T-shirts in MDR???

riffatsea

Yes, on some other ships he has worn his t shirt into the MDR for dinner on NON formal nights.

"Dressing properly" is different in different cities . There is not one standard for that throughout the USA.

I am glad that my fellow San Diegan understood what the "norm" is in our city.

I have seen Saturday night weddings here where guests wore everything from long gowns to shorts!! The person who wore the shorts explained,"We just came from our boat"!!

I can see that the consensus on here is that DH should wear a collared shirt to dinner in the MDR and I am sure he will do just that.

No worries! We won't upset the other diners with our clothing.

Thanks again for your very polite replies!!

Here in Chico it gets hot in the summer. I have gone to the spendiest restaurant in town wearing nice shorts, Birkenstocks, and a nice Tommy Bahama. I was not out of place. It was 111 degrees outside. However, it's air conditioned on the ship so it's not a problem for me to dress appropriately under the Princess standards. Enjoy your cruise. :D

Here is how are three grandchildren were dressed on a formal night on the Regal Princess a couple of weeks ago.

On non formal nights they wore collared shirts. We are trying to teach them how to dress correctly.

26621527179_02ee1d28ca_z.jpg_2389 by Howard , on Flickr

T shirts for dinner you can always go to Horizon Court

Howard

Classy kids learning well from classy Grandparents. Well done! When we were that age, everywhere(out on the town) we went we were expected to dress that way. Pretty much still do!

When we go the MDR we stick to the policy. But to be honest I don’t pay a lot of attention to other diners. We like to dress up and other cruiser’s attire doesn’t affect us. I do often notice when a woman is formally dressed since I love to see the pretty gowns. We tend to sit at tables for two so maybe that’s why I don’t care what others wear. It’s interesting because we recently cruised with friends and they were very bothered by other’s attire. Different strokes for different folks!;)

You alone can decide the best way to deal with the dress code but if we were on the same cruise we wouldn’t be affected by your choice.

He can certainly wear the tee shirts for dinners in the Horizon Court, in the pool area (the pizzeria and outdoor grill) and if eating from the International Cafe (it's not an enclosed venue, but it offers light fare and some will eat right there in the Grand Atrium, and others will take their plates to the pool area, their cabins, or a lounge to eat.

I would like to think that passengers would treat the dinners in the MDRs as a special experience. On smart casual nights, my hubby will wear tropical shirts and slacks, and I usually will wear a skirt and nice top or a sundress.

If we didn't feel like dressing up, we would eat in the Horizon.

Just returned from 28 days on Emerald Princess. Talk around the ship was that several people were turned away from MDR for inappropriate dress. Personally, I spoke with the Matre 'd and thanked him for enforcing the dress code.

Thrak, you are a reasonable guy and I know you dress up on formal nights. So I trust your answers. Were you aware of the reason for turn-aways? Were they mostly on smart casual or formal nights? We all know Princess has explicit items not allowed anytime in DR, so was it those things as opposed to lack of suit and tie on formal night? Thanks.

I continue to be impressed with how polite and friendly everyone has been!

I appreciate that very much! I am glad we booked our Panama Canal cruise here on Princess!!

No popcorn necessary!! The movie is just about over!

I enjoy watching the fashion parade on Formal Night. Especially looking at the women who are dressed to the nines, in their cocktail dresses, mini’s, and high heels. It’s usually very pleasing to the eyes , and a visual treat. ;) :)

So, I don’t mind what PAX’s choose to wear for diner in the MDR. I still enjoy my meal. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, on some other ships he has worn his t shirt into the MDR for dinner on NON formal nights.

"Dressing properly" is different in different cities . There is not one standard for that throughout the USA.

I am glad that my fellow San Diegan understood what the "norm" is in our city.

I have seen Saturday night weddings here where guests wore everything from long gowns to shorts!! The person who wore the shorts explained,"We just came from our boat"!!

I can see that the consensus on here is that DH should wear a collared shirt to dinner in the MDR and I am sure he will do just that.

No worries! We won't upset the other diners with our clothing.

Thanks again for your very polite replies!!

Then just follow the posted Princess Dress code and stop trying to justify something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Get ready for a bunch of people to tell you "no" and a bunch of people to tell you "yes". The subject of attire in the MDR is one of the most contentious on this board.

My personal opinion is that a button up shirt is more appropriate for dinner in the MDR. Will your husband be turned away if he arrives in a t-shirt as described? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not. Seems to depend on how seriously the dining team on any given ship takes the dress code.

Tee shirts OK at breakfast and Lunch but not at dinner unless worn under a collared shirt

Too bad! Up until now the posts have been helpful and polite and I really appreciated the feedback.

Perhaps I should ask for this thread to be closed since I have gotten the info I asked about and have already said DH will wear a "proper" shirt.

BTW we are the opposite of what most people would think of as "rednecks".

Too bad! Up until now the posts have been helpful and polite and I really appreciated the feedback.

Perhaps I should ask for this thread to be closed since I have gotten the info I asked about and have already said DH will wear a "proper" shirt.

To some on here everyone who does not meet their standards of dress and where they choose to eat are "REDNECKS". It is their way to insult everyone that they look down on.

I was, pleasantly, surprised that I got through two full pages without reading a snarky post. Some people can't contain themselves. Dress is a personal thing as well as local custom. Times have changed. I remember dressing up in suits to go to a nice restaurant. We also wore those suits when flying; taking our hats off when entering a building; and saying ma'am and sir to people. I still do the latter two, just out of habit and training. I think, once the stick is removed, people will find out it is just not that serious a topic.:)

Edited by LarryL

Riffatsea, I am happy that you have booked the Princess cruise and hope that you enjoy it.

I am sorry that the HAL thread deteriorated so badly. Unfortunately, there were posters on there that just wanted to argue for argument's sake and enjoyed stirring the pot.

I doubt that they have ever set foot on a HAL ship and had no idea of what a HAL cruise experience is actually like. Others just want to argue that the HAL experience should be exactly like the experience they have had on another cruiseline or in what they are familiar with in their everyday life.

Some of their kindred spirits are now starting to appear on this thread and I expect the thread to rapidly deteriorate.

One travels to experience and learn new things. Customs are different from what one is familiar with at home.

I cruise both HAL and Princess. Both cruiselines are very similar in the targeted marketing demographic and on board experience. HAL is a bit more quiet (i.e., no loud poolside music) and entertainment is more like hanging out in Lincoln Center as oppose to Broadway.

Riffatsea, I am happy that you have booked the Princess cruise and hope that you enjoy it.

I am sorry that the HAL thread deteriorated so badly. Unfortunately, there were posters on there that just wanted to argue for argument's sake and enjoyed stirring the pot.

I doubt that they have ever set foot on a HAL ship and had no idea of what a HAL cruise experience is actually like. Others just want to argue that the HAL experience should be exactly like the experience they have had on another cruiseline or in what they are familiar with in their everyday life.

Some of their kindred spirits are now starting to appear on this thread and I expect the thread to rapidly deteriorate.

One travels to experience and learn new things. Customs are different from what one is familiar with at home.

I cruise both HAL and Princess. Both cruiselines are very similar in the targeted marketing demographic and on board experience. HAL is a bit more quiet (i.e., no loud poolside music) and entertainment is more like hanging out in Lincoln Center as oppose to Broadway.

Since you cruise both Princess and HAL:

Is HAL demographics skewed towards the more “mature” 70’s+ PAXs.

and thus, have a stricter dress code and enforcement than Princess?

Does HAL offer Zumba on sea days, like Princess? I would like to try HAL but only if they have Zumba or similar cardio fitness program. :)

Thank you,

Edited by Kingofcool1947