T-shirts in MDR???

riffatsea

Just to be clear, I have never worn a tee shirt during dinner in the MDR on our twenty-seven cruises, but that is my choice. I fail to understand why so many folks get their knickers in a knot over how others choose to dress!

I've been reading this thread for a few days and want to comment on an earlier post that posed the question "why does it matter to me what someone else wears in the MDR"?

To begin. Due to the nature of cruising and the confined spaces a sea cruise is a communal experience. How other passengers conduct themselves either at the elevators, the bars, the hall ways and the MDR does impact my experience. I have seen countless self absorbed acts. Thankfully I have seen many more acts of kindness and politeness. Nevertheless, the point that another passenger's behavior can impact my experience is true for me and I believe true for many others.

Princess Cruise Lines offers a product that is clearly described to the potential buyer. That description includes a MDR experience that includes both a formal and smart casual dining experience. This is the product marketed by Princess and based on that description the product I purchased.

As such, when I enter the MDR on formal night wearing my suit and tie, and share a table with someone wearing a ball cap, T-shirt, etc. it does negatively impact my experience because it is not the product I purchased. If I had wanted a very causal MDR experience every night I would have selected a cruise line that offered that product.

And if you wanted a totally formal atmosphere where everyone is dressed in tuxes and other formal dress then you should have selected a cruise line that offered that product. Princess no longer provides that atmosphere. There are still a few that would meet your requirements according to some who post here.

If I were seated with passengers wearing t shirts and ball caps, I would simply ask for another table assignment. I agree with the other poster that my expectations on Princess are what they promote in their literature. It does NOT promote t shirts and ball caps in the MDR at dinner either on smart casual or formal nights. It is high time Princess require passengers to dress per the guidelines. Send the t-shirt and ball cap wearers packing.

And if you wanted a totally formal atmosphere where everyone is dressed in tuxes and other formal dress then you should have selected a cruise line that offered that product. Princess no longer provides that atmosphere. There are still a few that would meet your requirements according to some who post here. /QUOTE]

No evidence that he wants a "totally formal" atmosphere. He just wants passengers to avoid ball caps and t-shirts in the MDR at dinner.

If I were seated with passengers wearing t shirts and ball caps, I would simply ask for another table assignment. I agree with the other poster that my expectations on Princess are what they promote in their literature. It does NOT promote t shirts and ball caps in the MDR at dinner either on smart casual or formal nights. It is high time Princess require passengers to dress per the guidelines. Send the t-shirt and ball cap wearers packing.

So what difference does the style of the of the shirt really make? :confused:

A shirt is a shirt.

As long as it's clean & doesn't reek of sweat it's fine to wear.

At least on Princess.

we went to the MDR for lunch on embarkation day - I had on a visor, was asked to take it off, and I did.

"formal night" - long sleeve shirt, and black linen pants - was asked by hostess to see my cruise card, which happens to be platinum - a Princess staff member called us in and directed us to our table, were sitting next to us was a dude in a short sleeve golf shirt.

got to thinking about that hostess, and wondered what would have happened if say I had a blue, ruby, or gold card.....

Next night, smart casual in the MDR - saw a dude in a cutoff hoodie type shirt

meh

we went to the MDR for lunch on embarkation day - I had on a visor, was asked to take it off, and I did.

"formal night" - long sleeve shirt, and black linen pants - was asked by hostess to see my cruise card, which happens to be platinum - a Princess staff member called us in and directed us to our table, were sitting next to us was a dude in a short sleeve golf shirt.

got to thinking about that hostess, and wondered what would have happened if say I had a blue, ruby, or gold card.....

Next night, smart casual in the MDR - saw a dude in a cutoff hoodie type shirt

meh

What difference does it make.....I think the attitude that many people wear on formal nights is much worse then the type of dress people choose.

And if you wanted a totally formal atmosphere where everyone is dressed in tuxes and other formal dress then you should have selected a cruise line that offered that product. Princess no longer provides that atmosphere. There are still a few that would meet your requirements according to some who post here. /QUOTE]

No evidence that he wants a "totally formal" atmosphere. He just wants passengers to avoid ball caps and t-shirts in the MDR at dinner.

Better reread the last sentence on that post as it indicates otherwise.

Amazing to see this thread still going waaay after I got my info and said that DH will be wearing an appropriate shirt with a collar to the MDR.

It is interesting to read though that some people equate casual clothing with "lower standards" implying some sort of hierarchy to clothing styles.

It would seem to me that there are just different standards and one is not "higher" than another. The higher/lower division makes for a "we are better than them" attitude which is sort of sad for an activity like cruising which is supposed to be fun.

It's a bit funny to read that because in many places cruisers in general (on any cruise line) are considered to be lower level tourists than those who go on land and actually stay in the places they are visiting but that is a totally different discussion.

Amazing to see this thread still going waaay after I got my info and said that DH will be wearing an appropriate shirt with a collar to the MDR.

It is interesting to read though that some people equate casual clothing with "lower standards" implying some sort of hierarchy to clothing styles.

It would seem to me that there are just different standards and one is not "higher" than another. The higher/lower division makes for a "we are better than them" attitude which is sort of sad for an activity like cruising which is supposed to be fun.

It's a bit funny to read that because in many places cruisers in general (on any cruise line) are considered to be lower level tourists than those who go on land and actually stay in the places they are visiting but that is a totally different discussion.

Actually, I think it's a perfect example of the 10/10/80 rule. There are 10% of people on this board that believe they should be able to wear whatever they want, whenever they want and look down on those that believe the standards should be something higher. Then there are 10% of people on here that think if you don't want to dress to the max for all occasions, they look down at you. Then, there are the 80% of people like me that dress how we feel is "Appropriate" for the occasion and really don't care how others decide to present themselves. Yes, I dress to the nines on formal nights and a stylish casual look on the other nights...I may even be caught with a tie (at Christmas time anyway with reindeer or such) in a specialty restaurant on a non-formal night. If you want to make faces at me, fine. I really don't care how others perceive my sense of "dressing for the occasion".

It makes no difference to me in the anytime dining rooms.

Now, we don't do Traditional dining, so maybe it is/should be more enforced for those people wanting the "old" way?

People should not equate "traditional dining" with type of dress. The term "traditional dining" relates only to the scheduling. The so-called "old way" was two set dining times - early and late. When cruise lines began to introduce flexible, on-demand, dining option ("Anytime", "My Time", etc), the existing setup was termed "traditional".

There is no difference in atmosphere, menu selections, or dress code. So it is incorrect to conflate "old" style dress with traditional dining. There are folks preferring formal wear and folks who prefer more smart casual that have both dining preferences.

That is your opinion. I stick by my opinion.:cool:

I might be persuaded that more late diners tend to prefer traditional time and more to the letter of the dress code. But there aren't any real statistics, so what does it matter? Dining time preferences shouldn't be conflated with choice of dress. Anyway, you have yours, I have mine, and others have theirs. Makes the world go round.

Actually, I think it's a perfect example of the 10/10/80 rule. There are 10% of people on this board that believe they should be able to wear whatever they want, whenever they want and look down on those that believe the standards should be something higher. Then there are 10% of people on here that think if you don't want to dress to the max for all occasions, they look down at you. Then, there are the 80% of people like me that dress how we feel is "Appropriate" for the occasion and really don't care how others decide to present themselves. Yes, I dress to the nines on formal nights and a stylish casual look on the other nights...I may even be caught with a tie (at Christmas time anyway with reindeer or such) in a specialty restaurant on a non-formal night. If you want to make faces at me, fine. I really don't care how others perceive my sense of "dressing for the occasion".

That's what's so nice about Princess. People are given the opportunity to choose the style of dress that's appropriate for what they consider correct on pretty much any night in the DR..

That's what's so nice about Princess. People are given the opportunity to choose the style of dress that's appropriate for what they consider correct on pretty much any night in the DR..

Well said. Agree 100%. But, I do like to see enforcement of no flip flops, sweats, and other mentioned by Princess as unacceptable in DR's.

Well said. Agree 100%. But, I do like to see enforcement of no flip flops, sweats, and other mentioned by Princess as unacceptable in DR's.

Princess does give quite a bit of leeway on all evenings & most normal people don't seem to have a problem with their decisions.

Currently on the Royal it appears that most people seem to be leaning towards dressing up.

There were only a dozen or so people choosing to dress down on the last formal night. :confused:

Tonight there might be even more people dressing up since it's Thanksgiving but I'll pass it up for the buffet where I can get to sample a little of everything. :D

Any thing goes these days.... we have decided to go to the Crown Grill on formal nights, we dress formal and make it special. Other days, we simply stick with the buffet late afternoon, do fish and chips when it is offered.... and skip the MDR entirely.... we are happy with 2 meals a day, room service for breakfast and a late lunch from the buffet.