The Royal is Medallion ready

antsp

Sailing on the Royal and have noticed Medallion sensors all over the ship, cream looking discs about 5” across and about an 1” in depth. There is a smaller version in your cabin about 3” across above desk area , and also 1 on the bathroom wall. I can’t imagine how much this has cost to install.

Sailing on the Royal and have noticed Medallion sensors all over the ship, cream looking discs about 5” across and about an 1” in depth. There is a smaller version in your cabin about 3” across above desk area , and also 1 on the bathroom wall. I can’t imagine how much this has cost to install.

I've seen that little disc in pix that have been posted for the Royal/Regal. Wondered what they were. Now I know.;p

But why do we need one in the bathroom???

So this reminds me of a system that the USA railroads built in the 70's to keep track of freight cars, using **color** barcode sensors next to the railroad tracks every mile or so. It was a huge boon doggle and it failed. But one of the railroads' communications networks built to support the barcodes being shipped around became part of the non-Bell telephone company Sprint.

The parallel here is that it is quite possible that Carnival has overreached and we'll end up with great WiFi and a bunch of inexplicable bumps on the walls.

So this reminds me of a system that the USA railroads built in the 70's to keep track of freight cars, using **color** barcode sensors next to the railroad tracks every mile or so. It was a huge boon doggle and it failed. But one of the railroads' communications networks built to support the barcodes being shipped around became part of the non-Bell telephone company Sprint.

The parallel here is that it is quite possible that Carnival has overreached and we'll end up with great WiFi and a bunch of inexplicable bumps on the walls.

I would suspect that while the installation may have some "bumps" in it, in the end it will work as intended. This is not the first cruise line to go with a medallion system as at least one, Disney, has been using a very similar system. Supposedly, the people who installed the system on the Disney ships were hired to build the Princess system, so this won't be the first pie they've made.

Tom

As per usual in the commercial entertainment world, Disney has implemented this successfully. They are very much on the leading edge of both entertainment and innovation. Carnival Corp hired two Disney employees who were involved with the Disney implementation on their ships. The Royal was supposed to be ready for the *****. Judiciously Princess has decided to allow a few to use it at first as a test effort and then slowly expand it to every one on the ship. Speaking as a former IT consultant, this is how it is successfully done by industry. It is not going away and will be spread to all Carnival Corp ships (100+). The cruise cards we use today have a very definite short lifespan.

The basis of the ***** is RFID technology which has been around since the 1980's and is in use today in industry quite successfully. It is far from a recent development. What is new is using it on cruise ships or theme parks like Disney.

I can see the Medallion everywhere. But NOT in the bathroom Fugheddaboudit :o.

Tony

I can see the Medallion everywhere. But NOT in the bathroom Fugheddaboudit :o.

Tony

Yes it’s on the wall next to the glass shelt, I guess it’s there as a tracker, safety reasons. Maybe that’s where passengers are most likely to leave there Medallion if they forget it.

Anthea

Judiciously Princess has decided to allow a few to use it at first as a test effort and then slowly expand it to every one on the ship.

Um ... judiciously? Sure -- if a phased roll-out had been their initial plan.

But, when they set customer expectations, and are then unable to meet them,

and the only possible way they can move forward is with big schedule delays,

and a slow roll out ... I don't think judiciously is a word I would use.

Inept, careless or reckless would be better choices.

I've seen that little disc in pix that have been posted for the Royal/Regal. Wondered what they were. Now I know.;p

But why do we need one in the bathroom???

So they can find people who are late for muster or to join the crowd going through imaginations on turnaround day. :cool: