Puerto Rico cruise documentation nightmare

Netopr

This is just one more reason why many experienced cruisers/travelers have long urged all cruisers to obtain a valid Passport (with at least 6 months of remaining validity) prior to any trip outside the USA. You could pave a street with the tears of those who have run into documentation issues....and not have a Passport.

Hank

Absolutely spot on--- but I cannot resist commenting on your metaphor: "...pave a street with the tears..."; were you thinking, perhaps, of Venice?

Thanks everyone for your contribution to this post, i really appreciate your thoughts and honesty.

I didnt really research on the birth certificate much since i called Royal Caribbean one week before the cruise ship departure date and they told me as long as the BC is government issued, you will have no problems boarding the ship. I also called to verify other things such as id for a recent teenager who turned 16 on November.

I mean why would RC offer support on travel documentation but then on their policy they specify that we should check with the government travel restrictions. The local government is a mess right now due to hurricane Maria and their lines dont work. The only office that was open on Saturday that could provide the newer BC was closed due to hurricane Maria.

Bottom line i have learned a very painful lesson. I will never trust a birth certificate again and will only use passport from now on. The most painful part of all this is that this cruise was planned for the specific purpose of all my family and wifes family to spend quality time with me, my wife and my kids since we are the only ones that live out of PR and we havent seen them since about a year. Some family members didnt even know my one yr old son. Some even wanted to cancel their trip but i kind of obligated them to go! I even made payment plans for some of them since they couldn't pay for the trip all in one..

This will never be repaired even if they give me my money back..

Thanks

Too bad neither yours or your wife's relatives didn't let you know about the birth certificate issue back when they were changed. I feel if I had a relative that lived out of country, I would try to keep them in the know, especially with something so specific. Also, I agree with the poster that says at the time you booked the cruise, you should have checked the dates on the passports. Good reminder for us all to do that.

And in defense of all the cruiselines, do you really think they can keep up with the rules of every country in existence, and the rules inplace as to dual this and dual that, and who lives here and there, etc?

And in defense of all the cruiselines, do you really think they can keep up with the rules of every country in existence, and the rules inplace as to dual this and dual that, and who lives here and there, etc?

They (cruise line) sure knew what was NOT acceptable!

Not offering an excuse ... to me it is just another example of 'travel with a passport' ...... and avoid problems like this.

I just booked a cruise for July and the next thing I did was check our passports ...... even tho I KNEW they had at least 5 years good ....

Too bad neither yours or your wife's relatives didn't let you know about the birth certificate issue back when they were changed. I feel if I had a relative that lived out of country, I would try to keep them in the know, especially with something so specific. Also, I agree with the poster that says at the time you booked the cruise, you should have checked the dates on the passports. Good reminder for us all to do that.

Not "country".

"Area"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They (cruise line) sure knew what was NOT acceptable

The port personnel, which is different from the people who answer the phones. And it is more than likely, the computers at the port knew the rules.

I have to wonder how well publicized Puerto Rico's change regarding birth certificates would have been. After all, how many people in the U S are aware of the implications involved in requiring enhanced drivers licenses - does every resident of every non-compliant understand what is involved?

While I agree that the line "...knew what was not acceptable...", as dd likes to cruise posted, they obviously also know that library cards or Costco membership cards are not acceptable - so, rather than providing an endless list of what will not work, they simply advise passengers that it is their responsibility to have appropriate documentation.

They (cruise line) sure knew what was NOT acceptable

The people checking passengers in at port are not cruise line employees but port employees.

Welcome to the Club of Self- Induced Travel Problems. I won’t tell you about our ‘We’re flying back on Tuesday the 22nd’ Rome story. 🤦 You’re not the first or last that this will happen to. Hopefully someone else will learn from your mistake.

Might have been able to have gotten a Passport issued the same day when you discovered the expired passport. Check the regulations, when I did my passport in 2007 I was able to use a passport that had expired within a certain time frame.

Could your wife get a new BC now since you’re in PR?

The best thing to do in the future is to fill out your paperwork as soon as you book your cruise.

I have to wonder how well publicized Puerto Rico's change regarding birth certificates would have been. After all, how many people in the U S are aware of the implications involved in requiring enhanced drivers licenses - does every resident of every non-compliant understand what is involved?

While I agree that the line "...knew what was not acceptable...", as dd likes to cruise posted, they obviously also know that library cards or Costco membership cards are not acceptable - so, rather than providing an endless list of what will not work, they simply advise passengers that it is their responsibility to have appropriate documentation.

It was very well publicized and all of the cruise lines had the information on their websites as did CBP. Evidently RCI decided the information was no longer necessary on their website...as did CBP, which was unfortunate for the OP. I do know that CCL and NCL continue to carry this info on their websites, not sure of any of the others. It's hard to perform one's due diligence if the information isn't available from the sources one would expect it to be available from.(And there is no requirement in the US to have enhanced drivers licenses, there is rather a requirement to have a license that is compliant with the REAL ID act. Two completely different animals and it would help everyone to keep the terms consistent. I can use my Enhanced Drivers License to cross the border, someone with a REAL ID compliant ID cannot.)

The issue regarding birth certificates was highly publicized; sorry you missed this. As you’ve found out, your wife needed to apply for a new BC.

It’s not the cruise line or a TA’s responsibility to insure you have correct travel documentation.

I don’t know if any prepaid expenses will be refunded. Check with the cruise line.

I agree... this was highly publicized and I immediately requested mine. Passports, driver licenses and legal documentation of identity are very important, now more than ever.

I agree... this was highly publicized and I immediately requested mine. Passports, driver licenses and legal documentation of identity are very important, now more than ever.

Then, it would appear that the fault is more clearly on the shoulders of the person denied boarding.

I was unaware of the BC issues for people born on the island. Just did some poking around online ... seems this law was passed to reduce fraud.

Read: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124827546

If indeed there is any suspicion of fraud ... then the United States Dept of State should require that anyone who obtained a passport with an old-style BC must provide a new'style BC to renew their passport. If fraud was the issue, why assume validity for any passport issued before this law was passed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

So many posters here seem adamant that the BC change was very well publicized ... perhaps on the island and in mainland communities with a significant Puerto Rican population. But, what about other areas? I read a lot and I'm a news junkie ... and all of this news to me.

I am really sorry the OP and his family had to deal with this whole mess and, worst of all, miss a much-anticipated vacation with his immediate and extended family.

So many posters here seem adamant that the BC change was very well publicized ... perhaps on the island and in mainland communities with a significant Puerto Rican population. But, what about other areas? I read a lot and I'm a news junkie ... and all of this news to me.

I am really sorry the OP and his family had to deal with this whole mess and, worst of all, miss a much-anticipated vacation with his immediate and extended family.

Unless I am grossly misreading the original post, the poster and wife are from Puerto Rico and the rest of the family still lives there.

Unless I am grossly misreading the original post, the poster and wife are from Puerto Rico and the rest of the family still lives there.

Yes, I understand the OP and his wife to be from the island ... and they moved to the mainland before Puerto Rico law nullified BCs from earlier than a certain 2010 date.

Yes, it would seem other family members remained on the island ... and there is no way to know why they may not have shared the new BC info ... perhaps they didn't think it to be important considering it seems both the OP and his wife already had passports. No way of knowing.

I was wondering if it could be a liability thing for the cruiselines? What I mean is that if something changes between when someone books as far as what is required, and the line had said at that time they were fine, would they have to notify everyone affected somehow, or be responsible? I assumed that's why they say we are all need to check for ourselves.

I was wondering if it could be a liability thing for the cruiselines? What I mean is that if something changes between when someone books as far as what is required, and the line had said at that time they were fine, would they have to notify everyone affected somehow, or be responsible? I assumed that's why they say we are all need to check for ourselves.

This puts it very well: the line does not want to (and should not have to) accept ANY responsibility for possible changes in travel requirements. Their best course is to make it clear that travel documentation is solely the responsibility of the passenger: to do otherwise would leave them open to all sorts of claims.

Good point LH, :)

Adult people customarily are responsible for their own needs. If someone wishes to travel, one would expect they can find ttheir way to getting necesssary information to plan safe and successful travel for themselves and their family. Does no one get the conc ept of self-responsibility anymore? It is not always up to someone else to take care of everything for us. Sometimes it is our responsibility and sometimes we must individually take the blame for what might go wrong. JMO

OP, you did the right thing, you came to a forum full of people who aggregately have done a great deal of travel and cruising an d you asked. You have gotten answers, now you decide what to do. Please let us know what you decide

I am under the same impression and wonder why their family did not say anything to them about the B.Cx. it is a big deal when they all had to get new B.C';s. funny no mention was made.

I have the impression that the rest of the family all have still-valid passports.

The rest of the family lives in Puerto Rico and would have ben aware t they had to swithc to new style paspors. I am surpsrised jjo one advised their relative that had left Puerto rico and was living away form the 'daily news' whee r he would have learned the old passports were no longer valid. When they all g\ot their new ones, maybe one of the family would have told the relative who now lives in Maryland. :)

The rest of the family lives in Puerto Rico and would have ben aware t they had to swithc to new style paspors. I am surpsrised jjo one advised their relative that had left Puerto rico and was living away form the 'daily news' whee r he would have learned the old passports were no longer valid. When they all g\ot their new ones, maybe one of the family would have told the relative who now lives in Maryland. :)

As far as I know there is no new style passports, it's the birth certificate that was the issue. If OP's passports were still unexpired they would have had no issue getting on the ship. When they discovered that their passport was expired they switched to plan B, which was to use birth certificates. Unfortunately under Puerto Rican law any passport issued before 2010 is no longer valid. If OP had checked the RCI or CBP website then they would have found no information indicating that there was a problem with their birth certificate's validity, which is the fly in the ointment. I agree with your earlier post about personal responsibility and all, and ultimately it is the passenger's responsibility to make sure they have the correct documentation but one would think that the information they need would be readily available.