Dining - Odyssey - Evening hours of operation.....

Mabers

I hope you never travel to Spain.

This is one reason I prefer renting apartments - plus I love to shop local markets. I'm in bed at 9:30 - there's no way I'm having dinner at 10pm. I couldn't do it when I was a 20 yr old college student visiting Spain for the first time - no way I'd be able to manage now.

I really don't see a problem with eating at the available SB times, if what is offered is not for you,then maybe another line would be more suitable. The line cannot please everyone, but I am sure there are more people who eat from 7-9pm than ones who eat earlier to be honest. Seabourn generally attracts a sophisticated clientele, who enjoy drinks before a meal, maybe this just isn't your fit.

One size does not fit all. But there are constraints and especially on a smaller cruise ship like the Seabourn ones. They include when most guests prefer to eat, the availability of crew to staff longer opening hours while still offering service in the bars and lounges, the capacity of the galleys, etc. etc.. ...

... But there is the reality that you really cannot please all the people all the time. Compromises need to be made and maybe that includes eating a bit later than you might prefer.

Don't disagree and you're absolutely correct. I'll manage with the Seabourn hours just fine, 6/7pm start most nights in TK/MDR, with occasional room service if I have an early next morning and/or want to turn in early. Just wanted to push back on the myopic view that one just can't imagine wanting to dine before 7pm or that because they (and the people they know) don't eat before 7pm it simply doesn't happen.

I wouldn't bank on 6pm dinner starts at TK. If your cruise is anything like mine there were far more people wanting reservations there than space/time available. Eventually existing reservations were either lost or the holders were asked in a very suggestive manner if they wouldn't mind giving up their reservations.

I wouldn't bank on 6pm dinner starts at TK. If your cruise is anything like mine there were far more people wanting reservations there than space/time available. Eventually existing reservations were either lost or the holders were asked in a very suggestive manner if they wouldn't mind giving up their reservations.

I imagine the situation changes every voyage. When we were on Quest earlier this year we grabbed three reservations as soon as we boarded. The American diner experience wasn't for us but some others loved it. We cancelled the next two reservations. As the cruise continued we were offered spots at TK several times as they were consistently only two thirds full.

A wonderful thread with lots of opinions. Kept me entertained for half an hour. I think "American" tastes can vary widely in many ways. The mid-Atlantic neighbours when we lived there thought it insane that we would have dinner at 9. Quite simply, that was when I got home from the office. Most restaurants were empty or closed by 8:30. In San Francisco last weekend we could get an impromptu reservation on Open Table in a good restaurant around 5:30 but after that we would be eating at 10:30. My preferred time is 8:00ish. Canadians tend to be more European in the larger cities and eat later but we have such a rich and varied population that once again generalities are misleading.

Thank heavens we are not all the same. Life would be very boring.

I do love food, so I think I can comment on this, re: "Most Americans eat dinner between 5-7..." I have to respectfully disagree. When I was a child, maybe, we always at promptly at 5pm, as did my grandparents...and theirs. That was 40 years ago. Nowadays...

I barely know anyone that still works (as in Not Retired) that is even home before 6 or 7 during the week. At any restaurant requiring reservations (I've experienced this across the country), if you don't want to wait...go at 5. But do not go at 8.

While many Americans might cook and eat AT HOME at 5pm, very few dine out before 7pm. A Seabourn cruise is more of an "out for dinner every night" kind of experience, and so it will suit (I think) more folks than not. This isn't to say there aren't those who prefer fine dining at an earlier hour - clearly there are - but you are in the minority (as many Fine American restaurants will verify). Seabourn is stuck trying to please the most people with the least staff, and it also pleases a great majority of European diners, so it does make some sense.

I do love food, so I think I can comment on this, re: "Most Americans eat dinner between 5-7..." I have to respectfully disagree. When I was a child, maybe, we always at promptly at 5pm, as did my grandparents...and theirs. That was 40 years ago. Nowadays...

I barely know anyone that still works (as in Not Retired) that is even home before 6 or 7 during the week. At any restaurant requiring reservations (I've experienced this across the country), if you don't want to wait...go at 5. But do not go at 8.

While many Americans might cook and eat AT HOME at 5pm, very few dine out before 7pm. A Seabourn cruise is more of an "out for dinner every night" kind of experience, and so it will suit (I think) more folks than not. This isn't to say there aren't those who prefer fine dining at an earlier hour - clearly there are - but you are in the minority (as many Fine American restaurants will verify). Seabourn is stuck trying to please the most people with the least staff, and it also pleases a great majority of European diners, so it does make some sense.

Totally agree Dinner time at home and at sea is totally different. After a full Port day one needs time for R&R before getting dressed for dinner.

Social time before dinner is a must even for us "old" retired folk.

This is one reason I prefer renting apartments - plus I love to shop local markets. I'm in bed at 9:30 - there's no way I'm having dinner at 10pm. I couldn't do it when I was a 20 yr old college student visiting Spain for the first time - no way I'd be able to manage now.

With that logic you should consider renting your own yacht. Then you can eat whenever you want. Seabourn serves at certain times. If they are not convenient to you then Seabourn is obviously the wrong line for you.

With that logic you should consider renting your own yacht. Then you can eat whenever you want. Seabourn serves at certain times. If they are not convenient to you then Seabourn is obviously the wrong line for you.

I never once said I wouldn't be able to survive just fine on a Seabourn cruise, thank you very much. I happen to think it's ridiculous to assign value to people's choices about when they prefer to dine and to suggest they shouldn't visit certain locations because of local norms.

Maybe Seabourn won't be the right cruise line for me. No clue - I haven't been on one yet. I don't cruise often - I prefer a land trip for many reasons. But I'm very excited about our upcoming Seabourn trip, despite some of the attitudes found on cruise critic....

I never once said I wouldn't be able to survive just fine on a Seabourn cruise, thank you very much. I happen to think it's ridiculous to assign value to people's choices about when they prefer to dine and to suggest they shouldn't visit certain locations because of local norms.

Maybe Seabourn won't be the right cruise line for me. No clue - I haven't been on one yet. I don't cruise often - I prefer a land trip for many reasons. But I'm very excited about our upcoming Seabourn trip, despite some of the attitudes found on cruise critic....

Honestly, tolerance, how does it work?

It's fascinating watching aficionados of 'let's drop in to a place for eight hours, return to our six star cocoon and think ourselves worldly' cast aspersions on how other people choose to live. Myopia is more than just an eye disease...

Honestly, tolerance, how does it work?

It's fascinating watching aficionados of 'let's drop in to a place for eight hours, return to our six star cocoon and think ourselves worldly' cast aspersions on how other people choose to live. Myopia is more than just an eye disease...

Just because I like to cruise doesn't mean I don't do lots of land vacations. Prior to my cruise in January I did a week in Siem Reap prior to boarding a cruise in Singapore. Before on get on my cruise in Barcelona I will spend two weeks in Paris including some train trips to areas just outside of Paris. Then catch the TGV to Barcelona.

I guess what I am trying to point out is there are quite a few here giving advice about why it works like it does on Seabourn who also do land trips. So to imply we only travel in a Seabourn bubble well "pot kettle black".

Julie

I really appreciate the information in this thread about the staff having to double up and cover multiple locations plus fitting in their own meals & breaks. That is the kind of information Cruise Critic is great at providing. I now have a much better understanding of why Seabourn is set up the way it is. It's the judgement I could do without...

I just had an entertaining 20 minutes by reading through this thread from the start, some of the comments are very informative and some are absolutely hilarious, especially from people who admit that they have never sailed on Seabourn.

As for me, there will plenty of time to eat at 5pm when I'm in the nursing home (it's that early so the kitchen staff can go home) :)

I just had an entertaining 20 minutes by reading through this thread from the start, some of the comments are very informative and some are absolutely hilarious, especially from people who admit that they have never sailed on Seabourn.

As for me, there will plenty of time to eat at 5pm when I'm in the nursing home (it's that early so the kitchen staff can go home) :)

+1

I'm from the US and when on vacation prefer to eat around 8 - just to disprove the stereotype comments above, on the ship we are usually still enjoying cocktails until after 7:45 or so (and best if w/ frantic or one of many other CC friends), at home we usually dine around 7, if eating out more like 7:30. While there are some on Seabourn who run to the MDR when it opens after an event, many others prefer to wait until later. It depends but I'd suggest if you are in a different environment being open minded instead of having to eat at a specific time. Go w/ the day's flow JMO.

I guess what I am trying to point out is there are quite a few here giving advice about why it works like it does on Seabourn who also do land trips. So to imply we only travel in a Seabourn bubble well "pot kettle black".

Julie

I never said only or exclusively, I just said they're aficionados - enthusiastic about this method of (IMO sheltered) travel. While advice is welcome, the inability to conceive or accept that some people choose to live differently, and the negative judgment of them, is not. Perhaps there's a relationship here worth considering.

I haven't criticized the Seabourn dining hours or lobbied for changes to them. I accept the reasoning for them, from staffing needs to clientele preference. I have also explained why I generally prefer earlier dining because of health reasons. Others may have different reasons for their early dining preference. Maybe people value very early morning hours over late night hours and eat meals accordingly. The point is it's their choice.

Maybe Seabourn isn't the right choice for those people. That might even be good advice! But those who can't just stop there and continue on with haughty derision simply because people choose to live differently only disgrace themselves.

(To be clear Julie, I don't think you're guilty of this. I'm just explaining why I disagreed with some of the things in this thread.)

I hope I did not sound negative about people eating early - I do know that for health reasons some do need to. My point is really that, although we eat quite early at home, often around 6 or 6.30, somehow on board there seems to be something to occupy us up to at least 5 or later, and it is good to change in a leisurely fashion and take advantage of the bars and a cocktail or two, by which time is is usually at least 7 or later. I think most people would find the same would apply to them. Certainly if you like a choice of a table for two, going in soon after 7 or leaving it until fairly late when the first diners have left is the best move.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. And I'm also sure you'll find plenty to eat. Enjoy!

I have just read back into my own contribution to this topic as well as the overall tone. It reminded me to look back on my life to a time when I was homeless, sleeping rough and hungry. At that time I don’t think I would have cared what time dinner was served or what my fellow diners were wearing. I hope I never lose that perspective. Let’s all be grateful we have a meal.

Question - what is the name of the generation born in the 70’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Generation X, or Gen X, is the demographic cohort following the baby boomers and preceding the Millennials. There are no precise dates for when Generation X starts or ends. Demographers and researchers typically use birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s to the early 1980s.

Generation X - Wikipedia

Generation X, or Gen X, is the demographic cohort following the baby boomers and preceding the Millennials. There are no precise dates for when Generation X starts or ends. Demographers and researchers typically use birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s to the early 1980s.

Generation X - Wikipedia

Thanks. Learn something new everyday.

Seabourn features Dr. Andrew Weil programs on ships; so most guests know his health recommendations and many follow recommendations both onboard and at home. Dr. Weil would recommend eating earlier and lighter and avoiding many of the food items served at the afternoon tea.

"In middle age, metabolism slows, and weight not only goes on faster, it comes off much less easily. This is a good time in life to leave behind the dietary excesses of youth" Andrew Weil pg. 194 Optimum Health book

While many of the fit and younger guests can enjoy foods at afternoon tea and eat later and never gain any weight; many of the middle age guests may want to eat early and use some of Dr. Weil's recommendations to keep healthy and not gain weight. And there may be some active and fit older guests who can enjoy foods at the afternoon tea and eat a late dinner and not gain any weight.

Entering the dining room around 7 p.m. , our first course was served around 8 pm and our entrée after 9 p.m. so we finished our entrée around 10 p.m. and went to the show without dessert. If you are hungry around 6 p.m. and don't receive your entrée until after 9 p.m. , even if you attend the show you go to bed too full. It is not what time you enter the dining room, it is what time you are served dinner, and it is too late for many.

For those Seabourn guests who want to follow the recommendations on health from Dr. Andrew Weil; it makes sense that early dining options would be available.

Entering the dining room around 7 p.m. , our first course was served around 8 pm and our entrée after 9 p.m. so we finished our entrée around 10 p.m. and went to the show without dessert.

An hour wait for first course and for subsequent courses seems excessive even by leisurely dining standards. Half that time pushes the outer bounds of appropriateness IMO. Can this really be true?

For those Seabourn guests who want to follow the recommendations on health from Dr. Andrew Weil; it makes sense to choose a cruise line other than Seabourn where early dining options would be available.

Fixed that for you. ;):D [irony smiley]