Cozumel - Why does HAL ships arrive 11:00 and leve late?

pauly

(sorry...meant to type leave).

I don't recall a nightlife in Cozumel. This Christmas we don't leave port until 11:00 pm? Two or three cruises I wanted to book for May had late arrival/departure too. I will ask it on the Cozumel boards, but passengers from other cruise lines usually just guess at the answer...

THANKS!

next port of call could be close
Next port of call (Ft Lauderdale or Key West) is not close but previous port Georgetown Grand Cayman is 20 or so hours away. Leaving Cozumel at 23:00 and traveling at 18 knots would put the ship at FLL around 6:00 after a full sea day. Edited by catl331

We came off Eurodam and were in Cozumel from 11 to 11. Why?

Sail time from prior port of Grand Cayman and sail time to next port of Key West

We have sailed out of Cozumel late at night in Christmas season and enjoyed seeing all the holiday lights and decorations as we sailed out of the port. Were they lit when you sailed out? I I am not implying THAT is s why you sailed late but why not ask your question on the ship where those who know may provide you with a n answer.. ? Better chance they know than we, l can only speculate. And it won't cost any internet minutes so ask them :) If you get an answer, please share with us..

We came off Eurodam and were in Cozumel from 11 to 11. Why? Sail time from prior port of Grand Cayman and sail time to next port of Key West
We have sailed out of Cozumel late at night in Christmas season and enjoyed seeing all the holiday lights and decorations as we sailed out of the port. Were they lit when you sailed out? I I am not implying that is the reason you sailed la te. DId YOU ask on he ship? Better chance to get an answer from those who kno w than from some who may speculate.

People frequently complain HAL doesn't stay long enough in ports....now too long???

HAL can't win...

I am NOT complaining about staying long in port, I was enquiring about the late arrival and why so long in port...is there something I am missing - some evening show, or snorkeling in the dark??

Edited by pauly

We have sailed out of Cozumel late at night in Christmas season and enjoyed seeing all the holiday lights and decorations as we sailed out of the port. Were they lit when you sailed out? I I am not implying that is the reason you sailed la te. DId YOU ask on he ship? Better chance to get an answer from those who kno w than from some who may speculate.

I was just curious if more seasoned travelers know the answer. That's all, but thank you!

I will ask the concierge on the ship

I am NOT complaining about staying long in port, I was enquiring about the long arrival and why so long in port...is there something I am missing - some evening show, or snorkeling in the dark??

The last time we were in Cozumel, we found some fantastic spots and yes, there was night life.

Sadly we had to leave earlier than you.

Some shore excursions may be going to Chichen Itza or Tulum to see the ruins which can take time too ;)

We stayed in Cozumel many years ago and flew to Chichen Itza. A very worthwhile visit :)

I just checked our January 28th sailing with a stop in Cozumel, and we're there from 11A - 11P as well. Although we've been there before, I don't recall leaving as late as that. I see the next day is a sea day for us, so we aren't in a hurry to get anywhere.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We have sailed over the last number of years out of Cozumel at 11 PM -- no holiday lights. Our sailings weren't at Christmas.

2011 we did Oosterdam day after Christmas 14 day cruise RT out of San Diego. Cozumel we had excursion to Chitzanitza sorry if spelled wrong. Was round trip at the time like 11 hrs!!!! Took a very long bus ride and was at the site which was so wonderful and we were the last that was able to climb to the top. Now it is closed due to erosion. We got back late after 11pm!! I believe the boat was scheduled to leave at 11.

So to make a long story short, maybe it is due to excursions .

Denise:)

I was just curious if more seasoned travelers know the answer. That's all, but thank you!

I will ask the concierge on the ship

By ll means, ask the concierge. If he or she does not know, aski him or her to get the answer. (S) he can ask Hot el Director or Captain. Captain sometimes pops into Neptune Lounge. :)

It seems very likely that the late departure is due to long shore excursions. We went to Tulum on our last visit instead of taking the longer drive to Chichenitza, so I’m assuming that the long hours in port is to enable people to enjoy these wonderful sites.

Did any of y'all see my Post #6.

The Eurodam left Grand Cayman at 4 pm on 11/22/17.

To reach the next port, Cozumel on 11/23/17 at 11 am, the ship has to maintain a speed of 18-19 knots.

The ship does not have to leave Cozumel until 11 pm on 11/23/17 in order to reach the next port, Key West, on 11/25/17 at 8 am.

In addition HAL offered five tours of ruins each 8 hours long leaving at 11:30 am, a sunset sailboat tour and my favorite the Hooters Restaurant Tour; only 10 minute walk back to ship so when the ship toots thats your 15 minute warning to get back to the ship :eek:. I confirmed this with the Hotel Manager, not the Hooters tour but our length of stay in Cozumel.

Now I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly- but that might be the night the ship puts on the big Mexican Fiesta on the top deck. They bring in a local mariachi band to entertain and they have a huge buffet. It was very festive and the mariachi singers were beautifully dressed. Twice while on HAL this event took place and it seems to me it was while in Cozumel. The late departure allows for the local band to perform and leave before the ship sails.

Next port of call (Ft Lauderdale or Key West) is not close but previous port Georgetown Grand Cayman is 20 or so hours away. Leaving Cozumel at 23:00 and traveling at 18 knots would put the ship at FLL around 6:00 after a full sea day.

We're on a different itinerary. We leave Santo Thomas at 1700 and arrive in Cozumel at noon. We leave Coz at 11PM. Our next day is a sea day and the next we debark at Tampa.

Normally, the night at Coz would be the last Gala night but that doesn't seem right having gala night tied to the pier.

Plus HAL offered five 8 hour tours that would not be back to ship until after 7:30 pm !

I don't question that written in the previous posts, however, I remember doing some of the same itineraries in years past and same ship, same class of ship was able to get from island A in the Caribbean to Island B in 5 hours but now it takes 9 or more hours? Did they MOVE some of t he islands? :D Same distance, unless they moved the islands, why would or should it have to take longer? Because they sail at lower speed and reduced fuel burn. I understand cruise lines are for profit businesses but it gets to the point the guest enjoyement and satisfaction and likelihood they will tell their friends an relative how great the product, has to haver some value When those in charge forget to provide that great cruise, they shoot them selves in the foot, iMMO. they need the guest to be satisified with their experience and feel attention was paid to makinng the cruise as good as possible and not just to saving money for the cruise line. If somthting is inferior, it doesn't matter if it is free, it will have little or no value or appeal. IMO

Edited by sail7seas