How concerned should I be with flight change?

TravelinGert

I just received notice our flight to Miami to board our cruise has been canceled. The airline has helpfully booked a new flight for us. We will still be traveling nonstop from the airport near our home but will arrive at 10:30 AM the day of our cruise on MSC Seaside. How concerned should we be?

I recall on our last cruise out of Miami we had quite a walk through the airport to where we picked up our rental car but this time we will just need to get to the nearest taxi stand. Should we look into hiring a driver to pick us up to ensure we arrive in a timely fashion? We can manage in our carry on luggage alright so we won't have to wait for baggage claim.

If your flight is not delayed, i guess you won’t have a problem. Just get an Uber or a cab to get to the port.

It’s really a concern not arriving a day before to cover any possible flight and baggage delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just received notice our flight to Miami to board our cruise has been canceled. The airline has helpfully booked a new flight for us. We will still be traveling nonstop from the airport near our home but will arrive at 10:30 AM the day of our cruise on MSC Seaside. How concerned should we be?

I recall on our last cruise out of Miami we had quite a walk through the airport to where we picked up our rental car but this time we will just need to get to the nearest taxi stand. Should we look into hiring a driver to pick us up to ensure we arrive in a timely fashion? We can manage in our carry on luggage alright so we won't have to wait for baggage claim.

What is the latest time that you have to be on board? Not what time does the ship leave but the latest boarding time. Also, when are you traveling and from where. We need this data before we can give you an intelligent answer.

DON

If your flight is not delayed, i guess you won’t have a problem. Just get an Uber or a cab to get to the port.

It’s really a concern not arriving a day before to cover any possible flight and baggage delays.

Personally, I would not rely on any unregulated car service (e.g., Uber). Though probably more expensive, consider Execucar.

Uber was fantastic when we used it coming back from the MSC Divina. We were picked up within 60 seconds of requesting our Uber. It was so fast that we made it to the airport early enough to standby on an 830am flight home. I would definitely use them again. Our experience, that time and every other times we've used them has always been great.

Does the Seaside depart from Miami at 7pm like the Divina did when we sailed on her? Although I'm a huge advocate of flying in at least one day prior to the cruise, the late departure should give you plenty of time should you encounter delays or unforeseen circumstances.

What is the latest time that you have to be on board? Not what time does the ship leave but the latest boarding time. Also, when are you traveling and from where. We need this data before we can give you an intelligent answer.

DON

OP lists Texas in his signature but we don't know where in Texas or whether that is from where trhey are flying.

Personally, I would not rely on any unregulated car service (e.g., Uber). Though probably more expensive, consider Execucar.

You might be shocked, but we prefer Uber over most executive car services. The Uber app allows us to track our ride (on a map in real time), see a picture of our driver and a description of our car. The app also gives us the phone number of the driver, so if we are in a crowded area like a port we can quickly call the driver and specify exact details of a pickup spot. I have had two situations, in recent years, where we ordered cars from reputable car services...only to find no car upon our arrival. In both cases we called the service and got various excuses. Unlike "regulated taxis" which have tried to rip us off on many occasions (including places in the USA), Uber has pre-determined prices (which you see on your phone before you commit to the car). Lyft is also a similar type service which has a big following.

Another nice thing about Uber is that folks who have an AMEX Platinum card get $15 a month of Uber credits.. So if we use Uber to get to a port in Florida, our ride is essentially free.

Hank

You might be shocked, but we prefer Uber over most executive car services. The Uber app allows us to track our ride (on a map in real time), see a picture of our driver and a description of our car. The app also gives us the phone number of the driver, so if we are in a crowded area like a port we can quickly call the driver and specify exact details of a pickup spot. I have had two situations, in recent years, where we ordered cars from reputable car services...only to find no car upon our arrival. In both cases we called the service and got various excuses. Unlike "regulated taxis" which have tried to rip us off on many occasions (including places in the USA), Uber has pre-determined prices (which you see on your phone before you commit to the car). Lyft is also a similar type service which has a big following.

Another nice thing about Uber is that folks who have an AMEX Platinum card get $15 a month of Uber credits.. So if we use Uber to get to a port in Florida, our ride is essentially free.

Hank

Thanks for the comment.

No argument here that Uber has many positives.

However, one of our problems with Uber and Lyft is SF's long standing tradition of "union town" (which includes taxi drivers). That union issue coupled with an ongoing local war about Uber's (et al.) effects on downtown (and even airport) traffic has many "lines drawn in the sand."

Here at home we are fortunate that one of our neighbor's operates a town car service and he does well by us.

In foreign ports new to us, we have found that hotel concierges can often work wonders on price and availability for transfers. Also, the nature of my work before retirement makes talking with US consular staff about preferred/recommended private (and secure) car services a real perk.

Nonetheless, and back to SF, Uber (for us) is a sore point, not unlike "Air BnB" (another local war). But, it should and does work for many folks.

I note that the OP has not responded to any posts. If he doesn't care, why should we.

DON

Gee, Don, you could cut the OP some slack.

If this thread had been going on for days with no response, then I agree with your sentiment.

But it's only been 17 hours. Work, family, or whatever might be keeping them from checking in every time someone posts.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app