Alot of Negative Vista Feedback

lcpagejr

My biggest complaint with the Vista (and we loved our cruise, btw) was the check in for dining on 5 and go to dining on 3. The idea was so backwards that the first night, we did not understand it at all and ended up in a comedy club line. By the time we figured out that we were in the wrong line, the line to "check in" on five was down the hall. It was insane. So we ended up at the buffet that night. We really were shocked at how bizarre the system was and felt like we were part of a bureaucratic joke. Also, the atrium has the feel of a lobby for an inexpensive hotel. The air conditioning is awful in public areas so I do not advise taking it in the summer. The staff and food however are amazing. So, so fun.

We are booked on the Vista in May, Havana Aft Wrap.

After reading all of this negativity...

This cruise is going to suck, so anyone that booked a Havana cabin should cancel now!

This will be our first cruise since 2010, our first after my wife's brain surgery (2012) and will also be our 25th anniversary cruise.

We have had to cancel 2 or 3 cruises since for setbacks...We are going to have a blast....

I will have her airlifted to the shop If I have too!

We have YTD and am looking forward to seeing the process, with that said we plan to only eat there once or twice, we have 3 specialty

dinners booked...( may add one or 2 more) and other nights a simple meal somewhere on the Lido and a night in Curacao.

I keep saying we... however my wife's knows of nothing yet about this surprise cruise!

Or for that mater the cruise to Alaska I have booked for May of 19!

I am so psyched, can't wait to spring it on her ( in the spring) and get on this cruise.

While I was on the 11/4 sailing my complaints have nothing to do with crowd size. My focus is on the issues the ship is having already. I as well as one other person that I know of had wet carpet inside their door. And I'm not talking damp, I mean puddled. I never made a deal of it and it was resolved about 4 days into the cruise, but from what I had heard they had leaking pipes. Also their was condensation in different inside areas. Point being with this issues while they may seem minor could result in mold in their future. I wish I could post a picture of the water drops all over the ceiling. And still not sure as to what they were fixing while we were delayed leaving Miami. Heard several rumors but not sure which was the case. Yes the lido food was bad and the atruim is blah and the liquid lounge is like the Sunshine, however I would sail the Sunshine again. My main reason to not go on the Vista or Horizon is there is not enough wow and change to justify the price again at this point. Reguardless of the faults it was a great cruise because I always have a great time.

The devil is in the details. When large public spaces like the Havana are cordoned off - the size/passenger ratio is effectively very different for those in and out.

I also think things like an 8 story Atrium and two story dining room create the impression of more space even though filling in that airspace with floor space would actually be better with respect to crowded on paper. When I step in to these towering areas, I think “this ship has space to burn” and I feel less crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Couldn't agree more- Although actual space is important- the appearance of actual space is paramount. They do this all of the time when building new houses. It was once the norm to build every room with an 8' ceiling- that was all of the headroom most any person needed. Then they found out that if they vaulted those ceilings- bam- it gives the appearance of more space! (It does give more volume- not more floor space). Which is why HGTV is making millions developing shows that renovate living spaces by opening them up- square footage isn't changed at all- but people are lining up to do it!

We have yet to sail the Vista, but have booked the Horizon in April- mainly because Europe is on my bucket list and the price was right. Perhaps I will be disappointed in the ship. I am not sure. I can say that I was disappointed with the changes they made between the Dream and the Breeze. I love the Dream, the Breeze seemed closed in to me. It was not enough of an issue to impact my overall experience- just that if those two ships were sitting side by side, going to the same location, I'd get on the Dream every single time.

Couldn't agree more- Although actual space is important- the appearance of actual space is paramount. They do this all of the time when building new houses. It was once the norm to build every room with an 8' ceiling- that was all of the headroom most any person needed. Then they found out that if they vaulted those ceilings- bam- it gives the appearance of more space! (It does give more volume- not more floor space). Which is why HGTV is making millions developing shows that renovate living spaces by opening them up- square footage isn't changed at all- but people are lining up to do it!

We have yet to sail the Vista, but have booked the Horizon in April- mainly because Europe is on my bucket list and the price was right. Perhaps I will be disappointed in the ship. I am not sure. I can say that I was disappointed with the changes they made between the Dream and the Breeze. I love the Dream, the Breeze seemed closed in to me. It was not enough of an issue to impact my overall experience- just that if those two ships were sitting side by side, going to the same location, I'd get on the Dream every single time.

Thats interesting..... I have cruised on the Breeze and out of 12 past cruises on Carnival....that was my #1 cruise and favorite ship. Didn't realize the Dream and Breeze differed that much (internally) being same class of ship

We are on the Vista next week. I've read negative reviews of every ship we have sailed on, yet I've not experienced any of the issues all those negative comments detailed. Maybe we are too easy to please, but I fully expect we will enjoy our cruise.

We too feel the exact same way!! Just looking for some fun and relaxation and a few cocktails (of course!!)

We are also on this cruise!! Should be a great time and weather looks like its going to be wonderful all week!

I think a lot of the feedback relates to ship size whether passengers realize it or not. Most Carnival passengers have been used to ships that have 2k+ passengers, but the trend has been to ships that have a higher concentration of passengers (note I didn't say larger ships). Carnival's newer ships are approaching 4k passenger capacity. IMHO, that larger size ship offers a very different passenger experience than the mid-sized ships most Carnival passengers are used to. While those 4k passenger ships offer much greater profitability prospect for Carnival, the passenger experience is very different. I think it's reasonable many passengers may not care for the newer, higher capacity ships, but some others may. Some people are just more comfortable than others in a high density environment.

This. Well said.

The ships aren't getting much bigger, but the passenger counts are. So the space to passenger ratio is pretty terrible. I'm looking forward to the 180k ton ships to see what Carnival can do.

The devil is in the details. When large public spaces like the Havana are cordoned off - the size/passenger ratio is effectively very different for those in and out.

I also think things like an 8 story Atrium and two story dining room create the impression of more space even though filling in that airspace with floor space would actually be better with respect to crowded on paper. When I step in to these towering areas, I think “this ship has space to burn” and I feel less crowded.

Have you sailed Oasis class? All that towering open space is great, lots of people and no real need for extra passenger floor space.

We just returned from a Vista cruise Sunday, and we had the best cruise! I agree that there were too many chairs in the Liquid and Limelight Lounges, but that was our only negative. The check in for YTD. A plus for us. We'd check in on 5, then down to 3 and be seated immediately. The cruise director was the BEST we've had on all our cruise. He's headed to the Breeze in a few weeks, so we look forward to cruising with him in February. I was really touched and impressed with the Veteran's Day celebration on November 11! They have a gathering on all cruises to honor the military and their families, but on Veteran's Day it was especially nice!! I'd definitely cruise on the Vista and Horizan. Just put me on another cruise!!!!

While I was on the 11/4 sailing my complaints have nothing to do with crowd size. My focus is on the issues the ship is having already. I as well as one other person that I know of had wet carpet inside their door. And I'm not talking damp, I mean puddled. I never made a deal of it and it was resolved about 4 days into the cruise, but from what I had heard they had leaking pipes. Also their was condensation in different inside areas. Point being with this issues while they may seem minor could result in mold in their future. I wish I could post a picture of the water drops all over the ceiling. And still not sure as to what they were fixing while we were delayed leaving Miami. Heard several rumors but not sure which was the case. Yes the lido food was bad and the atruim is blah and the liquid lounge is like the Sunshine, however I would sail the Sunshine again. My main reason to not go on the Vista or Horizon is there is not enough wow and change to justify the price again at this point. Reguardless of the faults it was a great cruise because I always have a great time.

The Miami departure delay was due to divers working on the starboard front thrusters.

These have been in repair for 2 weeks, or 3, prior to the 11/4 departure.

I was on the 11/4 cruise and have pics of the divers exiting the water in port. Further, when we took the BTF tour I️ saw crates below deck specifically labeled “do not remove - thruster parts” in a large wood crate.

The Vista also took on repair crews (divers) while in Aruba.

Hope this helps.

In our 13 years of cruising we’ve been fortunate to go on 25 cruises. The Breeze is our favorite and the Vista our least favorite. It’s the only ship my wife and I disliked. We’ve not had a bad cruise. Our Costa experience was not that great but as far as ships go the Vista is not well designed. Vista is the queen of Carnival cutbacks. Very poor layout, only plus is décor and Havana area. No Horizon for us anytime soon. Give me an Oasis class any day over Vista.

We will never sail on the Vista again! Of all the ships we have been on 15+ dating back to the Celebration and all the major lines in the Caribbean the Vista has to be the worst ship we have ever been on. I expect a Cruise ship to have class and style, the vista has neither. For the most part it is a floating mid-class hotel. It was designed to maximize profit and minimize expense. The dining room was the biggest let down. If you did not sign up early enough to get seating in the main dinning room, which is about a about a third the size of the general dining room. There was a 250 person waiting list the first night for seating in the main dinning room. If you didn’t get seating in the main dinning room you had to use the get number and wait dinning room you were basically eating at a mid class restaurant most nights. No table cloth, folded napkin, extra flat wear or china. The service was very hit or miss, some night it was good and some nights it was very bad. One of the reasons we go on cruses is to have a week of being in world class hotel, great service, great ambiance, great food. The Vista provided none of those. We were on the Oasis of the Seas the year before and t about a third the size of the general dining rooms difference was night and day. The Oasis of the Seas was a joy to be on, just to be on the ship. The Vista was just a way to get from one place to another and was not a very big part of enjoying the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thats interesting..... I have cruised on the Breeze and out of 12 past cruises on Carnival....that was my #1 cruise and favorite ship. Didn't realize the Dream and Breeze differed that much (internally) being same class of ship

The overall layout is the same- with slight changes. For me- those changes "seemed" to make me feel more closed in. I know the ships are the same class/size- that was really my point. Something about it just didn't set well with me. I do love the Mezul (sp?) mud room in the spa of the Dream that the Breeze doesn't have.

OP I will look forward to your thoughts on the second cruise. We are booked for 2019 in a Havana cabin and for us it will be our first "big" ship, it's close to our home so easy to get to, and we mainly just want to celebrate my birthday, relax and visit the Caribbean. So I think it will be fine. We are not big show watchers so I'm not too concerned about that -- I am more concerned about the long lines at the bars! :)

OP I will look forward to your thoughts on the second cruise. We are booked for 2019 in a Havana cabin and for us it will be our first "big" ship, it's close to our home so easy to get to, and we mainly just want to celebrate my birthday, relax and visit the Caribbean. So I think it will be fine. We are not big show watchers so I'm not too concerned about that -- I am more concerned about the long lines at the bars! :)

You are a carbon copy of us (lol)!!!! Watch for my review/comments week of 11/27

In our 13 years of cruising we’ve been fortunate to go on 25 cruises. The Breeze is our favorite and the Vista our least favorite. It’s the only ship my wife and I disliked. We’ve not had a bad cruise. Our Costa experience was not that great but as far as ships go the Vista is not well designed. Vista is the queen of Carnival cutbacks. Very poor layout, only plus is décor and Havana area. No Horizon for us anytime soon. Give me an Oasis class any day over Vista.

Thats why I booked Havana.... both last time and this time. WE enjoy the ship...and actually liked the flow of the ship... Everyone has their own perspective and we should all respect that. I do not like RCCL.... you may look at that comment with utter shock... but I felt I was on a island on board the ship. Regardless...A cruise is a cruise....just happy to be going somewhere...its what you make of it!!

We will never sail on the Vista again! Of all the ships we have been on 15+ dating back to the Celebration and all the major lines in the Caribbean the Vista has to be the worst ship we have ever been on. I expect a Cruise ship to have class and style, the vista has neither. For the most part it is a floating mid-class hotel. It was designed to maximize profit and minimize expense. The dining room was the biggest let down. If you did not sign up early enough to get seating in the main dinning room, which is about a about a third the size of the general dining room. There was a 250 person waiting list the first night for seating in the main dinning room. If you didn’t get seating in the main dinning room you had to use the get number and wait dinning room you were basically eating at a mid class restaurant most nights. No table cloth, folded napkin, extra flat wear or china. The service was very hit or miss, some night it was good and some nights it was very bad. One of the reasons we go on cruses is to have a week of being in world class hotel, great service, great ambiance, great food. The Vista provided none of those. We were on the Oasis of the Seas the year before and t about a third the size of the general dining rooms difference was night and day. The Oasis of the Seas was a joy to be on, just to be on the ship. The Vista was just a way to get from one place to another and was not a very big part of enjoying the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Class and style has never been Carnivals MO.... budget conscience and fun...is their motto. I disagree with you on the style...but thats my opinion like yours. Theres a reason we are back on her next week for the 2nd time. You should probably stick to Celebrity if your looking for higher level service.... Regardless....I am thrilled to cruise. Best vacation value in my opinion. If I wanted consistent World Class service, ambiance, food .... Cunard and other high end cruiselines would be the choice. Thanks for your comments

The check in for YTD. A plus for us. We'd check in on 5, then down to 3 and be seated immediately.

That was our experience with YTD also. We'd show up -- and only one person in our party would get in the actual check-in line -- and the lady handed us a printed table assignment right there; we never had to go to the kiosk. We walked over and down to Deck 3 aft and were seated immediately. The system even worked when we tied three staterooms together for a large table, and also when we all requested to be seated in a certain waiter's section. Also, the distance between the check-in kiosk and the MDR really isn't that far, easily walkable in 60-90 seconds if you take the stairs down.

OK, I give up ...."the appearance of space" is important? Really? We are talking about totally useless space (open atriums), yet to see it used for anything other than hanging flags and Christmas decorations. Open space ratio is almost as meaningless. Sailed the Vista twice, booked on the Horizon, think they are the best ships in the fleet.

People complained that the Vista class was another copy of the Conquest class and the Dream class. They are evolutions (larger) of the same them, the theme that works. Much rather sail on them than the mega amusement parks of the seas that have a very limited port availability.

LOL, you say you don't want to spread rumors...then say you heard they had leaking pipes.... when did you talk to the engineers? What IS in the area you describe is that each cabin has its own AC unit (and the reason for the lack of the additional closet). Sailed on the Vista twice and saw zero leaky pipes.... of my 35 Carnival cruises, I have never seen differences in lido food, what was bad or blah compared to other Carnival ships?

complained that the Vista class was another copy of the Conquest class and the Dream class. They are evolutions (larger) of the same them, the theme that works. Much rather sail on them than the mega amusement parks of the seas that have a very limited port availability.

I haven’t heard that people were comparing them to Conquest Class. Whoever thought that needs their head examined because they don’t even resemble that class of ship in the least. Haven’t been on Dream class, but from the pictures I can see where it is probably more similar to that.

Class and style has never been Carnivals MO.... budget conscience and fun...is their motto. I disagree with you on the style...but thats my opinion like yours. Theres a reason we are back on her next week for the 2nd time. You should probably stick to Celebrity if your looking for higher level service.... Regardless....I am thrilled to cruise. Best vacation value in my opinion. If I wanted consistent World Class service, ambiance, food .... Cunard and other high end cruiselines would be the choice. Thanks for your comments

Describe class and style from a cruise ship perspective for me so I know in the future......

I haven’t heard that people were comparing them to Conquest Class. Whoever thought that needs their head examined because they don’t even resemble that class of ship in the least. Haven’t been on Dream class, but from the pictures I can see where it is probably more similar to that.

Many here did when the both these classes came out, carbon copy, no innovations blah, blah blah. Can't believe you never sailed on a Dream class ship... You should come on our Journey cruise next year on the Breeze.

I liked the ship. We were on 11/4 sailing. The spa is smaller, but, overall there’s much to each at and see. The only negative I have personally is I got gastrointestinal virus on Monday thru Saturday. The staff in medical dept doesn’t care about at all. I told them , the meds they gave me were not working. They said that’s all u get. I still have it 10 days later. My stewardess was so sweet , she worried about me. Room service also, had limited selection. The ship from what I saw was pretty.