Live from Ruby Princess 12/9-12/16 Mexican Riviera

Steelers0854

Let us know how you like Peter Tredgett as CD. We had him once - on our very first cruise - and enjoyed him a lot. He seemed even better when we took our second cruise and had J J Ulrich. What a difference. Peter was funny and outgoing and J J was the absolute worst CD we have ever had.

Looking forward to more of your thread. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Yeah!!!! Veggie burgers. Glad to see some good vegetarian options!!!

Be careful what you ask for, MGA. A couple years ago we tried the Dining Room lunch on embarcation day, and my wife ordered the veggie burger. When it arrived she took one bite of it, and decided it was disgusting. One bite and she was done. Now, my wife likes good food as much as the next person, and she has a pretty broad palate. It was not a matter of being an unusual flavor. She would only describe it to me as disgusting. Now, it is entirely possible that the veggie burgers being delivered to Princess in San Pedro these days are from a different purveyor. So, the truth, these days, might be completely different.

And the Share menu. It is $39pp she told us the menu is incorrect. We are booked here for tomorrow night.

c2be6fb4993144bb5615d37ebc1aa165.jpg

They had a special promotion for the second anniversary of SHARE--$29 pp. It started early November, and I'd heard that it was ending "early December." It is unfortunate that you just missed it.

We were on the 10-day Ruby Princess cruise to the Sea of Cortez immediately prior to yours. We visited SHARE three times, and that was the menu we had. Between the two of us, the only thing we did not have from the above menu was the White Corn Veloute.

Thanks for posting the daily menus. Keep them coming!

BTW, Any issues with you getting more than two pats of butter? :)

Nope, as reported earlier, butter is alive and well in the MDR at dinner, full dishes. At breakfast and lunch they will serve you as much as you like, likely to make sure they dont waste any as they dont know how many people will show up.

Ahh being on a vacation is great, sleeping in and no alarms is definitely the way to go. I envy those that are retired and get to do this everyday!

Well I of course woke up before DW at about 6:30 and decided to start my day on the balcony. I grabbed the door handle in hopes of a warm tropical breeze and ran into a brisk wind, flat calm seas and clouds. Well we clearly haven't made it far enough south yet, so I ran back inside grabbed my sweatshirt and Kindle and headed back out. DW wasn't too far behind me and we were out the door at 7 for breakfast in the MDR. This is a rare treat as DW usually crashes til 8 and I have to drag her out of bed to get to the MDR before they stop serving breakfast.

We sat at a table with 3 solo cruisers and one other gentleman that left his sleeping wife in the cabin. We enjoyed our omelets and fruit platters before heading off and doing some walking around the ship. The outside temps remained cool all day today so we mostly stayed in doors. There wasn't much on the Patter that was interesting this morning so we mainly sat around and read before our 11am meet and greet in Skywalkers.

Mission Viejo Marilyn was so wonderful and organized an ornament exchange. She brought a wonderful little tree and decor and we each drew numbers when we dropped off an unwrapped ornament. We then did a white elephant exchange and had a great time. There were probably 40 of us there and about 20-25 ornaments so it was a fun little activity and DW and I ended up with 1 hand made beautiful fabric ornament and one set of bells for the door.

cf9c86eb0454c79e82c8e60e4995fa19.jpg

We met up with 2 other couples from the roll call as we all expressed an interest in playing cards with one another and decided to meet at 2pm. So we headed off to lunch in the MDR. I mean it has been like 4 hours since our last meal, so naturally we were practically starving!

I had the steak sandwich which was amazing, the bread was super soft and the meat was very tender and flavorful, best sandwich I have had in a while. DW got the Cobb salad and said the honey mustard dressing was a clear winner, we both love a good honey mustard but it can be hard to find the right balance, some are too sweet and others too mustardy.

We didn't have long after lunch before we met up with our new friends and so we sat and read for about an hour. We headed up to the pool deck at first because we had a hard time finding a large table. It was still cool and the football game on MUTS was on the loud side. So then we headed into the HC and found a great round table that fit our domino game very well. I am glad we met up with these 2 couples as we always enjoy playing cards or board games and it was a lot of fun learning a new game and enjoying their company.

Tonight is portrait night so we needed a few extra minutes to get ready. We are going to be running around like chickens with our heads cut off this evening. First its the PES lounge for a snack and drink (I am cheap and they have a few drinks that looked worth trying on the list), then right down stairs to Share for dinner. After dinner we have Carlos Oscar and hopefully squeezing in pictures sometime in there. I am really excited Carlos in on the trip, we have seen him before and he was great.

I grabbed a shot of the crab shack menu and it shows the nights its offered on board. Today’s pub lunch was free and VERY well attended.

446d5ee5f95311a3bf119af3f44ea07e.jpg

Also I saw someone ask about the wine packages, as I read elsewhere on CC and confirmed today those are only sold on 14 day and longer cruises.

Thanks xbguy. I will keep your wife’s remarks in mind when I am on the ship in March😀

Be careful what you ask for, MGA. A couple years ago we tried the Dining Room lunch on embarcation day, and my wife ordered the veggie burger. When it arrived she took one bite of it, and decided it was disgusting. One bite and she was done. Now, my wife likes good food as much as the next person, and she has a pretty broad palate. It was not a matter of being an unusual flavor. She would only describe it to me as disgusting. Now, it is entirely possible that the veggie burgers being delivered to Princess in San Pedro these days are from a different purveyor. So, the truth, these days, might be completely different.

They had a special promotion for the second anniversary of SHARE--$29 pp. It started early November, and I'd heard that it was ending "early December." It is unfortunate that you just missed it.

We were on the 10-day Ruby Princess cruise to the Sea of Cortez immediately prior to yours. We visited SHARE three times, and that was the menu we had. Between the two of us, the only thing we did not have from the above menu was the White Corn Veloute.

I ordered the veggie burger in Trident Grill once many cruises ago, and even though I took only one bite before tossing the rest, I still have psychological problems from it.

I ordered the veggie burger in Trident Grill once many cruises ago, and even though I took only one bite before tossing the rest, I still have psychological problems from it.

LOL. I will have to see!! As a vegetarian I can appreciate vege burgers better then a non vegetarian. But somethings are just awful. Will be prepared. Thanks!!!!!

LOL. I will have to see!! As a vegetarian I can appreciate vege burgers better then a non vegetarian. But somethings are just awful. Will be prepared. Thanks!!!!!
Report back! I would love to hear that my hairraising experience was just a fluke.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the daily menus. Keep them coming!

BTW, Any issues with you getting more than two pats of butter? :)

We were on the Ruby last month and the PSD director talked to us at our M&G. He told us he reads the Princess boards and was getting a real laugh about the great butter mystery. They throw away tons of butter each cruise because once it is on the table and not used, it has to be thrown away. So to reduce the amount of butter wasted, they only put a few on the table but he assured us that a pax can have all the butter they want just simply by asking for more. Personally I don't use the butter but my partner does so I can understand the issue.

We had a beautiful sunset and the weather has gotten slightly warmer.

9ab390d087b8589c40d39f427880e8b8.jpg

We headed to the PES lounge to grab a drink before dinner and then walked down 2 decks to Share. The Share space has a clean modern feel to it, DW commented that she felt like we are eating in someone’s home. The restaurant was never busy but about halfway through our dinner, 6:30 or so, they were about half full, with a mix of tables for 2 and some as large as 6 or 7.

We selected our options for each course and they pace of meal was good, we only had to wait a little while for the 5th course. We both felt it was one of the best meals we have had on a cruise, and definitely better than our first, and only, experience at the Crown Grill. All of my seafood was cooked perfectly, and the lamb loin was one of the best lamb dishes I have had. We were concerned we would leave hungry but both of us felt great when were done and were not hungry at all. The service was excellent. Now comes the real question though, would we go back? I have a hard time answering this one. At $39 it seems a little high to me. While we both really enjoyed our meal, and DW is the pickiest eater you have ever met, I cannot get over the price. At $29 I definitely would, I just don't know that Share deserves the increased cost. But if I have another free specialty dining credit like we did this time, I will definitely go to Share. Although DW and I did decide that we need to give the Crown Grill another shot, as maybe our experience there was just an off night and not indicative of what the experience should be.

After dinner we got our picture taken at the lone casual portrait location for the evening. Then we headed to the Princess Theater about 30 minutes early for Carlos Oscar. He is one of my favorite comics of all time and I wanted to be sure to get a seat, and boy am I glad we got there early. The Theater was already filling up and with about 10 minutes before the show it was standing room only. His performance was excellent as always and I am happy that he will be doing another different show later in the cruise.

By this time it was like 8:30 and we decided to call it a night and head to bed. We were losing an hour of sleep tonight so we felt like we needed to make it up [emoji6] . Much to my surprise the Steelers game was still going on and was on the cabin TV. So I watched the last 3 minutes, enough to see a great catch by Antonio Brown and another (yup that makes 4 this season) field goal to win the game! As my friend always says it only matters that you win, not by how much. Although I really am tired of these last minute come from behind wins, I would like to just blow out a team for once.

I slept like a rock and got up around 8:30, standing looking out the balcony door and hoping that I would be met with warmth when I opened it as the ominous clouds from yesterday seemed to have been left behind. I was met with a pleasantly warm breeze when I opened the door and am currently writing this from out there. Surprisingly DW is out and about and we ran down to breakfast in the MDR before they closed shop for the day.

I looked at the Patter for today and I have to admit I have been disappointed in the activities during the day. Now Im not hard to please, usually I just read a book and I am good, but the activities have been lack luster IMO and are more and more geared towards getting us to buy stuff. Spa seminars, art seminars, etc. Not really my cup of tea. So that part of the trip has been disappointing, but eh, Im on vacation and I have a good book I am making headway into.

Let us know how you like Peter Tredgett as CD. We had him once - on our very first cruise - and enjoyed him a lot. He seemed even better when we took our second cruise and had J J Ulrich. What a difference. Peter was funny and outgoing and J J was the absolute worst CD we have ever had.

Looking forward to more of your thread. Thanks for taking the time to post.

This is a great thread, thanks. Our 1st time on Ruby, 1st time with CC and Peter was a very good CG. We want to get together with AZ Don & Rose for info on our Jan 3,'18 Star Princess- Hawaii, to help with hosting a CC meet and greet. thx, DCuer- David & Susan

I forgot to post this last night. In the theater we sat next to a group of ladies in their 60s and 70s who were on their first cruise and they said the entered some kind of raffle in one of the shops and won elite status. I don’t believe they were lying but I had never heard of this. Of course they were light on the details.

We ate in the dining room for embarkation in October on the Star and had the veggie burger. We are as close to Vegan as possible. It was as reported, GROSS! Sort of a mass of tasteless goop really. Very disappointing!

Thank you for your live thread, these are always fun to follow!

We ate in the dining room for embarkation in October on the Star and had the veggie burger. We are as close to Vegan as possible. It was as reported, GROSS! Sort of a mass of tasteless goop really. Very disappointing!

Thank you for your live thread, these are always fun to follow![/quo

Ok now I am concerned. Feeling I won’t be adventurous now with the veggie burger. U hav all convinced me it’s not a good experience. Thanks