What determines dinning room levels

atwork630

The time before last on the Navigator out of Galveston we booked the panoramic window room. We sat on the top floor of the main dinning room. The last time on the Liberty we had a window room and sat on the bottom floor. What determines where you sit in the main dinning room? On the liberty we had my time dinning. I don't know what was booked on the Navigator. I booked another Panoramic room and Hoping to be eating on the top floor again.

The time before last on the Navigator out of Galveston we booked the panoramic window room. We sat on the top floor of the main dinning room. The last time on the Liberty we had a window room and sat on the bottom floor. What determines where you sit in the main dinning room? On the liberty we had my time dinning. I don't know what was booked on the Navigator. I booked another Panoramic room and Hoping to be eating on the top floor again.

If you are assigned to traditional dining, you can make your dining preference request to rcldining@rccl.com about 3 weeks before the cruise.

I think it can depend what the proportion of Traditional to My Time Dining the ship has. We were on Explorer recently, and deck 3 (the largest one) was MTD and decks 4 & 5 were traditional. They also used deck 3 for breakfast, and when applicable, lunch. If they are doing two decks for your type of dining you may be able to ask to be changed. Otherwise, nothing you could do short of changing the type of dining (traditional vs. MTD).

I don't believe the type of room you're staying in has any effect on your assigned level of dining room. On Liberty the large 3rd level is for MTD and the upper floors are all traditional. So, everyone with MTD be on level 3.

... I don't know what was booked on the Navigator. I booked another Panoramic room and Hoping to be eating on the top floor again.

Stateroom category does not affect your dining room table assignment.

On the Feb. cruise on the Navigator the upper portion of the MDR was for MTD and the lower was for traditional dining.

Stateroom category has NO bearing on the dining room assignments. We enjoy tablemates, and are generally seated at a BIG table, with at least 3-4 couples...who are all in different category cabins, from inside rooms, to suites. If you have a higher status (Diamond, etc...) you may be able to request something different that your assignment, but I've never seen a "caste" system in the dining room!

I agree that stateroom has no bearing on your dining room location. It's much like doing a seating chart for a wedding. They need to figure out where people "fit," based on the table size they've requested, staff availability and expertise, etc. Often, they also try to seat you with people in your same age range as well. Honestly, I've never paid attention to what level I've been on.

If you are assigned to traditional dining, you can make your dining preference request to rcldining@rccl.com about 3 weeks before the cruise.

This has worked well for us. We've even had someone send us a chart showing where our table would be. That only happened once. But, they have been very responsive to a request for a table by the window or wherever else we wanted to be.

I agree that stateroom has no bearing on your dining room location. It's much like doing a seating chart for a wedding. They need to figure out where people "fit," based on the table size they've requested, staff availability and expertise, etc. Often, they also try to seat you with people in your same age range as well. Honestly, I've never paid attention to what level I've been on.

The wedding reception analogy is one I use as well. And anyone who has done that knows at the end, you run out of options and stick the last few people wherever you can. Traditional dining use to be the biggest number of people and usually had the main floor. My Freedom and Adventure cruises the MTD was on the main floor. Both times we had the next floor up with a nice view of the main floor. The only problem with that was anytime something happened on the main floor people rushed to stand around our table and watch. Very awkward.

Never thought about it before, but from what I'm reading here, I can actually put in a request beforehand? You know what I would LOVE? A table that I don't have to crawl over other diners to get to... :D

I understand that feeling. That is one reason we usually scout out our table ahead of time so we can see the route to get there and we try to get to dinner right as it starts so we don't have to walk around too many people.

• 2 months later...

From what I think I have figured out is the bottom floor is for anytime dining. We opted for the 8:00 and was seated on the 3rd floor, same table every night. It was perfect. Booked again for September and set up the 8:00 dinner again.

From what I think I have figured out is the bottom floor is for anytime dining. We opted for the 8:00 and was seated on the 3rd floor, same table every night. It was perfect. Booked again for September and set up the 8:00 dinner again.

The floors that they assign for traditional or MTD could change before then.

FYI - you can request a preference but it is not always accepted. We emailed the above address a few weeks back for our upcoming Harmony cruise (on Jan 27)....we requested Deck 4 of MDR along railing looking down onto main floor. They would NOT accommodate that floor or location as decks 4 & 5 were for "My Time Dining" ONLY. We had requested early dining so they explained that we could only be on Deck 3 for the 'set time' dining folks. But they gave/ promised us a wonderful 'window' table on the main floor. So we shall wait and see next week!!

FYI - you can request a preference but it is not always accepted. We emailed the above address a few weeks back for our upcoming Harmony cruise (on Jan 27)....we requested Deck 4 of MDR along railing looking down onto main floor. They would NOT accommodate that floor or location as decks 4 & 5 were for "My Time Dining" ONLY. We had requested early dining so they explained that we could only be on Deck 3 for the 'set time' dining folks. But they gave/ promised us a wonderful 'window' table on the main floor. So we shall wait and see next week!!

Makes sense, if you have traditional dining, they can only put you in areas that are set aside for traditional dining.