Fun (or bad??) Idea for Family Formal Night?

dana.carter17

Just the babies will be better. My grandsons recently wore one and I don’t think it will look nice for me on formal nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. Keep it to the toddlers, that would be cute, not for older kids or adults.

Also, I can’t remember if t-shirts are even allowed for men on RC for dinner. I know some lines require collared shirts.

I agree with the others, On the toddlers it would be fine. On the adults-tacky.

Further, the other adults might enjoy the idea of dressing up and might be disappointed in your suggestion that they should wear a t-shirt. The women might seem to go along with it just because they don't want to hurt your feelings. Save the cute t-shirt idea for a family party at home.

If you are wanting to do it mainly for the pics, then I say do it. I probably wouldn’t go in the MDR in them. Otherwise, I think it’s cute.

I agree with this ... it would be a cute picture! There are usually more photogs in various locations around the ship on formal nights so it would be a good night to have a picture taken.

And even if you can't get in the MDR, you can go just about anywhere else on the ship, there are plenty of people wandering around in shorts & tee shirts on formal nights ...

I agree with this ... it would be a cute picture! There are usually more photogs in various locations around the ship on formal nights so it would be a good night to have a picture taken.

And even if you can't get in the MDR, you can go just about anywhere else on the ship, there are plenty of people wandering around in shorts & tee shirts on formal nights ...

Do you realize that bothersome photogs is but one of the usual reasons many folks avoid mass market cruise lines?

Hahahaha :) Well I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's cruises with a little family t-shirt fun. Maybe I'll just get the babies some cute tuxedo onesies and leave it at that ;)

SaveSave

OK everyone, that was post # 7 yesterday morning, I think the OP got the message a long time ago.

Now feel free to discuss Global Warning and it's effect on Formal wear choices or the lack of clothes hangers in cruise ship cabins an it's contribution to the downward spiral in the clothing choices made by cruisers these days.

OK everyone, that was post # 7 yesterday morning, I think the OP got the message a long time ago.

Now feel free to discuss Global Warning and it's effect on Formal wear choices or the lack of clothes hangers in cruise ship cabins an it's contribution to the downward spiral in the clothing choices made by cruisers these days.

Now here is a diversion into an area with profound societal implications: did the shortage of hangers upon which to store formal wear bring about the movement towards tee shirts and jeans in the MDR, or did an independently generated trend away from formality reduce the necessity for hangers?

Were studies conducted at the time steel was cut for each new build to establish the number of additional hangers which might be needed to fully equip each ship as it first sailed? Is it possible that mere negligent failure to conduct such studies might be the root cause of the slackening of dress codes - virtually across the board?

Hahahaha :) Well I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's cruises with a little family t-shirt fun. Maybe I'll just get the babies some cute tuxedo onesies and leave it at that ;)

SaveSave

If anyone is offended or they let this ruin their cruise, then shame on them! I say wear your t-shirts & have fun! (Although I’ve never cruised RCCL, I’m guessing dining would have to be buffet)

Now here is a diversion into an area with profound societal implications: did the shortage of hangers upon which to store formal wear bring about the movement towards tee shirts and jeans in the MDR, or did an independently generated trend away from formality reduce the necessity for hangers?

Were studies conducted at the time steel was cut for each new build to establish the number of additional hangers which might be needed to fully equip each ship as it first sailed? Is it possible that mere negligent failure to conduct such studies might be the root cause of the slackening of dress codes - virtually across the board?

I think you maybe onto something there nbt. But was it simply an accident that this negligent failure occurred or could it have been a conspiracy? :confused: Those ship builders are mostly European aren't they and those Euros have been trying to undermine our sartorial splendor on this side of the Atlantic ever since we stole Football from them.

It's your vacation, your pictures, your memories....Don't worry about what anyone else may think. If people don't like it they can walk right past you. Some people are offended by anything now a days. If you like the ideas I say go for it. And have fun!

I think you maybe onto something there nbt. But was it simply an accident that this negligent failure occurred or could it have been a conspiracy? :confused: Those ship builders are mostly European aren't they and those Euros have been trying to undermine our sartorial splendor on this side of the Atlantic ever since we stole Football from them.

By Jove - I think you've nailed it: it's those Euros!!!!! Cunard (yes, Carnival - but with a distinct British Accent), MSC, Costa (similar parentage, with an Italian accent), P&O and Pullmantour - and probably others - still play the formal game.

Hey Cruisers! I need some feedback on a formal night idea...

We are cruising soon with 2 toddlers, 2 grandparents, my husband, and myself. I thought a cute, tongue-in-cheek idea for a formal night would be to have all of us (including the kiddos) wearing Tuxedo T shirts/"Gown" T shirts. Thoughts? (For your mind's eye - erase all beer cans and drunken smiles - lol!!) We would be put together and cute, but the guys would probably be in jeans or khakis and the gals in skirts. I think having a multi-generational group in these outfits would be cute, but I don't know if others would be offended by my sense of humor. Thoughts, please!

ETA: Cruiseline is Royal Caribbean, and it's one of the Dreamworks Experience ships with Dreamworks characters and events.

Dinner time in MDR? Bad idea. As a cutesy family thing, sure why not! Go find a photog, get some pictures, maybe buy the CD and email photos to your hometown newspaper. You can get a large poster sized print made and use it to decorate your cabin door on your next cruise. But please not in the dining room where people are trying to act grown up and civilized for a change.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey Cruisers! I need some feedback on a formal night idea...

We are cruising soon with 2 toddlers, 2 grandparents, my husband, and myself. I thought a cute, tongue-in-cheek idea for a formal night would be to have all of us (including the kiddos) wearing Tuxedo T shirts/"Gown" T shirts. Thoughts? (For your mind's eye - erase all beer cans and drunken smiles - lol!!) We would be put together and cute, but the guys would probably be in jeans or khakis and the gals in skirts. I think having a multi-generational group in these outfits would be cute, but I don't know if others would be offended by my sense of humor. Thoughts, please!

ETA: Cruiseline is Royal Caribbean, and it's one of the Dreamworks Experience ships with Dreamworks characters and events.

I would say no, not really quite dressy enough for the whole family. Staff might try to gently encourage you to dress more appropriately or more likely will just seat you in a bad table back in some hidden corner. I think it would be find for the toddlers, though.

It's your vacation, your pictures, your memories....Don't worry about what anyone else may think. If people don't like it they can walk right past you. Some people are offended by anything now a days. If you like the ideas I say go for it. And have fun!

What an attitude! So, you suggest acting like a barbarian and forcing everyone else to put up with anti-social behavior. Showing no consideration for others, being self centered and selfish, placing oneself first above all others is about as low as one can get. Quite the role model you are. :rolleyes:

What an attitude! So, you suggest acting like a barbarian and forcing everyone else to put up with anti-social behavior. Showing no consideration for others, being self centered and selfish, placing oneself first above all others is about as low as one can get. Quite the role model you are. :rolleyes:

They're talking about wearing t-shirts, for goodness sakes. How is that barbaric, anti-social, inconsiderate, self centered or selfish?

They're talking about wearing t-shirts, for goodness sakes. How is that barbaric, anti-social, inconsiderate, self centered or selfish?

I was not replying to the OP, for goodness sake. I was replying to someone who gave advice to not care about everyone else, to just do what they want, and that if people don't like it, that's not their problem. That is barbaric in my opinion. It shows a lack of respect for others, and a lack of courtesy and maturity.

The OP has already shown that they do care about others and will refrain from doing what they asked. I give them credit for that.

Telling someone to do what they feel like - regardless of requested dress - because it is. “your vacation ... don’t worry about what anyone else might think” —. that “me first” and “to hell with everyone else” attitude is a pretty clear case of “barbaric, anti-social, inconsiderate, self centered or selfish” thinking.

The acceptance of common rules is the first step out of barbarism.

I was not replying to the OP, for goodness sake. I was replying to someone who gave advice to not care about everyone else, to just do what they want, and that if people don't like it, that's not their problem. That is barbaric in my opinion. It shows a lack of respect for others, and a lack of courtesy and maturity.

The OP has already shown that they do care about others and will refrain from doing what they asked. I give them credit for that.

I saw you weren't replying to the OP. However, the person you did reply to, their advice (to the OP, I believe) pertained to the wearing of the t-shirts. For the OP to not worry what people thought of them wearing the t-shirts. I didn't at all get that they were saying to not ever worry about anybody else in every other aspect of life. Just the t-shirts being worn on formal night. But I could be wrong.