Any experience carrying drone onboard?

Meanee

Did you not read the thread? I want to bring a drone to port with me, on shore excursions. For some stupid reason, people immediately jump to conclusion I will be flying it around the ship, and so on.

I think people jump to the conclusion that you will be flying it around the ship and so on because of your attitude that your right to fly your drone trumps everyone else's right to peace, tranquility and privacy.

Did you not read the thread? I want to bring a drone to port with me, on shore excursions. For some stupid reason, people immediately jump to conclusion I will be flying it around the ship, and so on.

Also, most drones have pretty low-def cameras with wide angle lens and crappy white balance. Even if I flown right up to your window, it won't capture anything inside. Yet people see it as a huge privacy invasion. They are just as invasive as someone driving down the road.

Now why would I read a thread in which I have already posted? :rolleyes:

I was responding to the post I quoted. Seriously asking about where people could expect privacy and where they could not. Apparently my questions were presumed to be an attack, which was not the way they were intended. Feeling under fire much? :)

Drones have a wide range of cameras and lens systems. That is immaterial to the expectation of privacy. Just because a bank robber uses a fake gun does not mean it isn't armed robbery.

Someone driving down a road cannot see into a fenced back yard. Or an eighth deck balcony.

I think people jump to the conclusion that you will be flying it around the ship and so on because of your attitude that your right to fly your drone trumps everyone else's right to peace, tranquility and privacy.

A drone would work perfect in the MDR to analyze the butter situation and request a preferred table:cool:

I can't imagine a small drone flying high above a port as being anything close to as irritating as the ship's photographers creating foot traffic jambs at the gangways, elevator lobbies, atrium stairways, and photo gallery area; or that segment of the passengers who block passageways and stairs while they take turns taking photos of each other singly then in groups. Those inconsiderate actions cause more wasting of other peoples' time than a drone would.

Now with that being said, if I see a drone with a camera hovering very low over my back yard, I will be sure they get a great photo of the muzzle of my shot-gun.

One should check the laws of foreign countries in respect to flying drones. One doesn't want to spend time in a foreign jail.

I checked. There are 3 ports in the itinerary, two allow drones, one does not.

Also, yeah, my right to fly a drone trumps your right to privacy if you are in a public space. For example, if I am on a bike trail, and drone is following me, it may snap a picture of you if you are in the frame. That's not a violation of privacy since it's a public place.

Or if I am taking a scenery shot from 300 feet and it happens to capture your house.

But yeah, if I swoop down to like 20 feet above the yard, I can see how it can be a problem. However, in USA, if you shoot it down, it's a felony.

A drone would work perfect in the MDR to analyze the butter situation and request a preferred table:cool:

Voljeep - brilliant. I have just had a vision of the future - use the Ocean Medallion to order more butter which is then delivered to your table by drone.😂

I guess you all haven't heard the latest news. Amazon has just announced a joint pilot project with Princess to develop direct drone delivery to cruise ship passengers. An Amazon spokesperson said the company was "very excited at the prospects of reaching customers who otherwise have to refrain from using Amazon while on vacation." A Princess spokesperson indicated that the project would exploit its unique Ocean Medallion technology.

;)

I guess you all haven't heard the latest news. Amazon has just announced a joint pilot project with Princess to develop direct drone delivery to cruise ship passengers. An Amazon spokesperson said the company was "very excited at the prospects of reaching customers who otherwise have to refrain from using Amazon while on vacation." A Princess spokesperson indicated that the project would exploit its unique Ocean Medallion technology.

;)

That's all very well, but won't the butter have melted before it gets there? Also, can Amazon drones cope with carrying a case of Scotch? Just asking?

Is it April already?

That's all very well, but won't the butter have melted before it gets there? Also, can Amazon drones cope with carrying a case of Scotch? Just asking? ��

Is it April already?

Drone will fly in stratosphere, freezing your butter. And scotch will be delivered promptly to be held by ship staff and delivered to your cabin on last day of the cruise :p

Drone will fly in stratosphere, freezing your butter. And scotch will be delivered promptly to be held by ship staff and delivered to your cabin on last day of the cruise :p

Drat! Just when I thought I'd found the perfect solution.😉

I checked. There are 3 ports in the itinerary, two allow drones, one does not.

Also, yeah, my right to fly a drone trumps your right to privacy if you are in a public space. For example, if I am on a bike trail, and drone is following me, it may snap a picture of you if you are in the frame. That's not a violation of privacy since it's a public place.

Or if I am taking a scenery shot from 300 feet and it happens to capture your house.

But yeah, if I swoop down to like 20 feet above the yard, I can see how it can be a problem. However, in USA, if you shoot it down, it's a felony.

How is it a felony? A person invades my home /privacy with a drone flying too close, it could get shot down. Simple as that. Personally, it's lunkheads like you that that are the cause of more problems. It's always about you! If you're not supposed to bring it, then don't. If you want to & you end up in trouble, well the rest of us will just laugh & wave as the ship pulls away & you get hauled away.

Edited by keithm
additions

Good job committing a felony.

https://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-resource-manual-2-aircraft-sabotage-18-usc-32 - Sabotage of an aircraft.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/1.1 - FAA definition of an aircraft. Quote: Aircraft means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air.

Actual example:

http://katu.com/news/local/man-faces-felony-charge-for-shooting-drone-out-of-the-sky

If we read the laws correctly, nothing is mentioned about "drones" only aircraft capable of carrying passengers. Mind quoting where it actually says drones? Otherwise, we'll all just think you're full of crap. You're not the first clown who's tried justifying bringing a drone. You'll find it's banned on Princess. Yes, you certainly could try to sneak it on board & then take it into port. You also could have some pax turn you in for annoying them. Would I be one of those annoyed pax? Hmmmmmm, Could be.

They'll also dangle cheese burgers outside stateroom balconies for those on a diet. This encourages learning how to swim so it's a healthy choice.

Honestly though, drones aren't even a topic in my part of the world, I guess if it's a law at foreign ports then you'd want to stick to it. Here's some light entertainment

If we read the laws correctly, nothing is mentioned about "drones" only aircraft capable of carrying passengers. Mind quoting where it actually says drones? Otherwise, we'll all just think you're full of crap. You're not the first clown who's tried justifying bringing a drone. You'll find it's banned on Princess. Yes, you certainly could try to sneak it on board & then take it into port. You also could have some pax turn you in for annoying them. Would I be one of those annoyed pax? Hmmmmmm, Could be.

Actually you are incorrect.

FAA defines Aircraft as "a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air." And you can check 14 CFR 1.1. As you can see, zero mention of passengers. Shooting down a drone is a violation of 18 U.S. Code § 32(a)(1), Destruction of Aircraft or Aircraft Facilities, whoever willfully sets fire to, damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated, or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce.

So yeah, shooting down a drone is a felony.

So, if you see me somewhere on an island, flying a drone, away from people, are you going to be that passenger I somehow annoy and you turn me in? Even after I checked out a drone from ship's security personnel before going ashore?

Actually you are incorrect.

FAA defines Aircraft as "a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air." And you can check 14 CFR 1.1. As you can see, zero mention of passengers. Shooting down a drone is a violation of 18 U.S. Code § 32(a)(1), Destruction of Aircraft or Aircraft Facilities, whoever willfully sets fire to, damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated, or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce.

So yeah, shooting down a drone is a felony.

So, if you see me somewhere on an island, flying a drone, away from people, are you going to be that passenger I somehow annoy and you turn me in? Even after I checked out a drone from ship's security personnel before going ashore?

All I will say is I would love to take the case of the person who shot your drone down. You might get a very unpleasant and unexpected jolt.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

All I will say is I would love to take the case of the person who shot your drone down. You might get a very unpleasant and unexpected jolt.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

I've got a client for you then. Help this guy out: http://katu.com/news/local/man-faces-felony-charge-for-shooting-drone-out-of-the-sky