it, if they are not going to enforce it, get rid of it !!!:evilsmile:

They are "recommendations" and a "request" - no reason to get rid of them IMO. Also, they do explicitly list items that are not allowed and those are generally enforced (no shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, etc). The present situation probably helps keep a certain standard for dinner. I am fine with it, except for all the haranguing that sometimes goes on here.

Agree with Carolinius just above... do what make you comfortable (y)

Edited by steelers36

While people in SW Florida do own suite & jackets, you hardly see them being worn. Maybe to very formal functions that we don't attend but wedding & yes even funerals are dress down in this section of the country.

In our church some people do wear suit jackets but are outnumbered by those in casual dress with many in shorts almost year round.

It's the same here in Nebraska. Our church is very casual, including shorts and tank tops in summer, jeans in winter. Sometimes my husband does wear a sport jacket, usually not. Suits are not necessarily worn even at funerals or weddings; although you will see some you will also see jeans and I have even seen 'nice' shorts at a summer wedding. Women tend to dress up a bit more, but long dresses or even cocktail dresses are rare.

So happy I put floridalover on ignore - I understand that when he dies he wants to be shown and buried in Florida formal - flip flops, shorts, tee shirt and baseball cap

I heard on CC that your wife wants to have you stuffed & propped up in the living room when you go.

(in your tux I'll bet):D

Any answer from Jan yet.

But wait... you can't see my comments. :eek:

To bad because we're all waiting. :)

See you in March on formal night in the DR.

I heard on CC that your wife wants to have you stuffed & propped up in the living room when you go.

(in your tux I'll bet):D

Any answer from Jan yet.

But wait... you can't see my comments. :eek:

To bad because we're all waiting. :)

See you in March on formal night in the DR.

I don't like to go the formal route either, but can't we be civil?