Public computer usage on Hal ships

Archipelago

Without getting into technical details, you can potentially have problems trying to use their computers..or even your own computer to access a financial account (i.e credit cards, backs, brokerage). Companies are becoming more cautious about security and just using a strange IP address (this would happen from any computer on a ship) can cause an issue. Combine this with a strange (not your normal computer) and it magnifies the potential problem. More and more financial institutions are going to a 2 phased log-on (in this type of situation) which might require you to input a code that you would normally received on your cell phone (which likely is not working at sea) or at your registered e-mail account.

Hank

I would simply pay the bills in advance...surely a call to whoever needs to be paid won't take that long! That's what we do when we will be gone for extended periods! For credit cards, you can simply send an "overpayment", and any charges will be debited from that. Of course, that only works if you pay off your bill monthly.

I have no problem accessing my banking/credit card data on my Ipad or on a ship's computer.

I have security question set up and if they sense a different IP, they just ask them.

I do set up automated payments as was suggested but like anyone travelling for any length of time I like to check my bank accounts and credit cards to make sure nothing untoward has happened.

If you are using the ship's computer though, delete your cookies first / history and then log out. I might be using the wrong terminology, but I think you get my drift.

I would simply pay the bills in advance...surely a call to whoever needs to be paid won't take that long! That's what we do when we will be gone for extended periods! For credit cards, you can simply send an "overpayment", and any charges will be debited from that. Of course, that only works if you pay off your bill monthly.

I agree and I was just going to post a similar statement. If you don't have bills on some kind of auto pay from your account, just pay those affected bills in advance, overestimating the amounts if need be. I know it may seem old fashioned to some folks, but that's what we do when we are going to be away for 10 days or so.

I also agree with the other poster that said signing in on a strange computer sends up flags and they want to send a code to your cell phone now, which may not be possible. I don't know what people do when they will be away for long cruises like 30 days or so. Perhaps those cruisers can share their tips for handling financial matters at sea.

I do not use any public computers or connections to public networks to do financial transactions and that includes HAL internet service. When in US ports on a cruise, I use the tether/hotspot feature of my smartphone to complete any financial transactions.

We travel with a Verizon WIFI JetPack that provides worldwide service for a small fee. It has provided coverage all around the United States, Europe, Mexico, Canada, and we trust it will provide service next year in Australia and New Zealand. For overseas use, you only need to be in a port or close to a coastline where it can catch coverage from shore.

I have never tried to use it through a cruise lines's ship mounted system.

About 20 years when we were doing 4 or 5 cruises -- gone over 120 days a year, I set up a separate checking account to have all bills paid automatically.

I just make certain that I transfer enough money to keep things going smoothly all the time.

Big relief -- no worry about computers or phones, etc.

Thanks for the advice from all. I think either paying in advance or auto pay is the way to go and not have to worry about it. I can set it up in advance to pay the statement balance Thanks ! I pay the balance due monthly and it will be easy to do .

Thanks for the advice from all. I think either paying in advance or auto pay is the way to go and not have to worry about it. I can set it up in advance to pay the statement balance Thanks ! I pay the balance due monthly and it will be easy to do .

I've never see an CC Acount that could not set up the amount to be paid or the date. Unless your going to be gone for a long time, in which case your future balances are unknown then this would be the way to go. Generally even overseas I always have at least my Smart Phone, if not a computer too, and that has all my banking apps on it so I can always get to my accounts if needed. As I have world wide phone access (thanks T-Mobile), I can always turn my phone into a hot-spot and access accounts through my computer that way too. Having this feature has allowed me to reduce my Internet Time minutes purchased on cruises. I don't need as much. I compile the travel reports offline and blast them out in the morning before we disembark, or in the evening before sail away.

Gotta love T-Mobile for that. World Wide Data access comes as part of my monthly billing. While its only 2G Speeds (at times) it works great. Even when we in the far southern reaches of Chile!

We travel overseas up to 5-6 months at a time and have our credit cards and other bills paid automatically. Pre paying would not work in our case since we are gone so long.

When on wifi on shore we check the cards to make sure the charges are ours and check the bank account. We do email and Facebook at the same time.

We have used wifi at libraries, restaurants and bars (and hotels when staying on land) with no issues all over the world. We only use wifi that has a password and of course our accounts have passwords and security questions and codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When on wifi on shore we check the cards to make sure the charges are ours and check the bank account. ... We have used wifi at libraries, restaurants and bars (and hotels when staying on land) with no issues all over the world. We only use wifi that has a password and of course our accounts have passwords and security questions and codes.
IMO it is more dangerous to use wifi on land in public places than it is on the ship. In public places someone nearby with a keystroke sniffer can detect and record your account numbers, passwords, and security codes and replies as you enter them. If you are using a public computer it may have a keystroke logger installed. On the ship this is less likely to happen IMO.

HAL's onboard internet is satellite delivered to Carnival Corps headquarters in Miami. If you do a search while connected to HAL's internet on "What's my IP", you will see that it is an IP address from Carnival Corp in Miami. Usually banks and credit card companies do not start getting curious if your originating IP address is from the US. That is what I have experienced sailing through the Mediterranean and trans-Atlantic.

IMO it is more dangerous to use wifi on land in public places than it is on the ship. In public places someone nearby with a keystroke sniffer can detect and record your account numbers, passwords, and security codes and replies as you enter them. If you are using a public computer it may have a keystroke logger installed. On the ship this is less likely to happen IMO.

As kazu said: If you are using the ship's computer though, delete your cookies first / history and then log out. I might be using the wrong terminology, but I think you get my drift.

This is important to do. Someone who knows how to do it can use a previous login to get into your internet account on the ship computers.

As kazu said: If you are using the ship's computer though, delete your cookies first / history and then log out. I might be using the wrong terminology, but I think you get my drift.

This is important to do. Someone who knows how to do it can use a previous login to get into your internet account on the ship computers.

Is it possible to use an incognito window (aka InPrivate Browsing) on the ship's computers to prevent cookies and history from being saved? (I've never tried it ... I've been using my own netbook for 7 years.)

We use our phones rather than public computers. Maybe we have been lucky but as I said we’ve done this many times all over the world and never had an issue. Have you personally had an experience where someone stole your information when you were using password protected WiFi?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We use our phones rather than public computers.
Okay, that's a different situation from using a public computer or your own laptop/tablet in a public place.

Have you personally had an experience where someone stole your information when you were using password protected WiFi?
Personally, no. But I know it has been done.

Is it possible to use an incognito window (aka InPrivate Browsing) on the ship's computers to prevent cookies and history from being saved? (I've never tried it ... I've been using my own netbook for 7 years.)

I have no idea. My IT nephew explained how someone could have used 47 minutes of my internet package last trip. All I know is that when I logged out, successfully, according to the screen I got, I had 250 minutes and when I logged back in I only had 203. And, judging from the way the internet manager treated me, I was a hardened criminal who was about to be arrested and needed an attorney.

I have no idea. My IT nephew explained how someone could have used 47 minutes of my internet package last trip. All I know is that when I logged out, successfully, according to the screen I got, I had 250 minutes and when I logged back in I only had 203. And, judging from the way the internet manager treated me, I was a hardened criminal who was about to be arrested and needed an attorney.

Debbie, if you are using a device other than the HAL computer, (I usually use my Ipad). One trick I learned from Scrapnana was to take a screen shot when I log out showing how many minutes I have left.

If you are using a HAL computer/laptop, and have a smart phone, etc., you can always snap a pic too.

Sad that the internet manager treated you like that.

Debbie, if you are using a device other than the HAL computer, (I usually use my Ipad). One trick I learned from Scrapnana was to take a screen shot when I log out showing how many minutes I have left.

If you are using a HAL computer/laptop, and have a smart phone, etc., you can always snap a pic too.

Well, that will help you remember, but it won't really prove anything to the internet manager because s/he can simply claim that it's an old picture, and you used time after that.

Well, that will help you remember, but it won't really prove anything to the internet manager because s/he can simply claim that it's an old picture, and you used time after that.

You are right of course...they could but...

If I have 20 screen shots on my ipad showing I have kept track and if the Front Desk/Concierge (no Internet Manager on my last cruise) wants to call me a liar, look out. Kazu is NOT a liar and if she has to fight, she will.

Actually I lost a few minutes last cruise. Log out was not working properly apparently, even though it said I had logged out. I would go back to check a few minutes later (better safe than sorry) after each log out and on one I lost about 20 minutes. I went straight away, showed the screen shot - explained and was given back my minutes.