Just off the Star - random thoughts

JF - retired RRT

There were several things that happened on the Star recently that tie in with many of the threads that seem to take on a life of their own.

1) Entrées in the MDR

Yes, you can have more than one. The people at a table near us ordered mussels in addition to their main course.

I asked our waiter one night what he thought of the Curtis Stone Pork Belly and he said (n). When I asked if I could have a sample, he brought me the whole meal in addition to the main that I ended up ordering and he was right (n), but the applesauce that came with it was excellent.;)

2) Butter on the table? Yes. If we used up the first 2, they were immediately replenished (which wasn't necessary, we didn't use them).

3) This was a 15 day HI cruise and on the way back we had 2 time changes in one day!! :eek: One at midnight and one at noon, very disorienting.

4) Nifty idea

Every table in the buffet had a wrought iron holder big enough to hold approx. 6 sets of silverware rolled up in the napkin. Always plenty of silverware on the table and wasn't in the way if you didn't need it.

5) Margarine?

Not in the buffet. I finally spotted some almost at the end of the cruise. There was one bowl of it in the area near the cheeses. I wasn't really looking for margarine, but just noticed there weren't the usual double bowls, one with butter and one with margarine at multiple locations throughout the buffet.

6) We were actually doing a B2B to (Cabo first for 5 days) and on the last night of the 5 day the menu didn't call the Baked Alaska...Baked Alaska. It was called "ice cream bombé". I don't know if this is new or not, never noticed it before because I'm one of those people who tried it once and wasn't impressed.

7) Specialty restaurant $10 entrée?

Yes.

Like I said...random thoughts.

YMMV;p

3) This was a 15 day HI cruise and on the way back we had 2 time changes in one day!! :eek: One at midnight and one at noon, very disorienting.

YMMV;p

From the Patters, bottom of the page on each date mentioned:

Time Change: Ship's clock will be set one hour forward at Noon today Thursday, 23rd November.

Time Change: Ship's clock will be set one hour forward at Noon today Sunday, 26th November.

If you moved your clock at midnight on one of those days then I would say you must have been really disoriented :D.

There were several things that happened on the Star recently that tie in with many of the threads that seem to take on a life of their own.

1) Entrées in the MDR

Yes, you can have more than one. The people at a table near us ordered mussels in addition to their main course.

I asked our waiter one night what he thought of the Curtis Stone Pork Belly and he said (n). When I asked if I could have a sample, he brought me the whole meal in addition to the main that I ended up ordering and he was right (n), but the applesauce that came with it was excellent.;)

2) Butter on the table? Yes. If we used up the first 2, they were immediately replenished (which wasn't necessary, we didn't use them).

4) Nifty idea

Every table in the buffet had a wrought iron holder big enough to hold approx. 6 sets of silverware rolled up in the napkin. Always plenty of silverware on the table and wasn't in the way if you didn't need it.

5) Margarine?

Not in the buffet. I finally spotted some almost at the end of the cruise. There was one bowl of it in the area near the cheeses. I wasn't really looking for margarine, but just noticed there weren't the usual double bowls, one with butter and one with margarine at multiple locations throughout the buffet.

6) We were actually doing a B2B to (Cabo first for 5 days) and on the last night of the 5 day the menu didn't call the Baked Alaska...Baked Alaska. It was called "ice cream bombé". I don't know if this is new or not, never noticed it before because I'm one of those people who tried it once and wasn't impressed.

7) Specialty restaurant $10 entrée?

Yes.

YMMV;p

Its nice to hear some positive things about a ship, especially if I'm going to sail aboard the Star next year. Thanks for your random thoughts!;)

From the Patters, bottom of the page on each date mentioned:

Time Change: Ship's clock will be set one hour forward at Noon today Thursday, 23rd November.

Time Change: Ship's clock will be set one hour forward at Noon today Sunday, 26th November.

If you moved your clock at midnight on one of those days then I would say you must have been really disoriented :D.

As I remember (I’d have to check the Patter), the time change was at midnight sailing to Hawaii when we gained an hour. The time change was at Noon on the sea days sailing to Ensenada when we lost an hour. At first, I thought this would be weird but it really worked well.

I liked the napkin bin on the tables in the buffet and at the Lido deck tables. It worked very well and probably saved time and effort by both staff and passengers.

9609d84c1d80c3f9c33c6c5a0bad9444.jpg

As I remember (I’d have to check the Patter), the time change was at midnight sailing to Hawaii when we gained an hour. The time change was at Noon on the sea days sailing to Ensenada when we lost an hour. At first, I thought this would be weird but it really worked well.

My time quotes are from the Patters. There were two changes going and two changes on return. Tiki Dave mentioned during our first Ukulele class on the way back that the day time changes on the way back were for the benefit of the day time crew staff so that they didn't lose any sleep time during the night. Made sense to us.

From the Patters, bottom of the front page on each date mentioned:

Time Change: Ship's clock will be set back at 2:00am between Thursday night, November 16 and Friday morning, November 17.

Time Change: Ship's clock will be set back at 2:00am between Saturday night, November 18 and Sunday morning, November 19.

I do not like the look of the holders for the silverware and napkins. This looks to be a great way to spread germs and virus. The only thing worse on the table is the salt and pepper shakers. This is why the first thing they do on a ship during an outbreak is remove the salt and pepper from the tables. Looks to me to be a cost cutting measure at the expense of sanitation.

I do not like the look of the holders for the silverware and napkins. This looks to be a great way to spread germs and virus. The only thing worse on the table is the salt and pepper shakers. This is why the first thing they do on a ship during an outbreak is remove the salt and pepper from the tables. Looks to me to be a cost cutting measure at the expense of sanitation.

Actually we found it a nice touch. Didn't need to wait for a wait staff person to bring the silverware bundle if it wasn't already set on the table as in the past. As far as "spreading germs and virus" have you not noticed the serving tongs and ladles all around the buffet? I'm thinking that your concern is misplaced. Also, not sure how this cut any costs. :confused:

I really liked the "bundles: What's the difference between that and having the silver sitting in a "bin" to pick out? I, also, appreciated that they were quick to take and deliver drink orders and cleaning tables as they were vacated so others could use tem.

At night long after the dining area was closed and cleaned, I would see crew sitting around a large table, rubber gloves on, wrapping the silver in napkins and visiting. It was nice to see them "enjoying" themselves for a minute and getting off their feet.