Changing from suit and tie to casual wear after dining in MDR on Formal Night? Do you

Kingofcool1947

You may want to prepare yourself for the rocks about to be thrown your way. I made this suggestion the other day "don't dress up and eat somewhere else" and was chastised over and over for telling others what to do. Good luck!

Yeah, it's that same clown on this site. Any site that mentions "formal" & he crawls up out of his dank basement to condemn those who like to dress up. He loves saying you can't TELL others how to dress, but loves TELLING you that! A complete jerk!

Just go to YouTube. You get a very good example of how pax dress.

I know how people dress after dinner in the show lounge on a formal night. There's no need for me to see how someone else perceives it to be.

People in shorts, Dockers, short sleeve T shirts, Polo shirts and yes some die hards still dressed in suits & tuxes. They look around at everyone else and wonder why they didn't do the same. ;)

I know how people dress after dinner in the show lounge on a formal night. There's no need for me to see how someone else perceives it to be.

People in shorts, Dockers, short sleeve T shirts, Polo shirts and yes some die hards still dressed in suits & tuxes. They look around at everyone else and wonder why they didn't do the same. ;)

We must be looking at different videos. Plenty of pax dressed nicely.

We must be looking at different videos. Plenty of pax dressed nicely.

Hi Keithm,

You can’t reason with someone who thinks he looks good. When he keeps his best dress clothes in the trunk of his car around the spare tire to keep it clean. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tony

Yeah, it's that same clown on this site. Any site that mentions "formal" & he crawls up out of his dank basement to condemn those who like to dress up. He loves saying you can't TELL others how to dress, but loves TELLING you that! A complete jerk!

LOL ;p

I really don't give a flip how people dress in the MDR.....I have seen everything from ball gowns and tuxes to bib overalls and terry cloth robes, yes robes (on White Night)!

They still say it is "formal night" and I don't want to dress formally....I go to a specialty restaurant.

Many of the other cruiselines have gone to "chic casual" or "dress up or not" or something to that effect.... may be time for Princess to do the same?

Hi Keithm,

You can’t reason with someone who thinks he looks good. When he keeps his best dress clothes in the trunk of his car around the spare tire to keep it clean. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tony

LOL! Always love your responses!

I have been asked by my DW to dress up and wear a suit and tie when dining in the MDR on Formal Night on our next cruise. 15 day Panama Canal Cruise Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco. It’s been years since I’ve worn a suit and tie to dinner in MDR on Formal Night. On recent cruises, I’ve worn a Guayabera shirt for dining in the MDR on Formal Night. But pressure to wear a suit and tie prevails. :( FWIW, I just feel more comfortable dining without wearing a suit and tie. That’s just me, YMMV. :)

So my question is: Do many of you change out of your suit and tie after dinner in MDR on Formal Night to casual wear to enjoy the entertainment and walking around the ship? Is it appropriate to change into a tee shirt and shorts?

I will be sailing on the Coral next week for 15 day Panama Canal cruise. I anticipate it will be very warm weather to wear a suit and tie all evening.

Thanks for guidance re: after dinner Formal Night dress rules.

Many men (women also) will change after the formal dinner in the MDR a few will remain in their finery. Certainly everyone is free to do whichever they choose since the only requirement is in the MDR. Interesting that you have worn a Guayabera shirt in the past as I switched to the same shirt several years ago. It is so comfortable.

It has been said many times before but the concept of a formal night on a mass market cruise line is a relic of the past. CCL has an elegant night where one can wear formal or casual. The few cruises I have done on CCL I have seen the full breadth of clothing with most though being in casual clothes. With Princess not really trying to enforce their "dress code" it is becoming something of a joke. They really need to "go with the flow" so to speak.

Many men (women also) will change after the formal dinner in the MDR a few will remain in their finery. Certainly everyone is free to do whichever they choose since the only requirement is in the MDR. Interesting that you have worn a Guayabera shirt in the past as I switched to the same shirt several years ago. It is so comfortable.

It has been said many times before but the concept of a formal night on a mass market cruise line is a relic of the past. CCL has an elegant night where one can wear formal or casual. The few cruises I have done on CCL I have seen the full breadth of clothing with most though being in casual clothes. With Princess not really trying to enforce their "dress code" it is becoming something of a joke. They really need to "go with the flow" so to speak.

Maybe they just don't want it too degenerate so keep the wording? IDK. I think they would have success if changed Recommendations to similar to Celebrity wording, but basically that is what is happening in the absence of change. Maybe the big wigs in Santa Clara get their jollies from all the arguing on CC about clothing.

I really don't give a flip how people dress in the MDR.....I have seen everything from ball gowns and tuxes to bib overalls and terry cloth robes, yes robes (on White Night)!

They still say it is "formal night" and I don't want to dress formally....I go to a specialty restaurant.

Many of the other cruiselines have gone to "chic casual" or "dress up or not" or something to that effect.... may be time for Princess to do the same?

I honestly don't think Princess are that strict, Back in 2014 on a PNG cruise neither of us had formal attire let alone a suit. Our waiter at the time basically said "turn up anyway" so we did, no problem what so ever. In any case I sometimes don't even take a tie and other times we are chastised by the Holden/Chevy T-Shirt crowd for going formal. It's fun and I enjoy these nights, if we are going formal we won't change until the nights entertainment is over and it's partly due to being too lazy to do so.

IDK what "White Night" is relative to Princess, but I would have to see documented picture-proof that a passenger was seated in the DR on a formal night - or any other night for that matter - in a bathrobe.

Mr. Steelers

Can I also ask a question. Under the bathrobe did this Passenger have his Batman or Superman formal suit on??

I can’t stop laughing. I have to go to the bathroom. This is just to funny :):):).

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

A tux or suit that has been properly fitted will not be uncomfortable. If, however, like me you have put on a few pounds since buying the tux/suit it can quickly become uncomfortable-- just sayin' [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's not a matter of proper fit. If one does not like wearing formal attire, one will be uncomfortable regardless of how it is tailored.

Or, then there are those who place their jackets over the back of the chair.

In the show lounge?

I don't think so unless they let it dangle on the lap of the person behind them, sit on top of it or lay it on the dirty floor with all the residue of spilled drinks.

There's not all that much room to do anything but wear it.

Princess has definitely become less formal, although most people dress nicely for the MDR. Formal nights will be anything from tuxes to just shirt and slacks, no tie.

Last year on formal night there was a guy wearing a tank top and shorts of the type that most people would wear for doing yard work; his wife was just slightly better--t shirt not tank top, so standards have obviously relaxed.

In fact, the only place I have personally seen someone turned away from a dining room (for wearing jeans, and not on formal night) was on NCL, of all cruise lines! They are thought to be soooo casual, too.

Make sure you look in the mirror when you say that. Insults all you got.

Edited by Potstech

Isn't it just great that the only way people can make a point is to insult others.

Wow... why the huge diatribe about how one just hates having to dress for a single meal.

Why the disrespect for the wife's wishes, and Princess Policy.

Some people just love to be disrespeful. They live for it.

Your viewpoint and agenda are just TOO obvious.

Anyhow, to answer your question...

You really do not have a valid question.

Policy is clear. As a frequent cruiser, you must be very familiar.

Dress guidelines are for THE MDR during supper, on formal nights.

(Which further validates my statement above about one's viewpoint and agenda)

Other than that, year your swim-boxers for all I care.

I can only hope that you don't wear a tight speedo, and then bend over right in front of me to apply your sunscreen!!!!!

Ohhhhhh, whole different topic... Sorry!!!! : )

In the show lounge?

I don't think so unless they let it dangle on the lap of the person behind them, sit on top of it or lay it on the dirty floor with all the residue of spilled drinks.

There's not all that much room to do anything but wear it.

I was referring to the comments about removing their jackets in the MDR because they are uncomfortable eating in a suit jacket.