Changing from suit and tie to casual wear after dining in MDR on Formal Night? Do you

Kingofcool1947

As I have said many times on CC, if Princess is not going to enforce their dress code on formal nights, which for men is tuxedo or dark suit and tie, then get rid of the code/policy !!.

Dress codes have really slipped on Princess since I started cruising with them in 2004.:evilsmile:

You know what the simple answer to this is?? Most ships have multiple dining rooms, right? Make one "Formal Only". You don't meet the code, you don't get in, period. Same thing for casual. If it's casual dress only, no admittance if you're "over dressed". Whole thing just fades away!

Not that people who want to dress up is bothering to me but it's been mentioned many times on this board. There would always be a few formalists who couldn't get into a formal DR who would be upset with Princess.

It's just easier to leave things the way they today.

If they would only serve the same items on formal nights at the buffet, many of the conflicts would be solved. The only thing that attracts me to the DR on formal nights is the better selections on the menu.

Not that people who want to dress up is bothering to me but it's been mentioned many times on this board. There would always be a few formalists who couldn't get into a formal DR who would be upset with Princess.

If they would only serve the same items on formal nights at the buffet, many of the conflicts would be solved. The only thing that attracts me to the DR on formal nights is the better selections on the menu.

If we had known how good the food was in the buffet, we would have eaten there more for dinner.

If we had known how good the food was in the buffet, we would have eaten there more for dinner.

Last Nov on the Royal out of 30 days I think we ate in the DR maybe 4 or 5 times. (all formal nights :D)

When you get to know the chief & his assistant personally you would be surprised at what they can do for you. ;)

No, I believe you. I didn't realize from the first post that the White Night and robes were connected. Never heard of this theme on Princess for dinner. Maybe those folks thought it was a fun night of some sort like those old toga parties. Anyway, thank goodness it was an exception case and not the rule. Hope they had something on under the robes. :eek:

HA-HA! Me too! :')

Yeah, I guess they didn't haven any other "white" to wear, so they literally came "strutting" into the MDR...at least it wasn't Formal night!! Not sure they would be able to convince the Matre 'd that they were wearing "Formal Robes"! LOL!

(It's not a big deal, wear white in the evening and then I believe there was a deck party with the White Nights theme!)

I agree on the better selections in the MDR...however on our last PC cruise our little group decided to eat in the Bayou Grill on formal night and then realized we were going to miss the escarcot. But our wonderful Matre 'd offered to bring escarcot for all of us up to Bayou! Wow! It was really great!

"No idea why people are so terribly resistant to dressing up for 75-90 minutes and why they insist on booking Princess.clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

I agree on most of your points, but not sure how being resistant to dressing up for 90 minutes and insisting on booking Princess is relevant.

We book Princess for the itinerary, the price, the culture of the ship, the trivia, etc. etc. Formal nights are just one of those things we choose to no longer participate in...it's a very small aspect of why we choose Princess.

I don't care who dresses up or who doesn't....to each his own."

"No idea why people are so terribly resistant to dressing up for 75-90 minutes and why they insist on booking Princess.clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

I agree on most of your points, but not sure how being resistant to dressing up for 90 minutes and insisting on booking Princess is relevant.

We book Princess for the itinerary, the price, the culture of the ship, the trivia, etc. etc. Formal nights are just one of those things we choose to no longer participate in...it's a very small aspect of why we choose Princess.

I don't care who dresses up or who doesn't....to each his own."

Very well-said.

We tend to prefer the buffet for one simple reason. It's quieter. We are of the age where our ability to carry on a conversation in a loud environment like the MDR. It's also less crowded, no waiting in line, and certainly no drama about who is wearing what. And, it doesn't take 90 minutes for dinner.

We also tend to enjoy the buffer more on HAL where they also serve some of the formal night menu items in the buffet as well.

We were on our way to dinner on Oosterdam last March when we were stopped by this couple who wanted to tell us that we needed to go to the MDR because it was formal night and they were serving "lobster". They also had "lobster" on the buffet that night. Another night the featured MDR entree was "Surf and Turf", ie, shrimp and steak. It too was on the buffet.

I didn’t know there’s a naked dining room.:eek::D:D.

Tony

HAL waiters have said they have had naked cruises. We said what do they do with the napkins....they sit on them. How uncomfortable to have that. Never ever thought that was possible....but there is every type of cruise. YES....I am looking at cutting luggage for 35 day cruise, but thinking of leaving a piece of luggage behind! Guess there are all kinds of specialty cruises.

Italian Night on the Royal.....See if they serve that in the DR. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

bruschetta-tomato-basil-horiz-a-1600.jpg

shrimp-bruschetta-ay-1875628-x.jpg?itok=5X7TIT_N

bruschetta-420x280.jpg

Bruchetta216.jpg

This is the type of food we started seeing on the Regal in their buffet. The only thing I did not like were the desserts. The Norman Love desserts were the exception. With his name on the line, the desserts had to be good. We're booked on Oceania this Jan. & back on Celebrity in 2019. After that, I think we'll give Princess some more business. There is plenty of time to change our minds on Celebrity if we choose to.

We tend to prefer the buffet for one simple reason. It's quieter. We are of the age where our ability to carry on a conversation in a loud environment like the MDR. It's also less crowded, no waiting in line, and certainly no drama about who is wearing what. And, it doesn't take 90 minutes for dinner.

We also tend to enjoy the buffer more on HAL where they also serve some of the formal night menu items in the buffet as well.

We were on our way to dinner on Oosterdam last March when we were stopped by this couple who wanted to tell us that we needed to go to the MDR because it was formal night and they were serving "lobster". They also had "lobster" on the buffet that night. Another night the featured MDR entree was "Surf and Turf", ie, shrimp and steak. It too was on the buffet.

I agree. If they would serve the same menu items at the buffet as in the MDRt, we would gladly forgo dining in the MDR on formal night (or any other night). But we refuse to miss the better menu items just because we don't dress in formal attire anymore. We no longer pack that extra suitcase of formal gowns/tux/shoes & accessories. It did take an entire large suitcase to hold all the garb. With the airlines' baggage fees what they are, it's just not worth it to us (not to mention having to drag along that extra suitcase). Menu items being equal, we would definitely opt to spend that 90 minutes somewhere besides the MDR.

HAL waiters have said they have had naked cruises. We said what do they do with the napkins....they sit on them. How uncomfortable to have that. Never ever thought that was possible....but there is every type of cruise. YES....I am looking at cutting luggage for 35 day cruise, but thinking of leaving a piece of luggage behind! Guess there are all kinds of specialty cruises.

I trust they would sanitize and launder the napkins then, ready for the 'normal pax' to use on the next cruise. Scary.:halo:

Now don't tell me the crew walk around like Adam and Eve? lol. Some would look nice, others would not.lol.

I would prefer to eat dinner in the Horizon Court Buffet some nights, but 'the boss lady' won't have a bar of that, brekkie, lunch, yes, fine, but not dinner. grrrrrrr.

I agree. If they would serve the same menu items at the buffet as in the MDRt, we would gladly forgo dining in the MDR on formal night (or any other night). But we refuse to miss the better menu items just because we don't dress in formal attire anymore. We no longer pack that extra suitcase of formal gowns/tux/shoes & accessories. It did take an entire large suitcase to hold all the garb. With the airlines' baggage fees what they are, it's just not worth it to us (not to mention having to drag along that extra suitcase). Menu items being equal, we would definitely opt to spend that 90 minutes somewhere besides the MDR.

The airlines are usually charging $35 for a second bag. Twice. Once going and once coming home. That's $70.

The Crown Grill is $29 PP. Two people. Two nights. Total $116.

For less than fifty bucks over the price of an extra bag, you can have dinner in the Grill, twice.

The airlines are usually charging $35 for a second bag. Twice. Once going and once coming home. That's $70.

For less than fifty bucks over the price of an extra bag, you can have dinner in the Grill, twice.

Or we could just go to the MDR like others that aren't dressed formal do, and save the $116.

I have a friend who has been on a HAL cruise for naturists. They are required to wear clothes in the MDR so sitting on the napkin is not required. He has a picture of the group he was with taken on the lido deck in all their magnificent glory. Clothes must also be worn while boarding and leaving the ship. The crew is fully clothed per usual.

This is the type of food we started seeing on the Regal in their buffet. The only thing I did not like were the desserts. The Norman Love desserts were the exception. With his name on the line, the desserts had to be good. We're booked on Oceania this Jan. & back on Celebrity in 2019. After that, I think we'll give Princess some more business. There is plenty of time to change our minds on Celebrity if we choose to.

That's why on some nights we head back to the DR for dessert latter in the night after the show. :)

We also do likewise & it depends on the menu if we'll go to the DR or not. We just can't see packing all the extras involved for formal nights & skirt the whole issue when it not a requirement.

We cruise for 14 days at a time. Only once did my bag go over 50LB. That included 3 suits as well. Suits or no suits, it all depends on how well you pack your suitcase.

We cruise for 14 days at a time. Only once did my bag go over 50LB. That included 3 suits as well. Suits or no suits, it all depends on how well you pack your suitcase.

I don't even own one suit.

Used to own several.

Gave them away when I retired.

Retirement is great.

What happens if you go to a wedding or funeral?

Seems more casual dress is the norm these days. A nice shirt & dress pants would suffice for most dress events (other than black tie)

I’ve even seen people dressed in jeans at funerals & weddings lately. Also have seen people in shorts at church on Saturday evening & Sunday. Not saying that either my husband or I would be comfortable wearing jeans or shorts to any of the 3, people are doing it and it’s accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums