Sailing from Sydney to Hawaii, which side of the ship gets the most sun.

ladybird1292

Not in Australia, it runs 1 Sept to 30 Nov. an artefact of the fact that our seasons rally aren’t that variable over most of the Country.

Wrong. Google solstice and equinox. The sun crosses the equator at the same time in the northern and southern hemispheres. Now if your talking meteorological seasons then you are correct.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wrong. Google solstice and equinox. The sun crosses the equator at the same time in the northern and southern hemispheres. Now if your talking meteorological seasons then you are correct.

Theoretically the solstices and the equinoxes are in the middle of the seasons, not the respective seasons when it comes to weather conditions.

Using the Calender months just makes it easier.

Theoretically the solstices and the equinoxes are in the middle of the seasons, not the respective seasons when it comes to weather conditions.

Using the Calender months just makes it easier.

I'll acknowledge that you Aussies are special - but solstices are what they are - and not subject to regional definition: Dec. 21 (+/-) and June 21 (+/-) .

I'll acknowledge that you Aussies are special - but solstices are what they are - and not subject to regional definition: Dec. 21 (+/-) and June 21 (+/-) .

I don't dispute this, what I meant is that the Solstice is the height of the season not the start of it. It is well and truly hot before the summer solstice arrives.

The sun still rises in the east and sets in the west.

Not necessarily. We did a long land trip to Australia a few years back. I had many people convinced that the sun rose in the west because we were south of the equator. Just proves that you can fool some of the people all the time.

DON

Not necessarily. We did a long land trip to Australia a few years back. I had many people convinced that the sun rose in the west because we were south of the equator. Just proves that you can fool some of the people all the time.

DON

LOL, that would explain why the water goes down the drain the other way as well.;p

As mentioned port side would likely get the most afternoon sun.

My recommendation on this type of sailing is to place more emphasis on where on the deck you are located rather then on what side but if you like to spend a lot of time on your balcony and the sun is important then go with the port side.

Keith

I don't dispute this, what I meant is that the Solstice is the height of the season not the start of it. It is well and truly hot before the summer solstice arrives.

Perhaps Australia is really special after all. In the US the coldest part of winter is generally in January and February - well after the December solstice; and Summer's real heat hits us in July and August - again well after the June solstice.

Do you sail on ships where higher deck balconies extend further out than lower ones?

When the sun is more or less directly overhead, a balcony above that extends the same distance as your own will block the sun. It doesn't need to extend further, just the same distance.

Perhaps Australia is really special after all. In the US the coldest part of winter is generally in January and February - well after the December solstice; and Summer's real heat hits us in July and August - again well after the June solstice.

This would depend on where you live. In our area, the coldest average temps are in the 10-20 days at and just after the December solstice. But more rain (which usually warms us) comes in January and February.

I am aware the worst winter storms in the Midwest and Eastern areas do come after January 1. But the US is a big country...just like Australia.

This would depend on where you live. In our area, the coldest average temps are in the 10-20 days at and just after the December solstice. But more rain (which usually warms us) comes in January and February.

I am aware the worst winter storms in the Midwest and Eastern areas do come after January 1. But the US is a big country...just like Australia.

Coldest weather in San Francisco happens in July -- according to Mark Twain. :D It wasn't unusual to leave the office with a coat and get off the train in the East Bay in 90 deg heat.

When the sun is more or less directly overhead, a balcony above that extends the same distance as your own will block the sun. It doesn't need to extend further, just the same distance.

OP was interested in "afternoon sun" - which for the most part is not directly overhead - a ship on a generally northbound course from Australia to Hawaii will have the afternoon sun to port - regardless of how overhead balconies extend.

Seasonal lag is a bit complicated and different north and south of the Equator. The Earth is at perihelion in early January and aphelion in early July. So for the Southern Hemisphere summer, we are closer to the Sun and there is much less seasonal lag. Summer in Australia starts many weeks before the solstice. When I immigrated form Australia to the US many years ago, having seasons start at the equinoxes and solstices seemed totally ridiculous to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both a very large land masses that have huge differences in temperatures from one part to another.

Currently sweltering with 39 Celcius (103 f) here. Summer has definitely been around longer than two weeks.

Both a very large land masses that have huge differences in temperatures from one part to another.

Currently sweltering with 39 Celcius (103 f) here. Summer has definitely been around longer than two weeks.

Only 39, 42 here at 4:45 tomorrow is meant to be hotter, I hope they’ve fixed the air con at the hospital recovery ward.

• 1 month later...
As mentioned port side would likely get the most afternoon sun.

My recommendation on this type of sailing is to place more emphasis on where on the deck you are located rather then on what side but if you like to spend a lot of time on your balcony and the sun is important then go with the port side.

Keith

Thanks Keith, sorry for my late response, we decided to book Portside, so that's great confirmation.