Fun (or bad??) Idea for Family Formal Night?

dana.carter17

What an attitude! So, you suggest acting like a barbarian and forcing everyone else to put up with anti-social behavior. Showing no consideration for others, being self centered and selfish, placing oneself first above all others is about as low as one can get. Quite the role model you are. :rolleyes:

Massively over-react much? There is a wide gulf between poor taste and barbarian or anti-social behavior.

Massively over-react much? There is a wide gulf between poor taste and barbarian or anti-social behavior.

Nope, no over-reaction at all. People who come on these boards and tell everyone to do whatever they want, irregardless of how their actions affect others who are also trying to have a good time on THEIR vacation, need to be reminded that their advice is not appropriate. Due to the self-serving and selfishly inconsiderate nature of that advice, it is irresponsible and completely anti-social. It is much worse than just having poor taste.

We have all run into people on cruises who seem to think they are more important than the rest of us, and everyone else should mind their own business. Why encourage more of it on these boards?

Edited by sloopsailor

Nope, no over-reaction at all. People who come on these boards and tell everyone to do whatever they want, irregardless of how their actions affect others who are also trying to have a good time on THEIR vacation, need to be reminded that their advice is not appropriate. Due to the self-serving and selfishly inconsiderate nature of that advice, it is irresponsible and completely anti-social. It is much worse than just having poor taste.

We have all run into people on cruises who seem to think they are more important than the rest of us, and everyone else should mind their own business. Why encourage more of it on these boards?

Really? We are talking about wearing t-shirts. How does that affect anyone else? Is someone wearing t-shirts on formal night really going to ruin your vacation? It's not infringing on anyone else's rights or safety. I never said to hell with everyone else. Don't put words in my mouth. I also don't see how that advice was "barbaric" in anyway. Wow! Lighten up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really? We are talking about wearing t-shirts. How does that affect anyone else? Is someone wearing t-shirts on formal night really going to ruin your vacation? It's not infringing on anyone else's rights or safety. I never said to hell with everyone else. Don't put words in my mouth. I also don't see how that advice was "barbaric" in anyway. Wow! Lighten up!

Nope, I won't "lighten up" when there are people like you who tell others to do what they want, to heck with what everybody else thinks. I didn't put words in your mouth. I commented on exactly what you advised - "Don't worry about what anyone else may think. If people don't like it they can walk right past you. Some people are offended by anything now a days." In other words, everybody else is unimportant.

Edited by sloopsailor

Telling someone to do what they feel like - regardless of requested dress - because it is. “your vacation ... don’t worry about what anyone else might think” —. that “me first” and “to hell with everyone else” attitude is a pretty clear case of “barbaric, anti-social, inconsiderate, self centered or selfish” thinking.

The acceptance of common rules is the first step out of barbarism.

I've never sailed Royal Caribbean - do they have a ship-wide dress code on formal nights? Or just in the dining room? The reason I ask is that the OP never said they were going into the MDR for dinner in their t-shirts.

Wearing inappropriate clothing is showing poor taste - advising the person thinking about doing it to ignore the rules and do whatever the h#ll you want is anti-social. You should pay attention to what people say before criticizing them (for something they did not say).

I've never sailed Royal Caribbean - do they have a ship-wide dress code on formal nights? Or just in the dining room? The reason I ask is that the OP never said they were going into the MDR for dinner in their t-shirts.

We have sailed on RCI many times. The dress code suggestion is not for the entire ship and it is not for the entire evening. Many people choose to dress for dinner in the MDR and then change into something more casual for the rest of the night. Some people stay in their formal/dressy clothing.

So many people answered on this thread when they haven't sailed on Royal. The dress code is a "suggestion" and barring wearing a bathing suit or a bathrobe to dinner, they most likely will be permitted to enter the MDR. So indeed, yes, the OP's family could wear t-shirts to Formal Night and may not be asked to change or be denied entry. In recent years passengers have worn much more casual clothing on every night of the cruise, including FN (I have seen this myself, and read about it on the RCI board).

Nope, I won't "lighten up" when there are people like you who tell others to do what they want, to heck with what everybody else thinks. I didn't put words in your mouth. I commented on exactly what you advised - "Don't worry about what anyone else may think. If people don't like it they can walk right past you. Some people are offended by anything now a days." In other words, everybody else is unimportant.

So you're saying that everyone on the ship is required to dress in formal wear on formal nights? That's ridiculous. They never said they are going to the MDR. If they want to have pics done in those shirts what's the big deal? Breaking that "rule" is not hurting anyone. So if they go eat at the buffet then have pics done you have a problem with that? I think we've already established that going to the MDR like that isn't a good idea.

So you're saying that everyone on the ship is required to dress in formal wear on formal nights? That's ridiculous. They never said they are going to the MDR. If they want to have pics done in those shirts what's the big deal? Breaking that "rule" is not hurting anyone. So if they go eat at the buffet then have pics done you have a problem with that? I think we've already established that going to the MDR like that isn't a good idea.

Unbelievable! Do some of you people have any reading comprehension skills at all? I did not say anything about how people should dress, nor was I critical about the OPs question. I replied to a person who is telling everyone to do as they want, and to heck with everyone else, voicing my opinion that encouraging people to think only of themselves and showing no regard for what others may be wanting out of their cruise is not appropriate. Why is that so darn difficult for some of you to understand??????????

I give up. There are too many people on this tread who clearly can't read. I am out of here. You go right ahead and ignore what I wrote, and make up whatever interpretation you need to make yourself feel somehow better than me. Frankly, I really don't care what you think since you clearly don't comprehend simple sentences.

Unbelievable! Do some of you people have any reading comprehension skills at all? I did not say anything about how people should dress, nor was I critical about the OPs question. I replied to a person who is telling everyone to do as they want, and to heck with everyone else, voicing my opinion that encouraging people to think only of themselves and showing no regard for what others may be wanting out of their cruise is not appropriate. Why is that so darn difficult for some of you to understand??????????

I give up. There are too many people on this tread who clearly can't read. I am out of here. You go right ahead and ignore what I wrote, and make up whatever interpretation you need to make yourself feel somehow better than me. Frankly, I really don't care what you think since you clearly don't comprehend simple sentences.

Rest assured that some of us DO have reading comprehension skills. I knew from the beginning that you were replying to what Radcruiser68 wrote and not what the OP asked. And I agree with you - encouraging people to think only of themselves and to disregard other peoples feelings is not good advice. Sorry that some on this thread apparently have blinders on and can't avoid spinning what other people write to serve themselves. We are supposed to be living in a civilized society. For most of us that means being considerate of others. For some, apparently, it means taking care of only themselves at the expense of everyone else around them.

Clearly, I don't post much, preferring to stay in the shadows and learn from experienced cruisers. But I couldn't sit quietly watching how some people are quick to jump in to twist other peoples words to satisfy their own agendas.

Edited by Ted's excellent adventure

I never advised them to disregard other cruisers feelings. I don't see how them wearing t-shirts to have pictures done (if that's what they want) should hurt anyone else's feelings or ruin anyone else's night. I never encouraged anyone to "think only of themselves." I simply said it that if they wanted to dress in tuxedo t-shirts and have family pictures done then I don't see why that should bother anyone else. They shouldn't worry about what other people think about their choice of clothing. I didn't say go to the MDR afterwards. I didn't suggest they go photobomb someone else's formal pictures with their t-shirts on and ruin their night. I didn't say to hell with everyone else. If other cruisers don't agree with their choice of clothing they should be capable of walking right on by them without letting it ruin their night. Just like when someone makes a comment or suggestion on the internet that you don't agree with you should be mature enough to scroll past it. This is a forum for people to help each other. Not to name call and criticize. But at least we can agree on one thing...this conversation doesn't need to continue.

The answers posted here are in the context of the question asked, not ALL rules related to cruising. :rolleyes: Good grief. Yes, by all means, sneak alcohol onboard, climb over the railings, etc. etc..

Do what you want. Have fun, fancy clothing never made food taste better. Besides who wants to wear formal wear in the humidity of the Caribbean. Not me. I’m pure trash,

If the other posts weren’t convincing, this one hits the mark.

Burt

It's your vacation, your pictures, your memories....Don't worry about what anyone else may think. If people don't like it they can walk right past you. Some people are offended by anything now a days. If you like the ideas I say go for it. And have fun!

Rest assured that some of us DO have reading comprehension skills. I knew from the beginning that you were replying to what Radcruiser68 wrote and not what the OP asked. And I agree with you - encouraging people to think only of themselves and to disregard other peoples feelings is not good advice. Sorry that some on this thread apparently have blinders on and can't avoid spinning what other people write to serve themselves. We are supposed to be living in a civilized society. For most of us that means being considerate of others. For some' date=' apparently, it means taking care of only themselves at the expense of everyone else around them.[/quote']

I could be wrong here, but it sure looks like the advice Radcruiser gave was regarding the wearing of t-shirts, period. Other people shouldn't worry about the OP and family wearing t-shirts, and their feelings about the way they're dressed is absolutely something to be ignored. The wearing of t-shirts on formal night isn't inconsiderate of anybody, especially if it follows the rules set by the cruise line, which it apparently does.

There are a lot of things I don't care for, but 99% of them aren't my business, so it doesn't matter that I don't like it.

The OP hasn't come back BUT has not said whether she wants to eat in the MDR, buffet or just get pictures. It is all just conjecture on everyone's part.

I agree. T-shirts are t-shirts. Around the ship, sure. In the buffet, sure. In the MDR, a solid no. No, it won't ruin my cruise. But, yes, it will impact me quiet enjoyment of seeing all the men, women and children looking their finest. It won't kill you once to twice a year to not look and dress like a slob.

I also think the "it's my vacation and to H*ll with the rest of you" attitude explains why so many people are "me me me" today and don't have enough manners to hold a door open for someone. Thank goodness both my children taught their children manners.

My grandchildren know that if they are cruising, then they are dressing appropriately. There is no discussion.

OP, last cruise I bought the photo package and wanted to make sure we got lots of pictures. My kids knew - hurry up (and wait) for all the different backgrounds because they were taking pictures. That was my payment for their cruise.

There are too many people on this tread who clearly can't read. I am out of here. You go right ahead and ignore what I wrote, and make up whatever interpretation you need...

I think people can read but they choose to "hear" what they want to hear. Seems to me it used to be that spoken conversations were the most apt to get twisted and turned around because one could never prove exactly what the word choice was.

What amazes me is when the written word that is there to be read over and over gets completely ignored and turned into whatever one chooses. I think some do it unwittingly and others do it because of their egos that cannot fathom that somebody disagrees with them and may have a valid point.

That being said, I know the point you are trying to make and agree with it but the execution might be able to be tweaked, as in...

"So, you suggest showing little consideration for others, and placing oneself first above all others is a sound philosophy? That attitude might end up taking some of the enjoyment out of it for those around you that have the same rights and expectations as you. I always try to realize that when I choose to be involved in activities with others that I need to take into account how my behavior and actions affect others as I hope they return me that same common courtesy"

or similar

It would make no difference to us or to our enjoyment of the cruise. Besides, what you decide to wear is not really my business. Nor is is my job to police what others wear.

At the end of the day the cruise line will be the arbiter. They will either admit you or not admit you. Entirely their issue though you would be welcome to sit at our table.

It would make no difference to us or to our enjoyment of the cruise. Besides, what you decide to wear is not really my business. Nor is is my job to police what others wear.

At the end of the day the cruise line will be the arbiter. They will either admit you or not admit you. Entirely their issue though you would be welcome to sit at our table.

It became our business when OP started this thread and asked our opinions. :D

Hey Cruisers! I need some feedback on a formal night idea...

We are cruising soon with 2 toddlers, 2 grandparents, my husband, and myself. I thought a cute, tongue-in-cheek idea for a formal night would be to have all of us (including the kiddos) wearing Tuxedo T shirts/"Gown" T shirts. Thoughts? (For your mind's eye - erase all beer cans and drunken smiles - lol!!) We would be put together and cute, but the guys would probably be in jeans or khakis and the gals in skirts. I think having a multi-generational group in these outfits would be cute, but I don't know if others would be offended by my sense of humor. Thoughts, please!

ETA: Cruiseline is Royal Caribbean, and it's one of the Dreamworks Experience ships with Dreamworks characters and events.

It would be suitable for Halloween not Formal Nights on any ship.