Feedback from recent attempts to board NCL with a drone

goaliedb

I've searched, and I know NCL pretty much has a no tolerance for bringing drones aboard.

Has anyone had any success getting their drone onboard? Sounds like there may have some give and take over the past couple of years but in searching this and other forums, I havent seen any recent comments on success or failure.

We will be sailing the POA in July and I want to take my drone so bad. I'm a responsible Part 107 licensed pilot with no intentions of sailing on or from the ship or anywhere near the ship when we dock. I have never flown over crowds, or my local neighborhood. And I'm not going to start on a cruise, It's HI. There's much better scenery. I want to take it elsewhere. I have no problem bringing it on, checking it, and taking it me with meveve when we dock. In fact, I would prefer that so I would not give in to peer pressure of taking for a quick flight from deck 14.

Too bad they appear to be such a stiff shirt. NCL is my favorite cruise line. At least Carnival seems a little more cooperative.

Thanks

Edited by goaliedb
changed "so I would give into peer pressure" to "so I would not give into peer pressure"

Some people in our group last month on the Jade had a drone. I don't know what kind exactly, but not a huge one. I doubt they checked with NCL beforehand about this, but they had no problems getting it on board and taking it ashore at every port. Many tourist sites now have signs up saying "no drones", and of course they respected that, but I don't think they got any kind of flack from the ship. I never saw them flying it on board the ship, but I didn't ask them about that, either.

I asked security on board the Escape when I came back from a port. They said if I brought it I would need to check it in with them and then could get it back each time I left the ship. This was June of this year

The only issue I could see it getting it past port security when I first board the ship. Atleast to me I would be scared if they grab it at x-ray would it actually make it on board the ship

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I asked security on board the Escape when I came back from a port. They said if I brought it I would need to check it in with them and then could get it back each time I left the ship. This was June of this year

The only issue I could see it getting it past port security when I first board the ship. Atleast to me I would be scared if they grab it at x-ray would it actually make it on board the ship

We were on a cruise last year out of Miami with and aft cabin and watched a drone being used by someone around us, next we see it crash into the water. While I don't know for sure but it looked like it was out of reach, thus lost it's connection.

If it was a good one losing signal does cause it to crash. Mine records a home point and if if loses signal it will fly up to a certain height preset by me and fly home and land or atleast until it makes contact with the controller when I can cancel the return to home.

Never had to use that though because it has a 4 mile range

I've searched, and I know NCL pretty much has a no tolerance for bringing drones aboard.

Thats not 100% correct, I know a handful of people who have brought drones on. They will check them into a room and you can have it when you get off at a part, come back on and security gets it again

Has anyone had any success getting their drone onboard? Sounds like there may have some give and take over the past couple of years but in searching this and other forums, I havent seen any recent comments on success or failure.

We will be sailing the POA in July and I want to take my drone so bad. I'm a responsible Part 107 licensed pilot with no intentions of sailing on or from the ship or anywhere near the ship when we dock. I have never flown over crowds, or my local neighborhood. And I'm not going to start on a cruise, It's HI. There's much better scenery. I want to take it elsewhere. I have no problem bringing it on, checking it, and taking it me with meveve when we dock. In fact, I would prefer that so I would not give in to peer pressure of taking for a quick flight from deck 14.

Check YT their are plenty of videos from people who have taken their drone on ships

Too bad they appear to be such a stiff shirt. NCL is my favorite cruise line. At least Carnival seems a little more cooperative.

Thanks

A friend of mine took her drone to Bermuda twice this year, once on the BA and once on the Dawn, no issues at all

I plan on taking my Mavic Pro with me on our 14 day cruise in February

• 2 months later...
I just read another thread about this. I want to go on NCL sooo bad, but no drone is a deal breaker for me.

Here is a drone video I put together from a cruise we got back from a couple weeks ago.

[YOUTUBE]qHmvIkBWutg[/YOUTUBE]

I was in the "leave your drone at home" camp until I saw that video. That's really cool.

Other issues with the drones are use in and near airports and foreign country port authorities regulations.

In addition someone operating the drone with limited skills crashing it into the ships navigation system or

more importantly personal injury to the cruising public or crew.

I must admit that the videos are outstanding and NCL as well as other cruise lines should look into making

a video of their ships from overhead and marketing it as a DVD in a gift shop.

I believe it is one of the RCCL ships that has a crane and gondola that has impressive views from a top of

the ship.

In todays day and age - NICE TOY but don't let a terrorist get one onto a ship or near one - as in the game

of horseshoes - close enough is good enough for significant damage.

...In todays day and age - NICE TOY but don't let a terrorist get one onto a ship or near one - as in the game

If they wanted to do this, all the rules in the world are not going to keep it from happening. They do not need to board the ship or be a passenger to do anything like this.

If they wanted to do this, all the rules in the world are not going to keep it from happening. They do not need to board the ship or be a passenger to do anything like this.

Point I made originally:

one onto a ship or near one - as in the game

Most drones are very light weight and can not carry a lot so in most cases cannot do much damage. True they can fly high but there is what is known as terminal velocity and at a point the height really does not matter because gravity can only make an item fall so fast. If a terrorist wanted to do something like that they could do more harm throwing things from the top deck of a ship. Most things will hit terminal velocity is less then 100 feet.

Those who are afraid of bombs I am sure a terrorist could do more damage without a drone.

I don't think that the NCL policy has anything to do with terrorism. :rolleyes:

It's probably more about drunken "..hey, watch this.." moments with idiot pilots.

Drone users who abide by the rules aren't the problem. Unfortunately, those who don't abide by the rules are the reason that drones aren't allowed.

• 1 month later...