T-shirts in MDR???

riffatsea

Well said. Agree 100%. But, I do like to see enforcement of no flip flops, sweats, and other mentioned by Princess as unacceptable in DR's.

For men, is wearing a casual sandal like Keen or Merrrell, acceptable for dining in the MDR? Non and Formal Nights.

I hope that is a joke post - but yes, without socks

And a sidenote - just before every cruise I get a pedicure so my feet/toes could easily win a best male feet competition.

and I usually do a clearcoat for the toenails, but not always???:evilsmile:

I would love this thread to be posted on the Cunard Section of CC. It would be red hot.:cool: You know some of those Cunarders wear Jacket and tie for breakfast, true, seen it on QM2 in March. But there were T shirts in there too, much to the disgust of the Cunarders doing the World Cruise from UK. I can lip read you know.

Just returned from 28 days on Emerald Princess. Talk around the ship was that several people were turned away from MDR for inappropriate dress. Personally, I spoke with the Matre 'd and thanked him for enforcing the dress code.

Good post, finally a Maitre'D who has the guts to enforce dress code/policy.

Good post, finally a Maitre'D who has the guts to enforce dress code/policy.

You might be making more out of this than it really is. The MD may have simply been turning away shorts, sleeveless T's, flip flops, scruffy jeans, etc. Things that are expressly unacceptable in the policy - which is great for them to cover. Doesn't take much guts for that. And doesn't mean MD was enforcing tuxes and dark suits - which they wouldn't do anyway as it is not something to enforce.

You might be making more out of this than it really is. The MD may have simply been turning away shorts, sleeveless T's, flip flops, scruffy jeans, etc. Things that are expressly unacceptable in the policy - which is great for them to cover. Doesn't take much guts for that. And doesn't mean MD was enforcing tuxes and dark suits - which they wouldn't do anyway as it is not something to enforce.

That's what I suspected was meant by the comment. Anything more than that would be jeopardizing his career because of disgruntled passengers constantly complaining.

No matter what they print in the Patter, T shirts have always been acceptable to wear at breakfast, lunch & dinner no matter what some of the posters claim.

I've been doing so for many years & have even given up on the wearing the Polo shirt at dinner with a pair of jeans. ( on casual evenings)

They're so much more comfortable & no one cares either way if they have a collar or not.

And open neck shirt doesn't %100 apply to "collar". Most nights I'll wear a T shirt in the MDR though I do go formal for formal nights. I've never seen anyone turned away or heard of it except for these boards and I've never had negative feedback for wearing a T to dinner. In short, I believe what you've said to be correct.

OP, bringing up the topic is usually a magnet of personal opinions as opposed to reality. Don't even mention formal :p I mean I like it and go formal though I don't put down people who don't.

For men, is wearing a casual sandal like Keen or Merrrell, acceptable for dining in the MDR? Non and Formal Nights.

Yes because I have done it before I had to wear special shoes due to foot problems. I now wear special athletic shoes to all evening meals in the MDR. In the past I have worn flip flops (shower shoes in my day) on non-formal nights without any problem. Sometime see what the women are wearing on formal nights on their feet - flip flops with something fancy on them!

I have seen a lot of men in tshirts in the MDR on non-formal nights. I still wear my polo with a pair of jeans. Last cruise a few weeks ago I saw two older men walk in wearing shorts for early TD. They sat at the table near ours and of course had on tshirts. I also saw men wearing hats both during casual and formal nights and they did not remove them during dinner. I suppose these are the new "standards".

And open neck shirt doesn't %100 apply to "collar". Most nights I'll wear a T shirt in the MDR though I do go formal for formal nights. I've never seen anyone turned away or heard of it except for these boards and I've never had negative feedback for wearing a T to dinner. In short, I believe what you've said to be correct.

OP, bringing up the topic is usually a magnet of personal opinions as opposed to reality. Don't even mention formal :p I mean I like it and go formal though I don't put down people who don't.

Actually the only type of T shirt I haven't seen for dinner have been the sleeveless type. They seem to draw the line ( at least on the cruises we've been on) with wearing them.

Yes because I have done it before I had to wear special shoes due to foot problems. I now wear special athletic shoes to all evening meals in the MDR. In the past I have worn flip flops (shower shoes in my day) on non-formal nights without any problem. Sometime see what the women are wearing on formal nights on their feet - flip flops with something fancy on them!

I have seen a lot of men in tshirts in the MDR on non-formal nights. I still wear my polo with a pair of jeans. Last cruise a few weeks ago I saw two older men walk in wearing shorts for early TD. They sat at the table near ours and of course had on tshirts. I also saw men wearing hats both during casual and formal nights and they did not remove them during dinner. I suppose these are the new "standards".

Pretty slack. Caribbean cruises ?